Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 19th, 2010: The Sky is Not Falling

IMO for everything...

You all are trying to make new stuff for us to do. Okay cool. But seriously ai daily's/pvp daily/reg daily/prisoner or whatever daily. If you seriously think about it a person could go from AI 1-30 with under 1k kills. A person can go from 200-220 in a week if they pushed it hard enough just with dailys/all these quests/inf mishs..

Take a look at peoples signatures

220/30/70 (Multiple toons) Give us a challenge. Something to look forward to. For past 3-4 years you all have been talking about an engine update. Last update you all did was quite a few years back when you all changed the way rk looked. (Ust to have two buildings on oa hill and now got some funky ass trees that look dead as your programmers)(Half ass 3d grass)

New playfields (Arid/vortexx/mitaar/12m/collector) Okay for one mind as well combine the center 3 cause you can get almost the same thing from them. Arid? why would people farm that place for axp when they can go do alien dailys and get 300k axp or whatever in 10mins vrs 3 hours. Collector, Awesome instance yeh thats one good one.

Why game is dying:
    1. All in all. If everyone quit the game right now you would be screwed. You have no advertisment what so ever execpt in your foreign country maybe.
    2. Nothing really challenging (Hell whats the difference really between this is WoW execpt twinking on items)
    3. PETITION SYSTEM New player comes into game and has a problem. Do you seriously expect them to sit there 4 hours in queue and have one of your gms that don't know what there usally talking about and tell you to please email.
    4. Tryed to do a supposable new pvp area. OH YIPPIE a zone 1/4 the size of old athen. (Try making new maps/objectives for battlestations)

Just an idea. You have two pvp old arenas that nvr get used. Since were doing like an omni,neutral vrs clan type of deal here atleast on rk1 why not do like a capture the flag or something of that nature. Have to hold the sigil for your side faction for 24hours for it to become 100% locked for 72hours meaning someone has to be guarding it from other side from stealing it for them 24hours so it can lock to be immune for 72hours. The side that owns it has 100% immunity on there towerfields from getting attack. (Think of $h#t like that that) Not some stupid arena no one ever uses when we can just use borealis.

BTW that little preview of the new graphic engine of that character walking somewhere in tir with that moving grass and crap. IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP. What kind of designers do you seriously have. Straight out of college?
    Last edited by PurpleHaze; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 09:08:08.
    Artofwar(220/21)----Cheatdeath(220/18)----Reflection(220/22)

Get R' Dun

You hate it so much?

Door.

Ass.

Way out.

Not really bothered if it hits you.
    Not like you'll be missed, and I think that's the main ego thing pushing the wishful thinking of people like you to justify "AO is dying" claims. "Oh, what will the game do without me?" Get over it. AO still has so many players that nobody will even notice you're gone.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Considering RAGE -will be- OpenGL based do you have an actual source for Mr Carmack's comment?
    Source no. But I'm sure you can find it if you start leafing through the slashdot backcatalogue. It was made concerning the OpenGL board not being innovative enough in developing and taking the API forward, and how DX had overtaken it feature and performance wise. Yes, I was shocked to hear it too.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Siegetank View Post
    Seen a lot of complaints from Linux users, question is why not use Windows like the rest of us?
    Replace Linux by AO and Windows by .. Why are you still here?!

If no one supports the minority, it will stay a minority (if not worse).
    blah

originally posted by siegetank
    seen a lot of complaints from linux users, question is why not use windows like the rest of us?
    Quote Originally Posted by nogoal View Post
    replace linux with ao and windows with .. Why are you still here?!
    qft.

I wonder, is it the OP's opinion that Waldgeist should bugger off out of these community threads and stop doing German translations because they should "Speak English like the rest of us"?
    Last edited by Tryqz; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 13:04:38.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Replace Linux by AO and Windows by .. Why are you still here?!

If no one supports the minority, it will stay a minority (if not worse).

I'm sure that FC would make games for Linux if there was profit there, but there isn't atleast yet. Only reason large games are starting to more and more being ported to Mac is because it's market share is incresing...

Money, baby Money, it runs the world...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHaze View Post
    Take a look at peoples signatures

220/30/70 (Multiple toons) Give us a challenge.
    Where's yours?

People with the will to push it have always gotten things faster and before those who don't it's called reward for your effort. Put effort in, see result. Just as a little side note thing here, it took me about a year to get my first toon to 150, about the same to get my first mil. I'm not saying it has to be has hard for new players, but look at the facts people are getting to 220 so fast they know NOTHING about any of the actual fun content to the game, they know hecks, inf mishs, and dailies. Damned if they don't know how to spam for a OST and NT though.
    Last edited by Gaveup; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 14:33:55.
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Only reason large games are starting to more and more being ported to Mac is because it's market share is incresing...
    It's rather the other way around. Not like I've seen anything about Mac OSX (gaming) market share increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    I'm sure that FC would make games for Linux if there was profit there, but there isn't atleast yet.

Money, baby Money, it runs the world...
    You're right, it's a money problem, but not about income. Why would they increase their development costs when nerds will probably make their game work anyway?

Especially when it's not their own software which prevents the game to work :P
    blah

Seen a lot of complaints from Linux users, question is why not use Windows like the rest of us? You say you are smarter then most of us, why not stick to what most people use. I guess it is the American coming out of me, but majority > 1.4%. Get windows, and the same goes for MAC users.

Or we can just make it compatible with Linux
    I used legal versions of Windows XP, Vista, and 7 - I had it permanently installed on my PC before ever touching Linux, and used it every day.

To try something new I started dualbooting (K)ubuntu, and I happened to love it. The KDE desktop environment and window manager completely blow anything Windows has out of the water, making my college work on the PC a lot easier to keep overview on.

Then I discovered the ease of finding and installing new free useful programs through a "package manager", you know, the kind you have to cruise 50 near-malware websites for on Windows only to find that the only one worth a crap is a 7 day trial version. You click the install button, it pulls in all the dependencies for you, and the best part is that we're talking kilobytes instead of megabytes or even gigabytes because the programs link to existing libraries. Example - GIMP, which is comparable to Photoshop, takes up 30 Mb harddrive space as opposed to Photoshop CS5's 1.5 Gb.

The only disadvantage so far is the fact gaming companies usually don't develop native Linux versions of their games, which means you have to screw around with Wine-like programs. Everything else? There's a free alternative out there which is on par with, if not better than, the commercial version of the program.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Seen a lot of complaints from Linux users, question is why not use Windows like the rest of us? You say you are smarter then most of us, why not stick to what most people use. I guess it is the American coming out of me, but majority > 1.4%. Get windows, and the same goes for MAC users.

Resistance is Futile... You will be Assimilated.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

smart and mechanically-minded are not necessarily the same thing. my neighbour down the street can take apart literally anything, figure out how it works, and put it back together. he is also not what people would call intellectual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think the correct term would be "common sense." 99% of people have the sense to use windows when playing software designed for windows, hence why its common sense.

I used linux while i was in school, and got caught up in the whole "community project" craze that every compsci/software student does. at some point it suddenly occured to me, if someone is a great programmer/software engineer/designer, would they not work for companies like microsoft (or another large software producer) and not have time for freeware projects? and if these same great minds perchance are doing freeware stuff on the side like wine/(cedega?) project, then new stuff would get done when they felt like it, not when its needed --> and therein lies the real difference between open-source vs. professionally designed software: I m paying you to get it done nao! vs. I might get to the fix this weekend, or perhaps maybe next weekend :~

open source is a great concept and dream, the problem is, whenever something is used by a large chunk of the consumer base, it becomes too much of a cash cow to remain open source. and really, its great that some people manage to fit a round peg into a square hole, (Im speaking strictly of running AO on a non-windows based OS, not writing a document or something) but in all reality, its serves no larger purpose than self gratification for achieving the bizarre. my 2 funcom points.
    Last edited by SoulTarder; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 17:52:58.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    You hate it so much?

Door.

Ass.

Way out.

Not really bothered if it hits you.
    Not like you'll be missed, and I think that's the main ego thing pushing the wishful thinking of people like you to justify "AO is dying" claims. "Oh, what will the game do without me?" Get over it. AO still has so many players that nobody will even notice you're gone.
    After 5+ years of people making similar comments, it no longer applies that "nobody will even notice". That kind of attitude is the reason that the remaining players have problems finding teams outside of the range that can team with a 220.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by SoulTarder View Post
    at some point it suddenly occured to me, if someone is a great programmer/software engineer/designer, would they not work for companies like microsoft (or another large software producer) and not have time for freeware projects?
    You're completely right.

That's why the majority of opensource developers actually *do* work for big software producers. They're paid to develop stuff such as the kernel.

http://apcmag.com/linux-now-75-corporate.htm
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Source no. But I'm sure you can find it if you start leafing through the slashdot backcatalogue. It was made concerning the OpenGL board not being innovative enough in developing and taking the API forward, and how DX had overtaken it feature and performance wise. Yes, I was shocked to hear it too.
    Of course you neglect to acknowledge that while OpenGL did fall behind DX for a time, it caught up with a vengeance. In fact, the current OpenGL revision (4) competes directly with Direct X 11, even besting it in some respects.

I'll even give you one of many sources on the topic.

Like zomgz a source!
    Lusthorne - 220 Keeper | Isellthings - 220 Trader - PvP-Config
    Soupknotsie - 220 Doctor | Blabberus - 220 Crat
    and many more

Boost outdoor sk in Pen/Inf or adjust missions for mixed factions
    A different approach to GTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    If you felt that I was implying that you are an idiot, it's probably because you are in fact, an idiot.

OpenGL is also unpopular because it has no API-SDK you can rely on and its documentation is harder to read than the one from DirectX. Also very different Extensions on various cards, which makes you write a lot of fallback code.
    regards
    Happy employee of the Omni Tek corporation.
    I am destruction. I am creation. I am Engineer.
    Free Tradeskill Services on RK1. Includes AI Armor.

AOMover | AwesOme Script
    Open Source Licenses, enjoy your freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    Example - GIMP, which is comparable to Photoshop, takes up 30 Mb harddrive space as opposed to Photoshop CS5's 1.5 Gb.
    It's probably the fact that I was taught PS throughout school but I think PS is better. And the fact that it takes 1.5gb of HD is nothing. My HD is only 500gb and people consider that to be small today. My brother has 2tb, a friend of mine just bought another 3tb for his PC; harddrive space is cheap.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyra View Post
    harddrive space is cheap.
    But photoshop isn't

True, they are certainly targeted at companies rather then individual tinkerers. Still, the cost doesn't stop some people from getting it.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyra View Post
    It's probably the fact that I was taught PS throughout school but I think PS is better. And the fact that it takes 1.5gb of HD is nothing. My HD is only 500gb and people consider that to be small today. My brother has 2tb, a friend of mine just bought another 3tb for his PC; harddrive space is cheap.
    PS vs GIMP was just an example. These differences add up.. and there's other considerations than HDD space, such as whether you want to ship your new game on one or two DVDs.

My complete Linux installation takes up less than 10 GB of space, including every kind of utility and program I need. I'd be curious to hear how much space your Windows 7 installation consumes, excluding games or the Users folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    Then I discovered the ease of finding and installing new free useful programs through a "package manager", you know, the kind you have to cruise 50 near-malware websites for on Windows only to find that the only one worth a crap is a 7 day trial version. You click the install button, it pulls in all the dependencies for you
    I wish this was always as easy as you make it sound. You just want to kill all the people who came up with apt whenever there's a conflict that can't be resolved. This happens more or less often for me.

Then again, it's really nifty when it works, and I do love it on my phone (when it works).
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast