Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - February 25th, 2011 - The dust is settling

Colin is trying hard to avoid his predecessors most notable mistake. Releasing something without being fully tested.

AO Launch... /fail.
    NW boost pack (now called an expansion)... /fail.
    Almost every other expansions.... /fail.

Bugs, bugs, bugs, bugs and exploits here and there.

The amount of QC (Quality Control) done in AO these days under Colin's lead compared to before is dramatically different.

He would rather make us wait a whole year more than release something that we the community will be unhappy about. Yeah, it would cause trolling, uproar and more than a few people screaming bloody murder but he can handle that.

I knew the BETA was coming out this year, and if anyone else was dreaming of having a fully working engine just drop out of the sky then I gotta say, you sir/madam /failed to keep yourself informed about the engine. Your fault for not doing research.

Hopefully all the trolls and drama queens will keep silent for a few months since almost everything I stated in the previous FwM and FwoM has pretty much been confirmed.

Thank you for shopping at S-Mart.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Thank you for shopping at S-Mart.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Also, stop calling him Colin. It may be his name, but it's weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Also, stop calling him Colin. It may be his name, but it's weird.
    /trolls post

wheres klod? I DEMAND A KLOD!
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

*twiddles thumbs waiting for the MP document*

Just bear in mind you have a lot of expectations riding on that document. By this point, some MPs won't be content with anything less than a blatant godmode button or instagibber.

thanks for helping me FC!

and that is sarcasm
    Whooo

Quote Originally Posted by Monchil View Post
    There were never any promised dates so I think it's a bit unfair to be so critical. I keep seeing that word "promise" flying around so losely that its seemingly lost its true meaning. Also, the BETA timeframe is not a promise so keep that in mind.
    i would agree if it all wasnt years late, wich it is,,, promise or anticipated date, semantics, and again i wouldnt say anything if it wasnt like 50th time they change the date
    The most obvious MB on Rubi-Ka
    Insane666 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Soldier Insanity669 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage Doc Insanity699 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage MP
    Insanity696 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Bureaucrat Insane669 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Fixer Insanity666 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage NT

Insane699 ( 164/22 ) Solitus Trader Insane969 ( 150/20 ) S10 Trox Smurf

Omni-Tek
    Hells Hero for a decade, now a Punk
    spreading insanity all over rk, since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmouse View Post
    New graphics engine Q1 or Q2 2011! \o/ You read it right here folks
    "early beta" rough translation: which means another 1+ years b4 it hits anything live :/ tsw will come out first

I knew the BETA was coming out this year, and if anyone else was dreaming of having a fully working engine just drop out of the sky then I gotta say, you sir/madam /failed to keep yourself informed about the engine. Your fault for not doing research.
    you mean the "new for 2008" engine? this engine was announced prior to the secret world and i have been waiting for that since 07 (from tsw forums Join Date: 06-04-2007)

its all getting quite old. there have been many many release dates for "betas" over the years and the constant fails on meeting those dates are costing the game older subscribers
    Last edited by capncaveman; Feb 25th, 2011 at 21:06:14.
    what if the hokey pokey?...is what its all about
    I AM BORED!!!!
    Capnsfix, Capncaveman, Denamari, Monkeylips, and boatloads of others
    Insanity inc. still waiting on our in game strait jacket

MP document? New beta engine? Hmmm...looks like might be a good year... So we have to troll AoC forums and yell at them to hurry up with the new engine? Got it.

I have yet to play an MMO at launch that didn't have a ridiculous number of bugs, if more QA means less bugs and I gotta wait a few more months, then I wait a few more months. I've waited what 9 years? Whats a few more months for all new balanced play and shinies?
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

As far as the engines goes at this point:

It aint happening, stop production save the money, it will buy some months maybe a year of extended server time keeping the game alive that much longer. You will not pull in enough new subscriptions to make that investment worth while.

Focus your attention on game balance, and all of it for that matter. that is the only chance of saving this game. Hand out plenty of IPR's, allow people with 220/30/70 toons quick access to other professions with out the time sink, increase all xp/sk/axp/research gains. Introduce more varying weapon types, make them viable and balanced. That way if i am boarded with pistols i can switch to grenades just for something different. At this point I do not care if i can reach the same exact ar with every weapon type. Let the players move away from a 10 year old game with cookie cutters to something with variance.

Make different style pvp games, capture the flag, king of the hill etc etc etc, rotate them hourly or something like that on the battle stations. Start in game minigames with cred rewards. I dont care if you have to patch and nerf weekly anymore.

Make quests with significant higher xp/sk rewards, that take no more than 30 mins each to complete. Make every in game item mission rollable or quest rewardable again. Make sure every thing can be done soloable, but have higher reward or faster out put for teaming. Because lets face it, there will not be enough people left playing in a year or so to do todays beast or 12 man with out exploiting, so make it so people who refuse to exploit can have the same access to gear.

Go ahead and instance towersites as well, just leave a few non instanced to give the few remaining people who care something to fight over. Make it a daily xp bonus so whomever controls it that day gets an extra 10 % xp for their side.

Start guild research, with a daily cap on transfer amounts to each toon, that way i can use my 220 to actually help a 150 level at least once a day.

Just start deleting the whiners from posting in the forums again, you already lost the players that this would effect anyway the last time forums were shutdown, and other individual detractors have been individually banned as well i am sure. You need to do this too keep the doomsday criers from convincing anyone else they are right and leaving the game also.

in other words, remove all obstacles from playing the game, both socially and in game. The number one game in america right if not the world is farmville ffs, if that game can be as simple and stupid as it is and have as many micro transactions and players as it does, not only do i say AO can survive the dumbing down, I sternly suggest it needs it in order to survive.

JUST DO SOMETHING, delaying game advances time and time again is inaction. Please save your time typing about why its better to release a perfect item late than something crappy on time, because "on time" passed a long time ago.
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

How come AOC would have to release new engine before us ? we were there way before and more we financed it. happy week end all.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsslaves View Post
    And this is where I unsubscribe and spend my money on a better P2P game.
    A few years ago you said you'd release the engine, now you're saying you might put out a beta version? Doesn't sound like dedicated work, Guild Wars is only 20 levels but i'm sure it's better.
    I can tell you GW is nowhere near as good But hey, that's your prerogative ^^

Quote Originally Posted by algoreith View Post
    How come AOC would have to release new engine before us ? we were there way before and more we financed it. happy week end all.
    Because the AoC team is the one developing the engine. And no, AO did not finance it.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

you seem to know alot , and your professionnal, are you guys paid for play or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I can tell you GW is nowhere near as good But hey, that's your prerogative ^^

Guild wars is a fine game, and its free once bought. No subscriptions. The misconception is that Leveling up is the important thing in that game it is not, acquiring the "skill" is..

The PVP in GW is awesome good. Infact you could have a pvp account with full equipment right now with out ever having pve'd one minute. Kinda like buying a 220/30/70 with full beast/ai armor etc...

Just do not xpect to pve with that toon. As far as balance goes.... well they have had thier ups and downs, BUT it has never been as unbalanced as AO is and has always been. There are some builds that are better than others, and conversely counter builds to the awesome builds etc etc. team PVP is way better, your build and your team mates build can simply be 16 skills instead of 8, or it can be 6 6 and 4 etc etc etc. You think playing ao with 2 accounts is intense try GW.

But the game does lack something, mostly social aspects, and avatar attachment. I do not need to get into why, but it does.
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Lackofgravy View Post
    /trolls post

wheres klod? I DEMAND A KLOD!
    Klod had a hearth attack when he saw the MPs are the next. Atm all avaliable MP is metaphysicaly trying to save his life summoning their Mortificant. Ever if his body dies, we will transfer his mind to a Metaphysical gem and he will be able to come and troll again. No worries. KLOD WILL STAY WITH US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    *twiddles thumbs waiting for the MP document*

Just bear in mind you have a lot of expectations riding on that document. By this point, some MPs won't be content with anything less than a blatant godmode button or instagibber.
    YUZ1!!!! MPs need to pwnz hard after rebalance! We deserve it.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by algoreith View Post
    you seem to know alot , and your professionnal, are you guys paid for play or what?
    Professionals represent that profession's community, he is a volunteer and does not get paid. Appreciated it and move on =D
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I'm just wondering, is the keeper clarion call going to go live with new engine or when can we expect that wonderous bit of coding

Just because it will be forgotten by the time the engine does not release for an "early" beta during quarter 1 or 2, remember he strategically inserted the word "hope" into that statement. .

He would rather make us wait a whole year more than release something that we the community will be unhappy about.
    May be better to release something while there still is a community to release it to.

FWM up all day and we are at page 3... Sad.

of course we're only at page 3, there's nothing for the trolls to troll about, he gave hoped dates and other info, now the trolls are just trying to make up stuff.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Can I be the thread troll?
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast