Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - Feb. 18th, 2011: 10th Anniversary Party in Montreal - June 25th!

Quote Originally Posted by quieter456 View Post
    So it hurts agents and shades, and the rest of us laugh? oO Wasn't adv the nemesis of doctors?
    Those aren't the only professions using conceal. In fact, lots of profs fall into 'hurts' range for this nano.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Montreal.... Montreal.... I'll be back from Japan by then, but only by a couple weeks.... I'll be just barely graduated by then, but only by a couple months....

Oh, hell, this will take a lot of hard thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    PS: Here is the Adventurer document... we look forward to your feedback. This was a tough profession to work with but I think the changes look very exciting.
    IMO, you should have waited for the 1st of April before releasing this one, 'cos it's clearly a joke.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -yeny- View Post
    hahahahahaha^^ atleast in 2011 as beta.... that would be a joke if it doesnt come in the next months. you rly think moving to canada makes it plausible to delay it for another year? LOL
    Unfortunately the original AO Dev Team (and many of their successors) did not leave notes regarding the code itself.

Hardware is not too hard to figure out, you can get the specs from it online or from the manufacturer. Software code which you need to dig and figure out what was there originally, what was changed and why, and how you can change it without breaking something else... now that is a fraking challenge no MMO Dev Team wants to face, yet our Devs are doing it.

Just because they are using a modified AoC engine, doesn't mean it's just replacing A with B. Otherwise every single MMO out there would update their software every 6 months with ease.

AO's playfields are big compared to AOC's, so what fits great over there, here.... it doesn't. It needs to either be modified heavily or done from scratch.

If the fact that previous dev teams didn't take notes, chances are that the original textures weren't saved either. Also the quality of those textures probably would not take advantage of the new engine, so... again, either heavily modified or done from scratch.

Code... tons of work, new textures... tons of work. And that is just the basics, people will expect new/revamped effects and maybe emotes... another mountain of work.

All on a very very very tight budget, while at the same time working on stuff not related to the engine, rebalance, bug fixes, etc.

They are not Blizzard, Sony or Turbine.

They got AO and AoC and that is it. I won't comment on AoC's launch but you can figure out what happened there. TSW is probably FC's high hope to regain good footing in the MMO Market and make the company more profitable.

So AO is pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole, yet somehow Colin and the Dev Team have done far better work than previous teams (which I think had larger budgets to work with since there were more players back in those days).

Moving from one house to another is a pain, packing, unpacking, stuff breaks in the way. Still, you can live without a vase, some mugs or plates being broken.

Try dealing with a piece of hardware that breaks which is NO LONGER MANUFACTURED and all the software and other hardware are set SPECIFICALLY to that one piece.

They didn't move across the street, or just a few miles away. They moved about... 5500 Kilometers/3400 Miles.

Their mistake: Giving deadlines. This has been an FC classic blunder for many many years. Just as it was releasing a video years ago of the "new engine" back then it was disastrous.

Torches and Pitchforks all the damn time.

"I want new engine NOW!"
    "'I want proof you are working!"
    "Where is my prof rebalance doc!"
    "This bug has been around since 2003, when you gonna fix this!"

Or to simplify it...

"FIX!"
    "FIX!"
    "FIX!"
    "PROOF OF FIX!"

If Colin didn't love the game, he probably would have gone to a larger company by now.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

FYI, the 24th june is National Holiday of Quebec, aka, Drunk Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Holiday_(Quebec)

@ Hvy I'm sure we all know that getting the new ao engine out the door is comparable to building the tower of babel or making a trip to mars.

Seriously.. We know it's hard and that the resources are small. But all I've heard ppl asking for lately is: Is q1 2011 still on?

Quote Originally Posted by Plante View Post
    FYI, the 24th june is National Holiday of Quebec, aka, Drunk Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Holiday_(Quebec)
    Sounds like a good day then
    220/30/70 Martial Artist
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    A Rubi-Ka Story - youtube
    TRB Presentation Video divx | wegame

Aw. I wanted to comment on the adventurer changes but the thread is already so chock full of trolling I'd probably be tl;dr'd :<

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Explanation that should have come from FC...
    None of this is news to us. I'm not saying that to flame you, Win, because I absolutely would adore this post... if it came from FC.

You are probably absolutely correct in every point you make and whatever future delays come will have something to do with one or all of the information you provided. If this post had of been an official one, then I believe it would have silenced the people that are genuinely excited about what this change will bring both to their gameplay and to the population on the servers. Of course, haters would still hate, no getting around that.

@ Noob, I'm perfectly willing to accept the fact that the current team simply had no idea of the scope of what they were going to have to deal with in making this change. I'm even willing to accept the fact that there are moments that continue to baffle them and that importing an old game into a new engine is far more challenging than building a whole game from scratch. I really wish, just once, that someone from FC would say the phrase:

"We simply were not prepared for the amount of work that this was going to involve and any estimations of a time when we would be able to implement this for our subscribers have been vastly optimistic. At this point, we simply don't have a timeline for when the new engine will be released. We do have the full backing from Corporate to continue our work and we do expect that we will offer an upgraded engine long before the game is officially shelved. As to when that new engine will be available to you, the players, is a complete mystery at this point. In the meantime, we have the changes to the professions to work through and additional content that has been worked on in parallel with our existing upgrade project. Stick with us and we'll continue to make our beloved game even better, crappy graphics and all."

Either that or:

"Yup, we're still on for Q1 this year."

Getting frustrated with us for continually re-hashing their own, self-imposed deadlines and beotch-slapping us on the forums for our complaining just makes the problem worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

"Half an hour"(TM)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Getting frustrated with us for continually re-hashing their own, self-imposed deadlines and beotch-slapping us on the forums for our complaining just makes the problem worse.
    Yep. If you don't know when something can be released don't claim to know.
    But they did say q1 2011. Is it still on track or not?

We'll be lucky to get the Engine before the 10th birthday or this Year come to that matter and they won't admit it. Q1 I doubt it very much - means either did not read all the posts last week or thought he would just not answer it cause we were right about the team keep braking promises

Honestly, I don't feel with the current attitude of the community that being more open about the release date for anything would improve the situation for FC so it makes sense they simply don't bother with these details. Alot of selfish and ungrateful people are ready to jump on the AO dev team for even the slightest deviation from their expectations. Why feed that fire? So they can rant more? We all know it will come when it's ready. It's pretty childish to remind everyone at every opportunity that FC missed a date or didn't do something they said they would. Move on and get past yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Honestly, I don't feel with the current attitude of the community that being more open about the release date for anything would improve the situation for FC so it makes sense they simply don't bother with these details. Alot of selfish and ungrateful people are ready to jump on the AO dev team for even the slightest deviation from their expectations. Why feed that fire? So they can rant more? We all know it will come when it's ready. It's pretty childish to remind everyone at every opportunity that FC missed a date or didn't do something they said they would. Move on and get past yourself.
    So, you're saying that exceeding the original deadline by over three years, and still failing to deliver, or even comment/confirm the latest estimate, is a "slight deviation" from our expectations...? Right?

I don't think anyone would be "jumping on the dev team" unless there was this sort of slipping from estimated deadlines and excuse after excuse after excuse in EVERY official post from any of the FC representatives.

And then after the excuses they say that they're only human etc... guess what, so are we. If I would estimate some work project of mine to be done at a certain time and then postpone it over and over again for three years, i would surely lose my job. Actually i would lose my job a lot earlier than that three years. Guess the timetables are tighter in industrial automation, than in the IT/gaming business... but still... I'm personally very tired to see the same excuses every week.
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    ...Move on and get past yourself...
    unfortunately, most have already. go back a couple years and this thread would be on page 10 already. the fire that you refer to is a candle at this point. quit trying to snuff it out. when the day comes that the forum drama disappears, is the day when the game is dead for real. we all have our opinions (no matter how dumb or sensational), and I'm sure the dev's don't need help from people that feel that they speak for the dev's or funcom, they're adults like the rest of us. not all of us can look at everything with rose-coloured glasses... at some point reality sinks in and the excitement dissipates; for most that means doing as you said, to move on. that sucks though, as the server (at least rk2) seems so empty these days...
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    I'm personally very tired to see the same excuses every week.
    Then what do you what? The engine's not yet done, then giving some time frame isn't going to magically make it done. Every time frame they have given in the past was their projected time frame that failed to be met.

So, what exactly does anyone that is bitching about the engine not being magically done want?
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Then what do you what? The engine's not yet done, then giving some time frame isn't going to magically make it done. Every time frame they have given in the past was their projected time frame that failed to be met.
    That's why the vast majority of posters here think that they shouldn't post any deadlines they don't know for sure that they can keep.

So, what exactly does anyone that is bitching about the engine not being magically done want?
    We want them to tell us if the release is on track for q1 2011 as they said or if it's going to be late again.
    And we want to know if q1 2011 means at the latest the 31st of march or if it means something else. And in that case what is that?

That is EXACTLY what we want.

Ad if they feel that they can't give us any estimate whatsoever then we want to know that and make our decisions based on that.

ps. Some more insight into what is being done would be nice, without guesstimates. But it's not a must.
    Last edited by Noobius76; Feb 18th, 2011 at 21:32:14.

… So, what exactly does anyone that is bitching about the engine not being magically done want?
    A higher post count.
    Don't mind me. I'm just passin' through.
    ::CLAN ADV :Chairman's Prize for Holy LOL recipient: RK-I::
    The Red Brotherhood
    If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my leet in the mashed potatoes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    So, you're saying that exceeding the original deadline by over three years, and still failing to deliver, or even comment/confirm the latest estimate, is a "slight deviation" from our expectations...? Right?
    I didn't say that but it's pretty clear where you are coming from. It's really not relevant what anyone thinks is slight or major. It's just reality. What I will stand by is that acting like a frustrated child on the forums doesn't magically make wishes come true. Some level of maturity needs to be used here and many people simply aren't.

I'm talking about people like 'The Counting Down The Days To The End Of Q1 2011' guy. Really, is that achieving something or just inciting more immaturity from others that are following that lead? We all know it's not going to be done for Q1 2011 so it just seems genuinely dishonest to keep shoving it in FC's face. I don't think anyone believes it has a positive impact on anything. Maybe my expectation is too high, but it would be nice to see people grow up a little when it comes to these 'release dates'.
    Last edited by Obtena; Feb 18th, 2011 at 23:16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    ps. Some more insight into what is being done would be nice, without guesstimates. But it's not a must.
    They tell use what's happening all the time. I think that's being REALLY unfair and dishonest. I know no other dev team that is telling their players what is happening with game developments on a weekly basis. You're so full of it. You could only get more insight if you WORKED at FC on AO.
    Last edited by Obtena; Feb 18th, 2011 at 21:36:02.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast