Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 17th, 2010 - Incoming Holiday and Moving News

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    PSS. I know several engineers, even some software engineers, that, from what I can read from you, knows less about security than you do.. sad but true.. they know how to program, but not how vulnerable it is.

What is more sad is when they work on government projects, spending your and my money on something that is crap, and/or take wrong desiccations in the design phase costing millions later.
    People that -know- they are right.. sadly reality comes later to show they were not..
    Its like everything else in life, you make a judgement based on perceived risks.

In, what should be, a closed internal system, security is less of a concern, or there are other mitigating circumstances.

Regardless of what security you try to implement, there is always 1 weakness, users.

Either the user wants ease of use, or they want security, but generally they have to settle for the middle ground which can lead to vulnerabilities.

No system is perfect as long as there is something imperfect involved.

As you say, it all requires trust, and more so a knowledge of what you are trusting.

The only secure, safe machine is one in a locked room with no external connections, but then, what use is that to anyone?
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    Its like everything else in life, you make a judgement based on perceived risks.

In, what should be, a closed internal system, security is less of a concern, or there are other mitigating circumstances.

Regardless of what security you try to implement, there is always 1 weakness, users.

Either the user wants ease of use, or they want security, but generally they have to settle for the middle ground which can lead to vulnerabilities.

No system is perfect as long as there is something imperfect involved.

As you say, it all requires trust, and more so a knowledge of what you are trusting.

The only secure, safe machine is one in a locked room with no external connections, but then, what use is that to anyone?
    The middle ground means, I got an antivirus and a firewall, my systems are secure, and it's time to torrent! Oh yes, and did I mention I have a great opportunity for you. I am Dr. Adewole Aremu- a director with the Union Bank of Nigeria in Lagos - and I wish to speak to you most urgently about a matter regarding the sum of $39,000,000 US Dollars...

Oh and yeah, even the computer locked in the room isn't safe, using a high powered antenna, if there is any kind of power source, you can still manage to high-jack it. :P There was a much more intense analogy of throwing it in a big hole and burring it under 10 feet of concrete, but even then it was still insecure, I forget the circumstances though but even that is hackable.

Sad to say, if "something" is usable, then it IS hackable. (given enough time and money)

The only defense is to make the attack "not worth it".
    Last edited by Gridpain; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 17:00:06.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vurtuoso View Post
    The middle ground means, I got an antivirus and a firewall, my systems are secure, and it's time to torrent! Oh yes, and did I mention I have a great opportunity for you. I am Dr. Adewole Aremu- a director with the Union Bank of Nigeria in Lagos - and I wish to speak to you most urgently about a matter regarding the sum of $39,000,000 US Dollars...

Well, the first part does make it more secure against some things.

Nothing can protect against human fallibility, stupidity and even just moments of 'doh'.

If you read the Windows 2000 Common Criteria configuration guides, you can see all the "fun" things you need to do to lock machines down and make them hideously inconvenient for users.

But still, they dont combat stupidity.

Oh and yeah, even the computer locked in the room isn't safe, using a high powered antenna, if there is any kind of power source, you can still manage to high-jack it. :P There was a much more intense analogy of throwing it in a big hole and burring it under 10 feet of concrete, but even then it was still insecure, I forget the circumstances though but even that is hackable.
    Why would you care if you hacked it? because the machine is inaccessible and therefore useless, there wont be anything on it of significance.

And if there were information on there for even archival purposes, the machine would most likely be turned off until someone broke the security by entering the room to use it.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Just because they are behind a fortress, does not make them inaccessible. Botnet/Proxies/Other.

Just because they are behind a fortress, does not make them inaccessible. Botnet/Proxies/Other.
    True, but those things have always generally required a person to install them, either maliciously or by accident, but not always.

Any defence is only as good as its weakest point, and nothing is infallible.

Can make your system like a fortress and be a bit paranoid.

In the end, you have to pick up some spy somehwere, so...

Disable some not-needed services with your OS, set it up more securely and play AO only from your own personal computer. Don't roam too much on 3rd party sites, giving out emails etc, cause comcercials etc that advertise there can have stuff you don't want.

Same with other 3rd party stuff.

The lions, the tigers and bears oh my...
    Jungel! Welcome to teh jungel!

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Nokia 3310 ftw.
    Bring back the walkie-talkie!
    Last edited by Lletah; Jan 4th, 2011 at 12:54:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Lletah View Post
    Can make your system like a fortress and be a bit paranoid.

In the end, you have to pick up some spy somehwere, so...

Disable some not-needed services with your OS, set it up more securely and play AO only from your own personal computer. Don't roam too much on 3rd party sites, giving out emails etc, cause comcercials etc that advertise there can have stuff you don't want.

Same with other 3rd party stuff.
    Exactly, as long as you are sensible, dont take too many risks and know what youre doing, its generally ok.

These days, you can keep a lot of the "dangerous" stuff in a virtual machine, so keeping the risk right down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    Sad to say, if "something" is usable, then it IS hackable. (given enough time and money)
    I think someone just proved this in bor...
    "Enginot" Engineer lvl 184 Atlantean
    "Relodier" Enforcer lvl 146 Rimor

screenies or it didnt happen :O
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Krattonomic View Post
    screenies or it didnt happen :O
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...0&postcount=66
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    I see the gifts & trees are still showing on RK1, but no Christmas NPCs are showing up in RK1 Bor. Are they going to be respawned or did the hacker ruin it for anyone that did not already get all of their desired items for every toon on every account?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffen View Post
    Bump for this.

I was going to do these tonight now that I have some time after holiday insanity, and was able to pull one of them before the server went down.

Not only is the tour guide in Bor not there, the mission NPC in Avalon at the Hot Springs isn't either. I'm guessing they're all MIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffen View Post
    Hey Famine, any idea of Christmas items?
    Quote Originally Posted by Famine View Post
    As it's been a good amount of time since the downtime, it's also a good time to close the thread. Thank you again for your patience as we worked through the issues that cropped up tonight.
    Did someone forget to turn the Christmas NPCs back on after the "unexpected issues" removed them?

There was no official "heads up" announcement of when the Christmas NPCs would be removed. To do it under these circumstances is very poor customer support.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    To make it secure, break it, burn it and give the ashes to the cows to eat... shoot the cows, burn the bodies and feed the raccoons... guess you have an idea of what is coming for the raccoons .

Hey Omu, what's going on?
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

Quote Originally Posted by SSK View Post
    It was last good phone from Nokia
    IMO 3110 was the last good phone from nokia. Hard to find a tougher phone. Great buttons too. Only thing it lacked was the clock, otherwise i'd still use it today.

Quote Originally Posted by zorthengi View Post
    I think someone just proved this in bor...
    Someone has some explaining to do in the next FWM. :x

I hope Means gets into the gory details of the recent events in AO. This is a close second to the assassination in EVE a few years ago on the Drama Scale, don't leave us hanging, Man.
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lletah View Post
    Someone has some explaining to do in the next FWM. :x
    I don't think anyone has any explaining to do.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I don't think anyone has any explaining to do.
    Thats right. Sure.... it wasn´t really great what happened in Borealis but atleast everything that was going wrong there was... going wrong. No explanations needed at all.

An explanation wouldn´t change everything oder would make things better.

Some informations (like what really happened or how this hacker or whatever was doing something like this) shouldn´t be made public.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast