Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 19th, 2010: The Sky is Not Falling

For sure, biggest problem i had with 18.4 was not being able to direction while typing in chat. Happy to see this fixed !

For the items, i see the genereal impressions of people : they feel the store might introduce lazy-gaming for richer players ; my opinion is this was already existing by illegal credit and/or PL/OST/Farm/Gear services. So if that money can go to make AO live longer, i'm not against.

Oppositely, the items selling i'm not convinced of yet is the twinkbuffing cans ; i hope the situations where they'll be useable will be under total control (shop/by only, reset @ zoning, etc). Need testing to be 100% sure i'm not definitely against these.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    But the sky *is* falling.

You've excluded a lot of customers from running AO with Awesomium (browser) because they don't use Windows, and I think one of the last things you can afford is losing even more players.
    We have not excluded anyone who was running an OS officially supported by Anarchy Online. I'm also certain that a workaround will be found for this by the communities that made it possible in the first place. I might not be today and it might not be tomorrow...but someone will figure it out. Our product works just fine...it is someone else's that is broken.

Unfortunately what we can't afford is dedicating significant resource to supporting an OS used by 1.4% of our player base. Who knows how many different variants of Linux makes up that 1.4%...and how many issues might need to be addressed to fix them all?

I certainly feel for those who can no longer log in. But first off, simply "disabling" Awesomium is not as trivial on a technical level as people would like to think. Going forward this browser is likely going to become more and more important to the way the game is displayed/played and supported...not less (and no..the ability to view the item shop is not important.). For example ("maybe's" not planned for yet) viewing the GMS, interacting with Customer Service, viewing content for in-game events calendar and possibly even more may well use this technology...so turning it "off" now isn't a good long term solution.

I am sorry...but supporting non-standardized OS's is not a path I am willing to commit to.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

No "Means" Linux

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Fix stuttering camera y-controls when using RMB steering.
    Would it be possible to make a pref item so we could turn the "auto level off" function off while flying a Yalm? It is more than annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    This is so out of context regarding my quote that I don't even know how to respond...
    because i win.

Yalms need altimeters during Halloween blackouts.

Most of the recent changes I've seen are interesting or have great potential, I'm still just adapting to them.

Maybe the in-game browser can be set up so it's selected at the log-in window. That way people who are crashing out now could return to play and that way we could team with people who have no browser hygiene and not be lagged to bejimmminy.

But above all, Merkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by arrien View Post
    please means, what about the problem with chat where you can no longer use the arrow keys to turn or stop while the chat window is selected? That's really a huge input change for a lot of us, and seriously limits the experience of the game.
    big bumppppp!!!!!!!!
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    big bumppppp!!!!!!!!
    From Means' post:

"Add global (ovveride text input) left right up down control binds (alt+arrows by default). (Steer your character while typing...but still be able to select text with the arrows.)"

Quote Originally Posted by Waylayer View Post
    From Means' post:

"Add global (ovveride text input) left right up down control binds (alt+arrows by default). (Steer your character while typing...but still be able to select text with the arrows.)"
    1st: Its still not implemented.
    2nd: It means Ill need to press alt to move my toon while typing? It doesnt cut the annoyance. PEDIOD.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Thanks for the answer Means.

I can now fully understand, why you cant allow to disable the browser, with the future plans about it.

Of course wont i quit the game. AO is way too addicting for that. But i hope the community will find a solution so i can play the game on my Mac again, and so Linux users also can. Now i will just have to use a virtual machine and run AO on it (which gives a lot of lag sadly :/)

(Looking forward for the new plans with the browser. The ingame calendar sounds awsome! Now AO just need a achievement system. 100 leet kills for an "Leet Murder" achievement please )

From Kehaan.
    Last edited by kehaan; Nov 19th, 2010 at 19:18:19.
    /Kehaan - lvl 220 Crat - Atrox/
    /Kehaax - lvl 150 Fixer - Atrox/
    /Kehtra - lvl 210 Trader - Atrox/
    /Kehelectric - lvl 165 NT - Atrox/
    /Kehxao - lvl 150 Doctor - Solitus!?/
    A proud advisor of Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    1st: Its still not implemented.
    2nd: It means Ill need to press alt to move my toon while typing? It doesnt cut the annoyance. PEDIOD.
    It is slated for a future update - which is what you are asking for.

The DEFAULT is using alt+arrow key; you can remap it to what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kehaan View Post
    Thanks for the answer Means.

I can now fully understand, why you cant allow to disable the browser, with the future plans about it.

Of course wont i quit the game. AO is way too addicting for that. But i hope the community will find a solution so i can play the game on my Mac again, and so Linux users also can. Now i will just have to use a virtual machine and run AO on it (which gives a lot of lag sadly :/)

(Looking forward for the new plans with the browser. The ingame calendar sounds awsome! Now AO just need a achievement system. 100 leet kills for an "Leet Murder" achievement please )

From Kehaan.

The awesomium site indicates that it supports MAC; and that the developers are at least discussing a linux port.

Here's hoping that all of you displaced AO addicts are back in the game soon (real soon, not FC soon )

Add 'unlock all' menu item to wear view to unlock all locked items.
    Handy.

Add global (ovveride text input) left right up down control binds (alt+arrows by default). (Steer your character while typing...but still be able to select text with the arrows.)
    That's good but why not make the default the way it used to be rather than the new way? A lot of people got used to how it was for years so no doubt will want to change it back to that. Although with binds being per char they'd have to do it for each one, which is a pain.

Hmm...cheap tokens are gone from shop and expensive VPs are still there. Also my post about weird token price has been deleted. Good way to go FC ...
    -o--oOo--o--
    Yama*007
    -o--oOo--o--

Quote Originally Posted by EIS View Post
    Hmm...cheap tokens are gone from shop and expensive VPs are still there. Also my post about weird token price has been deleted. Good way to go FC ...
    There are multiple posts regarding item prices, if you start a new thread on the same topic, no matter the subject, chances are it'll be taken down.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by EIS View Post
    Also my post about weird token price has been deleted.
    Your post wasn't deleted - It was merged into the already-existing topic on the subject, and can be found here. Unless a post is an obvious troll, spam, or otherwise breaks the forums rules, we won't remove it; in this particular case, it already fit into one of the currently-existing topics on the subject and was merged in (as is stated in the 18.4 forum rules thread). =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

OK here's my 2 cents ..

The market is moving towards Item-shops a lot.

It used to be the F2P market only, it's moving into the P2P (read pay to play) market too.

I will tell you this..

Anything that will keep AO running...I will welcome.

So you got my blessing to selling VPs, Tokens, Levels, to any noob out there...you're not only giving me more food into BS at some point...but you are keeping the game alive..

The game alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    I keep crashing on log in since the new patch - happens randomly. I can start the game in about 1 in 10 attempts. Is this a known issue that's going to be patched?
    Happens exactly the other way around for me. Every time I log off, the game doesnt terminate properly but hangs itself up. Very annoying because I have to click away 3 AO popups (would you like to send a report? want to add any details? Thank you!) and then kill the hung client manually.
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    That has got to be my best post ever!
    Well I don't disagree with any of that you said, so yeah, it's a pretty good post.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

We have not excluded anyone who was running an OS officially supported by Anarchy Online. I'm also certain that a workaround will be found for this by the communities that made it possible in the first place. I might not be today and it might not be tomorrow...but someone will figure it out. Our product works just fine...it is someone else's that is broken.
    Officially supported or not, you are still losing customers over it. I won't pretend to know the exact numbers, but there's more than a few.

What you *could* do to help is giving the community some details about your particular Awesomium build. For example versions of Awesomium and Chromium used, which configuration options were picked, which compiler did you use, which C library, etc.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=583990

Unfortunately what we can't afford is dedicating significant resource to supporting an OS used by 1.4% of our player base. Who knows how many different variants of Linux makes up that 1.4%...and how many issues might need to be addressed to fix them all?

I certainly feel for those who can no longer log in. But first off, simply "disabling" Awesomium is not as trivial on a technical level as people would like to think. Going forward this browser is likely going to become more and more important to the way the game is displayed/played and supported...not less (and no..the ability to view the item shop is not important.). For example ("maybe's" not planned for yet) viewing the GMS, interacting with Customer Service, viewing content for in-game events calendar and possibly even more may well use this technology...so turning it "off" now isn't a good long term solution.

I am sorry...but supporting non-standardized OS's is not a path I am willing to commit to.
    Thanks for the explanation. I understand you can't officially support us with the small amount of resources you have to work with, but a hint every now and then (such as Macrosun's post in Tech Help) would be very much appreciated by all of us. The same goes for some simple Q&A in the thread I posted just up here.

In the worst case there will be a build of Awesomium for Linux in July.

http://www.khrona.com/2010/05/22/awe...-beta-out-now/
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
    Happens exactly the other way around for me. Every time I log off, the game doesnt terminate properly but hangs itself up. Very annoying because I have to click away 3 AO popups (would you like to send a report? want to add any details? Thank you!) and then kill the hung client manually.
    That's my problem. I have to go to my Task manager to close it!

Edit: I hope that can get fixed soon. As for the Item Shop, well I understand the desire to allow things like this to be bought with real money since the certain annoying spammers do it and at least this would be an FC friendly way to get it done. I however do not find items of interest to purchase from these spammers and thereby will be refusing to buy items in game with real money. For the rest of the slackers out there that would rather pay RL money for things USE THE ITEMSHOP!!!
    Last edited by Fawnspawn; Nov 19th, 2010 at 20:39:21.
    Seek Peace and you shall find me. Seek War, and there you will find me also. I hold the Light of Love in the darkness of the Abyss and e'er that star shall shine forth and give hope and comfort. Enemies of the Light and Freedom of Spirit, beware, for my blades fall fast and cut deep.

NEUTRAL 4 EVER!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast