Thread: why is upgraded Ofab nodrop?

why is upgraded Ofab nodrop?

So.. basic ofab armor is not nodrop, and the upgrade clumps are not nodrop.. so what's the logic behind the upgraded ofab pieces being nodrop?

Those are the ones that people might want to get rid of once they grow out of them (buy lower ql stuff, upgrade it, use it, level out of it, be stuck with it).

Would make it more viable to use Ofab at lower levels.

It's the WoW principle of bind-on-equip, translated into AO.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I can't say for certain but I would guess the Reanimator's Cloak is older than WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by sukas View Post
    So.. basic ofab armor is not nodrop, and the upgrade clumps are not nodrop.. so what's the logic behind the upgraded ofab pieces being nodrop?

Those are the ones that people might want to get rid of once they grow out of them (buy lower ql stuff, upgrade it, use it, level out of it, be stuck with it).

Would make it more viable to use Ofab at lower levels.
    It's FunCom's argument that they are not selling items of "power" hence they see unupgraded OFAB as not powerful.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gora View Post
    I can't say for certain but I would guess the Reanimator's Cloak is older than WoW.
    That was an exception to practically everything else in the game then. AO's philosophy at the time WoW came out was all about yesdrop, but that changed shortly after and we've increasingly seen the ratio of nodrops to yesdrops steadily increase for all new game content (AI was pretty much the last expansion to hold to the yesdrop philosophy). There's a fairly good reason for it too: to force people to play the content rather than recycle everything ad infinitum; and to maintain an item's rarity while having a good drop rate (I dunno if you agree on "good" droprates for some things though).
    Last edited by Chrys; Nov 18th, 2010 at 07:04:35.
    bai2u!
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

It's to take it out of System, otherwise only way to VP to "dissapear" would be other stuff.

Would mess up the system, no one would buy anything but 300QL one eventualy everything else would be traded. I think it's better to have this kind of VP drain in place...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

AO used to have player looting and very few rare items like we have today, and there were no raids and such. The game was based more around player interaction and pvp than it was pvm. That of course changed when the game almost went bust during the bad launch and the devs looked to more succesful titles like EverQuest and Ultima Online for what they did right.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

But thanks to the absense of bind on equip, your character economy is more complex then just farming money and dumping it into your auction house.

It's way more adult looking when your char have a capital with it's liquidative assets (seriously I dunno about economic english).
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    That was an exception to practically everything else in the game then. AO's philosophy at the time WoW came out was all about yesdrop, but that changed shortly after --
    Like with Pande that came well before WoW, tier armor, Totw and IS, EQB, some Tarasque drops, certain things from Foremans/Biomare and so on and so on?

... O WAIT

You're just talking poop!
    GO WITH MANY BLELBINEMS

GUESS WHO (IT STARTS WITH "SWORD" AND ENDS WITH "BREAKER")

LOL

To return to the originial question. I believe the intention with making normal OFAB yesdrop, was to get rid of all the VP players have acumulated over the years.

And thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swardbearker View Post
    Like with Pande that came well before WoW, tier armor, Totw and IS, EQB, some Tarasque drops, certain things from Foremans/Biomare and so on and so on?

... O WAIT

You're just talking poop!
    stfu swordeh im never wrong /qq

bai2u!

Have you seen the prices on GMS though yesterday I saw Ql300 Enfo back piece for 300m. At that rate, thats 2.1bil for a full set, not including shoulders or rings. Then you gotta buy the upgrades which will potentially be in more demand now so prices will likely rocket.
    Prices will stabilise eventually but that did make me lol.

I can see why they did it though, definately a sink for all the VP some people have accumulated over the years. Just not sure they thought through the possible effects on the economy... or maybe they did.

As long as you still need types and the upgraded armors become nodrop I dont see much change here. Other than the huge change that finally people that dont want to pvp can get their OFAB gear anyway.

As I said, FC introduced a real exchange rate of creds to VPs to $$$, it's very possible the person thinks his $F$P$ are worth that much and charged accordingly.
    bai2u!

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    It's FunCom's argument that they are not selling items of "power" hence they see unupgraded OFAB as not powerful.
    But funcom aren't selling it, in terms of the online shop, they are simply making it possible for players to now sell it.

So players sell basic ofab + players sell upgrades = Players sell items of "power". Much the same as players can sell other items. So that logic would or should allow players to sell upgraded Ofab.

Unless of course Ofab is available in the online shop, I havent looked tbh. Or if not maybe they plan to make it so?

Pfft, thats nothing, I saw pieces of Goddess armor on sale for 600m. People just ask ludicrous prices at start.
    Gustatus similis pullus.