Thread: Question for developers

Question for developers

Not really 18.4 related but I really don't know where to put it, since it's a question I don't think it belongs in the Game Suggestion forums.

I think there has been talks about adding so that players can have more characters on each dimension, when DNW went down I had to leave a couple of characters behind, because I have no room on either RK1 or 2. I had to delete a 160ish crat on RK1 with ICRT and IRT for my DNW crat that also had said nanos.

I'm an alt whore, I love making new projects and I don't have any more room on either RK1 or 2, so I'm left with having to delete characters that I have already spent a lot of time on. I currently have four accounts that are paid (yes four!), but I can really only afford to keep two of them active at a given time, I have moved some characters from those 2 inactive accounts to my active accounts (at the loss of having to delete even more characters).

So my question would be, how hard would it be for the development team to increase the amount of characters a player can have on their account? I doubt the loss of subscribed accounts would go down by a lot considering that AO is best played dual logged, I know I'm not the only one who loves making new alts, and at times that's what I enjoy the most in AO.

Notice that the question isn't "are you going to?" or "can it be done?", it's purely related to how much time and how hard it would be for the development team to increase the amount. I also fully understand that all work time is spent on the engine, rebalance and fixing stuff that needs to be fixed.

I hope I get an answer :P
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Even if it would only be 5 minutes of dev time, they would not implement it. And given that this game has to make that company funds I would agree with that desicion.
    /me ducks
    Ifyouseeany "Phixels" Thatsme
    phixels.blogspot - phixels(at)gmail.com

Since AoC already have it and it shares account system with AO, that shouldnt restrict it. It's probably coming soon, so they can make people use more FcP

Funcom employee

Sadly this is more of a back-end/database thing than to do with the account system, and while it's something we would love to be able to offer it's also one of those things that's made Macrosun give me and Means very nasty looks and general grumbles of displeasure. >< I won't say that we'll *never* get the functionality to allow more character slots per account, but at the moment it unfortunately isn't something that we can add in easily.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Sadly this is more of a back-end/database thing than to do with the account system, and while it's something we would love to be able to offer it's also one of those things that's made Macrosun give me and Means very nasty looks and general grumbles of displeasure. >< I won't say that we'll *never* get the functionality to allow more character slots per account, but at the moment it unfortunately isn't something that we can add in easily.
    Thanks for the answer, then I can continue on hoping for it to be added
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

If it's a back-end/database thing, does that mean that the correlation of alts to an account is not normalized at all? Ie, there's a single table that relates the account_name to alt1, alt2, alt3, etc in a single record instead of having a normalized table where each alt is a separate record in that table?

/curious
    Proud Member of Paradise

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Bonghigs View Post
    If it's a back-end/database thing, does that mean that the correlation of alts to an account is not normalized at all? Ie, there's a single table that relates the account_name to alt1, alt2, alt3, etc in a single record instead of having a normalized table where each alt is a separate record in that table?

/curious
    hahahahahaha heck if I know. XD I'm just repeatin' what Macrosun has told us when we've brought it up. Anything more technical than the word "database" tends to sail over my head. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    hahahahahaha heck if I know. XD I'm just repeatin' what Macrosun has told us when we've brought it up. Anything more technical than the word "database" tends to sail over my head. ;P
    Im sure thats for you own good, and that most of the words involve cursing and swearing under his breath.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Oh, it would be sooooo cool to have a bit more insight into the archaic architecture of AO. I have been working on the server side part of an mmo myself (private project), and my data model has been greatly influenced by what i learned from AO. Well, the used techniques surely will differ (my server is based on MySQL's own server side dialect ) but some solutions may be interessting.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~