Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 3rd, 2010 - In the dark

wtf is going on here
    no backups?
    no power cut safeguarding?
    ancient machines? oO

WOOT ??

we play a game which database can always be "deleted" by a simply power cut?

wtf

wtf

wtf

WOOT?

This reminds me of George W. Bush and Putin. A journalist asked Putin what he would have done, if he would have been in the situation Bush is, who can't find any weapons of mass destruction.

Putins answer: "I would find some!"

So even if my office, as a game developer, would be working on 9 year old machines and I don't have any power supply backup. I would never confess it...

As a shareholder of FunCom I would go nuts to read something like this. PR was never a strength of FunCom, but this is like a declaration of bankruptcy.

*sighs*

The export process is probably hard coded to only work with those computers legacy hardware or something. Seems about in tune with the rest of AOs code base

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    That's not funny my brother died that way.
    Because Race Yalm

So why not use a build from a preivous year.. Perhaps one from a few years back if your dead line is so thin. If you pick one from 4 years ago most of us wont even remember or know if its a new build.

Why stress yourself when other eliments are going to stretch your deadline.. Sure a few might be upset that its not a NEW build but atleast we have christmas and you guys dont have to stress yourselfs out and use that energy on other stuff...(run on sentance

Now is it that easy to do that? or since the there has been so many patches the build has to be new to fit the current version of AO?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldebeast View Post
    Gimps, real men dual wield longboats!
    ... wearing only omni - med.

I can testify to experience with the surprisingly silly little machines at the core of seemingly important events and institutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by ElLuke View Post
    This reminds me of George W. Bush and Putin. A journalist asked Putin what he would have done, if he would have been in the situation Bush is, who can't find any weapons of mass destruction.

Putins answer: "I would find some!"

So even if my office, as a game developer, would be working on 9 year old machines and I don't have any power supply backup. I would never confess it...

As a shareholder of FunCom I would go nuts to read something like this. PR was never a strength of FunCom, but this is like a declaration of bankruptcy.

*sighs*
    yes. thanks for these words, thats definitively what i thought

this FWM is inconceivable

well ...sometimes itz better to hide your incompetency
    if funcom says: _> yes...we are not good enough to make some backups of the new stuff we are now working on. AND any power cut can kill our entire work of (months?) (weeks?) some days.......why somebody shut trust in this firm anyways?
    Last edited by Shye; Dec 4th, 2010 at 02:38:20.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Shye View Post
    well ...sometimes itz better to hide your incompetency
    if funcom says: _> yes...we are not good enough to make some backups of the new stuff we are now working on. AND any power cut can kill our entire work of (months?) (weeks?) some days.......why somebody shut trust in this firm anyways?
    No one said we lost any *work* - Nothing was wiped as a result of the power outage. We just couldn't build a new update for Testlive today because the machine that *makes* those builds was down. Plain and simple.

And again - A fan broke inside the machine. There's no backup power supply in the world that'll stop a literal hardware failure.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

kintaii you workaholic, get some sleep :P

Funcom employee

Eh, not workin' tonight - Minecrafting it up for a bit instead. Gotta take a break once in a while at least.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Okay then, carry on :P

guys I think what Means means to say is they are now starting an appeal to Comic Relief and the Salvation Army for some Xmas<3 to their poor third world outfit.

Wont sum1 plx think of the Kintaiiz?!?

Save our AOz!
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I would hire Kintaii any day. He is more loyal than Justin Bieber fans.

Quote Originally Posted by nubbs View Post
    Dear Means,

Please stop feeding the Devs Gasoline! This cannot be healthy for them!

that is all.
    /Agree
    Tiger Claw RK2
    Enforshar 220/30/70 Enf PVM
    Sharrr 220/25/60 Crat PVP - WIP
    Jessilav 170 NT PVP
    Microsoft WIP TS'er

Sharrr's Proposition
    Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    I need to shut my mouth now or I will be quoted on the internet talking about b00bs, again.

Know what would fix everything?

Plate cake. For the servers.
    Raise your hand \o if you want to pay lots of attention to Veebz!

Quote Originally Posted by Siyra View Post
    Remind me to never have dealings with you if that's how you feel about honest and forthcoming behaviour.
    There is always more then one point of view. Nobody said life is fair, or if they told you so, you have been screwed.

While I agree, that Putins approach is not a honest one, the original approach wasn't either. But what we can learn about this situation is, that even if something is a lie it may protect people. Just as an idea, what if they would have found these weapons, even it means they use a lie to cover a former lie, it may have led to less resistance. How do you think people feel who hear their country has been attacked based on a lie ? I can not give you an answer to this question, because I don't know either, but at least it is something to think about.

Now to be very hypothetical and I will use the stylistic device of overstatement here:

In london an analyst of the "HappyTimesBank" gets the assignment to provide a forecast for FunCom as one of the leading european gaming developers. For sure he will also have somebody to check playerbase and their expectations for the future and then he sees a post from one of the leading Dev's saying they are using old hardware and due to that fact sometimes something breaks, even if it is only a fan.

Now we are talking about the real world which isn't fair. It now depends on the analyst how to assess that. At this point it also matters WHO hired him to do this analysis.

1. He writes that FC is very creative and they reduce costs by not investing in unneeded things like new hardware if the old one is still good. Positive Feedback - Investors go nuts and buy FunCom stock like crazy, FunCom's total worth increases dramatically. For AO 25 new people are hired and everything is done until christmas.

2. He writes that FC is not up to date and therefore in future more problems can be anticipated. Negative Feedback - Former Investors sell their stock, the worth of the company reduces dramatically and does not cover the liabilities anymore. FunCom collapses and all former employees are unemployed.

Both statements are TOTALLY overstated, but it is to show my point of view.

It is not without a reason that big companies pay people a ****load of money just to keep an eye on their PR. They even employ psychologists to analyze how a statement will be judged by the public. (My main example here: better say it will take longer and need less time, then vice versa.)

I just can not understand why such critical information is opened to the public especially customers, especially if there is no need to do so. I will never understand.

Just my 2 cents

Talking

Digitize me means!!!
    Innervoid 220 / 30 / 70 MA (sadly no longer teh main man cos MA haz no lub)
    Thedarknight 220 / 30 / 70 ADV (name reset FTW)
    Shrektehogre 220/ 30 / 70 KEEP (Prolly the Main, maybe)
    Enemywithin 220 / 30 / 70 AGENT (RAWR)
    Lastsamurai 220 / 30 / 70 SOL (6th 220 FTW!)
    Innerpeace 220 / 30 / 70 CRAT (First Calmer)
    Stargazer 220 / 30 / 70 MA DOC
    Abyssgazer 220 MP (8hr CM lubbin/all around MP gamp)
    Misterscott 220 ENGY / Deaconfroste 220 SHADE / Vforvendetta 220 ENF / Haljordan 220 Fix

Can someone explain the Galaxy Quest quote? I've seen Galaxy Quest, but I don't recall the quote, it's been too long. And it being a comedy, it's probably sarcastic in some way.

Tim Allen's characters catch phrase from the TV show he does in the movie. As the captain of the ship his motto is "Never give up, never surrender".
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast