Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Any ETA on the new engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    I fully agree. Except noone ever vote and noone ever said that.
    you missed it and im too lazy to search a link ^^

Quote Originally Posted by raw_fox View Post
    you missed it and im too lazy to search a link ^^
    Only thing remotely close that I recall as a poll was this April 30, 2010 Friday with Means posting...

Means prefaced his 'poll question' by asking about what things should be worked on besides the Engne and rebalancing.

Is that what you're talking about? If not.. link please or it didn't happen. You said the majority of the playerbase took this poll and I don't recall it at all.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Only thing remotely close that I recall as a poll was this April 30, 2010 Friday with Means posting...

Means prefaced his 'poll question' by asking about what things should be worked on besides the Engne and rebalancing.

Is that what you're talking about? If not.. link please or it didn't happen. You said the majority of the playerbase took this poll and I don't recall it at all.
    There never was such a poll. And even if there were ppl wouldn't have voted for teh engine development to drag on this long.

I'd like to see some kind of progress with real footage of gameplay with the new engine at least.

Surely they can give us that if they've been working on this for about 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Manaas View Post
    Surely they can give us that if they've been working on this for about 2 years.
    3.5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Lektronik View Post
    3.5 years
    Technically not true, but it's long overdue non the less.
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Quote Originally Posted by Strupstad View Post
    Technically not true, but it's long overdue non the less.
    Wrong. They have been working on a new engine for 3.5 years, technically speaking.

even though they were working on Ogre engine for quite some time, they said when they switched to Dreamworld that alot of the work accomplished with Ogre was transferred into Dreamworld.... or am i imagining this?

3.5 years is how long we've been waiting, regardless of reasons for delay. when they switched to Dreamworld, the timer wasn't reset back to zero for players.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

There never was such a poll. And even if there were ppl wouldn't have voted for teh engine development to drag on this long.
    There wasnt but people vote every day. All those people you cant see anymore, empty lft and rk2 refugees moving over rk1 who dream about rk1 being any more playable than rk2 vote for NO. There is no need to make any polls, we have credit cards for that.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

AO Universe had a poll about that. http://www.ao-universe.com/viewtopic...ote=viewresult

But that's NOT an official poll from Funcom.
    John 'Novagen' Wright
    Currently on leave from Omni-Pol
    Omni-Tek Representative
    Chair of the Omni Organisational Committee

The Leet - Chat client for Android
    People of Rubi-Ka Revamped

Grid mail: novagen@omni-pol.net

At the Player gathering in Oslo last year (2010*) Means hoped to get it out Q1 2011.
    The delay at that time was explained to be that the Engine was being optimized for Conan(, basically ripped apart and put together again,) and their 2.1.x update refer to this http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=162930 for when that might happen in Conan. And when Conan had the final code for the optimized engine out the door it would then be integrated into AO.

Remember this was said back in September, and this is only what I remember being said at the time, so things might have changed.

DISCLAIMER: Want to point out that this is NOT an official answer from FC, ARK.

* - September 2010

Eponix yes i do remember that.

I think the community prob is due to lack of informations and progress statue.
    You can't say that AO will get a new engine when Conan's one is done. It's not all about develop a new engine on one game then put the plugin in AO server then pouf new bright game!
    There is some others steps like new world designing to fit the new DX instructions, new bestiary designing, new gear designing else it will be like playing Diablo 2 with actual graphical card, higher resolution but ugliest then before...
    We should be able to get some screenies, small vids showing the work in progress but we ain't getting anything...
    We are just worried.
    Last edited by Annasan; Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:37:15.

Quote Originally Posted by zajin View Post
    AO Universe had a poll about that. http://www.ao-universe.com/viewtopic...ote=viewresult

But that's NOT an official poll from Funcom.
    ah yeah, thats it

i couldnt remember where is it was, i was even unsure if it was offsite ..

yep thats the poll i meant
    thanks for diggin it out, zajin

Quote Originally Posted by Annasan View Post
    Eponix yes i do remember that.

I think the community prob is due to lack of informations and progress statue.
    You can't say that AO will get a new engine when Conan's one is done. It's not all about develop a new engine on one game then put the plugin in AO server then pouf new bright game!
    There is some others steps like new world designing to fit the new DX instructions, new bestiary designing, new gear designing else it will be like playing Diablo 2 with actual graphical card, higher resolution but ugliest then before...
    We should be able to get some screenies, small vids showing the work in progress but we ain't getting anything...
    We are just worried.
    Actually it's already running in AO, just that back then things were being changed constantly and things that worked in AO one day were broken in the next AoC-team update to the renderer.
    Work on new artwork is happening at the side, and yes it will be sort of like "playing Diablo 2 with better resolution". Some things will be upgraded, but not everything. Monsters won't be, for one. The next years of development will likely include an updated art asset once in a while, maybe we'll even see an upgraded monster at some point.

And we have seen such screenshots once in a while and we have seen videos. It's just not very interesting to see the same video again of a different place, is it?

As for the time it's taking, well 4 years is pretty standard for new games these days, and that's with teams of 75-100 or more people. We have 10-12 people working on upgrading AO to new tech, and that's at the same time as them having to make the regular maintenance and content updates. I'd say it's pretty fair.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I don't blame delays Masta, if you take a look at my posts, i allways defend FC.

I do am aware that we can't ask same productivity of a blizzard dev staff.

But i also understand people trying to get some news and no, a single "less than one min" video and 5 screenshots is not enough for many people.

Was more of a general response, not to you in general ^^

But of course, I was in Oslo and saw the thing running, so maybe it's easier for me to "believe" or whatever it is that people have trouble doing

Seems like the AoC forums or community is worth following in this respect, as the post linked by Eponyx talks about the current changes and such going on with the dreamworld tech that AO is going to use.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    But of course, I was in Oslo and saw the thing running, so maybe it's easier for me to "believe" or whatever it is that people have trouble doing
    Why on earth can't the rest of us see it as well?
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Was more of a general response, not to you in general ^^
    That's all very well. But my question remains: When?

If you lost most of your cable tv channels 80% of the time I believe you would quickly ask the service provider when it will be fixed, or upgraded so that it will work and you'd expect a response. Same thing here. I pay for a service that I'm not getting due to low population. I am not angry at anyone for this but I would like to know when this will be fixed so I can decide whether to leave and check in later, which means giving up precidency in org and all the things that may bring. Or if it's around the corner (as in 1-2 months away or so), then I could continue paying to help funding the development even though not much happens in game.

Either way, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect FC to at least have an idea about the release at this time. Just keeping quiet if it's not due for a long time is just dishonest. Long time members deserve better than that.
    Last edited by Noobius76; Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:44:11.

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Why on earth can't the rest of us see it as well?
    Because showing stuff with loads of weird bugs and heavily in development isn't really something you want to do, which was also why all filming was strictly prohibited while there. Basic marketing
    That's all very well. But my question remains: When?

If you lost most of your cable tv channels 80% of the time I believe you would quickly ask the service provider when it will be fixed, or upgraded so that it will work and you'd expect a response. Same thing here. I pay for a service that I'm not getting due to low population. I am not angry at anyone for this but I would like to know when this will be fixed so I can decide whether to leave and check in later, which means giving up precidency in org and all the things that may bring. Or if it's around the corner (as in 1-2 months away or so), then I could continue paying to help funding the development even though not much happens in game.

Either way, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect FC to at least have an idea about the release at this time. Just keeping quiet if it's not due for a long time is just dishonest. Long time members deserve better than that.
    It's probably perfectly reasonable of you to think that it's perfectly reasonable to expect such, except it's also perfectly reasonable of Funcom to not post anything about this or anything else about the game at all.
    Yes, we're all curious, but there's just nothing you can do but wait. If you want to quit, then that's your prerogative. You'll still be posting the same threads in 1 or 2 months time regardless of whether or not you get another "we hope Q1" post, like you've had several of already. And then if that imagined deadline is broken, you'll post more threads like this or similar "it's never coming" with legions of klod and nitr0 and that guy something666 posting how there's just yet another broken promise, even though no promise was ever made, and how everything is going to end etc.. While keeping quiet about it all means you only give people so much fuel for all their hate.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    At the Player gathering in Oslo last year (2010*) Means hoped to get it out Q1 2011...
    This thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...hlight=Q1+2011 states it as "With the increased scope of supporting both clients a Christmas launch is becoming less and less likely…but a Q1 2011 launch seems relatively certain."

Not saying you're wrong, just saying that I read "hoped" and "relatively certain" as two different concepts. Hoped means it would be great if it happened, but don't count on it. Relatively certain means it should happen barring some major catastrophe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast