Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merge the servers already

Merge the servers already

God. Means, for the love of god. It used to be the Germans suffering on DNW, now it's RK2, specifically US time zones. This is a really simple suggestion, with one real question: Does AO have the population to support two separate servers anymore?

In my opinion, it does not.

An semi-related question: Does the Funcom staff, based in Oslo, ever log on say 04:00 - 09:00 CET?
    Last edited by Mahdi007; Dec 14th, 2010 at 03:38:00.

Please stop bringing this issue up. There is no way they are merging servers with the upcoming release of the graphics engine. The incoming population will overwhelm just one server. People will complain of lag problems and more. When they see the lag (more than normal, that is), they will leave. It's not worth it.

While it may make sense to merge servers today, in a few months (give or take 3 years) when the new graphic engine comes out, they will just have to un-merge it again.
    Last edited by protozo; Dec 14th, 2010 at 03:58:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi007 View Post
    God. Means, for the love of god. It used to be the Germans suffering on DNW, now it's RK2, specifically US time zones. This is a really simple suggestion, with one real question: Does AO have the population to support two separate servers anymore?

In my opinion, it does not.

An semi-related question: Does the Funcom staff, based in Oslo, ever log on say 04:00 - 09:00 CET?
    Your suggestion is a "simple question". My mandate thus: what is CET?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

I'm guessing Central Eastern Time.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Central European Time (GMT+1).
    RK2
    Boem 220/30 Opi Agent
    Geseeff 165/20 Soli NT
    Animalsk 170/21 Soli ranged adv
    Geseeff2 150/20 Soli Agent

Surovi1: enf dead in like 10 secunds
    Toxicrush: show me
    Surovi1: i no time for that

So close.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by protozo View Post
    The incoming population will overwhelm just one server.
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaha
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

Please stop bringing this issue up. There is no way they are merging servers with the upcoming release of the graphics engine. The incoming population will overwhelm just one server. People will complain of lag problems and more. When they see the lag (more than normal, that is), they will leave. It's not worth it.

While it may make sense to merge servers today, in a few months (give or take 3 years) when the new graphic engine comes out, they will just have to un-merge it again.
    Wake up

Newcomers (if any) will join RK1 just like DNW dwellers did. Id advice anyone i meet to do it, even tho im from rk2.

If they are so affraid of merging they could give us ability to pay for a single character transfer at last. Starting from nothing on a different server is a f...g nightmare.
    Last edited by Ciekafsky; Dec 14th, 2010 at 09:40:26.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

I have yet to have any issues with RK2 population levels, it seems as quick as ever to get good teams for pretty much anything. Debump.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciekafsky View Post
    Starting from nothing on a different server is a f...g nightmare.
    Orly?
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Yeah and i know what are you going to say but unfortunately it has nothing to do with money
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

I was going to make a similar but not identical post.

Merging the battlestations would be enough imo. It would mean that we would have bs action from level 100-220 pretty much around the clock. That's enough to keep me happy. I believe this new activity would spread over to other stuff as well.

I know FC stated that it's not very easy to do. But it seriously can't be THAT hard to do. Imo the bs waiting area should also be mutual between both servers so that we can duel each other.

The duel room would need to be expanded ofcourse. And there could be other pvp areas connected to this as well. Perhaps even a 1 team pvp instance with decent pvp score as rewards

The possibilities are great and I am certain it could help ao alot if it happened.

ps. I would love to pvp some new ppl. Would kick so much ass!
    Last edited by Noobius76; Dec 14th, 2010 at 12:55:38.

The major hassle with merging would be dealing with city and land control areas. The easy way to solve that would be to simply: (1) announce that server merge will take place in six months; (2) allow free, one-time, one-way transfer of all toons on any paid account (including all assets, items, etc.); and (3) allow a one-time, one-way transfer of all toons on any froob account for a nominal price in paid points (maybe twice the cost of a name change would be fair).

If needed, they could also roll out some copies of the Three Craters zones to provide open city plots that would be available for direct purchase from FC, only to owners of existing cities on the shutdown server who transfer a city-owning toon to the server that will stay up. When the six-month deadline hits, the server they're abandoning could just be shut down and any remaining toons transferred in bulk, subject to the loss without replacement of any land control areas or cities those toons hold on the old server at the time of shutdown.

NW towers aint a problem. If you cant grab them back once they are lost on another server it means that you dont deserve them anyway. Cities also arent a problem, its just time to make one simple change that should be here years ago: mail delivery system of items found in gms and introduce shops to instanced ones.

Main problem are people with characters over both servers

IMHO they should allow character transfer nowadays from rk2 to rk1 so we have a feeling that there are a bit more people to play with and if this new engine is ever introduced (I doubt it) and some new people join us (uhuhu, if only pigs could fly …) a new server could be opened and many veterans would join it for fun to start from nothing.

AO is very poorly designed in many non – instanced areas, there is no room for any new people at all. It doesn’t take many people to fill some spots like nasc hecklers, s10 etc. 2-3 teams fill entire playfields leaving no room at all. I often find myself unable to do s10 other way than kill stealing other people because there are not enough mobs. Now imagine that some new players in fact join us and there are 100-200 people inside. Or 200 people are trying to level inside crippler cave in nasc, Mort borgs, hecks or whatever… 200 people trying to sign up for BS in those claustrophobic rooms… To fit any new players at all AO would require serious content rework for many playfields to make it work like ToTW and other areas do: with different instances made each time player limit is reached and BS room (aka sardine can) needs a complete rework. City shops require complete rework (like posted above); number of aviable cities and shops inside is very limited. What if 10.000 people join us (and each of em can have up to 8 shops)? There are not enough shops for em, even if org leaders clear those unused shops.

Before those things are ready we can clearly say that FC doesn’t even expect any new players to join us so this whole engine / balancing / incoming newcomers issue is a fairy tale.
    Last edited by Ciekafsky; Dec 14th, 2010 at 13:20:25.

this whole engine / balancing / incoming newcomers issue is a fairy tale.
    Nice to see there's one thing we can all agree on.

I say merging bs's woudl be enough! It would mean mor action and more fun which in turn wil mean more ppl willing to pay for the game. Which in turn will mean more ppl everywhere else.

Improve the game and get more players to AO...hang in there Mahdi!

Cities also arent a problem, its just time to make one simple change that should be here years ago: mail delivery system of items found in gms and introduce shops to instanced ones.
    Shop is not the only reason to have a city. It's not even the main reason.

The current population is down so far from what it was before (I'm talking from around the time that I first started playing, back in 2003) that it could grow enormously without causing problems for the servers. Just how many people are you expecting, and how many of them do you think will still be playing after a few months have passed and they discover that 1-160 are not any more tolerable just because hecklers and the Brink in general look a little better than they do now?

Quote Originally Posted by blingoutyourdead View Post
    Shop is not the only reason to have a city. It's not even the main reason.
    This is true, but shops is the main reason why a "classic" city is still better than an instanced one.
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast