Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 3rd, 2010 - In the dark

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    We had raid 9 years ago. You are making assumptions based on desktops, even though we had raid on desktops 15 years ago. So you are wrong there too. You call it 9 year old POS computers that may be crap now but chances are they were top of the line 9 years ago. You don't usually develope on crappy consumer harware by and large.

So, you are making assumptions that are basesless and foolish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    RAID is pretty old in IT. 9 years ago we were able to see single drives burn, and the state of service wouldn't change a bit. Whether it'd be a RAID5 with a single drive burning, a setup focused for read access, but a penalty in writing access. Or RAID 10 or 1-0, which means full mirroring with max writing speeds. You'd just hotswap a faulty drive with a good one. And you'd still rock & roll.

What people know.. is RAID 0.. which is a solution to speed up access to drives...but if you lose one, you lose everything. Raid 1 is the first mirror solution.

I'm pretty sure FC is on top of this^^.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanx9 View Post
    SCSI drives are pretty damn durable, and they are made to last (could go years before having to replace one, hence why they can be expensive).

As Ocene pointed it out RAID configuration has been in use for quite a while. No company would be without a RAID setup as it's pure suicide (HDDs are mechanical objects which are prone to failure, just a matter of when, [though very small businesses can go without, but major companies cannot]). If you're gonna really knock them on anything, not having a UPS would be it, not that a drive blew out.
    Not everyone on this forum is still waiting to hit puberty. Some of us have been in the computer industry for longer than some of the self-proclaimed 'experts' in these forums have been alive. My first job was in an environmentally controlled room the size of a basketball court, with a subfloor, containing rows of mainframes with paper card printers & readers, plus dozens of tape drives the size of clothes washing machines containing 10.5" magnetic tape reels for archival purposes, with a recent upgrade of eight 40MB hard drives the size of clothes dryers. It looked like a large laundromat. That was an era where potential employees had to take a written test to prove they were fluent in binary, BASIC & EBCDIC (or ASCII), just to get an interview. Many years later I worked in the engineering department for a major manufacturer of network servers at the time that this game was being created, so I am quite aware of what SASI, SCSI & even RAID are used for, plus how many decades each have been around.

My assumption was NOT based on the actual technology that was available at the time said computer was purchased. I made my previous assumption based on the statements provided by Means, plus no power protection & extremely old equipment showing a lack of proper technical knowledge &/or care on the part of Funcom's employee(s) that are responsible for IT. Means being told that a "loss of power caused a fan to fail" is a prime example. The loss of power did not cause the fan to fail. A power surge or a bad bearing caused the fan to fail. My previous posts referenced how some of you are blindly assuming that despite the fact that they did not have the foresight to consider power protection, they had the foresight to consider mirroring the data storage?

Feel free to find words in this post to take out of context too. I made an attempt to explain any possible confusion, real or imaginary. Have fun.
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Dec 6th, 2010 at 08:05:18.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    The loss of power did not cause the fan to fail. A power surge or a bad bearing caused the fan to fail. My previous posts referenced how some of you are blindly assuming that despite the fact that they did not have the foresight to consider power protection, they had the foresight to consider mirroring the data storage?
    A power failure, and the subsequent return of the power, was what caused my old HD to fry; even with a surge protector on my power bar. The entire fuse box for my place was arcing and melting itself from the overflow of power.

Funcom may (and probably does) know very much about power and data protection: simply because it failed (like any machine can) doesn't make them inept, it's bad luck.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

if i was means I'd be asking did this affect AOC as well? Why/why not? It's amazing to hear a GD constantly giving excuses for the mundanest things, they should simply not admit it and make up some other smoke and mirrors trick like some new heads or something. Jeez just have a backlog of shiny pixels to keep the fanbois drooling when stuff like this happens
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Year ago Means posted short vid of new engine. It was after 6 months after they said they change engine from Ogre to DW. Yet, after this year FC staff can't make simple 1 minute movie showing how it look like. 3 screens doenst cut the talk, about Engine aint made at all, or wont make it till AO death. Seriously, as a AO fan, long time player, I want to know how things are now, so I can made decision which can impact my wallet - since paying for 4 accounts, twinking chars and playing is timeconsuming, and I would not like to see myself in this game after 6 monts alone, w/o new engine and new playerbase - knowing I could quit now to another game.

New engine, along with some tweaks and big advertisement of AO on many platforms is needed to keep old dawgs and get new ones.

Another (poor) excuse shows that FWM is needed, but to share game concerns/progress on upgrading then saying "we failed again". Means said that New engine will hit 1st quater of 2011, which - considering timelap so far - is nothing else till end of 2011 or first month of 2012. Considering, no new vid was posted since year, or nor any screens involving new effects of new engine, I am very concerned.

This carrot doesnt work anymore for me, and this FWM shows things are worse then I thought - and I suppose to be very unoptymistic in that metter.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Phio: the new engine was shown off in Oslo, at the player gathering. Not a video, but live playing. So it is coming. I wasn't there myself, but friends I trust did see it.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

I was there! And yes, I saw it. And yes, it was purty!

Not so quick message to some criers:

1 - Power protection systems is far more expensive then data backup system.

2 - I dont think Nowergian have that much eletric problems to justify the needness of power protection system and power suply backup. :P They should have but they dont need. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3 - They cant launch new engine w/o rebalance and new noob isle.

4 - New engine will not change the game, will bring fresh noobs. So, if you are bored on AO, the engine will not change it as well.

5 - They didnt launch a new engine yet cause: a) Its a waste of advertsement. b) They didnt touched the buildings yet.

No, I'm not defending FC. But sometimes I became angry when you all throw big stones on Devs heads when they did nothing wrong.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

1. Correct
    2. Well.... In fall, we have a few lightning storms (very few actually).
    3, 4, 5. Agreed

Ad 4. I am not Bored of AO, and I doubt I ever will since I fell like a part of this world. What bugs me its being forced to play it alone. Solo daily or OST teams aint fun at any lvl. I just want new players, so I could play with them and enjoy the game as it should be or was some years ago!

An if there was showoff of Engine in Osla, shame on FC they didnt make any video for us!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Means said that New engine will hit 1st quater of 2011, which - considering timelap so far - is nothing else till end of 2011 or first month of 2012.
    Putting the code together to let AO work with a new engine is likely the least of all problems. The biggest chunk of work is getting all the old content (think of models, textures, game scripting etc.) running again. In the worst case this means recreating everything from scratch. You know how much content we have in AO, it is for sure not done overnight

Quote Originally Posted by Sferyl View Post
    . You know how much content we have in AO, it is for sure not done overnight
    3 years sound about right?
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Quote Originally Posted by Sferyl View Post
    Putting the code together to let AO work with a new engine is likely the least of all problems. The biggest chunk of work is getting all the old content (think of models, textures, game scripting etc.) running again. In the worst case this means recreating everything from scratch. You know how much content we have in AO, it is for sure not done overnight
    This actually is what we would define as "to let AO work with a new engine".
    Means already previously stated there won't be a complete remake in assets.

The work currently being done is exactly that. Making everything we currently have work with the new graphics engine (underlined to prevent confusion).
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

I'm curious, were the people that worked on the original dreamworld engine; the same people that worked on the aoc dreamworld engine? and if so, are these same people still there working on the transition between the two engines, or at least being consulted upon?
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Worldofalts View Post
    I'm curious, were the people that worked on the original dreamworld engine; the same people that worked on the aoc dreamworld engine? and if so, are these same people still there working on the transition between the two engines, or at least being consulted upon?
    I don't think any of the original engine coders are still around (hence Means comments two summers ago about having learned about all the strange bits in the old engine code while developing Ogre) but they appear to have one of the AoC coders on hand and primarily focussed on the AO port.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

I think it is now as bad as the doomsayers make it sound.

The plot thickens, some things just dont add up. I wouldnt even be surprised if Means throws in the towel within 2-3 months and moves on to greener fields within the company, like so many of his predecessors. Besides his friday posts, there has been only 1-2 other posts by him every week for a couple of weeks now. He used to be alot more communicative... and its not like there isnt much to talk about. He grew tired of us whiners!
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
    I think it is now as bad as the doomsayers make it sound.

The plot thickens, some things just dont add up. I wouldnt even be surprised if Means throws in the towel within 2-3 months and moves on to greener fields within the company, like so many of his predecessors. Besides his friday posts, there has been only 1-2 other posts by him every week for a couple of weeks now. He used to be alot more communicative... and its not like there isnt much to talk about. He grew tired of us whiners!
    If he has to deal with this nonsense all the time, I wouldn't be surprised..

What about actually growing up at one time in all of your lives, and realize that rome wasn't built in a day... And rest asured I don't think anyone wants the rebalance/Engine to be ready more than Funcom + Means and his Dev crew... Imagine all the sweat and manhours they have all put in on these projects. If people could just stop thinking about themselves for one second. Maybe that would make everyone feel just slightly better.

Me myself, I'm really psyched about the changes. And I just really hope it can to some extent revitalize AO, bring new fresh blood and at the same time reward something to keep players engaged. (OLD PVP TITLES WAS GREAT FOR THAT!!) hint hint to Funcom That would in my opinion be the very easiest fix to the problem. Re-introduce old titles, and let players fight for titles again...
    Borris2 - 220/30 Martial Artist

Andarsmann - 100/10 Trader

Borris1 - 30/3 Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by borriss View Post
    Me myself, I'm really psyched about the changes. And I just really hope it can to some extent revitalize AO, bring new fresh blood and at the same time reward something to keep players engaged. (OLD PVP TITLES WAS GREAT FOR THAT!!) hint hint to Funcom That would in my opinion be the very easiest fix to the problem. Re-introduce old titles, and let players fight for titles again...
    And make the titles reset periodically so that you can't just farm the title and then sit around with it....

last
    Hailing from Kirkland Washington
    Enfraam 217/21 NT
    10,000 levels

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    last
    damn im too late
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otinsainpas View Post
    damn im too late
    Maybe not.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast