Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - Feb. 11th, 2011: Brrr

Funcom employee Friday with(out) Means - Feb. 11th, 2011: Brrr

Heyhey! Been a while, I know, and I'm not gonna try to drown everybody in a wall of text this week, but I hope everyone out there is doin' good. Things here in Montreal are... well, honestly, they're really, really, REALLY cold - People here warned me before we moved over that it was colder than Oslo, but it's kinda hard to believe until you actually step out into that nice -28C/-18.5F (with windchill) weather. I swear there's also been more snow here in the last two weeks than we had all winter in Oslo this year - Aythem dragged me out on Weds. this week to get some gloves and a hat, though, so hopefully I can avoid turning into a popsicle while waiting for Spring to roll around. On the plus side there's so much awesome food here that I feel like I'm going to eat myself into a coma - The sheer delight I experienced at getting to eat Mexican food again apparently simultaneously amused and terrified several of my coworkers, so to say that I'm happy over the restaurant situation here in Montreal would be a vast understatement. XD

Here in the office things are a bit slow at the moment due to some issues we've been having getting our internal tools up and running - With a game as old as Anarchy Online, our build/development machines are a bit... finicky, meaning that getting stuff transferred over to work with us here in Montreal has been a wee bit difficult. Macrosun is hard at work with our Operations team on getting things in a workable state, though, and there's been good progress from what I know (i've overheard him talking to the operations guys but that sorta stuff just goes right over my head - they sounded kinda happy last time they were spouting technobabble at each other, though, so i take that as a sign of progress), hopefully it won't be long before we're back up to full working capacity.

This isn't to say the team's been idle, however: I myself have been working on the Nano-Technician nano document (as well as working with Tarib, Famine, and Waldgeist on some very, very exciting behind-the-scenes community stuff; keep your eyes peeled for more on that in the near future), and Lindelu is putting together documentation regarding a revamp of the Shadowlands key/garden questlines, cleaning up a lot of the older bugs/issues with the questlines, making them more friendly in general, and allowing us to go through and bring the dialog/storyline more up-to-date with the current gameworld. I'm really looking forward to getting access to the tools back myself, so I can continue work on a still-secret little update I was cobbling together before we left Oslo; hopefully you guys will end up enjoying what me and Means have been working on there once we're able to talk about it a bit more.

Meanwhile, Genele's sent the first-run draft of the Adventurer nano changes off to the Professionals this week for feedback - We're actually going to try and get this one pushed out for you guys early next week (rather than waiting for next Friday's FwM post) so keep your eyes peeled on the Balance Discussion forums come next Tuesday or Weds. This document features some of the largest changes we've released so far, and I personally feel like a lot of the work we've done make Adventurers a much more entertaining, challenging, and interesting profession to play in the long run. Definitely going to be a lot to discuss either way, so keep watch next week and get ready to offer your feedback on the planned new designs and directions for Adventurers. =)

Otherwise not too much more to discuss from up here at the moment - We're all keeping busy, but it's a lot of documentation, coding, and in general getting behind-the-scenes stuff taken care of while we have a bit of time to breathe. One REALLY cool thing I want to share with you guys, though, are a few new textures we're going to be sneaking into the game soon! Following in the same footsteps as Docaholic, GSP DJ and texture artist extraordinaire sezmra/DJ Lauri (who is actually visiting us here in Montreal this week) has recently volunteered her talents to help out the AO team with going through and polishing up a lot of the older armour/clothing textures from Anarchy Online - Her work so far has been absolutely stellar, so we figured we'd drop you guys a few tastes of stuff to come. In the images below you can see side-by-side comparisons of the Living Cyber Armour set, the white Omni-Pol Armour, the Secundus Decus Armour set, and the Enforcer Tier One/Omni Tier set. Really, really amazing work from sez, and we're very thankful to have her help in getting these revamped textures put together for you guys. Once we have a nice bundle of 'em put together we'll start shipping the new textures out to live dimensions in an upcoming update, so stay tuned to see the new hotness available in-game. =D

And that's about it for now. Everyone on the team sends their regards (and before the conspiracy theorists start up Means is doing just fine - Just figured I'd take over for a change to break it up a bit) and we hope you enjoy the new hotness from sez. Take care guys!

~~Kintaii

PS: The attached images are animated gifs that first display the old textures, then the new. So if you're not exactly sure what's changed give it a few seconds. =D
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

first

First post in FWK owns FWM!

^_^

Toronto isn't much warmer.
    Last edited by Notumlord; Feb 11th, 2011 at 16:14:17.

In before others.

its cold here too!
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

6th lolololol im a mp.

Edit: Takes forever to view the photos..
    Last edited by Oliveerz; Feb 11th, 2011 at 16:21:57.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

!54894645
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

First page!

(now to read wall of text...)

Enfo tier looks more like Collosus from X-Men. Me likes.

Oh yeah, 10th or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

1st page!
    Xarr 220/30/70 Atrox Keeper
    Xarrdas 220/30/70 Solitus Engineer
    Wrathwithin 220/26/70 Atrox Agent
    Drimarcus 220/22/60 Opifex Shade
    Mycurse 214/18/42 Solitus Soldier
    Backend 150/20/40 Opifex MA
    Leethium 200/20/60 Opifex Bureaucrat

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I'm not gonna try to drown everybody in a wall of text this week
    Kintaii, you failed miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    This document features some of the largest changes we've released so far, and I personally feel like a lot of the work we've done make Adventurers a much more entertaining, challenging, and interesting profession to play in the long run.
    I'm excited for the advy nanos (obviously, if you look at my sig), good policy on bringing those out early next week. Perhaps you should make a habit of not waiting until Friday so you can churn through the rest of the docs and maybe get the balance out that little bit sooner? (:

Redone SL questlines sounds good to me as well. Are quests such as Scheol and Ado brain still going to be as lengthy and ridiculously difficult? I hope the edge is taken off so TL7 help is no longer required though the lower shadowzones.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing some of these new textures sneak into the game in the near future. They are SO much sharper, good job Lauri / anyone else! (shame nobody really uses any of these though, but I'm sure there're more retextured armours yet to show)

Oh, inb4 vapourware jokes.

--Argo.
    Last edited by Argotach; Feb 11th, 2011 at 16:37:29.
    Tacharnan - 220/27/70 neut Advy, NEPA [s]
    Argo - 210/23 neut Fixer, NEPA
    Argottus - 183 omni Fixer (froob)
    DrZhivargo - 153/11 neut Doc, NEPA
    Tacharkeep - 150/9 omni Kipper
    Argoleech - 106 omni Tarder (froob)
    Argomp - 73 neut MP (froob), NEPA
    Tachargo - 55/6/14 neut Fixer, NEPA

RK2 | TLFivePlus | Omneut

Any updates on a patch (or an official confirmation) to fix the crashing on logout that has been happening for many since November?
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Feb 11th, 2011 at 16:25:05.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Some number
    Sleincour 220/30/70 Opifex Martial Artist
    Patientis 220/28 Solitus Doctor
    Ingha 220/30 Solitus Bureaucrat
    Zizzla 150/20 Opifex Martial Artist
    Grobian 142/12 Atrox Enforcer
    Svengoran 127/15 Atrox Soldier
    Illxlll 102/10 Nanomage Nanotechnician
    Psicharpax 100/6 Nanomage Metaphysicist
    Sleina 100/7 Opifex Fixer

Veteran of the Scandinavian RK1 clan guild ..:Nordic Alliance:..

Funcom employee

German translation of the FWM from Waldgeist can be found here.

SL key quests revamp?!!! Adventurers supernerfed nano doc \o/ NT nano doc being made.

So MP? When? WHEN?!!!

Edit: WAIT! First page? Zomg
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Textures look awesome
    Vetus
    Mikrometa

Funcom employee

No sympathy on the "It's cold!" part! I *told* you several months ago! :P

Awesome, awesome texture updates by sezmra!
    ~ Aythem ~

- Become an AO tester!

Quote Originally Posted by Vetusleet View Post
    Textures look awesome
    Yuz. I guess they will patch the Clan Tier3 texture as well. OMG Time to farm the pieces >.>
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

first page.

Holding breath for the adve changes, its been odd to see almost all the other profs get a little this and that, and with that announcement...well gonna see if I am still loving my first and only!
    "Death is as big a part of life, as life it self".
    First wizard, Sword of Truth.

Macdk TL7 Equip
    Baraccus TL7
    Equip
    Raugmoss TL7
    Equip
    Maczilla TL5
    Equip
    Maczol TL4
    Equip

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast