Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Level packs (Boost to 50, Boost to 100, Boost to 150, Boost to 199).

Level packs (Boost to 50, Boost to 100, Boost to 150, Boost to 199).

Now a detailed post regarding my full views on this matter.

As a USA player, I feel most of the time I'm playing a solo online game. There are several times when I check lft and there are zero ppl on lft at 220 range. If there's 3/4 playesr on lft at that time, there's prolly around zero around tls 1 to tl4. Thankfully, I have a few decent org mates, who can do any pf in the game with only 3/4 players. Why are there so few people?

It's because the active population of ao is shrinking rather than growing. The worst thing is a small population will inevitably lead to a smaller population. Why is that? I believe the reasons to be self evident; however I will list them.

Consider a new player that joins the game at this point. He sees few people on lft and has a hard time getting teams to do things. He doesn't know about neutnet, or other things. When he does find a team, it doesn't have a great leveling rate unless it's with outside pockets and etc. He tries to gear himself, he doesn't make enough credits trying to farm things at lowbie levels. Since all the mobs that he will kill, most likely drop at best monster parts and occasional pearl. He doesn't know about all the little tricks that took us all an year atleast to figure out regarding making money at lower levels. So, he's short on credits, leveling slow with regular teams which he won't get really.

Now he lands in a pocket team, which is also rarish nowadays and gets a big lvl boost; however, he's unable to pay for newer gear. Even imps look expensive to him. He has a couple options, buy credits or scrounge around with monster parts and finding a friendly tser. Option 2 looks really bad. So he then decides is AO really worth it to him? He sees desolated lfts, few real teams, only pocket teams that will level him faster than he can gear himself without having a significant amount of credits.

He will most likely leave the game at this point. Now, people might say, you need to read about ao on 3rd party forums like ao-universe and get in a good organization. Now, to expect people to spend time reading over ao-universe to have a better understanding of ao is sort of ridicolous. How do you expect someone to know what to search for in that pile of information. Most new players don't even know what expansions they have installed and etc. They could spend hours looking at info that doesn't even apply to them. So 3rd party sites aren't useful, since they a wealth of info, and some of which is outdated considering the current times of AO.
    Especially those newbie years were written years ago. For example,who actually buys subway loot anymore and etc....

So, 3rd party sites aren't a good option at all. What about a good organization. Most experienced organizations will not recruit new players unless that's what their focus is.
    So now, he joins an organization. Most orgs on rk2 have low numbers, while there are some helpful people in the org, they aren't always on, and he feels like a charity case. He'll be sitting around most of the time with very little help from his org m8s, since they aren't on or busy working on their toons which are at a higher tl range.

The best experience would be for him to join an org of people that are just as new as him. So they can enjoy figuring out new things together and leveling together. However, the sad fact is there aren't really any orgs anymore at the level. Why? It's a circular problem. As the appeal of mmo goes down, less new players join, hence lowbie orgs become less common, which leads to fewer new players staying in the game, and lowbiew orgs become even less common and so on.
    So it's self-fullfilling destructive cycle of the newbie population of the game.

People wonder why newbie won't stick? Games have an appeal and if someone gets hooked to a game, it usually happens within a couple weeks. However, AO at the current state of things, has very limited appeal to new players (outdated graphics, low population, not newbie friendly, lack of information on official FC sites regarding how to play the game, there's not even the equivalanent of auno.org from FC).

So either way with leveling packs or no leveling packs, there will be very low newbie population in this game that will continue to die out as time progress. Since pocket teams level too fast for new players to adequately gear themselves without turning to credit buying, even then, there's an information problem regarding what to do.

However, now you might think why not give leveling packs then? If it doesn't hurt newbies, who might it hurt it then. It'll hurt the community in the end. Not everyone has the money to buy
    a powerleveled toon, but there's a several that do. That means less veterans doing outside pocket teams, which means other veterans who aren't as finacially well off, will have a harder problem rolling new toons. So they would have more frustration with this game.

Everyone that has played AO has some frustration with it at time to time. There are some players who will become more frustrated with the lack of even outside tank kite teams at lower levels, and just give up with leveling alts.

Though, there might be some people who are happy with these boosted levels. However, let's consider this. A veteran player with a 220 quits b/c he can't buy a new toon and it's hard to level one. So there's going to be less toons at the tl7 range. Now, we have this dude with a boosted 199 but there'll be less players(not toons) to do content with to take it to 220, since the veterans that can' t afford buying leveling packs gave up leveling alts. So now both the guy that bought the toon and the guy that can't are frustrated.

So while FC profits in the shortrun from this action, it doesn't look promising in the long run in terms of overall veteran subscriptions.

Therefore, so with leveling packs, we'll have a contraction yet again in tl7 population, as more people grow more frustrated and quit the game.

It's not for the newbies, it's for us.

Supporters to remove it: Note: if there is inaccuracies, shoot me a tell.
    Anarchic1
    RedWatr
    Fumlebien
    MountainGoat
    Fixer01
    Sama
    Mostlymagic
    Tanana
    Lletah
    Rush3r
    Kinkstaah
    Techtoxic
    Alternity
    Werevixen
    Ofabrk2
    RemodCrat
    Marinegent
    Silq
    Darkstabber
    Hardcore
    PhoenixOfAges
    Lackofgravy
    Tinypain
    Xyphos
    Chrazy
    Sscorpy
    Iolanda
    Pharmguy
    Ciekafsky
    Butsut3kkai
    Insane666
    Nanoryl
    Larrs
    Kordova
    Blackmesa
    Razishlyat
    Last edited by Anarchic1; Nov 18th, 2010 at 05:28:22.
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

Dude, did you even read the notes?

Level boost is only applicable if you already have a 220 main.

I support this wonderful idea.
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

I think it's a terrible idea, and yes I know it requires you have a 220 main. But everytime a 220 levels an alt, he helps some newbies along away. We won't have that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic1 View Post
    I think it's a terrible idea, and yes I know it requires you have a 220 main. But everytime a 220 levels an alt, he helps some newbies along away. We won't have that anymore
    i have to agree with this part.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

I would make it 25-50, 80-100, 125-150, 170-199. Those are the annoying periods of leveling imo, and there would still be people around for the other "naturals" to level with.
    Last edited by Mountaingoat; Nov 13th, 2010 at 01:02:47.

You don't even know the cost yet. I won't pay more than a few dollars, if that, for a boosted toon.
    Hellrule 220/30/70 - Your future Crat Dictator
    Secretly Clan

I won't pay any money for that, its just to easy to level as it is unless its 99cents or something, oh all my slots are full anyway lmao. Have voiced my opinion on buyable vp a few times now its the only thing I really have a problem with and no I'm not more then a casualy pvper when there is nothing else to do hehe.
    Last edited by mainframe; Nov 13th, 2010 at 01:39:09.
    HEAR MY WAR CRY "NOT IN THE FACE, NOT IN THE FACE"

My Pillow of Death shall SMITE THEE!

everytime a 220 levels an alt, he shows new players what the disastrous pocket/kite leveling is like.
    Fixed this for you.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Noobs will actually be forced to learn their profession as they level up, and equip them accordingly, instead of just blazting through 1-160 in a week, before heading to inferno with med suit and QL20 implants.
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

I agree with strup theres no effort in leveling in this game, nor do you necessarily gain any knowledge of your profession.

However giving people the option to bypass this terrible flawed leveling system by simply paying is in no way a healthy solution.
    Last edited by Fumlebien; Nov 13th, 2010 at 02:19:51.
    Instability:
    Humlebien
    Neophyte
    Whereishumle
    Callmebetty
    Humlox
    Betty
    Melankolia

I don't know about you guys, but the people that are actually new, don't do kite teams as much as you think.... They also continuously gear their toons. We have a couple new players in our org, rl friends and that's their playing style.

bump for this idea to be removed

DF 4 LIFE!

I don't know about you guys, but the people that are actually new, don't do kite teams as much as you think.... They also continuously gear their toons. We have a couple new players in our org, rl friends and that's their playing style.
    Little fun story for you.

I was leveling in a normal heck team on my MP when WHAM, this OST runs us over with his hecks! 4 people in the team leave out of frustration!

Moral of the story: It's hard as hell to level without some ******* with 70 hecks running you over.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by fixer01 View Post
    bump for this idea to be removed

df 4 life!
    df?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

i think this is a band-aide fix for the leveling issue and i hope it wont make it in game, or will cost quite the pretty penny...

the level packs seem like a bad idea

How is this even a remotely bad idea? there are already "companies" out there that offer this ervice that people use. I just see it as FC stomping on their faces and taking their revenue,. Which is fine by me.
    ....................................-Eridonis-
    ................-Sleighbells-................-Northpole-
    ....-Psyche-...............-Decembersky-...........-Karma-
    ...............-Winterbelle-.................-Snowing-
    .....................................-Graffiti-

what other games do that december?
    Scempio General of Midnight Society

First step: Level boosters for people with 220's

Second step: Level boosters for anyone with the cash.

Won't be long.

The leveling process isn't nearly as bad as it was 3 or 4 years ago. Daily's have helped a lot so I don't see why there is a need to skip levels this way, even for vets (and btw, I don't really consider someone with a 220 a vet).

I was interested in the Mentor system, seemd like that was going to be a good idea. Did it get trashed?

if this happens i might really keep playing this game until reaper knocks the door
    Forever yours. Otmoz.

Duel/solo stats can be faked. Side xp cant be. TL7 nw for life

if this wont happen, fc could atleast remove hecklers from this game to make leveling interesting
    Forever yours. Otmoz.

Duel/solo stats can be faked. Side xp cant be. TL7 nw for life

Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast