Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtb shift key back in use for scrolling through chat!

Wtb shift key back in use for scrolling through chat!

As topic says. I want the shift key back in use for chat! Using the alt is just clumsy and retarted, and u cant hold alt and arrow and fast scroll through, u have to spam the arrow key for anything to happen. Fix this back the way it was. Why ninjachange something that aint broken? Chat was working perfectly fine until u broke it!!

I wholeheartedly agree. Why oh why could they not keep the old way of doing things, just because of a new input system???

Agree too. Used shift in chat window 5 years and now i even can't rebind it. Same with shift+up as auto-run (even if I bind it - it just don't work) :/

bump. a really huge one.

it's really annoying that they changed that without a reason. i use it alot when playing with more than one toon and now i always hit the wrong keys...

wtb chat reroll =)
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by Slackadoo View Post
    As topic says. I want the shift key back in use for chat! Using the alt is just clumsy and retarted, and u cant hold alt and arrow and fast scroll through, u have to spam the arrow key for anything to happen. Fix this back the way it was. Why ninjachange something that aint broken? Chat was working perfectly fine until u broke it!!
    That you have to spam the key to scroll sounds like a bug.
    If you want the old behaviour back, you can change your key bindings. No reason to change the default. (IMO, they should've kept arrows = manage text field when text field has focus... but that's me. They gave in to the whining, and I changed my key binding.. and there's that.)
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    That you have to spam the key to scroll sounds like a bug.
    If you want the old behaviour back, you can change your key bindings. No reason to change the default. (IMO, they should've kept arrows = manage text field when text field has focus... but that's me. They gave in to the whining, and I changed my key binding.. and there's that.)
    As one for oposite standing, I think they shouldn't have changed it in first place, just made clear it can be re-binded in different behaviour. Years old mechanics shouldn't be messed up...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I liked it how it was in patch 14.0.0.2 where you didnt need shift to scroll up or down.

But this new way will just take some getting used to... unless i can rebind shift to do this?
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

PLEASE bring this back. Been using shift+direction to auto-run for the past 8 years. Going crazy without it!
    Based God.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    PLEASE bring this back. Been using shift+direction to auto-run for the past 8 years. Going crazy without it!
    couldnt you just bind autorun to shift + w (or whatever key you use for forward?)

i kind of like it the way it is now because i use shift for my push to talk key on ts3 and vent in all games i play. the way it was in AO i couldnt use it for years so i had to use voice activation, which really sucks.
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

Bump.

And I for one use the arrow keys to move. Apparently, after discussing it with a GM, you are not currently able to bind shift and a cursorkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackadoo View Post
    someone once very wise said if it aint broken funcom will break it :P
    i want it back too ive been trying to do it all day, just leave things like button configs the same, what is the need for changing something like that when the games been out for so long :/ you just get regular players riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by fenixmik666 View Post
    someone once very wise said if it aint broken funcom will break it :P
    i want it back too ive been trying to do it all day, just leave things like button configs the same, what is the need for changing something like that when the games been out for so long :/ you just get regular players riled up.
    As I posted in another thread to debunk the "it's not broken" statement:
    Years of complaining about how terrible the AO key binding system was, should count as "it's broken". They fixed it. Then more whining, and they fixed it some more. Apparently, the majority of whiners now think the default key binding is fixed. I think they broke it in the last patch... but no matter. The key bindings are nice enough to let me adjust how they work, exactly as I please.
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

As I posted in another thread to debunk the "it's not broken" statement:
    I just looked up the meaning of debunk. To expose the falseness of a idea.

My movement and the ability to press shift while running forward to turn on autorun was certainly not borken before the patch, now it clearly is. The same is true for using shift to select different chat channels and going up and down in text.

And there is no way to get this action back so it was clearly working, now its not. They fixed something which didn't need a fix and now can't be fixed.

So it wasn't broken and they shouldn't have tried to fix it.

This actually was a bug that was fixed.
    We just got used to it, but it's very behavior was a bug.

It wasn't just shift+direction, it was a specific order of pressing and releasing buttons.

It wasn't fixed to kill off this behavior, it was fixed because it caused issues elsewhere.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Massive de-bump.

I always hated how awkward the text input method was in AO. They finally made it work like it should, only to revert it back to pretty much how it was less than a week later thanks to all the whining.

I do not want to hold down any additional keys to force a text input field to work the way it should; not Shift, not Alt, nor any other one. When I have the focus on a chat window, every keyboard event should be passed to it and nowhere else, pure and simple, no bypassed/shared/global keys until I've moved the focus off that window.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

wtb option in preferences:
    - old method pre 18.4 (shift-arrows move cursor in chat, etc.)
    - new method (whatever, i wanna use the old method... )

Well.. the change from >shift< to >alt< is annoying, but something one can get used to I think. What really bugs me is the fact that I can't switch between my active chat channels w/o using my mouse - which really sucks if you want to leave a quick comment or change for w/e other reason and use the keyboard mainly.

WTB that back! Or at least be an option on the settings.
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Spellseeker - Nanotechnician
    Kahja - Doctor

"Authenticity is achieved by saying what you´re doing, and doing what you´re saying." - Johannes Rau
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Socializer 80%, Explorer 53%, Achiever 53%, Killer 13%

Quote Originally Posted by Thaylia View Post
    What really bugs me is the fact that I can't switch between my active chat channels w/o using my mouse - which really sucks if you want to leave a quick comment or change for w/e other reason and use the keyboard mainly.
    That's definitely a bug.

i hate the new input crap.

also about this: how do i change between channels in the same chat window without using mouse if there's multiple with the same start letter? before you could do this enter-tab-shift+up/down, but now i havent been able to figure out yet how to do this...

Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast