Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Any ETA on the new engine?

Quote Originally Posted by raw_fox View Post
    ah yeah, thats it

i couldnt remember where is it was, i was even unsure if it was offsite ..

yep thats the poll i meant
    thanks for diggin it out, zajin
    Not to give you a hard time, but according to AO Universe's numbers.. 51 people voted in that poll. If you think that is the majority of the playerbase then your outlook on AO is way worse than mine

no offense.. just couldn't help but lol irl when I saw that and had to yank your chain a bit
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Why on earth can't the rest of us see it as well?
    I doubt it would make anyone bitch any less so really, I don't see the purpose of making the effort to do it. I would rather have FC just work on the thing than releasing rather stupid videos of people walking in grass. The point is that it exists, it's going to happen. It shouldn't prevent anyone from playing AO now.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Was more of a general response, not to you in general ^^

But of course, I was in Oslo and saw the thing running, so maybe it's easier for me to "believe" or whatever it is that people have trouble doing

Seems like the AoC forums or community is worth following in this respect, as the post linked by Eponyx talks about the current changes and such going on with the dreamworld tech that AO is going to use.
    I've never seen the post by Eponyx and don't follow the Age of Conan forums so a couple things posted in this thread is 'news' to me.

I've been playing this game awhile so I sorta know how things work and expectations are given and missed time and again.. what I find frustrating is that the way that information is handed out seems like an attempt to string people along.

I'll be honest... call me a freak if you wish but AO's graphics never bothered me.. that has nothing to do with why I have ever played the game. Funcom is the one that threw that 'news' out there.. and I confess it is an exciting concept for the engine to get an overhaul. Had they never mentioned it.. I wouldn't be on the forums pushing for a graphics overhauld is what I'm saying. I would be pushing for a new player start-up experience and I would probably be posting ideas for profession level changes and a few other things.

Right now this Engine seems to be the bottleneck for everything else and that's the ONLY reason why I care about its progress. The fact that we keep getting made up ETA's is ridiculous. It doesn't make sense that a company that's been around as long as Funcom misses the mark so much on this.

Just my rant I guess.. at the end of the day. lack of subscription is my 'vote' as someone else commented earlier.
    You can find me at:

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, just saying that I read "hoped" and "relatively certain" as two different concepts. Hoped means it would be great if it happened, but don't count on it. Relatively certain means it should happen barring some major catastrophe.
    This.

...and the whole 'moving to Canada' thing is just pushing back ETA's even more...
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

De-ja-vu

The evil de-ja-vu spirit speaks :

"The game was to license the existing Quake game engine. At id Software, the content portion of Quake had taken a nine-person team only six months. Romero had eight artists, and calculated that he could finish in seven. This schedule was called "patently ludicrous" by John Carmack. Put simply, Romero did not have an established, experienced team to rely on, as Ion Storm was still forming as a company, constantly adding new employees. Many were talented amateurs, hired on the basis of level designs they had created.

Ion Storm showed Daikatana at E3 in June 1997. The engine was still running in a software mode, and looked outdated and unimpressive. At the same time, id Software was debuting their Quake II game engine, featuring hardware acceleration and innovative visuals. Romero realized that they were falling behind technologically. The Christmas 1997 deadline was quietly dropped, and the new plan was to keep creating the content for the game, and switch to the Quake II engine as soon as it was ready. The game was rescheduled for a March 1998 release.

The Daikatana team received the source to the Quake II engine in November 1997, and immediately realized that the switch would not be simple. The code was completely different from the original Quake engine, and would require throwing away eleven months of work for a complete rewrite."
    (taken From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : Daikatana)

and the rest is history.
    Im really starting feel Daikatanas spirit in here.

It's probably perfectly reasonable of you to think that it's perfectly reasonable to expect such, except it's also perfectly reasonable of Funcom to not post anything about this or anything else about the game at all.
    I agree that it makes perfect sense for them. But only if they are so far away from an actual release that they still can't make a decent estimation even now, over 3 years after the announcement was made.

Yes, we're all curious, but there's just nothing you can do but wait. If you want to quit, then that's your prerogative. You'll still be posting the same threads in 1 or 2 months time regardless of whether or not you get another "we ???e Q1" post, like you've had several of already. And then if that imagined deadline is broken, you'll post more threads like this or similar "it's never coming" with legions of klod and nitr0 and that guy something666 posting how there's just yet another broken promise, even though no promise was ever made, and how everything is going to end etc.. While keeping quiet about it all means you only give people so much fuel for all their hate.
    I asked if they have a better ETA so that I can determine whether I should stay IG or cancel and come back later. It's a very simple question.

Do you know the answer? If not stop blabbering and get out of my thread.
    Last edited by Noobius76; Jan 10th, 2011 at 21:00:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I'll be honest... call me a freak if you wish but AO's graphics never bothered me.. that has nothing to do with why I have ever played the game. Funcom is the one that threw that 'news' out there.. and I confess it is an exciting concept for the engine to get an overhaul. Had they never mentioned it.. I wouldn't be on the forums pushing for a graphics overhauld is what I'm saying. I would be pushing for a new player start-up experience and I would probably be posting ideas for profession level changes and a few other things.

Right now this Engine seems to be the bottleneck for everything else and that's the ONLY reason why I care about its progress. The fact that we keep getting made up ETA's is ridiculous. It doesn't make sense that a company that's been around as long as Funcom misses the mark so much on this.
    This. For all those that counter the honest questions about the new engine progress with, "It won't bring in new players." or, "FC has only been working on this engine for a year.", neither of those is the point. The point is, 1) FC announced development of a new engine over three years ago. The fact that they scrapped that work at one point so that they could move it to a new, new engine is certainly a reason to extend any deadlines they set before that. It should not change any deadlines they set after that. Means stated in one of his FWM posts that a Q1, 2011 launch was a virtual certainty. If that's the case, many of us would expect to see something other than heads and a couple of 8 second videos. I realize that those people that got to go to FC HQ last year saw more, but that just leaves the rest of us in the dark. And 2) most of the people that are asking the question about when we can realistically expect the new engine are not doing so because they are waiting for a massive flood of new players to come in. It's because they feel that there's a lot of stuff that is dependant on the new engine. The Mentor Program, the new starter experience, new content, profession re-balancing, etc. It would be unreasonable for us to expect FC to meet deadlines that we create out of thin air. It is not unreasonable to expect FC to meet deadlines that they themselves have set.

And as stated here, the only reason this discussion is taking place at all is because FC announced it on the forums in the first place. We might be complaining about dated graphics at this point if they didn't, but without anywhere near the vehemence of the current discussion regarding a promised, and much anticipated, update to the graphics engine that is continually being postponed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Not to give you a hard time, but according to AO Universe's numbers.. 51 people voted in that poll. If you think that is the majority of the playerbase then your outlook on AO is way worse than mine
    lol ya as i saw the numbers i also thought ".. wtf, majority..?!" but i could only remember the highest potion on that answer ^^

no, the base is at least 52 ppl :P

So.. after nearly 2 days, edits by fc staff, and a 3-page big list of replies: Still no official answer.
    This says enough...really.

- So many delay
    - 4 years of developing (almost)
    - The moving to Canada was no spur-of-the-moment thing. This must have been known for a while that you were moving to the other side of the ocean.
    - The last year, or 2 years. The engine was on it's final "tweaks". You might want to look-up what a tweak is. Because "final tweaks" do not take this long.
    - Same goes for the balance, it takes very long. and there is nothing we can test out as players on TESTlive to TEST and give Proper feedback of the changes.

I'm not caring about it's graphics, i do care about the fact that:
    - Everyone who sees this game for the first time, will quit because of the looks.
    - Many people have stopped playing because of this, and there are no new players in return.
    - A lot of people have 'paused' playing until engine and balance are done, these people will forget about this game after a while.
    - I have not many people to team with, or pvp with. The playerbase is deserting.

If nothing happens soon, i'm out as well.
    When Massively.com is doing an article on us, i see happening that still nothing has changed.
    And everyone who then tries the game to see it's still the same..will quit and never come back.
    Last edited by Xatgunner; Jan 10th, 2011 at 22:15:31.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

I've never seen the post by Eponyx and don't follow the Age of Conan forums so a couple things posted in this thread is 'news' to me.

I've been playing this game awhile so I sorta know how things work and expectations are given and missed time and again.. what I find frustrating is that the way that information is handed out seems like an attempt to string people along.

Just my rant I guess.. at the end of the day. lack of subscription is my 'vote' as someone else commented earlier.
    You've never seen the post by Eponyx that was JUST ABOVE MINE. OK, great.

Also, new engine to me is just eyecandy. I'm perfectly happy with current one, really. It would be nice to have better graphics, sure, and I see the marketing potential in it and that's really why it matters, not whether or not we who already play like it.

But apparently it's all or nothing for some people

As for missing the mark, then the mark we've been given is Q1 2011, and that's the next 3 months. That's a long time for something that's apparently almost completed.
    And as far as I can tell it's not holding anything back. Those other things are being worked on in unison, and take time themselves.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jan 10th, 2011 at 23:41:37.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I doubt it would make anyone bitch any less so really, I don't see the purpose of making the effort to do it. I would rather have FC just work on the thing than releasing rather stupid videos of people walking in grass. The point is that it exists, it's going to happen. It shouldn't prevent anyone from playing AO now.
    I don't really care though, just saying. It WOULDN'T hurt either.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

You've never seen the post by Eponyx that was JUST ABOVE MINE. OK, great.
    Seriously.. are you kidding? excuse my grammatical error.. "I'd never seen the post by Eponyx prior to this thread" is what my post should have read and what most reasonable people would've understood me to mean based on me saying that those things were 'news' to me.

As for missing the mark, then the mark we've been given is Q1 2011, and that's the next 3 months. That's a long time for something that's apparently almost completed.
    hmm.. ok.. so Q1 2011 is the first expectation funcom has put out regarding the release of the engine.. per your recollection? If I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong but the last expectation I recall being given, prior to the Q1 2011, was at an in-game conversation with Means at The Grind (he said the engine would be done by end of year 2010).. I posted the transcript of that conversation on Life on Rimor. Are you saying I made that up or what? And I know that isn't the first expectation given to us.. just one of the more recent.

Here's a couple things (full transcript at http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=572668)

Conversation took place in-game on April 2, 2010

(14:14) Cromage: Teh ultimate question: Can we expect the new engine this year?
    (14:14) Means: Cromage: Yes

(14:20) Jantunen: btw, when this "big balancing patch" is going to be released?
    (14:21) Means: Jantunen: this year. We need to get the current update out...then we can really focus on the changes and their testing
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jan 11th, 2011 at 00:11:44.
    You can find me at:

Wrong.
    It was said that the engine would definitely be out in 2010. Later, as we all know, this changed to Q1 '11. I'm just waiting for them to say "oops, did we say Q1? we meant fiscal year Q1 '11"... Who's with me?!
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Right now this Engine seems to be the bottleneck for everything else and that's the ONLY reason why I care about its progress.

^--------This.

The graphic's engine wont change the game, and it wont keep new players. When the new players come back and see that the only way to level is in a kite team @ 5-10m per level... and a full set of armor costs 500m+ and a weapon costs 200m+ and symbs costs 100m+ and lets not forget about the hard asss quests which require you to have a 220 alt just to walk you through them...... they will just leave and go back to WoW.

WTB rebalance patch and possibly a revamp for Notum Wars since its pretty one sided atm and shouldn't be that way... UNTIL the stupid graphics engine patch comes.... we won't see any of the gameplay changing/enhancing/adjusting/improving patches come to light.
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

^ in before a wall of text by mastablasta, explaining that different people are working on different sides of AO. amirite?!
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Seriously.. are you kidding? excuse my grammatical error.. "I'd never seen the post by Eponyx prior to this thread" is what my post should have read and what most reasonable people would've understood me to mean based on me saying that those things were 'news' to me.

hmm.. ok.. so Q1 2011 is the first expectation funcom has put out regarding the release of the engine.. per your recollection? If I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong but the last expectation I recall being given, prior to the Q1 2011, was at an in-game conversation with Means at The Grind (he said the engine would be done by end of year 2010).. I posted the transcript of that conversation on Life on Rimor. Are you saying I made that up or what? And I know that isn't the first expectation given to us.. just one of the more recent. g
    Actually I'm not, since that post by Eponyx is in this thread, for the first time ever, linking the news about the engine posted by someone else, so how could I think that it was anything but that? I don't get it.

No, there were some "hopes" and various other "maybes", the one definite official report posted in a FWM was Q1 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaloot View Post
    ^--------This.

The graphic's engine wont change the game, and it wont keep new players. When the new players come back and see that the only way to level is in a kite team @ 5-10m per level... and a full set of armor costs 500m+ and a weapon costs 200m+ and symbs costs 100m+ and lets not forget about the hard asss quests which require you to have a 220 alt just to walk you through them...... they will just leave and go back to WoW.

WTB rebalance patch and possibly a revamp for Notum Wars since its pretty one sided atm and shouldn't be that way... UNTIL the stupid graphics engine patch comes.... we won't see any of the gameplay changing/enhancing/adjusting/improving patches come to light.
    Strangely enough I find it possible to level without doing any of those things, and that armor, weapons and symbiants that aren't 500 million work just fine untill you can manage the tiny upgrade to the better things.

And no, rebalance will come before engine if it's ready. So there.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Only thing the new render engine is bottlenocking is a marketing campaign.

The Rebalancing Act has to be in place before that happends, otherwise it is just a new NGE waiting to happend.

New Player Experience also has to be fully implemented (and tested) before making the big splash with the engine. Besides the understanding I got at the Q&A in September was the NPE to be considerably less than "a total revamp of noob island". It was something like a 5-step programme along the lines of: How to... A) attack a target B) heal yourself C) upload a nano etc.

Most of the other stuff is mainly pipedreams from the community that can't seem to wrap their head around that "game engine" and "render engine" are not the same thing.

...and Hvy, nice to see that we from within the space of this thread we have gone from "relative certainty" to "virtual certainty".

Yes, all this is taking disappointingly longer than any of us expected or hoped for, but there is nothing to be done about it other than to suck it up (or make one repetitive forum post full of entitlement issues after another ofc).
    Last edited by Myreyliib; Jan 11th, 2011 at 10:48:26.

(14:14) Cromage: Teh ultimate question: Can we expect the new engine this year?
    (14:14) Means: Cromage: Yes
    I bet we will spend most or all 2011 to expect it ... probably a chunk of 2012 (before the end of the world happens )
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Why on earth can't the rest of us see it as well?
    A fair question.

With upgrades being done to the Dreamworld engine, it is a bit like painting a house, while the carpenters and electricians are still working on the walls. So some features may still be dropped in the final version and they don't want to commit to any such features?

Perhaps FC decided to keep actual footage under wraps in order to make a bigger splash when the time comes? Strange and unlikely, but possible.

Personally, I think it is, because it actually didn't look mindblowingly awesome. It did have quite a few neat things in it, but will you notice them after playing for 20 min or when not comparing directly to the old rendering?
    The unrecorded impressions of some willing to travel to an AO event and the unrelenting judgement of the potential customers on the internet are two very different things to manage.

EDIT: I am not privy to their motives, but I recall one paradigm of corporate crisis managment: "Never lie, but don't be to forward with the truth either" (sorry, not the best translation). While this technically ain't a corporate crisis I think some of FC's communating strategy on this subject adhers to this paradigm.
    Meaning, there are reasons, but FC has evaluated it to be in their best interest not to tell them.
    Last edited by Myreyliib; Jan 11th, 2011 at 11:37:29.

New ground textures and a few new buildings will make things look nicer, but really it's just AO in "HD", there's a few better effects here and there, but it's not like it'll be all new or superduper fantastic. Just look slightly better. I don't really see what the HUGE deal is about it and why it's the be all and end all for some people to play it. I can understand that playing Doom or Duke3D today is meh without using a modern rendering port, but AO?
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast