Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sitting in duels

Quote Originally Posted by vios View Post
    I might be wrong but I though that sitting already increased the crit and hit chance (and agro)
    No, just in some specific cases agro issues.

28,000 years or so in the future. Nanobots. Nanoprograms. All sorts. Sitting down increasing battle effectiveness can easily be explained away by some mumbo-jumbo about nanobots working extra hard.

You are telling me you think evades work like some ninja style reflexes? I believe evades are just the skill at which you can manipulate nanobots to deflect blows and shots via nanobots or something, not that you are actually physically dodging bullets.

I see no problem here, just soldiers wanting to be able to kill stuff easier.
    Last edited by Whitey; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 13:13:53.
    'Fbwhitey' : 220/26 Nano NT [PvP]
    'Garnerana' : 220/22 Trox Keeper [PvM]
    'Zinc' : 220/30 Trox Doctor [PvP]
    'Whex' : 171/22 Trox Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    28,000 years or so in the future. Nanobots. Nanoprograms. All sorts. Sitting down increasing battle effectiveness can easily be explained away by some mumbo-jumbo about nanobots working extra hard.

You are telling me you think evades work like some ninja style reflexes? I believe evades are just the skill at which you can manipulate nanobots to deflect blows and shots via nanobots or something, not that you are actually physically dodging bullets.

I see no problem here, just soldiers wanting to be able to kill stuff easier.
    You got to be joking right? Any director that would put that concept in a scifi movie would be insane... Yeah I can see it now, the duelist sits on the ground and gets shot in the face 10 times and point blank range on the ground and doesn't die, thats right about the time when I get up from my chair and walk out of the theater.

Sitting on the ground holds Zero suspension of disbelief as a fight mechanic.

What problem I do see is people afraid of change, and afraid to break out of their comfort zones to try new tactics and not exploit old ones. Every time you settle for an exploit mechanic to suit your needs and not respect the original intentions, you dirty the quality of Ao just a little more in your quest of dominance. In my opinion, if you need to sit on the ground for combat, your profession needs to re-evaluate its strengths and weaknesses, and finally speak up about them.

I'm sorry, but this whole thread feels a lot less like it's about immersion in the game world and a lot more about, "Wtf! I can't kill a soldier when he sits during AMS and regains his health to 100%!" Personally, my immersion is ruined by (in no particular order): NT strong roots, malaise, calms, NSD, UBT, aimed shot anything, 220 shades, trader drains pre-TL6, NR8, stuns, NS2/Nanobot Guard/Nanobot Shielding, DOF/Limber/Coon, blinds, Neleb's noob-stick, the idea that there are or should be un-perkable professions, and ranged advies. Fix all plix.

Seriously, though, I realize it's a weird mechanic and applying logic to it warps the brain, but so does most of the PvP that occurs in AO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Marine said it in the 1st reply : change the sitting animation so it urts noone's feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Djiax View Post
    Marine said it in the 1st reply : change the sitting animation so it urts noone's feelings.
    No one is mad, I just find it disappointing that this mechanic is exploited through dueling, and general monster fights.

There is lot behind this, then many thinks. After watching Marine duels in BS Hub (aswell as many other fights betwean sold vs doc, sold vs enf) I got feeling that fights are either /sit+alpha or lose. Marine was dueling doc, and sat if he got half HP, and then he almost regained it, then timed so well his alpha, he killed doc. But, that was only way to Win the fight. There is no close call in those fights which means, something other is wrong. Hmm CH?
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Doc's have better healing per sec than CH last I knew, CH is agents.
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Vurtuoso View Post
    While rebalancing the game itself, I think it is time to take a look at the defensive mechanics of fighting in a duel. Sitting in any duel outside of Anarchy Online is incomprehensible. It also takes out the immersion factor of a real duel. My recommendation is sitting anywhere should automatically give you a huge defensive debuff, while being able to keep the altered heal delta in tact primarily benefiting those out of a fight. Sitting in a duel may seem cool and unique to some, but it is nonsensical approach to combat, argue for shields, argue for higher aao when standing. Sitting needs to be taken out of the equation.
    Whats ur prof?
    Guess no prof without heal... especially on crat I have to sit often to use treatment kits or get some hp with hd. The other option would be to give crat a ch ;D

I'll take sitting= meditation as a valid reason for sitting in duels if MA's get the strongest support to utilize this "feature"

And you aren't truely giving up damage if you are sitting in between special cycles.
    How about sitting locks out offensive perks (or all ) and weapon specials and puts them into recharge. With the recharge timer starting when you stand up again?
    Now THAT'S giving up damage.

How about we just leave it as it is, as there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it!
    RK1

220/30 Soldier, 220/22 Shade, 170/24 Agent, 150/14 NT, 150/14 Adv, 150/19 Keeper, 150/20 Crat, 165/21 Fixer, 150/20 MA, 150/18 Doc, 100/10 MP, 150/11 Trader
    60/06 Enfo, 60/06 Engi, 60/06 Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Siro View Post
    Whats ur prof?
    Guess no prof without heal... especially on crat I have to sit often to use treatment kits or get some hp with hd. The other option would be to give crat a ch ;D
    You can look up my prof via auno. However, heals are not an end to themselves, pvp shouldn't be about how much you can heal, statistical end games should always reach a very close 50/50 percentage, crats have pets, and weapons of their own. If you do not feel that is enough for you, that sitting down is your only resort in a duel, I recommend creation more creative ideas, other then CH.

Quote Originally Posted by Esproc View Post
    I'll take sitting= meditation as a valid reason for sitting in duels if MA's get the strongest support to utilize this "feature"

And you aren't truely giving up damage if you are sitting in between special cycles.
    How about sitting locks out offensive perks (or all ) and weapon specials and puts them into recharge. With the recharge timer starting when you stand up again?
    Now THAT'S giving up damage.

I agree, if meditation exists at all, a martial artist should be the only one in my opinion to be able to use this feature at all. It is the only way it could remotely be related to using ones body to over come outer attacks. Not some smash mouth enforcer who's supposed to throw their weight around in a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Esproc View Post
    So, you can meditate, while I'm in front of you kicking your teeth.

Dude, are you some kind of weird monk coming from the high plateau of Himalaya, and your best friend is like an insect?

Didn't think so either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    So, you can meditate, while I'm in front of you kicking your teeth.

Dude, are you some kind of weird monk coming from the high plateau of Himalaya, and your best friend is like an insect?

Didn't think so either.

There is actually a LOT of precedence if you look into various martial arts lore for people doing exactly that.
    Hell in D&D there was a monk order that had to let TROLLS womp on them and then walk away with a smile.

cheers ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vurtuoso View Post
    the duelist sits on the ground and gets shot in the face 10 times and point blank range on the ground and doesn't die, thats right about the time when I get up from my chair and walk out of the theater.
    I was merely pointing out that the idea that 'Sitting down = 0 defense' because of superficial reasons is rather silly.

The idea of meditation seems bizzare also. I think the problem is that the term 'evades' is misleading. Should be hit deflection skill. Doesn't matter if you are standing, sitting, smoking a pipe, sleeping - those 'evade' nanobots are constantly at work deflecting some of the hits coming your way, no matter where you are or what you are doing.
    'Fbwhitey' : 220/26 Nano NT [PvP]
    'Garnerana' : 220/22 Trox Keeper [PvM]
    'Zinc' : 220/30 Trox Doctor [PvP]
    'Whex' : 171/22 Trox Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I was merely pointing out that the idea that 'Sitting down = 0 defense' because of superficial reasons is rather silly.

The idea of meditation seems bizzare also. I think the problem is that the term 'evades' is misleading. Should be hit deflection skill. Doesn't matter if you are standing, sitting, smoking a pipe, sleeping - those 'evade' nanobots are constantly at work deflecting some of the hits coming your way, no matter where you are or what you are doing.
    Problem with that theory is that casters aren't the classes with the strongest evade skill focus.
    Though trader drains and NT blinds do work extremely well with evades.
    And lately casters have been getting more evades, but mostly as a result of them not having other defensive measures.
    Such like crat AAD.
    So it would seem recent development agrees with you.
    But then what are the "evade" professions going to get?

I personally think 2 people staring at each other and occasionally getting up to fart at each other is not fighting.

But if it's meant to be, I guess I'll roll a soldier so I can make a script that looks like I'm blowing chunks out my ass at my sitting opponent.

*shrug*

I don't sit in combat except for battle treatment kits, even against soldiers. People can buuhuu, but if a soldier AMS's in front of you there should be two options just as there are in any combat situation: fight or flight.

My personal opinion is that healdelta should not go up based on whether you're sitting or standing. Healdelta should go up based on whether you're in combat or out of combat.

That said, i do like the idea of making battle kits usable on standing and not allowing sitting. The meditation idea is as up for "exploit" as normal sitting from my perspective.
    Proud Member of Paradise

I personnally like the idea to drop your whole offense to focus on your defense, works well with a NT, you can sit, use stim, and layer yourself, letting only DM insta hit beetween sitting period.

This method is more or less available to all professions (CCing and using kite/LoS, popping your defense, sitting, layering), if you can't win now, defend yourself and strike when you know you can win.

As much as sitting = more healing looks wrong on paper it has a fair use, and i wouldn't like to see this possibility go away.

Btw i d like to remind you that if your opponent do sit, he broke fight so you can either use a 4K sitting stim, or go in sneak and wait out his AMS, or try to root him while he sits (he won t be able to stand afaik) and wait his AMS once again.

That said i woudln't like to see this ability removed even for my NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Djiax View Post
    I personnally like the idea to drop your whole offense to focus on your defense, works well with a NT, you can sit, use stim, and layer yourself, letting only DM insta hit beetween sitting period.

This method is more or less available to all professions (CCing and using kite/LoS, popping your defense, sitting, layering), if you can't win now, defend yourself and strike when you know you can win.

As much as sitting = more healing looks wrong on paper it has a fair use, and i wouldn't like to see this possibility go away.

Btw i d like to remind you that if your opponent do sit, he broke fight so you can either use a 4K sitting stim, or go in sneak and wait out his AMS, or try to root him while he sits (he won t be able to stand afaik) and wait his AMS once again.

That said i woudln't like to see this ability removed even for my NT.

They can stand immediately on attack.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast