Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 3rd, 2010 - In the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    They said "if they told me they wouldn't be on vacation". I don't know...probably learning kung-fu in some monastery in the deepest jungle somewhere....
    preparations for the next power fail i guess :P..
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

First.
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

Second. Plate cake.
    Raise your hand \o if you want to pay lots of attention to Veebz!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    I can certainly see how people could interpret the post by Means to state that work was lost.To most people, "blew out one disk" equals an unknown quantity of lost work.
    Ever hear of RAID ? :P
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Yah, something peopolz ustado in them olden times to get beast and alium loots. Rite? Rite?
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackagnes View Post
    I'm with you on this. COME TO AUSTRALIA WHERE ITS SUMMER.
    LOL I'm from Brazil where is always summer :P
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

You know, I used to think that AO's code base was untenable and that was the cause of the slow development in AO.

If for some unknown reason were using 9 year old harware that was either: never upgrade, or due to some vaguarity of the support software was untransferable without great effort to a modern machine; I can see the development taking for ever. A 12 hour build cycle is eating so much time, makes a person wonder if you could have been more effective if you could make that build time into something rational. Considering I can compile an OS + all supporting software + download the source in that same time period or less on a machine from 5 years ago. I find it difficult to believe that you need 12 hours per build unless the source of that slowness is whacky programming on your build software that makes it wasteful or just your machine was that dog-dirt slow.

Now that it has suffered a hardware failure, are you able to get the funding to replace the machine(s)? Do you need donations of hardware? We all run legacy systems in buisness. Dealing with those systems has always been a thorn in mine, and everyones side world wide. But only rarely have I ever run into software that was unable to be migrated to newer hardware as it became available. We usually forcably retire said software after a time, despite all the pissing and moaning involved.

I am not trolling, just amazed at something that I view as something of an insanity. How do you put up with it? I would be beating down the execs office door and hold him hostage with a list of demands if I was developing in such an enviroment. How does Macrosun survive without going postal?
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    How does Macrosun survive without going postal?
    I think it can't get worse for him.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

We're not going to get candid, honest feedback from the FC team if they get jumped all over every time they try to share what they're going through. They're a couple guys - in their 30s and 20s (and some arks/gms/interns in their teens, I'd guess) - who are trying to maintain and update a game they love AND that they're paid to work on. They hit a hardware snag, they told us why. Things happen. I'm pretty sure they already know about UPS's, RAID arrays and the wonders of backing up their data.

But do they know about Lister engines and the wonders of biofuel?
    Last edited by If6Was9; Dec 4th, 2010 at 20:44:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    We're not going to get candid, honest feedback from the FC team if they get jumped all over every time they try to share what they're going through. They're a couple guys - in their 30s and 20s (and some arks/gms/interns in their teens, I'd guess) - who are trying to maintain and update a game they love AND that they're paid to work on. They hit a hardware snag, they told us why. Things happen. I'm pretty sure they already know about UPS's, RAID arrays and the wonders of backing up their data.

But do they know about Lister engines and the wonders of biofuel?
    I have total faith in Means' team to do what is in the state of the art from an IT perspective to maintain AO to top standards. I'm even willing to review their Microsoft environment.

Coming from a Windows Servers MVP, this has to have some kind of weight.

For those referencing my previous post & mentioning a RAID mirror or some other backup plan in effect, you are missing the point. The comment by Means stated they "blew up a drive", which translates to said drive is no longer functioning.

Even if they have a backup plan in effect, if the drive is no longer functioning, it is a loss of data since the last backup. An exclusion for that would be a RAID mirror. However, the company that receives its income from games designed for computers had no power protection on a 9+ year old computer that they considered as 'critical equipment'.

Knowing that, some of you still assume they had a RAID on it? Give me a break.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

We had raid 9 years ago. You are making assumptions based on desktops, even though we had raid on desktops 15 years ago. So you are wrong there too. You call it 9 year old POS computers that may be crap now but chances are they were top of the line 9 years ago. You don't usually develope on crappy consumer harware by and large.

So, you are making assumptions that are basesless and foolish.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

For those referencing my previous post & mentioning a RAID mirror or some other backup plan in effect, you are missing the point. The comment by Means stated they "blew up a drive", which translates to said drive is no longer functioning.

Even if they have a backup plan in effect, if the drive is no longer functioning, it is a loss of data since the last backup. An exclusion for that would be a RAID mirror. However, the company that receives its income from games designed for computers had no power protection on a 9+ year old computer that they considered as 'critical equipment'.

RAID is pretty old in IT. 9 years ago we were able to see single drives burn, and the state of service wouldn't change a bit. Whether it'd be a RAID5 with a single drive burning, a setup focused for read access, but a penalty in writing access. Or RAID 10 or 1-0, which means full mirroring with max writing speeds. You'd just hotswap a faulty drive with a good one. And you'd still rock & roll.

What people know.. is RAID 0.. which is a solution to speed up access to drives...but if you lose one, you lose everything. Raid 1 is the first mirror solution.

I'm pretty sure FC is on top of this^^.

SCSI drives are pretty damn durable, and they are made to last (could go years before having to replace one, hence why they can be expensive).

As Ocene pointed it out RAID configuration has been in use for quite a while. No company would be without a RAID setup as it's pure suicide (HDDs are mechanical objects which are prone to failure, just a matter of when, [though very small businesses can go without, but major companies cannot]). If you're gonna really knock them on anything, not having a UPS would be it, not that a drive blew out.
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    You know, I used to think that AO's code base was untenable and that was the cause of the slow development in AO.

If for some unknown reason were using 9 year old harware that was either: never upgrade, or due to some vaguarity of the support software was untransferable without great effort to a modern machine; I can see the development taking for ever. A 12 hour build cycle is eating so much time, makes a person wonder if you could have been more effective if you could make that build time into something rational. Considering I can compile an OS + all supporting software + download the source in that same time period or less on a machine from 5 years ago. I find it difficult to believe that you need 12 hours per build unless the source of that slowness is whacky programming on your build software that makes it wasteful or just your machine was that dog-dirt slow.

Now that it has suffered a hardware failure, are you able to get the funding to replace the machine(s)? Do you need donations of hardware? We all run legacy systems in buisness. Dealing with those systems has always been a thorn in mine, and everyones side world wide. But only rarely have I ever run into software that was unable to be migrated to newer hardware as it became available. We usually forcably retire said software after a time, despite all the pissing and moaning involved.

I am not trolling, just amazed at something that I view as something of an insanity. How do you put up with it? I would be beating down the execs office door and hold him hostage with a list of demands if I was developing in such an enviroment. How does Macrosun survive without going postal?
    It's not 12 hours build time.
    It's 12 hours to get the entire build system for release builds and patches up and running after it's been shut down.
    This is also completely unrelated to the speed of our test cycle while developing.

Please read what Means said carefully before making assumptions

ps. Seems some people still didn't get this: NO DATA WAS LOST.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Dec 5th, 2010 at 13:24:55.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    ps. Seems some people still didn't get this: NO DATA WAS LOST.
    People rarely understand whats written, even when explained multiple times and in very simple terms, usually because the "headless chicken" is easier.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

That's slightly harsh, personally I prefer the term "Acephalous Gallus gallus domesticus"...

But in all seriousness - having read the comments posted in these threads year on year and finding the same tirade of insults and infantile whining directed at the developers I felt just had to say this:

I wish the team good luck, you have done a fine job so far and I look forward to seeing this game survive for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101 View Post
    Yah, something peopolz ustado in them olden times to get beast and alium loots. Rite? Rite?
    Been killing bugs that way for years.
    It's like an aerosol can full of axp.
    Last edited by Keldros; Dec 5th, 2010 at 21:59:06.

Quote Originally Posted by zeusima View Post
    I wish the team good luck, you have done a fine job so far and I look forward to seeing this game survive for years to come.
    This is more appropriate than whining about imaginary lost data.

I think people are always so shocked when means does a "lets talk about the weather" thread, that some will read between lines, start an armchair-professor debate about it, and in the end everyones IQ drops a point or two.

so, on a more important note, will christmas phats(?) drop like normal this year, or will there be item shop only (i hope not) christmas stuff as well?
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast