Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Friday with Means - Feb. 18th, 2011: 10th Anniversary Party in Montreal - June 25th!

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    I'd be down to ride a moose from pub to pub!
    I will expect a YouTube video of this! and you must wear an AO T-Shirt!
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Feb 24th, 2011 at 22:19:28.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lektronik View Post
    That doesn't make sense either. Lack of documentation is a failure of competency, not a general part of the process.

If you make a garbled mess of the code and do not document your work, how can you expect to upgrade the code in an effective manner? Other companies seem to understand this (as we have seen from their engine upgrades). Funcom does not.

On the other hand, if you have documented your work, then textures and such should just pop into place so-to-speak. Yes, you'll have to do some fine tuning. But you have to do that if you start from scratch too.

The difference between a new game and an old game with engine upgrade, is that the old game has most of its resources already developed, which should create a shorter development time with a new engine.
    It does for some cases, like if you want your stuff to do unique things.
    AO was built by amateurs in the late 90s and the original intention of the game was to run for just 4 years being heavily story based and the story would then end and the game would shut down. As it so happens, that did not happen, and left the many different teams working with what they have today.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    They're redoing Borealis completely. They're redoing trees, ground textures, grass, various other world resources and such for launch, or so it has been said.
    Vhab did not work on graphical resources. Sezmra and Docaholic supply some character textures and icons, respectively.
    and all that was never planned in the beginning... they tried the first engine and after the exitement was gone they dumbed it - because it was not doable.
    then they took the new engine but soon figured out "hey - people will never be satisfied with this"... and now years later they are working on some textures...

to cut the story short ^^
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

They're redoing Borealis completely.
    Obligatory "FREE BOREALIS!"
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    I'd be down to ride a moose from pub to pub!
    My very first visit to Canada to visit a customer found me waking up one morning to several moose (it is moose for plural right), wandering around the parking lot of the hotel. Being the true redneck I am, I have to admit, the first thought that went threw my mind was "man, if I could tip these bad boys, I would be a legend back home". The sheer size of them (a head down charge into them would land well below what I think is the center of gravity), total lack of motivation (alcohol and drunk buddies to egg me on) and no suitable clothes to change into when I made a mess of myself in the snow of the parking lot prevented me from doing it. Pretty cool nevertheless.
    Liamboru 220 Engineer - Brianboru 220 Soldier - Padraigboru 150 Soldier - Tadghboru 60 Engineer - Cormacboru 15 Engineer
    ...and ofc, the army of buff hoes
    ------------------------------------
    PvPDood: Hey, come back and duel me again, I hardly ever get to fight a gimp like you! - Get a /tell like that and it sort of makes you want to evaluate what you thought was a twink!

Walker
    : Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy!
    Texas Ranger
    : I don't even know what that means, but I love it!

AO was built by amateurs in the late 90s and the original intention of the game was to run for just 4 years being heavily story based and the story would then end and the game would shut down. As it so happens, that did not happen, and left the many different teams working with what they have today.
    it's kinda funny that they created something great by wanting to create something completely different =)
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by Liamboru View Post
    My very first visit to Canada to visit a customer found me waking up one morning to several moose (it is moose for plural right), wandering around the parking lot of the hotel. Being the true redneck I am, I have to admit, the first thought that went threw my mind was "man, if I could tip these bad boys, I would be a legend back home". The sheer size of them (a head down charge into them would land well below what I think is the center of gravity), total lack of motivation (alcohol and drunk buddies to egg me on) and no suitable clothes to change into when I made a mess of myself in the snow of the parking lot prevented me from doing it. Pretty cool nevertheless.
    lucky you did not a moose can kill you very fast
    Proud Advisor of Spartans

Taskersolder Level 220 Soldier
    Taskdoc Level 220 Doc
    Jarew Level 220 NT
    Tasker1 Level 220 Fixer
    Taskcrat Level 220 Crat
    Tasky Level 220 Trader
    Taskmann Level 220 Adv
    Healer01 Level 220 Doc-semi-retired TT dispenser

Quote Originally Posted by tasker_healer View Post
    lucky you did not a moose can kill you very fast
    Your argument is invalid!
    if moose were so dangerous, why aren't there any in AO?
    it has tigers, sharks and wolves, but no moose!

Kind Regards
    -drunk Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

AO was built by complete idiots in the late 90s and the original intention of the game was to run for just 4 years being heavily story based and the story would then end and the game would shut down.
    If what you say is true, then I have corrected your statement for you. Because I can't imagine any company planning to voluntarily terminate their own source of income.

If what you say is true, then I have corrected your statement for you. Because I can't imagine any company planning to voluntarily terminate their own source of income.
    How many games are contunuately updated?
    Was FallOut updated?
    No they launched a FallOut 2

Halo
    Halo 2

-most- games are fire (earn money) and forget
    So Fire, maintain for 4 years and moving on to other games seems reasonable.

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

You have to realize, that in 2001, EQ was barely over 2 years old when AO was released. Ultima Online was reaching the 4 year mark. Development of AO began in what, 1995? The idea that a MMORPG would be able to last more than a few years was a risky one at best, at that time in the genre's history. Personally, I was intrigued by the idea of a beginning/middle/end of a story-heavy MMO.
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

Nope, AO wasn't expected to be worth keeping alive after 4 years, they figured, mostly rightly too, that the population would be too low to sustain the income they needed for the game. It's part of the reason the whole froob program started as they were planning on ending the game but froobs brought enough life back into the game at the time that they decided not to.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Your statement makes no sense as you disregard a ton of factors. Go read up on the history of online games and revise your statement.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    Your argument is invalid!
    if moose were so dangerous, why aren't there any in AO?
    it has tigers, sharks and wolves, but no moose!

Kind Regards
    -drunk Ariensky
    Now You've done it - the bloody advs will get stuck with a moose nano - hmm Wonder if i'll look good with antlers?

“A Møøse once bit my sister…”
    Don't mind me. I'm just passin' through.
    ::CLAN ADV :Chairman's Prize for Holy LOL recipient: RK-I::
    The Red Brotherhood
    If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my leet in the mashed potatoes.”

Maybe we should just re-invent the story - I'm going to have a think about this. were the story should go. We should if its done right put another 10years into the game. But that's what the game is lacking - direction. atm the PvPer's just kill everyone and really upset ppl with there look at me i'll kill u - mostly clan's for some reason - maybe they just got all the boneheads. but in anycase the game needs direction and to be made to come alive again. the old story on the opressed clan fighting the great omni tech don't work anymore because it's omni tech who are the opressed 1's. We need to think out of the box.

If Blizard can rewrite WoW we can do it with AO

Get New Engine
    Reblance
    New Story

... And maybe a moose or 2 - Pit lizard is crap - make that a moose - starting to like the Idea of Antlers!!!
    Last edited by Datch; Feb 25th, 2011 at 14:01:15.

Plante* It suppose to be quebec city :P

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789