Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 19th, 2010: The Sky is Not Falling

On one hand, I want to come in here, and tell you all to cut Means some slack about the Linux issue. He is the Game Director and as such has to run the company line about not spending resources on unsupported non-Windows OS'es etc etc tl;dr.

On the other hand, 1.4%? Come on, no need to lowball like that. I'm not sure that even covers the Linux users here, and definitely does not include the OSX users. We're big boys. We can handle the truth that it's just not worth the company's money. I hope you truly don't believe that only that many of the AO community use something other than Windows as their primary OS. I myself know a few people, including a former "Funcom volunteer", that have pretty much quit because they can't get AO to run under OSX.

Nobody's asking for an OpenGL rewrite here. Just a little nudgeing from people in the know, however unofficial. The hardline that makes some under-the-table help sound so fruitless and forbidden isn't just unhelpful, but insulting.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Nov 20th, 2010 at 21:49:36.
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    If they release 2 profs a week they would be right on track for having the Prof balance work done by the end of the year. Currently Advy, Agent, Doc, MP, NT, Shade, and Trader are left.
    And what are they releasing next week? Oh that's right just one prof supposedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

So? Still enough time for them to get the prof balance done by the end of the year. If they do is up to them, but there's still enough time for them to meet their deadline.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Ah ok so they're still determining the exchange rate for RL money to creds
    Better that FC controls it as opposed to the Chinese credit farms.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Count Von Count says: TWO!
    Well, Count needs to learn how to count then because it is more than that.

Friday with Means - November 19th, 2010: The Sky is Not Falling

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    Some one hasnt spoken to the bods in accounts and seen the amount of people who have cancled in protest.
    Wait a minute.. you mean the same 10-15 over-dramatic people that threaten to quit every major update because they think it will actually make a dent in AO's financials? Didn't you quit long ago when they decided to instance pande? Or because of the new rewards for sl missions? Ranged adv love? Social tab? Inspect function? ... or because you were forced to PvP for Ofab - wait nvm, you must have reactivated now that there are alternatives.

{edited by Anarrina: inappropriate}
    Last edited by Anarrina; Nov 21st, 2010 at 03:17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Better that FC controls it as opposed to the Chinese credit farms.

I have the credit sellers on ignore but from the prices i last remember we are now
    at more or less 1:1 ratio with a 2000 token pack being sold for 600m.

I am afraid this will just lower the inhibition threshold of people trying to turn their dollars
    into in-game currency. At the latest when its time for them to get some combined armor or
    similar "expensive" items they might just fall back on the 3rd parties because they paid
    the same amount for credits to funcom before.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    Well, Count needs to learn how to count then because it is more than that.
    Count Von Count has been counting numbers for the masses for over 30 years, since either 1972 or 1973, is been a movie star and has a solid mathematical background. I trust the Count's counting abilities.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I really would like to know when you think you got rebalancing done. I mean you really should speed it up. And Heads done soon? Gawd, how long will you need for the bodies? Another year?
    Sorry, but it is really getting too long. You try to keep the people with the carrot on a stick. But if you wave that carrot too long, the horse will loose its interest. Not the case with me atm, but with many others.
    Get what you got on Testlive, maybe on that Beta Server you have set up and never needed.
    At least the rebalancing. So those professions which are already done can tinker with it.
    regards
    Happy employee of the Omni Tek corporation.
    I am destruction. I am creation. I am Engineer.
    Free Tradeskill Services on RK1. Includes AI Armor.

AOMover | AwesOme Script
    Open Source Licenses, enjoy your freedom

I wonder if people think about some of the extreme 'crap' they post, or better yet if people were the Game Director how would they feel to hear all these several pages with a lot of being trolls, flames, "I quits", and just general ranting.

There are some good post, and it doesn't take an eye to spot some people can debate in a clear precise manor, but then you read all the rest and it makes me feel like the thread topic name + just everyone's anger of a store is just way overblown.

I would be one of the first to support deleting every post that really doesn't help. FINALLY, we can get to the topic. I said it before this is strictly a monetary move. The game is hurting on money, and the player shop is a clear way of adding revenue to keep this game afloat for a while. Without it, I could see this game tanking in less then 2 years.

Either way, for some the sky is falling.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegetank View Post
    I wonder if people think about some of the extreme 'crap' they post, or better yet if people were the Game Director how would they feel to hear all these several pages with a lot of being trolls, flames, "I quits", and just general ranting.

There are some good post, and it doesn't take an eye to spot some people can debate in a clear precise manor, but then you read all the rest and it makes me feel like the thread topic name + just everyone's anger of a store is just way overblown.

I would be one of the first to support deleting every post that really doesn't help. FINALLY, we can get to the topic. I said it before this is strictly a monetary move. The game is hurting on money, and the player shop is a clear way of adding revenue to keep this game afloat for a while. Without it, I could see this game tanking in less then 2 years.

Either way, for some the sky is falling.
    You'd have a point, except Means and Co have been telling us for months upon months that Anarchy Online is financially viable and wonderful and profitable and in no money trouble at all, long before selling VP, Ofab, Tokens, formerly profession locked abilities for cold hard cash was even a flickering of synapses in Means' mind.

Which kinda blows the whole "WE AM GO BROEK IF NOT DO THIS" reasoning out of the water.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Unfortunately what we can't afford is dedicating significant resource to supporting an OS used by 1.4% of our player base.
    Those two people are going to be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    You'd have a point, except Means and Co have been telling us for months upon months that Anarchy Online is financially viable and wonderful and profitable and in no money trouble at all, long before selling VP, Ofab, Tokens, formerly profession locked abilities for cold hard cash was even a flickering of synapses in Means' mind.

Which kinda blows the whole "WE AM GO BROEK IF NOT DO THIS" reasoning out of the water.
    Damage control, my good fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Count Von Count has been counting numbers for the masses for over 30 years, since either 1972 or 1973, is been a movie star and has a solid mathematical background. I trust the Count's counting abilities.
    Yes, I know it is meant as a joke. Unfortunately reality is different. I know of 9 accounts that are cancelled and will stay cancelled just from my in game conversations in org channels. And the thing is I don't even know very many people so I am genuinely curious what the total number is..

I know of 9 accounts that are cancelled and will stay cancelled just from my in game conversations in org channels.
    Really? If they're still talking in org chat surely they can't have gone through with cancelling, right?
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    Really? If they're still talking in org chat surely they can't have gone through with cancelling, right?
    Ever heard of "froob" alts? Holyspambatman, l2t.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

That WAS the answer I was looking for!

So, because these people had a problem with a change to the game which they felt would increase the value someone else got from the game, they chose to....diminish....what....they....got....from....t he....game...............

When these people get a phone and then see someone with a package that offers a bit more than theirs does, or the same for a different price, do they cancel their contract and start using phone boxes on the street?
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Newsflash! When you hit "cancel" your account stays open until end of billing cycle.

That WAS the answer I was looking for!

So, because these people had a problem with a change to the game which they felt would increase the value someone else got from the game, they chose to....diminish....what....they....got....from....t he....game...............

When these people get a phone and then see someone with a package that offers a bit more than theirs does, or the same for a different price, do they cancel their contract and start using phone boxes on the street?
    Your analogy is flawed.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Can only speak for myself but as my accounts is payed for a year in advance I will just let them run. First one is over in february I think and I have one where most of the year is still left. As long as they are active I see no reason for not logging in and speak with friends.
    I do believe fc will not get any more money from me, but obviuosly I cannot promise that I never will resubscribe if this game is still running years in the future.
    If ao is in need of money, I would be happier if fc doubled the subscription rather than this ingame shop thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy View Post
    Can only speak for myself but as my accounts is payed for a year in advance I will just let them run. First one is over in february I think and I have one where most of the year is still left. As long as they are active I see no reason for not logging in and speak with friends.
    I do believe fc will not get any more money from me, but obviuosly I cannot promise that I never will resubscribe if this game is still running years in the future.
    If ao is in need of money, I would be happier if fc doubled the subscription rather than this ingame shop thingy.
    For that to work, at least half the paid players would have to stay.

Double the sub, and I can bet a riot will ensue, comparing other MMO's who have much lower rates with the gigantic $30 a month you suggested.

People would quit over paying twice as much for a game, because it just becomes too expensive in their eyes.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast