Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - Feb. 11th, 2011: Brrr

No it isn't. You give me the thread URL and I'll check the editing records.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

idk what URL/thread it was. but for example my thread in tech forums was deleted where i asked for hardware advise for the new engine and i only asked what hardware i could get for games with ~1000€ ^^ funny.
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

Funcom employee

Any more moderation discussion can happen in PMs between the interested parties and Anarrina - We can keep it outta here, as this sort of thing isn't supposed to be discussed in open forums anyway. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

K, what you're not getting is that people leaving isn't going to change anything either. You're all angry that the "community" is dying and that "the engine is being worked on without me knowing what happened this week to it!"

1.) Everyone in the game could just up and leave and corp wouldn't shut the game down. Corporate stated that they wont make any life choices about the game until the engine is out. This actually means that if the engine DOES NOT bring back a ton of people that it could bring the death of the game faster.

2.) You knowing what bit of code they got working for the game this week isn't going to change how you feel about the engine. Instead of "omg update me about the engine!" people like you will turn around and yell "OMG just push it out half finished so I can use it!" This has happened time and time again with the community on previous updates.

__

Right now the game runs, and it actually runs pretty well for the most part. The design devs are working on a huge content renovation patch and are releasing info on it almost weekly. They have not been in the last few weeks because Funcom Corporate decided they wanted to move everyone to a new country. I'm not sure if you've moved before but it's a huge pain in the ass. I my self just moved and it wasn't even to a new country and it's been a pain in the ass.

Do I wish this stuff was done? Hell yes, I haven't played the game in MONTHS, I don't even have an active paid account right now. I love this game, between all of my accounts I have YEARS worth of play time, that doesn't mystically change the fact that the dev team is working on a limited budget with no room to hire more employees to make the development faster or easier. The dev environment that they work with is based on 2000ish systems, and programs, they can't even batch change items, they have to do each one by hand. And they have no way of changing this in the foreseeable future.

The personal updates on Friday is fine, most devs don't even post stuff more than once a month if that. You need to understand that the lack of new info is info in itself, nothing has changed since it was last posted, keep calm and carry on.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

yeah good points techno. and you are right again.

no one complains about the limited budget and the good job these guys do. it´s all about deadlines they set by their own. so ppl expect the engine coming out 2008/2009. nothing happens. delayed. ppl expecting the engine coming in 2010. nothing happens. delayed. ppl expect the engine coming Q1 2011. nothing happens. delayed. you understand what i mean?^^ and not only a few ppl paid the game cause they believed funcom 1x 2x 3x 4x.... a lot of times. and they were allways disappointed by fc.

when did we got the last real information update on the engine? we dont need weekly updates, but 1x in 2 months is that rly too hard?? is it impossible to show devs on screenshots working on it? too hard to proove us the work progression on it?!

ofc the work on it should be completely finished before patching. but just inform us about longer developement-time AND a fix release date when it will be patched 100%.
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

I feel that they should never have posted a launch date for the engine. The thing has been reworked so many times because of the old code that it's not even funny at this point.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

OKIES. I dont like type wall of texts so.... 2 paragrafs.

They had to restart engine from 0 in 2009~2010ish. AND I bet they decided to start with nonvisible/hard to deal stuff before water, skies, trees and such. AND I bet this is the main reason for no new engine vid being launched. The only bad thing they did was get deadlines for new engine. Period.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    tl;dr: Haters gonna hate.
    People are frustrated but you guys do a pretty good job on keeping the community informed, allot of other games you wouldnt get a weekly update on and like Kintaii says most of it is all a corporate aproch. I dont understand all the hate about weather ect, It's all said light heartedly and in a freindly manner. Stuff gets delayed happens get over it.

All the stuff with the engine guess what?? happens. You dont want a half assed job, you want it to be the best it can be and when/if it is ready it will be released. You dont like the way FC do things /quit simples.

But anyway I think Means and all you guys do a pretty good job keeping us informed, if stuff gets delayed guess what??? happens.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 21st, 2011 at 15:41:45. Reason: removed obscenities
    Greenpilgrim 220/30/70 Soldier President of Insanity-inc
    Indianazack 220/30/70 Advy <3
    Zackheals 220/30/70 The Doc Equip
    Zackstab 220 Shade, Zack999 218 Trader TS Gimp
    Zackrat 214 Crat, Wacko666 219 Enfo
    Zakz 215 NT ... and many more!!!!!

If we weren't all crazy, we'd just go insane.

cool. so you would tell your customers if you have to deliver 1st feb that you need to delay it 2 months?^^ funny dude.... rly funny. i assume you never had to do with business stuff^^ your boss would just fire you. it´s all about deadlines but i see you didnt got it. if everyone would act like this with delaying stuff our economy would have been even more broken than it actually is. you live in africa where +-4 hours is still okay for a meeting? if i´m 5 min too late customers/partners can just quit the work with me.

or if you develope a shopsystem for a big manufacturer. and he wanna participate in christmas sales. but you have to delay the release from octobre to january. imagine what would happen. deadlines and release dates have a reason dude. i bet enough ppl pay their accounts actually cause they trusted funcom in their promised release dates.

@lain: they started "new" with their AOC engine. right. and they gave out release dates more than 1x. right? i thaught a professional company would give you pretty exact release dates, especially after it´s delayed allrdy 1337x. and the last delay isnt long ago. so that´s another point for a "trustworthy" date!
    Last edited by -yeny-; Feb 18th, 2011 at 17:06:50.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    OKIES. I dont like type wall of texts so.... 2 paragrafs.

They had to restart engine from 0 in 2009~2010ish. AND I bet they decided to start with nonvisible/hard to deal stuff before water, skies, trees and such. AND I bet this is the main reason for no new engine vid being launched. The only bad thing they did was get deadlines for new engine. Period.
    May of 2009 is still a long time ago. Especially when the estimate at that time was that it would be in game by the end of that year. And considering AO currently runs an older version of the same engine they have been trying to implement for 2 years, which is made by their own company...
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

Actually i run my own business and do fine.

FC is a business and i see what your are saying but this is a development project. Yes it has been delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. At the end of the day this is a game we all love and yes it is frustrating and i see where you are coming from. But like i said we want this game to be as good as it can be and rushing through stuff is not the way. Haveing to recode the game is a huge job. Im not technical or anything but i can see that.

Had the "engine" never been talked about and never got the go ahead would we still be playing? The engine will not change what AO is about. This game we all play is mainly based around the awsome community we have. it hasnt lasted 10 years because of the graphics and stuff.
    Greenpilgrim 220/30/70 Soldier President of Insanity-inc
    Indianazack 220/30/70 Advy <3
    Zackheals 220/30/70 The Doc Equip
    Zackstab 220 Shade, Zack999 218 Trader TS Gimp
    Zackrat 214 Crat, Wacko666 219 Enfo
    Zakz 215 NT ... and many more!!!!!

If we weren't all crazy, we'd just go insane.

Lets troll this one, new FWM brings nothing as usual except some ridiculous advy changes but who cares about things that wont ever be implemented?
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

Funcom employee

Quit it. =P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Quit it. =P
    ok but only because of the smiley
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

yeah they arent balancing anything. it´s just getting worser balancing between professions... did they ever played the game? they should start pvping to see where it ends with these changes...

Quote Originally Posted by -yeny- View Post
    yeah they arent balancing anything. it´s just getting worser balancing between professions... did they ever played the game? they should start pvping to see where it ends with these changes...
    How does this post make sense btw?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

you still play the game (didnt saw you 1x in pvp since i´m on rk1)? you know how balanced advys and docs for example are? now read the yet released nano-docs and think about it. it´s getting worser. not better. so my post does make a lot sense, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by -yeny- View Post
    you still play the game (didnt saw you 1x in pvp since i´m on rk1)? you know how balanced advys and docs for example are? now read the yet released nano-docs and think about it. it´s getting worser. not better. so my post does make a lot sense, yeah.
    No it doesn't. How does nerfing advs and docs make it worse? And you likely won't ever see me in BS because that's such an utter bore.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Adv nerf? Where? Just cause they cant CH in wolf? While enfs lost almost everything, including taunts?
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    No it doesn't. How does nerfing advs and docs make it worse? And you likely won't ever see me in BS because that's such an utter bore.
    good joke. you read soldier changes for example (loosing 50% of defense time + loosing 30-40% alpha dmg or more that makes them unable to kill any healing prof)? or maybe the recent advy changes?

if you dont participate in pvp, how can you have such a strong opinion about it? you dont see 5 ppl trying to kill a single advy for over minutes^^ same with docs. and not that they getting nerfed much. who cares about 30% more nanocosts as a doc that focus on outhealing the opponents dmg??? he wont run out of nano anyway if he sticks to heals until the alpha is avoided. while others are cut by 30-40% or more of alpha dmg. the gap between some profs getting much bigger/worser after the balance.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast