Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - Feb. 11th, 2011: Brrr

So you are opening up for the community to volunteer work to you, a slippery slope, if you ever catch someone ysing other people's copyrighted work/textures..

Good for the economy, having people working for free, and good as encouragement for those hobby-projects though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aythem View Post
    No sympathy on the "It's cold!" part! I *told* you several months ago! :P

Awesome, awesome texture updates by sezmra!
    You are missed

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubberyman View Post
    (though given what we know of perks so far, nano would need some really hard nerfing to even come close to satisfy the advie haters crowd...)
    Just for the record, perks *will* be going through another round of adjustments, and a fairly massive one at that. We nailed down some of the general design principals we wanna follow when going through perks the first time, and I think in a lot of areas we're headed in the right directions, but as we've gone through the specific profession rebalancing aspects we've realized that we're going to have to put 'em under the magnifying glass again for some larger changes based off our evolving plans for the rebalancing efforts.

So don't freak out too much based off of existing perk knowledge - That's all still gonna change.

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    So you are opening up for the community to volunteer work to you, a slippery slope, if you ever catch someone ysing other people's copyrighted work/textures..

Good for the economy, having people working for free, and good as encouragement for those hobby-projects though.
    Anyone offering volunteer assistance for AO (and i should note that using volunteers for this sort of thing is nothing new - we've had an ARK 'media' team since the volunteer program got started, and have implemented textures from them in the game and for other official uses) has to sign a waiver, a non-disclosure form, and several other pieces of paperwork stating that they are using their own resources and so on. We also go through personal checks and balances when reviewing any such work, up to and potentially including checking source work, requesting source files, and the like. We like ensuring that we keep ourselves in the clear legally.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post

You are missed

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    That's what contracts and other legal stuff are for

Though, it's not like they're taking just anyone's work.

I believe it to be an absolutely great thing.
    It really shows the dedication of AO's community and FC's willingness to work with them.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Feb 11th, 2011 at 21:53:07.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Just for the record, perks *will* be going through another round of adjustments, and a fairly massive one at that. We nailed down some of the general design principals we wanna follow when going through perks the first time, and I think in a lot of areas we're headed in the right directions, but as we've gone through the specific profession rebalancing aspects we've realized that we're going to have to put 'em under the magnifying glass again for some larger changes based off our evolving plans for the rebalancing efforts.
    "...and then after we re-adjust perks, we'll have to go back and re-adjust all the nanos again...and then after we re-adjust the nanos again, we'll have to go back and re-re-adjust all the perks again...and...well you can assume where this is going."

The rebalancing that will never end, and never go live...just like the new engine. Sorry, I've been mostly silent for awhile now, but clearly it's time for me to give up all hope and move on.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0 View Post
    is it me, or is it IF anything is improved gfx wise it's done by people volunteering?

maybe that's why gfx engine never comes, everytime someone wants to do it for free and then get's a job and doesn't have the time for it anymore... aso...

looks like a long time since FC actually paid people working on AO or doing support for it =)
    (not blaming the 2 that are actually payed that are left coding, they can't do better with no resources)
    3 content designers, 2 artists, 2 programmers, and a game director + other FC people + community volunteers to start the list. Tehehe poop and farts

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    "...and then after we re-adjust perks, we'll have to go back and re-adjust all the nanos again...and then after we re-adjust the nanos again, we'll have to go back and re-re-adjust all the perks again...and...well you can assume where this is going."

The rebalancing that will never end, and never go live...just like the new engine. Sorry, I've been mostly silent for awhile now, but clearly it's time for me to give up all hope and move on.
    Not in the slightest. I mean, we've said from the beginning that this is going to *have* to be an iterative process, just due to the nature of its undertaking - We're changing so *much*, so many things, that to sit here and say "no no, we're going to get it all right on the very first try!" would... well, frankly, it'd just be stupid. Of course things are going to have to get changed and altered; its the same reason why there have been updates to the nanodocuments as we've gone forward and released stuff for other professions (we even did some slight ninja updates to some of the nano docs last week - you can see 'em in balance discussion). We have a lot of work to do, but every bit of work we put forward gets us that much closer to our goal, even if we do have to go back and make further changes to stuff we've already released. It's all about the polish. =)

Quote Originally Posted by cube View Post
    3 content designers
    Four. ;P Me, Genele, Lindelu and Metaing. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

You're back! Now update your siggy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Yes, goodbye.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    You're back! Now update your siggy again.
    Nope, I'm leaving. Won't do me much good to change my sig back when I won't be making new posts for it to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Yes, goodbye.
    Bye Mastafanboy! Keep delusionally believing this game can afford to continue losing players!
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Funcom employee

Quit it, both of you. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

U will miss a real good pizza there tho
    But i herd bagels almost good there hehe
    Last edited by Valerija666; Feb 11th, 2011 at 23:41:03. Reason: typo

awwww *stashes the wrestling oil away again*
    This is my signature. Gaze upon its awesomeness and weep because yours can never be this awesome.

As for Doca icons, gg to Sez for new textures.

But we await more from dev team on new engine & very soon !
    Rebalance is a background task work as it must be done over time & can be submitted to reactions in between.

Whereas new engine is a definite moment patching that was promised for so long it can't be delayed anymore.
    I include myself among these that invested time in noticing geometry &/or quest issues (bugsy/floaty/testlive), so i feel legitimate to expect the simple respect of "2011 Q1" deadline.
    Last edited by bitnykk; Feb 11th, 2011 at 23:51:55.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

damn i was planing to go to egypt this summer with my 6 year old son, maybe canada hunting and fishing instead, atleast nature there aint looted and broken yet. so a bit for me to think of btw he just started playing ao also and loves it hehe

Any word on further adjustments of the trader docs? I think I remember hearing that those were a first draft and would likely be subject to more changes.

And the nice shiny new armor looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Four. ;P Me, Genele, Lindelu and Metaing. =)
    Muahahahaha I'm the 'Fifth Element' on the content designer team.. I am the supreme content designer, Muahahahaha. I let them think I do not exist, because I know I have the real power, Muahahahahaha. I have no ego to bruise, I am my own reward for making content Muahahahaha.

Erm, and... I was not here.

--Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Lol
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by -yeny- View Post
    thats good to hear. but why the hell does funcom need volunteers to get things done? thaught you have skilled ppl that also got the knowledge to work on textures. ohh better forgot that sentence... when did we got any new textures in the past...must have been years ago...

why dont you post pictures from the team working on the engine? maybe some in-work-pics where they are working on their computers on it. discussing things. show us some pics from the rendering, etc. that´s what ppl wanna see. not pics of a new garrage-look-and-feel-office or anything else. thx.
    I think most vets know who I am, and I will give my word on this. There has been reworked, updated and new textures in the past year. Now, there won't be listed in any patch notes or previews (with a few exceptions).

There were sneaked in, slowly and as for the reason... it's obvious, but I'm not in a position to discuss that.

As for freelance/volunteer work being used for game content, that has been going on for as long as I can remember, but few people know about it due to NDA's (non disclosure agreement) and those great people do it out of the love for the game rather than recognition. Appreciate it and be grateful or move on.

Colin will post when things are ready to be shown, plain and simple. AO Universe will get an exclusive video when its given to us as promised.

The engine, exists, work is being done, it's not vaporware or figment of any Dev's imagination. It's there, it's been even seen by a few lucky players in person. Also FC Marketing is involved (I hold no love for them to be honest) and they are likely to be a wall to climb over before making any sort of official release of new engine screenshots, videos, previews, etc. They can't stop Colin from doing whatever he feels like it, but bottom line is that you don't piss off a part of a company you work for even if you are the Game Director.

Now, about the images on this FWoM.... now my 220 Enfo (Titan) will look even better in his T1 Social set, on the other hand.... now every freaking enfo will want that look and it will pretty much take away from the unique look of my toon, grrrr!

Still, sweet to see good work.
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Feb 12th, 2011 at 06:32:53.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

It's great you guys are getting settled in Montreal nicely!

Anyways, I'd like to get my pessimism out of the way. No one wears Secundus armor. Like, if you wanted to redo armors that badly, redo the uh carbonum/cas/miys armors

Also, any word on the new engine? How about keeper's clarion call?

Looking forward to the next FWM as always!

I really like the Decus armor. Nice work!
    Point Blank

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast