Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cataclysm Launch

Cataclysm Launch

I know, I know

WoW is a taboo subject here on the forums. With any major expansion launch, you can expect a lot of hype around it. I had pre-ordered quite a few months ago when I was still playing WoW and i'll likely pick it up since I've already partially paid for it.

What I'm curious to find out is how many called in sick to work so that they could play their current addiction online
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

A guy near my cubicle at work didnt call sick, but took 1 week vacation for it...
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

5 of the 15 employees where I work play, THey all came into work, but were all pretty blurry eyed.

Trying to convert them, but they are tough nuts.
    "Yeah when I walk as a shadow through the valley of death I will be feared as evil!"

someone at my school started a new toon at midnight launch....and now has a lvl 83 worgen something ><. (classmate that plays too has a lvl 13... way more sane).He didn't show up for school.

I just don't get it how you can freak so much about something like that and be all lifeless :s.
    It's normal to show a little more intrest in a big game launch when you are studying to become a game dev, but just playing non stop and having no life anymore :s
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Not just that, but you would think someone would want to savor the experience, and soak in all the new content. Not just bull rush through it and not pay attention to what's going on, but I guess that is just my personal opinion on it.
    Guardian Haquihana
    Forums Team
    Community Relations Department
    Advisors Of Rubi-ka
    Forum Social Guidelines

the holier-than-thou attitude towards wow that most people here are taking is funny

but on topic of the xpac... yeah, i'm pretty sure if funcom released an expansion with content as well polished as cataclysm that you'd find AO players are much more prone to addictive behavior than perhaps you'd like to think...

i wanted to like wow, i tried, but they keep dangling the carrot in front of your face with no means of obtaining it. at least in anarchy you can grind for your carrots!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzoidbyrg View Post
    yeah, i'm pretty sure if funcom released an expansion with content as well polished as cataclysm that you'd find AO players are much more prone to addictive behavior than perhaps you'd like to think...
    But then AO would have to have probably more people working on it at all times than it ever did to begin with, which seems kinda unlikely.
    GO WITH MANY BLELBINEMS

GUESS WHO (IT STARTS WITH "SWORD" AND ENDS WITH "BREAKER")

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzoidbyrg View Post
    the holier-than-thou attitude towards wow that most people here are taking is funny

but on topic of the xpac... yeah, i'm pretty sure if funcom released an expansion with content as well polished as cataclysm that you'd find AO players are much more prone to addictive behavior than perhaps you'd like to think...

i wanted to like wow, i tried, but they keep dangling the carrot in front of your face with no means of obtaining it. at least in anarchy you can grind for your carrots!
    The major difference between WoW and AO is the player base. AO seems to cater to a more mature group of players that generally do not call in sick to get that last level to 220 or something along those lines.

Mind you, it's not that people WON'T do it, but it's not something you hear about as much. It might be because WoW's player base is so much larger than AO's that it appears more common but who knows.

Also, to quote something

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    someone at my school started a new toon at midnight launch....and now has a lvl 83 worgen something ><. (classmate that plays too has a lvl 13... way more sane).He didn't show up for school.

I just don't get it how you can freak so much about something like that and be all lifeless :s.
    It's normal to show a little more intrest in a big game launch when you are studying to become a game dev, but just playing non stop and having no life anymore :s
    You can change your race in WoW. It's possible that that person already had a level 80 and changed the race to a worgen. I don't know the starting level on the worgen but it's kinda difficult to get one that high in that short a time.
    Last edited by Regidoc; Dec 9th, 2010 at 01:00:28.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

mmm, that right side guy actually looked kinda like Means... lol...

On topic: No I didn't hear of anyone here calling in sick, but we're about 700 employees also, and not many I know of that playes.

About the worgen. Friend of mine started a worgen at midnight, and has played it for 1day+ (playtime) and is now level 60+, highest "true-born" worgen on his server atm.
    Former President of Unlimited High Society - We're recruiting 220/30/66 Eternalist Mardonge - Equip 220/25/70 Savior Bioth - Equip 220/22/64 Dictator Cratzi - Equip 220/22/58 Mogul Stressed 199/22/45 Don Riksmongo - Equip 194/19/52 Spetsnaz 176/18/42 Master 5th Dan Maofex - Equip 100/10/28 Biomare - Equip Foremans Twink ************************************************** Be vewy vewy quiet, Im hunting whinomen

I think the only time I called in sick to play a game was when I was really close to defeating Diablo for the first time. I think every time since then I used gaming to justify my calling in sick, rather than vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc View Post
    You can change your race in WoW. It's possible that that person already had a level 80 and changed the race to a worgen. I don't know the starting level on the worgen but it's kinda difficult to get one that high in that short a time.
    I don't believe they are allowing race change to Goblin or Worgen for now. They'll allow it later as far as I know.

iirc they already banned a few players for exploiting mechanics with cataclysm
    Freedom or death!

I'm the only one in my department at work who plays WoW, and I haven't even hit lvl 60 yet. So no, I didn't call in sick or take time off, nor did anyone else for all I know. Didn't preorder it either. Goes slow when you only ever log in every 14 days. The only other guy there who plays an online guy is in EVE. He had seen the "Anarchy Online Expert Leveling" video and did not understand that it was a joke
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

How is it though? I played WOW for 2ish years, starting 2 days before launch (during open beta). I got the first expansion and a while after I got tired of it.

I enjoyed the first year or so in WoW. Does this new version bring back the "fun" for those that used to play it some years ago? Should I try it again or would it just be a waste of time?

I don't play any MMO's atm so I'm semi-looking for something good.

But I'm not sure if I should try WoW now if it ends up feeling "used up" because I have played it to death before.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Cataclysm is getting me into WoW, if only because I loved Goblins in theRTS.

Did some arena in TBC (which I somewhat enjoyed), skipped Lich King entirely and I decided to skip this one as well even though all of my friends have gone zombie mode and seemingly disappeared from the face of the planet.

It looks fun though, even if it's same as always in a different wrapping.
    Biggest lie of the century

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    Make clan PvP zerg-bot is destroy pvp-action in AO.

Tnx!

fighting off the hordes of classmates trying to get me to resub for WoW... even some teachers are trying to convince me ><

those worgen do look nice (if not looking at the female worgen)...
    Freedom or death!

lets say this about wow: its like a late night fling; its empty, shallow, and meaningless, but theres always a small chance you'll meet somebody interesting that makes it all worth it.

if you go back to play it, keep in mind that its nothing but a shell of the game it once was, now designed for milking highest potential profit possible from their irreparably addicted customer base.

it throws shiny graphics at you, which have been wrapped around the same boring design elements that have been overused for more than 10 years now.

the worgen and all that mess, is just a gimmick to get you to come back.

if you do go to play wow, don't delude yourself into thinking the game has changed... it hasn't.. only the graphics. if you go to play it, you should go to play it for the community, which is about the only tangible positive thing wow has going for it, an active population.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast