Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - Feb. 18th, 2011: 10th Anniversary Party in Montreal - June 25th!

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Ok let's assume the engine is out, boom!

Now we have a nice new engine and.... same textures from the old one. Then the change would be almost meaningless. People will troll, demand and get their torches and pitchforks.

They have been working on sneaking in new textures since last year, however if you have already made textures that work with the new engine from AoC which are similar enough to the AO version of it.. would you go and make it from scratch or just use the resource?

I wouldn't bet on this... but I would think the AoC Dev Team is more familiar with the Dreamworld engine than the AO Dev Team, so chances are that they do talk to each other regarding issues that our devs are bumping into as they are trying to get things done at least when they were in Norway sharing offices.

It's all done in-house, and the grass you see in the video that Means released looks awfully similar to the AoC grass.
    I can't really see any coherency in your post, but then again I didn't peruse the thread. Of course they talk to each other. Also, before they weren't sharing offices in Norway. Most of AoC were already in Montreal. They're sharing offices now. That video was made how long ago? It's supposed ot show off the capabilities of the engine, not the resources used by it. Making the engine is one task, reworking resources is another.

Am I missing something, or do you actually say that it would be bad if they reuse the grass? Or are we getting into a metadiscussion about grass in AoC is not the same as grass in AO?
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Now we have a nice new engine and.... same textures from the old one. Then the change would be almost meaningless. People will troll, demand and get their torches and pitchforks.

They have been working on sneaking in new textures since last year, however if you have already made textures that work with the new engine from AoC which are similar enough to the AO version of it.. would you go and make it from scratch or just use the resource?

I wouldn't bet on this... but I would think the AoC Dev Team is more familiar with the Dreamworld engine than the AO Dev Team, so chances are that they do talk to each other regarding issues that our devs are bumping into as they are trying to get things done at least when they were in Norway sharing offices.

It's all done in-house, and the grass you see in the video that Means released looks awfully similar to the AoC grass.

AO already has a bunch of high rez textures that the engine cant handle, even the old textures will look better under the new engine.

There are not many textures that are the same from AoC to AO, most if not all of the work for AoC was completely new work.

It's back and forth, the devs that are doing the work for AO's engine are Dreamworld experts from the design team of AoC's first days. They have made some large strides in AO's engine that the AoC team then incorporated into AoC. At the same time they have also talked to the AoC engine devs AND TSW engine devs fixing bugs that they found and fixed in their engine build.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

You can't really exchange textures between AO and AoC.
    The style is completely different.
    Textures really aren't that universal either; they're for a specific model with a specific UV set.
    There's a few exceptions, where textures could be exchanged, but you can count these on a single hand probably.

However, the game will look better in the new engine even without a texture upgrade.
    Improved lighting and shadows does a lot for a scene. It won't all come down to texture quality.

But most importantly, the new engine will make AO compatible with newer machines again and allows the game to last another 10 years.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Yes, that is Exactly what is going to happen and it's not been a secret at all. No, it will most definitely not be a meaningless visual change. Building resources like textures and models does not require you to be familiar with an engine, only with the capabilities of said engine.
    There's no AoC trees being used, for one, the grass might be similar, but chances of it being the same are pretty low. Having a proof of concept video isn't the same as showing the final product, so the grass could look completely different. A bit of grass isn't quite the same as using a ton of other resources. Particularly when the games are so vastly visually different. One is a future vision with alternative dimensions where technology was vastly superior, the other is a fantasy romp through dilapidated old shacks and crumbling temples. There's not much visual similarity at all. And as was said many times previously in official responses, making excessive visual updates to textures in various areas will pose a problem for the visual style of the game, as some things with high quality sit and look out of place next to low resolution visuals.
    Some things will be updated at launch, some things will sneak in updated versions as time goes by.

And that's not even taking into considerations the legal ramifications of using resources from one game developed under one publisher in another developed under a different publisher...
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Feb 21st, 2011 at 09:31:13.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    A question that's been on a lot of people's minds - when does Q1 2011 end for FC?
    Around end of 2012 I think
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

No about 2015 Q2 and it will be released in the back of a van parked in car park out side a 7/11 in Montreal - They got another party to sort out. 'No Date's just Parties'.
    And to any clanners on RK2 - Omni are moving to RK1 cause u smell
    Last edited by Datch; Feb 21st, 2011 at 13:51:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Datch View Post
    And to any clanners on RK2 - Omni are moving to RK1 cause u smell
    pls do so... omni is dead on rk1 atm (tl5+7-wise). so you wont feel a big difference to rk2 maybe you can bring some ball-implants with you and a better leadership.^^
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

You know, other than the statement quoted is the dudes sig above...

Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means – September 24th, 2010 – Questions and Answers about the new Engine
    With the increased scope of supporting both clients a Christmas launch is becoming less and less likely…but a Q1 2011 launch seems relatively certain.
    I can't find any "official" release date for this AO Engine update. I hope you boneheads aren't actually using this statement as the bases for all this whining and crying about how "supposedly" an AO update could never happen by the time stated above. You guys do have something more "official" to go on, right??

I mean come on!!

"..seems relatively...",

For real??

This is why all your panties are in a bunch? Doesn't seem very concrete to me. Seems more like a casual comment made by a caffeine deprived coder who's been up for a week straight.. "Yeah, seems relatively certain that i'm gonna take a crap today, but if I don't it's cool, you know?"

Please tell me there's something more out there to warrant all this panty bunching.
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
    Please tell me there's something more out there to warrant all this panty bunching.
    They can't, there isn't as far as I'm aware.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
    I can't find any "official" release date for this AO Engine update.
    So your opinion is that the Game Director's 'Questions and Answers' thread is not 'official'? Check the last line of the linked quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    With the increased scope of supporting both clients a Christmas launch is becoming less and less likely…but a Q1 2011 launch seems relatively certain.
    That's like saying you do not believe in guns after someone shoots you. You might be against the use of guns, but it does not make the fact that you were just shot any less real.

My personal opinion is that various time frames for an 'expected' release of the graphics engine update have been stated at different times in the past, but nothing was released. Therefore the skepticism of so many is warranted.
    Soon™ no longer works.
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Feb 22nd, 2011 at 00:28:33.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

So which is it? An official statement of a time that they are most likely going to launch the engine, or a complete lack of info about the engine?!
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    So which is it? An official statement of a time that they are most likely going to launch the engine, or a complete lack of info about the engine?!
    I think people would be happy with a: 'We're still on Track' Statement.
    Or appeased somewhat by a 'The Engine has been delayed' Statement.

Personally I think the engine news is pointless till the Prof rebalancing is at least in a test state.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    So your opinion is that the Game Director's 'Questions and Answers' thread is not 'official'?
    Seems relatively certain that I don't believe that what Means said in that Q/A was an official release date, no. I think I made the pretty clear, do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    That's like saying you do not believe in guns after someone shoots you. You might be against the use of guns, but it does not make the fact that you were just shot any less real.
    Are we certain I was shot by said gun, or are we only relatively certain I was shot by said gun? Lets assume at this point that I believe in both guns and engine updates.

"Roswell, it seems we are relatively certain that you were shot by a gun."

or

"We will be releasing the new AO engine update by the end of Q1 2011."

If I were certain I was shot by a gun you can bet your ass I would believe in guns. If I were more than what seems to be relatively certain that the new AO engine update was going to be ready at the end of Q1 2011, and it didn't get released, then my panties would get wrinkled.

Am I bringing this around for you?
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

Man.... Use your cellbrainz a bit more. Ever if they had the new engine done 6 months ago, they prolly wouldnt tell us a thing. Do you know why? REBALANCE!

New engine will not hit live before Rebalance changes. If we cry for anything, lets cry for something more usefull, LIKE rebalance... pff.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

The Rebalance will not make ppl come back to the game. Yes it will make the toon's play better 'Thats not 'relatively certain'. But the engine will. ppl like nice graphics. The way AO game play works allows work arounds for toon's and still will after the rebalance. All the rebalance will do is put toon's back to like they were in the begining before all the pvp's kept sticking there or in.
    The Engine on the other hand will make new ppl play the game. they may not all stay but some will and the player base will expand.
    The game is great to play but the graphics are very very very Dated!!!
    Also the amount of CPU power needed is way more than most games because of the way the old engine renders everything.
    The Reblance is a good thing but don't think its more important than the engine but it's not.
    Last edited by Datch; Feb 22nd, 2011 at 13:55:35.

No one will stick around to play after the engine launch if the game play is still broken. It is a well known fact that more people left due to game play issues then how the game looked.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Datch View Post
    The Rebalance will not make ppl come back to the game. Yes it will make the toon's play better 'Thats not 'relatively certain'. But the engine will. ppl like nice graphics. The way AO game play works allows work arounds for toon's and still will after the rebalance. All the rebalance will do is put toon's back to like they were in the begining before all the pvp's kept sticking there or in.
    The Engine on the other hand will make new ppl play the game. they may not all stay but some will and the player base will expand.
    The game is great to play but the graphics are very very very Dated!!!
    Also the amount of CPU power needed is way more than most games because of the way the old engine renders everything.
    The Reblance is a good thing but don't think its more important than the engine but it's not.
    Imagine that you are a new player. Nice apealing engine and such. You are learning how to game works. After a month, a new patch arrives: "We are completely changing everything in the game because in current stata, the game isn't very well balanced."
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    Imagine that you are a new player. Nice apealing engine and such. You are learning how to game works. After a month, a new patch arrives: "We are completely changing everything in the game because in current stata, the game isn't very well balanced."
    Imagine that you are experienced player. You have FINALLY, after years of playing, learned how the game works. Then the new patch arrives: "We are completely changing everything in the game because in current state, the game isn't very well balanced."

Thus you are a new player again... having to learn pretty much everything from scratch again. Personally i don't want that. At all. I don't want to learn OLD game again from scratch. I rather play some completely NEW game if i have to learn all the stuff again anyway.

All that was needed was some little tweaking to the most imbalanced or overpowered stuff in game. Not completely new game to learn.

TL: DR
    New engine = great, bring it on asap!
    "the Great Rebalancing patch" = take your time, or better yet, forget about it already.
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    No one will stick around to play after the engine launch if the game play is still broken. It is a well known fact that more people left due to game play issues then how the game looked.
    This ^^
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    Thus you are a new player again... having to learn pretty much everything from scratch again. Personally i don't want that. At all. I don't want to learn OLD game again from scratch. I rather play some completely NEW game if i have to learn all the stuff again anyway.
    If you have to learn everything from scratch again, you actually play a new game.
    I, personally, looking forward for engine change and balancing. Even tho, my toon's toolset will change, everything else will be there. You know how you can get where.
    You just have to re-learn how to get it done. And i like it. ****e in some old soup.

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast