Thread: a little perspective please

a little perspective please

let's talk about what funcom is offering in the items store. namely tokens (500, 1k, 2k if i remember correctly) and xp stims (5% 10% 15% 20%) people are all up in arms that this is some gamebreaking thing. but honestly what goes into a "finished" endgame toon like, for example, a soldier? let's break it down

for the sake of simplicity i'll use an endgame soldier as an example (from memory, obviously some will disagree with certain parts of this setup but it's to illustrate a point and not to point out the best pvp solja setup)

the grind:
    200 levels
    20 shadowlevels
    30 alien levels
    70 research levels

the clothing:
    2500 tokens
    2500 board with corresponding upgrade base
    full set of CC @ 500m/piece
    1x alappaa pad
    1x ofab/t3 pad? i donno
    db bracer with 10 infusers
    1x ofab backpiece
    1x ofab ring
    nvm buyable

the implants:
    full set of intels
    full set of betas
    2 quest betas

the huds/weapons:
    dread loot (whatever it is that soljas use)
    anger + WU
    apf belt
    pande memories
    stellar nanodeck
    ACDC <-- lololol

that's not including the nodrop tl7 buffrings, quests (lol db quest? ring of plausibility quest?), apf nanos, buff armors, boc, social, etc etc.

now of all these things funcom gave us the option of making the grind go by 20%faster (not really because research is capped) and tokens a bit easier to get (not like you won't have 5k+ after finishing research if you're doing like 1 daily a day). before xp stims came into play you could go from 1-160ish in 6-8 hours /played. so now that grind goes 20% faster if someone wants to shell out the cash for it. EVERYTHING ELSE STILL TAKES FOREVER AND A DAY TO GET. believe me there will be a VERY minor difference in the /played of someone who plays 1-endgame with xp stims/2.5k tokens and someone who doesn't.

that is all, carry on with the QQ threads about how someone got their 2500 tokenboard on at 210 instead of 220 like you did. or how they spent 1 hour less on kite hill than you.

100% agree with you. I made a similar (though much shorter) comment in another thread about how just because they remove/reduce the token grind doesn't mean the entire game is easy or something. It means we have one less, of many, grinds to do.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

yeah right, xp stims and buyable tokens only make a teeny-weeny difference for the paid player and are not worth the money. i absolutely agree on that.

but i guess they intended the item shop mainly for people who play this game for free (aka fr00bs) to get money out of them. for free players these items make a HUGE difference! try lvl 1-160 and when you're done count the hours *cough cough* it took you 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Exxxie View Post
    but i guess they intended the item shop mainly for people who play this game for free (aka fr00bs) to get money out of them. for free players these items make a HUGE difference! try lvl 1-160 and when you're done count the hours *cough cough* it took you 8)
    In the FWM 3 weeks ago :

"Items not available NOW...but planned for in the future:

Time Limited Access (passes) to expansion content for free players."

Probably will be better to buy that and power level to 160 (SL is a lot more then 20% added XP) then go back to froob.

Token isn't so much of an issue for froob neither, i guess, since i dinged my lvl 200 with the required amount of 1750 tokens without farming for it even once (team missions). Dailies can only make it easier i guess ? Maybe not if you look in details, been long since i played as a froob.

Either way i really think you gotta be pretty dumb to fall for the marketing they put in place and buy your token/VP/XP stim with RL cash.

if you remember correctly, Microsoft is closing Massive, the company that runs the in-game billboards, of which pay for the fr00b program. the in-game store just happens to appear, right around this time.

if you don't like the store, don't buy.
    if you don't buy an item, you have no right to complain about it.

while I am against having the store in the first place, I am for supporting the company that provides you the entertainment.
    then again, I'm all for need, but don't like greed.

it's a real paradox.
    Last edited by Xyphos; Nov 27th, 2010 at 03:27:12.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

XP stims piss me off but they're pretty low on my list of concerns right now, the rest of the itemshop things I just don't care about.

Didn't know that about the billboards shutting down. Kind of a shame, I always hoped that sort of thing would take off and maybe give the tech sector in general a kick in the pants away from worthless, stupitarded click based advertising models.

I hope funcom can find a new "billboard sponsor". (maybe after engine launch)
    Always liked it to watch them in my froob days.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

I used to looooooove those billboards as a froob. I remember when they first came out they had adds for Motley Crue of all things .

As for froob grind it's infinitely easier to "finish" a froob but again, gearing a toon still takes longer than the 1-200 + 1750 token grind.