Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 19th, 2010: The Sky is Not Falling

Quote Originally Posted by Siegetank View Post
    SNIP.
    Ok, I hate the current items for sale in the shop and I hate that it breaks the game on Linux.

However that quote you took, refers -solely- to the cost and time investment involved in continuing to use the OGRE engine for the update. Nothing more, nothing less. It isn't referencing AO's profitability at all, not one iota. So shut up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solstiare View Post
    You will find a fair number of mmo's that have an in game browser, and some sort of item shop. Take a look at EVE. They have an in game web browser, and a shop that sells a game time code for real money that can used for 30 days of play or sold /traded in game for credits. Eve is doing rather well btw, and the sky over there is still right where it should be. So piss and moan all you want about it, rail against how much you think it will break AO, pull whatever misquoted rubbish out to validate the real reason you are against it, however you are still left with the fact that you don't like it. Even though you haven't a leg to stand on to support your opinion. So, fine. You don't like it. Thanks for voicing your opinion. Door's over there →
    Selling game time in game is a great idea. However selling various items is a whole different kettle of fish altogether.

Also note the EVE browser works on Linux
    Last edited by Hacre; Nov 22nd, 2010 at 04:28:45.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

I don´t know why so many ppl are talking about Linux here.....

Linux was never released for playing games on it. Thats the point.....

If you want to play games, choose windows. Thats the best part for playing games atm.

Linux is working very well and yes, I like it in some point so I use it on my laptop. But I would never play Games under Linux.....

The patch did break Ventrilo and TS, unable to use those programs same time as ingame if you use for example "F" as push to talk key.

My guess is that it have something to do with the new key input system thingy.

I changed and did try Caps Lock, Shift, Alt, Ctrl. Those are working, just seems that regular keys cant be used.

Annoying, but I wont "wtf fix the game rage quit over it..."

A FYI to Means and CO. Keep up the great work

/Xymlior - President of Phoenix Rising, RK2
    First NT in AO to loot Alien Combat Directive Controller

I always used Mouse3 (clicking the scroll wheel) as my PTT key. My hand is always on the mouse, little need to move/find the right key and nothing in game uses it.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Serious: Store is OK to me. Bought some VPs arelady, bought Tokens. Great!

Wtb now LVls, and whole gear, so I dont need to play this game. Oh, and If I want to play, WTB in Store NT with OST to kite me, so I can /afk watching pron on other PC.

More serious: Everyone has BoC, so I want one in Store, so I can pimp up my NM female char!
    Aswell as Soldier T3 shoulderplates!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Nanowolf View Post
    I don´t know why so many ppl are talking about Linux here.....

Linux was never released for playing games on it. Thats the point.....

If you want to play games, choose windows. Thats the best part for playing games atm.

Linux is working very well and yes, I like it in some point so I use it on my laptop. But I would never play Games under Linux.....
    Windows was also never released to play games on it. That doesn't mean it didn't evolve into a good gaming platform, just the same way Linux has. In a way, thanks to libraries, it's a better gaming platform than Windows because you don't have to package every single dependency for the game along with it (instead relying on existing packages) which means less HDD space occupied, or less DVD space occupied.

All that's left is developers actually releasing the games on Linux. Valve (Steam, Half-life, Portal, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, etc) for one is going to do just that.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    Windows was also never released to play games on it. That doesn't mean it didn't evolve into a good gaming platform, just the same way Linux has. In a way, thanks to libraries, it's a better gaming platform than Windows because you don't have to package every single dependency for the game along with it (instead relying on existing packages) which means less HDD space occupied, or less DVD space occupied.

All that's left is developers actually releasing the games on Linux. Valve (Steam, Half-life, Portal, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, etc) for one is going to do just that.
    Whereas Epic and iD already have, to name two off the top of my head and as far as I am aware, iD will have a Linux port of their next game too.

"Linux wasn't intended as a gaming platform", ha, really. Better tell all those games publishers to stop writing games for Android then.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Point is, you should start out doing the multiplatform support if you want your game played there, not let users rely on hacks to get it working, which is basically what you've been doing when playing AO under WINE.

As for RAGE on Linux, then that's just speculated. Even mr. Carmack has expressed his disinterest in continuing development with OpenGL compared to Direct3D.

And you don't really see multimillion dollar projects target mobile platforms either.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Point is, you should start out doing the multiplatform support if you want your game played there, not let users rely on hacks to get it working, which is basically what you've been doing when playing AO under WINE.

As for RAGE on Linux, then that's just speculated. Even mr. Carmack has expressed his disinterest in continuing development with OpenGL compared to Direct3D.

And you don't really see multimillion dollar projects target mobile platforms either.
    Considering RAGE -will be- OpenGL based do you have an actual source for Mr Carmack's comment?
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

What you *could* do to help is giving the community some details about your particular Awesomium build. For example versions of Awesomium and Chromium used, which configuration options were picked, which compiler did you use, which C library, etc.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=583990
    Bumping this. Just a few details, even if you can't reveal exact things, could help the community find a way to run AO with Wine again.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants

Irregardless of if Linux is becoming more and more of a gaming platform if the creators of a game make it for one platform it isn't their job to satisfy you on another platform if they don't want to.

@ Phoenix

Ya it fell here too, all in one day.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Windows was also never released to play games on it. ...
    Wrong. Windows 1.0 already came with game included
    i R not spik engrish

Quote Originally Posted by SSK View Post
    Wrong. Windows 1.0 already came with game included
    I'm sure Uncle Steve would not have skipped that feature, if it did.

I'm sure Uncle Steve would not have skipped that feature, if it did.
    He mentions the game Reversi in the video at 0:32, but here is additional information about having a game in Windows 1.0, directly from Microsoft:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/history
    1982–1985: Introducing Windows 1.0
    Microsoft works on the first version of a new operating system. Interface Manager is the code name and is considered as the final name, but Windows prevails because it best describes the boxes or computing “windows” that are fundamental to the new system. Windows is announced in 1983, but it takes a while to develop. Skeptics call it “vaporware.”

On November 20, 1985, two years after the initial announcement, Windows ships Windows 1.0. Now, rather than typing MS‑DOS commands, you just move a mouse to point and click your way through screens, or “windows.” Bill Gates says, “It is unique software designed for the serious PC user…”

There are drop-down menus, scroll bars, icons, and dialog boxes that make programs easier to learn and use. You're able to switch among several programs without having to quit and restart each one. Windows 1.0 ships with several programs, including MS‑DOS file management, Paint, Windows Writer, Notepad, Calculator, and a calendar, card file, and clock to help you manage day-to-day activities. There’s even a game—Reversi.

Geek trivia: Remember floppy disks and kilobytes? Windows 1.0 requires a minimum of 256 kilobytes (KB), two double-sided floppy disk drives, and a graphics adapter card. A hard disk and 512 KB memory is recommended for running multiple programs or when using DOS 3.0 or higher.
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Nov 22nd, 2010 at 23:31:15.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

He mentions the game Reversi in the video at 0:32, but here is additional information about having a game in Windows 1.0, directly from Microsoft:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/history
    Haha, I stand corrected. Didn't have the sound turned up high enough to understand that raving hamster's yelping.

Seen a lot of complaints from Linux users, question is why not use Windows like the rest of us? You say you are smarter then most of us, why not stick to what most people use. I guess it is the American coming out of me, but majority > 1.4%. Get windows, and the same goes for MAC users.

Or we can just make it compatible with Linux
    Last edited by Siegetank; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 05:26:58.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Seen a lot of complaints from Linux users, question is why not use Windows like the rest of us? You say you are smarter then most of us, why not stick to what most people use. I guess it is the American coming out of me, but majority > 1.4%. Get windows, and the same goes for MAC users.

Or we can just make it compatible with Linux
    I'm going to sidestep this blatant troll and leave someone else to chew its head off.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    I'm going to sidestep this blatant troll and leave someone else to chew its head off.
    I'll field this one:

You say you are smarter then most of us, why not stick to what most people use.
    Because they're smarter than you, duh!

I guess it is the American coming out of me, but majority > 1.4%. Get windows, and the same goes for MAC users.
    1: Never preface a statement with "Because I'm American". There's a reason the rest of the world doesn't like us, not the least of which is "Hur hur I'm American."
    2: Who the hell says that everyone has to send Bill Gates $100 every time they want an operating system? It is a free market after all and competition breeds innovation. So bump for everyone that uses a different OS. I don't , but that's not really what's important.
    Last edited by Kopecz; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 07:42:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    2: Who the hell says that everyone has to send Bill Gates $100 every time they want an operating system? It is a free market after all and competition breeds innovation. So bump for everyone that uses a different OS. I don't , but that's not really what's important.
    They don't have to.

But then they shouldn't expect everything said OS gives if they use another one. It's not like I can go after Bungie because they don't make Halo for the Wii. I choose to get the Wii system and I use what it gives me.

You (generic) choose Linux, you use what it gives you. If another OS, like another console, gives access to games/something you want: get that OS.

Or wait till someone makes a way for it to work on both platforms.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast