Thread: Buffpack compromise: 90% and reroll

Buffpack compromise: 90% and reroll

I believe I'm pretty firmly on record as not being a fan of the upcoming buff packs. My criticism, and that of the less trollish opponents basically boils down to three points:

1. It waters down the MMO aspect by making some of the most specialized stuff available without the pesky issue of interacting with another human. Bear in mind, even if FC does their best to lock this down combat-wise there's still going to be unintended consequences like, say, a lowbie enforcer using mochams/wrangle packs to pop top-tier Mongo/Challenger seconds before entering combat.

2. Slap in the face to everyone who made a buff class in order to be social. What happens to all the people who, say, rolled a MP because handing out +140 nanoskills makes them feel good but don't particularly like how the class itself plays?

3. Massive gameplay changes to deal with this are likely to make gameplay for the "buff totem" professions radically different from what people signed on for. This one's probably ultimately good but it potentially screws the hell out of around 20% of all characters created pre-rebalance. It's also probably applicable to all classes, really, due to the scope of the proposed changes.

I suggest a two step compromise that will maybe make everyone reasonably happy.

Part 1: Instead of copying over the major buffs as-is into the buff packs, tone them down a little bit so they are not *quite* as good as what players can offer--90-95% seems about right. So a +131 wrangle might become a +115 or +120 buff pack. Still enough for some major on-the-fly twinkage, but if you want the very best stuff you'll just have to hunt down a trader.

Part 2: Once all of the rebalance has been released and right before "AO 2.0" is considered officially completed, all existing characters are given the ability to change profession one time. This would work like a full IPR i.e. no items or imps when it happens and it clears all skills, perks, nanos, whatever else might be class-specific and leaves you with a shiny new profession and a big pile of xp/sk/vp/etc. Again, I stress that this would be a one-off deal made in light of the fact that, due to every profession being majorly reworked, many players are likely to be better suited with a different profession than they started with--not everybody has a stable of 220s available to "sacrifice" one that's no longer fun to play.

What happens to all the people who, say, rolled a MP because handing out +140 nanoskills makes them feel good but don't particularly like how the class itself plays?
    I'd love to meet these people! Cause I've never known anyone who rolled a toon cause they felt warm and fuzzy about giving buffs
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

I believe a couple of people self-identified as such in Saetos' mini-threadnought, and a friend of mine supposedly went MP so he could help a couple of us be better at the game. And on a personal note, my one real AO regret is so far not ever taking the time to make a fixer capable of popping GSF on everybody cause it's just the coolest thing ever. So there are at least some people who feel that way, though obviously the endless buff begging probably ultimately turns a lot of them off on the whole thing.

They see me trollin' , they hatin'
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Ill bump this. Good idea.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

How about we stop stumbling over each other with ideas how to do it "better" before we know these decisive facts:

1. Cost
    2. One-time use, limited number of charges or permanent?

If it costs 5-10 bucks and is one-time use or limited charges, you can scrap all your objections. And even if its a permanent item - how many MPs and Traders are actually still playing right now and may have their feelings hurt?

As for your suggestion to change profession at some point. Lets put that back into the box of really bad ideas and forget about it.

They give you the ability to skip 199 levels. Re-roll if you're not happy with your toons anymore. Complaining about buff packs (without knowing all the facts) and then suggesting a prof change just because of a long overdue stat-deflation (I prefer that term over re-balance)? No, doesnt make sense to me.
    ಠ_ಠ

Even if it costs 1 dollar/euro for a 1 shot wrangle, or whatever they choose to charge, then I find it interesting how everyone pretty much without exception are of the opinion that everyone will be throwing loads of money at this store to avoid having to ask for a buff! It must mean that FC made a really good choice businesswise if you're all so very interested in paying for these things. So why object? You obviously want it.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I'd love to meet these people! Cause I've never known anyone who rolled a toon cause they felt warm and fuzzy about giving buffs
    I love help ppl with my doc and NT - whenever I see buff ask I reply when its occasion to help out.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

I also do "community service" at OAG.
    President of Deadly Whisper
    Engineer Waqu2
    MP Metach
    + Many more alts that i wont list here

I LOVE giving out moochies and infuses.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    I LOVE giving out moochies and infuses.
    It's true. He'll stand in the middle of Bore spamming OOC, Shipping, and Vicinity just begging people to let him buff them. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.