Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replica Armors

I do like the idea of easily obtainable armours for some situations. For example, you may not be one for leveling at all but enjoy the aspect of RP in AO immensely. After spending time creating depth in your character, if you're not exactly well equipped it becomes difficult to create a good look if the character role includes some perhaps more difficult to obtain armour and equipment.

I do understand the frustration for those who've spent time and effort to earn it the long way, and I appreciate that. But there's also benefits to this new implementation in that characters designed purely to progress a player-run event for example would look more believable in their roles due to an appropriate outfit that a low level could obtain.

The availability of armours could benefit the immersion as well as destroy it. As for the roleplaying community, I'm pretty confident we know roughly where to draw the line and what outfits would be most appropriate for our characters, so I see no real negative impact on roleplay if you're playing with those you know and are comfortable with.

After all, I think we're pretty used to pretending the thongs and panda helmets don't exist when we see the non-roleplayers wandering about.
    = Captain "Arthazar" Harcrow (Captain of The Phoenix Fortune)
    = Reporter "Lucetta" Phoenix (IRRK Freelance Reporter)
    = Sir "Sterlings" Furlocke (The Old English Trading Co.)
    = Dr. Malcom "Cormack" Ardman (University of Borealis)
    = "Paulon" McPhasefront, "Georj" Hairyson, "Johnar" Lemon & "Morninn" Starr (The Leetles)
    = "Gridfeed" (Camera Drone)
    = Director "Dartello" Marello (Black-Net)
    = DCI "Validius" Hunt (Department of Investigations)
    = DS John "Streller" (Department of Investigations)

= Major "Jimako" Jones (OTAF)
    = Mack "Teffler" Falloway (Clan hunter/trader)

Quote Originally Posted by Leileena View Post
    Damn... I remember a time where everyone in AO had equal chances, not depending on the chances they had in their real life. Playing computer games, to me, is a way of escaping from reality for a moment. Now reality comes right back and slaps me in the face when I log on and see a dimwit powergamer in ICC armor. Good job guys, good job.
    Well put! I Fully agree, and you've described it perfectly right there.

Perhaps a tad off topic, But importent that there is a general Thought about the ingame store not only pertaining to "0-199 booster packs etc"

Automatic leveling packs, or Replica Armors, this change is not good in my oppinion.
    Connecting financial situation with results in-game is not a good thing.
    For instance, Funcom publicly really don't like goldfarmers, right?

GameplayItems / xp / vp buyable for Real Life cash?

So FC is now in the goldfarming and powerleveling bussiness..

ncie.. >.>

@On the metagameing sitetrack. in the thread.

well.. there is metagameing and then there is metagameing.. I may have a strict thought of what is metagameing, but then again..
    Whenever you delve into roleplaying you´ll meet loads of people interested in "power"RolePlaying.
    Mostly or ( in many case ONLY ) interested in roleplaying their own InCharacter "Uuberness"..

Of course, it may be nicer to Roleplay a character beeing "better" then others in wahtever way.

In any case.. be it that, or straight up metagameing. this is really THE! only reason I only Roleplay minimally theese days. ( As upposed like I did in 2002/2003 spent 99.9% of My time in AO Roleplaying )

So waht I really meen is, dont use the word "metagameing" lightly and if so explain exactly and precisely WHY you deem things as metagameing.

Otherwise you may end up in a 5hour debate class or unsubscribing from AO ^^

Sure, I agree with some or most Pheats and Kintaii written here in the thread..
    however.. last GreenCloaks the ARK there described something a bit different..
    and more importent

"common god damned decency"

As in sure the map can tell always who is what Faction. But should all have access to this tech InCharacter?

hell I heared many rolePlayers claim that it isnt metagameing, to always know everythign about everyone in ao.
    (as in ALL info that is obtainable about a character through "info" clickin the toon, AND searching History on auno or an ingame Vha.bot etc IS Always! Obtainable to EVERYONE instantly)

this I disagree with... (I call it metagameing) But Im sad to say I know a fair few people that think this is fair-play.

WTB:
    "what is metagameing" By ARK article.
    Also for partly publicly display the ARK events training seminar text.

(since those time i had em quoted to me by an ARK Ive fully agreed, and they contradict much of what the common RPer on rubika nowadays say is fair. sadly )

Last edited by PereatMundus; Nov 19th, 2010 at 12:54:01.
    -You must be the change you wish to see-
    (Omni-Mining) Iivanov Clark (Iivanov) Gear 200-Soldier
    (Omni-Mining) Tamena (Tamena) Gear 85-Trader
    Omni-Mining | Omni-Mining Propaganda | Omni-Pol
    Atlantean RP gimp since dec 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Lylith View Post
    You know what really irks me? Back when the social tab was introduced someone from FC (I think it was Means) stated that no one would be able to wear armor/items locked to another profession or side. Back then the decision was explained by wanting to keep the visual differences between the factions/professions.
    Guess that changed now that money is involved...
    Quote Originally Posted by crude4gone View Post
    Sadly Kintaii already more or less confirmed they don't give a damn about any RP aspects of the game when it comes to these armor sets. So they are probably here to stay.
    It appears as though we've been sailed down the river because micro transactions are more important.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by PereatMundus View Post
    As in sure the map can tell always who is what Faction. But should all have access to this tech InCharacter?

hell I heared many rolePlayers claim that it isnt metagameing, to always know everythign about everyone in ao.
    (as in ALL info that is obtainable about a character through "info" clickin the toon, AND searching History on auno or an ingame Vha.bot etc IS Always! Obtainable to EVERYONE instantly)

this I disagree with... (I call it metagameing) But Im sad to say I know a fair few people that think this is fair-play.

A few years back we had a very long and drawn out discussion inside of the Rimorian RP Community regarding Metagaming. The conclusion which most of the community agreed upon is that outside of Breed and Gender you shouldn't know anything about a character unless they or someone else tells you that information.

The idea of "I pushed a button, now I know all I need to know about you." is lame, and it degrades the quality of Roleplaying as a whole.
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    The idea of "I pushed a button, now I know all I need to know about you." is lame, and it degrades the quality of Roleplaying as a whole.

/Agreed

Sadly people, some new some oldtimers still thinks this ok.

To be even more specific; I've heared people say, (In discussion with me) that Even thou!! A roleplayer Goes through tremendous effort of ingame cash and assembling items, to build a roleplay situation:
    they would -totally- ignore this... and choose "right click" info BEFORE going by this players effort.

In this case, an agent (not me (Areania) But the other omni RP agent on atlantean, Ariensky ) Uses the neutral undercover kit, to change faction to Neutral changes her face with the ingame agent nano and changes body with ingame surgury clinic.

Then Roleplays as an undercover agent in neutral teritory under another name..

I ACTUALLY!!! heared people say they would -completely- ignore this effort, cause *quote*"the name over her head is still Ariensky" Thus they know hwo she is..

THIS is what I call metagameing, and generally beeing ignorant of another persons extreeme effort in a clearly positive productive way to further nice RP situations.

Di****able..

Then again, no rules set in stone, nothing stopping anyone to do what they like, I just personally... think this is simply lacking of common decency and destructive.
    Last edited by PereatMundus; Nov 19th, 2010 at 13:48:55.
    -You must be the change you wish to see-
    (Omni-Mining) Iivanov Clark (Iivanov) Gear 200-Soldier
    (Omni-Mining) Tamena (Tamena) Gear 85-Trader
    Omni-Mining | Omni-Mining Propaganda | Omni-Pol
    Atlantean RP gimp since dec 2001

Funcom employee

(A) Everyone has an opinion about the store. You guys wanna talk about stuff outside of the armours, go discuss it in the 18.4 forums - Not in here. Not really relevant to the general theme of this area. Next person to bring up store stuff beyond the armours up gets a whackin' with the moderation bat. QUESTIONING THIS (I am looking at a few of you in particular) gets you a *bigger* whackin' with the moderation bat. Move the topic somewhere else as of right now. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

(B) Sorry, Trousers, but you are wrong. Rubi-Ka is a world where technical equipment, nanos, suits of armour, weaponry, even dumb non-mechanical objects like sticks know your side. It is *not* metagaming to be able to tell someone is Omni or Clan or Neutral from a glance; it is the world you live in. Now, that said, someone being able to look at you and tell you your pet's name and your dad's favourite colour? Yes, that is metagaming. But in the world of Rubi-Ka, in the year 29484, in a place where nanobots make the impossible possible every single waking moment... being able to detect someone's faction through a built-in internal HUD "friend-or-foe" overlay? Not that far-fetched, and something supported both in terms of gameplay and official story.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on (B) for now, Kintaii.

There are things that are ingame or game mechanics and to me do not belong to the whole IC universe and thus have to be ignored from time to time...Yes I have read the funny guide to roleplay and I know how that sounds...
    Examples:
    "Perk Reset Provider NPC"
    Beast being killed over and over again
    HP/NP/Damage displays, etc.

So if you are saying that a run of the mill HUD for personal and civilian use can easily and at a glance distinguish between the factions I have to ask: How in the hell does it do that? Is everyone injected with nanobots that transmit his or her faction to everyone? Is there a public information database that all those HUDs are connected to that provides them with all the information free of charge, without any regard for privacy or safety and without any regard to the position/standing of the user(ie: free to everyone)?

Regarding the weapons/items your explanation is a bit too much of "nanobots did it". Isn't it much simpler to think that there are actual laws that prohibit the use of those items?
    In the case of the Redeemed/Unredeemed it's pretty simple: You are fighting for us and thus are not allowed to use the unholy/impure/whatever weapons that ourt enemies use. Use our weapons instead to show your standing within our group and as a sign of respect...or you will be shot/cast out.
    Same for the Omni/Clan factions: Clans do not use items from their former oppressors and Omni-Tek will not let anyone use Clan items as that would imply that the Clans made something better than Omni-Tek was able to. That makes more sense for Omni-Tek than for the Clans seeing as OT is very anal about controlling their workforce, but it still explains it well enough.
    Jane "Lylith" Doe - former Omni-Pol employee - There is no knowledge that is not power.

Funcom employee

There's some stuff you have to ignore in terms of gameplay and setting, that I agree with - You can't rationalize *everything* in an MMORPG. Try to do that and you'll go insane (trust me, as a dude who likes rationalizing stuff, i know ;P).

There's some stuff, though, that's definitely far-fetched in AO and a lot harder to ignore. Suppression gas as a great example; according to canonical information (ie: the animated series), Suppression Gas automatically forms a shield around anyone in the area if they're attacked. I... don't find it that difficult to assume that a weapon might have some form of internal mechanism that recognizes DNA in the wielder and either puts up a repulsive field or otherwise just refuses to work if the DNA isn't coded with the proper sequences. Heck, even in today's world we have RFID chips which the military utilize in friend-or-foe systems; just don't see it being far-fetched that the same would be available in the AO universe.

Like I said, simple stuff like telling side is one thing. Do I support, say, being able to tell someone how many times they've died to the Kyr`ozch just because you're able to press T and get that information? No. But there's a vast difference, to me at least, between the two. Like PereatMundus said, a lot of it really just comes down to decency and courtesy; knowing where the line is drawn yourself. I mean I can't tell everyone how to act and react, of course, but in terms of "official storyline interaction"? Yeah, one of my LTCs would be able to tell an Omni-Tek employee from a Clanner at a glance. That doesn't mean they'd know your name (though even that's fairly feasible, really, considering consolidated name databases and such; kinda like looking someone up in the phone registry), doesn't mean I'd know your home planet, doesn't mean I'd know that you have a penchant for Tuluvian Opera. Just the basics.

But again, that's just me; You guys handle it however you want in your own personal interactions. Just know what to expect when dealing with an official storyline situation/character. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Lylith
    So if you are saying that a run of the mill HUD for personal and civilian use can easily and at a glance distinguish between the factions I have to ask: How in the hell does it do that? Is everyone injected with nanobots that transmit his or her faction to everyone? Is there a public information database that all those HUDs are connected to that provides them with all the information free of charge, without any regard for privacy or safety and without any regard to the position/standing of the user(ie: free to everyone)?
    It's quite simple if you stop to rationally think about it. Every person who comes to Rubi-Ka or is born here has their genetic make-up added or registered with Omni-Med upon birth or arrival. This is for the Medical Terminal Insurance that is only prevalent here on Rubi-Ka. Every time that person updates their information at an Insurance terminal, their status is updated as well, whether they are clan, neutral or omni. That information is used globally and broadcast globally so that that person is re-constituted at their previous update location. Thus any civilian or military HUD display can tap into that global information.

Thus, because we live in a world of conflict, we purchase devices and navigational aids to allow us to travel about the world and avoid potential aggression. Therefore, I can see on my HUD radar that the person walking up to me is either Omni (blue), Clan (Orange) or Neutral (White) or a hostile lifeform (red) and allows me to take the appropriate action. To say that in the 29th Century, a time of cybornetic implants, alien symbiotic lifeforms and advanced technology, that we do not have the means or the know-how to know just about everything about our surroundings is naive.
    Last edited by Nadab; Nov 19th, 2010 at 17:47:37.
    Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Corporal Officer, Omni-Pol Field Ops
    (Atlantean)

formerly
    T-Sgt1C, Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, Retired.

If I'm the Agent of Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?
    Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

So, after this thread derailed from the inpact of social armors to the definition of metagaming. The question remains, why are there not just side reqs on sided armor replica's?

Atleast make the armours sided. It cant be that hard to do that.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    A few years back we had a very long and drawn out discussion inside of the Rimorian RP Community regarding Metagaming. The conclusion which most of the community agreed upon is that outside of Breed and Gender you shouldn't know anything about a character unless they or someone else tells you that information.

I don't remember this discussion...and there are in-game items that enable players to distinguish factions of nearby players.

Besides, we're getting pretty close to that kind of technology IRL, with "I typed your name in Google and also shelled out some cash for a background search."

My two creds as science minister :P (semi in-semi out of character)

The technology has existed since the early 21st century.
    Augmented reality overlays are available to everyone on Rubi-Ka as part of their NCU, giving realitme updates on nanoprogram usage, etc. Banking is integrated too, giving credit balance readouts. IFF systems are available as upgrades to the GPS/mapping software that has existed in communication devices since the late 20th century. Finally, as it's always been possible for someone to crete a fake profile on any form of social media, while highlighting someone in the augmented reality overlay may bring up their public profile, you cannot guarantee the profile the software recognises as them will be accurate, so take any names, etc. with a pinch of salt, as we all know some people have turned out not to be who they said they were.

Faction may be faked (Agents can do this quite easily)
    Names may be changed (To protect the guilty)
    Faces can be altered (The person you're talking to may have adopted another's identity)

The info you can publicly access about someone is in no way 100% guaranteed as accurate.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12