Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 3rd, 2010 - In the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    No one said we lost any *work* - Nothing was wiped as a result of the power outage. We just couldn't build a new update for Testlive today because the machine that *makes* those builds was down. Plain and simple.

And again - A fan broke inside the machine. There's no backup power supply in the world that'll stop a literal hardware failure.
    thx for the info

my fault

i thought...as means said.....that funcom got backwarped with the "patching" work ...cause of a simply power cut and no backups...thats what i see if i read the FWM

Stop. Fighting.

Seriously, some people here need to get over the need to make every single disagreement an Epic Battle.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Funcom employee

Arguing solves nothing. And having to refresh the thread to make sure no one's arguing not only takes away from my sleep time but also my Minecraftin', and that portal room ain't going to build itself. :P We have rules for a reason, folks - I strongly suggest everyone listen to the nice ARK lady. Last warning.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Fates never sleeps...
    ...not only takes away from my sleep time but also creating hatz...
    ....and fixed for ya
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

it was an alien death rocket
    Someone needs to update their detaunts!

every single disagreement an Epic Battle.
    lol, doh!

when is mp new goodies document coming out :3

Unhappy

. And having to refresh the thread to make sure no one's arguing not only takes away from my sleep time but also my Minecraftin', and that portal room ain't going to build itself. :P
    In addition to working on Anarchy, Kintaii plays something besides Anarchy in his spare time?

:~(

No one said we lost any *work* - Nothing was wiped as a result of the power outage. We just couldn't build a new update for Testlive today because the machine that *makes* those builds was down. Plain and simple.
    I can certainly see how people could interpret the post by Means to state that work was lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Today's power failure blew out one disk and actually managed to break one of the cooling fans on one of the old machines that is central to our archaic build system...so our hopes of deploying a build with Christmas goodies (and other adjustments) to TestLive just got a bit thinner.
    To most people, "blew out one disk" equals an unknown quantity of lost work.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    I can certainly see how people could interpret the post by Means to state that work was lost.To most people, "blew out one disk" equals an unknown quantity of lost work.
    This of course if you base your conclusion on the assumption that:

a) Blowing a disk does equal a HD with data on it dying
    b) That, should A be true, they didn't have backups
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

I can certainly see how people could interpret the post by Means to state that work was lost.To most people, "blew out one disk" equals an unknown quantity of lost work.
    Unless they are running it in a RAID stack that allowed them to recover from such loss.
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

And then I ask myself, if it is of no importance, why mention it? Instead make a quick refence to other things that are important to the majority of the playerbase. If I remember correctly noob experience rewamp won 1st place, by a large margin, in the playerbase prefence pool done some FWM before. Is anything being done in that area? Or is it going to be a "quick fix" by adding some prepackaged profession specific equipment into the P2W shop?
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101 View Post
    And then I ask myself, if it is of no importance, why mention it?
    My friend asked the same question earlier when we were on voip, I said "Cause he felt like it" and that's what I'm sticking to
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Arguing not only takes away from my sleep time but also playing my Trox Ranged Advy and the noob PvPers aren't going to kill themselves. :P We made that AS pistol for a reason.
    Fixed your quote up for accuracy. We all know it's true
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

And again - A fan broke inside the machine. There's no backup power supply in the world that'll stop a literal hardware failure.
    actually an ups prevents hardware failures like destroyed fans, hdd's, molten plastics and fried cpu's. cutting the power supply to a transformer easily fries everything on the consumer side, especially electronics but also fans. cutting the power supply to a running system generally risks the overheating of components that have an active cooling. but sure, it may be a coincidence that the fan and the hdd just died during a power outage.

I think this thread proves a point..
    No matter what Means says in FWM, there will be a dozen pages of bickering.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Trgeorge View Post
    First off, -15 ain't that cold, we get such temperatures at Adriatic as well (ok, not exactly at beach). And cars runing on diesel start up just fine. Secondly, generators aren't placed outside, where they could be battered by weather. They are placed inside, in well ventilated rooms, which ,while usually un-heated, are still warmer than outside temperatures.
    Real men start diesel engines on compressed air and have integrated pre-heaters that are basically diesel flamethrowers warming up the oil and engine block. Cold does not have to be an issue

Then again you better remember to have diesel that doesn't clot in that temperature, as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    So, how's the "a Q1 2011 launch seems relatively certain." deadline for the new engine release looking now?
    Better hope there's no more power outages
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

To most corporate peoples, "blew out one disk" means that it's time to replace it and let the RAID array rebuild itself.

And, y'know, RAID arrays in a machine used as build environment for a company makes sense... speeds things up, creates more safety, etc. If you do it right, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Then again you better remember to have diesel that doesn't clot in that temperature, as well...
    But but..

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Real men [...] have [...] flamethrowers warming up the oil [...]. Cold does not have to be an issue
    Just flamethrower the diesel and everything will be fine!
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

In any decent organization "blew out one disk" means, go to the data center and hotswap the failed drive with a brand new one. As information is all mirrored (via RAID configurations or whatnot), you lose nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    I think this thread proves a point..
    No matter what Means says in FWM, there will be a dozen pages of bickering.
    You just say that because you have a hat. :\
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast