Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - Feb. 18th, 2011: 10th Anniversary Party in Montreal - June 25th!

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Ok let's assume the engine is out, boom!

Now we have a nice new engine and.... same textures from the old one. Then the change would be almost meaningless. People will troll, demand and get their torches and pitchforks.

They have been working on sneaking in new textures since last year, however if you have already made textures that work with the new engine from AoC which are similar enough to the AO version of it.. would you go and make it from scratch or just use the resource?

I wouldn't bet on this... but I would think the AoC Dev Team is more familiar with the Dreamworld engine than the AO Dev Team, so chances are that they do talk to each other regarding issues that our devs are bumping into as they are trying to get things done at least when they were in Norway sharing offices.

It's all done in-house, and the grass you see in the video that Means released looks awfully similar to the AoC grass.
    u know that is was clearly stated that new gfx engine won't mean general texture overhaul, right? ^^
    if not, read the old stuff about the engine.

completely new fancy gfx always just been a fantasy of people that automatically connected "new engine" with that.
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    Thus you are a new player again... having to learn pretty much everything from scratch again. Personally i don't want that. At all. I don't want to learn OLD game again from scratch. I rather play some completely NEW game if i have to learn all the stuff again anyway.
    If these changes make you have to relearn the whole game all over again you maybe playing the wrong game in the first place. Most of the changes being made are stats on nanos and items and effects. The Engineer and Advy changes have been the biggest yet. Advy will take people having some thinking and hotbar setup changes made. Engineer will just have to change a but load of items.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    Yay! A party in...

4 months!
    At which time, AO2 will have most of its kinks ironed out and new features added which will make it a true replacement to AO. I can hardly wait!

I hear it has a boat ton of work needed done to it first.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

I hope they show the engine over at the Moose Party also, I'd love to be there to see potential improvements since September.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Let's rock Montreal, Alternity!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0 View Post
    u know that is was clearly stated that new gfx engine won't mean general texture overhaul, right? ^^
    if not, read the old stuff about the engine.

completely new fancy gfx always just been a fantasy of people that automatically connected "new engine" with that.
    I didn't say they would do everything, but they've been getting some FREElance help from the community (an intern or two as well it seems). So that does add up. Hard to turn down good talent, specially when it doesn't affect the budget.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Maybe they could ask us all for help!
    Why dose everyone keep thinking the rebalance is going to change the whole game. I'm I missing something? My understanding and what I've seen so far just shows me that the only major effect of the rebalance will be to to make the toons's better matched, The only loosers will be the twinks and if u can twink a toon once u can do it again u will just have to find a new way. All the game play will be the same as will just about everything else in game. So stop thinking it's the AO2 it's not.
    The Engine is the main thing that will change the way the game look's and play's (cause it should run faster if they have done it right!).

If U are a new play to the game that has started by all the fancy new graphics. even if it take another 6 months for the rebalance the changes will not effect u that much because u will only have lowish lvl toon's and will still be getting to grips with the game anyway. Just think about your very first toon and how long it took u to work out how to play the game.

24th, heh?

I wonder if my girlfriend will let me go to some "internet people" party on Quebec's Fête nationale (National Holiday)...

Ho well, I should at least be able to make it on the 25th if I'm not too hung over. I definitely have to visit you guys now that you are in Montréal.

post 150 (just for the record)

maybe the game is going down the toilet but hey let's all have a party and forget about that! just about everyone in the game won't be able to come anyway! so lets just get drunk.
    I live in the uk and i can hardly pay for the game let alone flights across the Atlantic.
    I would much more prefer to see all the time and effort going into the game not sorting out parties only a select few can get 2!!!

Everyone needs a little moral boost sometimes! Besides, I think it's great that FC is down with get togethers to rub elbows with their playerbase. That takes a real sense of Dev-Player connection, that you just don't see from every MMORPG developer.

Really hoping I can make it up, Montreal was lovely!
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    I didn't say they would do everything, but they've been getting some FREElance help from the community (an intern or two as well it seems). So that does add up. Hard to turn down good talent, specially when it doesn't affect the budget.
    They're redoing Borealis completely. They're redoing trees, ground textures, grass, various other world resources and such for launch, or so it has been said.
    Vhab did not work on graphical resources. Sezmra and Docaholic supply some character textures and icons, respectively.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Vhab did not work on graphical resources.
    I might have made some Halloween content

But yeah, I'm the only intern the AO team has had in quite a while.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    I hear it has a boat ton of work needed done to it first.
    They built a new engine and game in 5 years. FC can't re-build a new engine in 4 years. I think that says enough.

building from scratch goes faster than having to adapt code from one engine to another.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    building from scratch goes faster than having to adapt code from one engine to another.
    That's not even logical.

when building from scratch results in having more freedom in code, while having to adapt from one engine to another while your code lacks decent documentation can be a pain in the ass due to having to figure out everything again and then wondering why it works in the old engine and not in the new one.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    when building from scratch results in having more freedom in code, while having to adapt from one engine to another while your code lacks decent documentation can be a pain in the ass due to having to figure out everything again and then wondering why it works in the old engine and not in the new one.
    That doesn't make sense either. Lack of documentation is a failure of competency, not a general part of the process.

If you make a garbled mess of the code and do not document your work, how can you expect to upgrade the code in an effective manner? Other companies seem to understand this (as we have seen from their engine upgrades). Funcom does not.

On the other hand, if you have documented your work, then textures and such should just pop into place so-to-speak. Yes, you'll have to do some fine tuning. But you have to do that if you start from scratch too.

The difference between a new game and an old game with engine upgrade, is that the old game has most of its resources already developed, which should create a shorter development time with a new engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Let's rock Montreal, Alternity!

I'd be down to ride a moose from pub to pub!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast