Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - February 25th, 2011 - The dust is settling

Well folks it is with a sad heart that I wish to announce that I'm Leaving game I have had enough. I would like to say that I have had 6 wonderful Years here with AO and Have made a lot of friends but its sadly time to leave and look for new lands to explore else where in the universe. I was hoping the engine would appear but it didn't and that was that really. I would like to say thanks to all though's that have helped me over the years and wish U all a good life. I'll pop in from time to time on my froob account just to say hi but I suspect that I'll get to engrossed in another game. But have fun all and be Good!!- and if u can't buy a pushchair!
    Datch (RK2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwop View Post
    I don't have a monster system, but AO runs fine on this.

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT x2, SLI bridged
    Intel Duo core 3.0 Ghz whatever that means.
    Can't be bothered digging up the threads but iirc AO isn't using your graphics card for graphics rendering etc, it's running on a very old version of DirectX.

If anything even on an average to low spec PC/laptop setup the new graphics engine will run smoother than the current one.
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Find some screenshots of the new engine being used in AoC.. quite a difference.
    A difference only for the people who have high spec hardware.

For the rest of us with 2 core CPUs + GF 8800 class cards, the game actually looks worse then before, because we have to cut details down much, much more, to get the similar FPS performance that we used to have when the game "didn't look so pretty".

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Really? I personally passed 1100 days played a while ago, over the last 6 years. I know alot of ppl who play much more than I do too.
    Dude, that's full 24 hours of play every second day. I sure hope you are just taking those numbers out of your ass, in other case, you and those that play much more then that, have some serious issues.
    Last edited by -Klod-; Feb 28th, 2011 at 14:06:32.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    A difference only for the people who have high spec hardware.

For the rest of us with 2 core CPUs + GF 8800 class cards, the game actually looks worse then before, because we have to cut details down much, much more, to get the similar FPS performance that we used to have when the game "didn't look so pretty".
    Somehow I doubt that :|
    Dude, that's full 24 hours of play every second day. I sure hope you are just taking those numbers out of your ass, in other case, you and those that play much more then that, have some serious issues.
    I was thinking that as well, but I guess if you play 2-3 accounts a day you can cheat.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Somehow I doubt that :|
    And again, maybe I just can't accept the fact that it's time for me to upgrade the damned thing. But for AoC only (or AO in the near future), I most certainly won't.

Seriously, I'm not trolling on this one. The game indeed became a resource hog, since the last time I actively played, with zero, or near zero visual improvement, from my point of view, when compared to pre-Khitai version of the same thing, on the same hardware, with Win7 x64 upgrade only (from regular 32 bit WinXP).
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmouse View Post
    Can't be bothered digging up the threads but iirc AO isn't using your graphics card for graphics rendering etc, it's running on a very old version of DirectX.
    this is true, with the exception of texture quality. try running ao on a pc/laptop with onboard video, then run ao on a computer with a good video card, with texture filtering quality set to 'very high', AF set to 16 and AA set to 16. regarding rendering, your likely right, except that modern video cards (nvidia at least; G80 and newer) have built in CPU capabilities that assist the CPU when its taxed. so even with how old ao is, a good video card does make a world of difference.

On Board Quality

Video Card Full Quality
    Last edited by SoapTarder; Feb 28th, 2011 at 19:17:32.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Klod, I have a E8400 with a 250GTS and 4gb of ram and I can play AoC with effects at max at 1680x1050 rez while getting between 30 to 50 FPS in populated areas.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

AMD PhenomII x4 3.1gHz and a geforce 9800 GT, AoC 1600x900 runs at 30-50+ fps at all times - even on my older spec machine it runs just fine (never drops below "playable" 24 fps). Integrating that engine into AO (where even some monster rigs only get 10-15 FPS with many driver versions) will be an across the board improvement. Remember that even after the engine upgrade AO will still have lower poly counts and lower res textures than AoC, most likely cutting the power that it needs to render a given scene in half or less. Comparing the Dreamworld engines performance in AoC to the Dreamworld engine performance in AO is very apples to oranges.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

And again, maybe I just can't accept the fact that it's time for me to upgrade the damned thing. But for AoC only (or AO in the near future), I most certainly won't.

Seriously, I'm not trolling on this one. The game indeed became a resource hog, since the last time I actively played, with zero, or near zero visual improvement, from my point of view, when compared to pre-Khitai version of the same thing, on the same hardware, with Win7 x64 upgrade only (from regular 32 bit WinXP).
    Dunno, I have an 8800 GT lying around, maybe I should slap it in and give AoC a swing. I might be wrong after all.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

And how do we get into the beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillkeeping View Post
    Did I interest you? Look for my thread "how to make pvp funner" In the balance discussion for further clarification. More specifically, page 2, Hvyshadows makes some interesting statements with regards to what kind of population he'd like AO to have.
    Um... I'm pretty sure I never said a thing about what kind of population that I'd like to see in that thread.

{checks page 2}

Yup, nothing there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

i know what kind of population i really would like to see in ao again...

...a healthy one
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0 View Post
    i know what kind of population i really would like to see in ao again...

...a healthy one
    Werd
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Funcom employee

Dunno, I have an 8800 GT lying around, maybe I should slap it in and give AoC a swing. I might be wrong after all.
    i still run an old 8800GT in my home system, and it runs aoc perfectly fine. infact it can run two instances of aoc at the same time without issue.

i dont have everything totally maxed (they are set very high).. cause i'm too lazy to go into the settings and muck around with them.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Good old Geforce 8XXX Series, brings back memories

atm i play at PhenomII X4 with 4*3.0 Ghz and Radeon HD5770 and 4Gb Ram... it works pretty fine for ao and aoc, so have no reason to argue in the one or the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwop View Post

EDIT: I agree with Still that part of the rebalance should include a look at the new player experience. Make low level weapons and armour sold in the shop terminals affordable, either by reducing their value or increasing the credits earned from missions, and/or looting mobs.

The Profession Implants terminals were a terrific idea. Maybe we could replace the existing weapon and armour terminals with Profession Weapons and Armour Terminals that sell individual pieces of the same QL of a given type to make a full set. Say, for example, have the Agent/Fixer Terminal in the Basic Store sell QL 25 pieces of Leather Armour, QL 50 Leather Armour, and also a QL 25 and 50 Gripo for the Agents and QL 25 and 50 Mausser Particle Streamer for the Fixers.

The Advanced Store could sell Sid's Leather Armour at QL 75 and 100, and maybe replace the Gripo (which ends at QL 50) with a QL 75 and 100 Tsakachumi for the Agents, and a QL 75 and 100 Mausser for the Fixers.

The Superiour Store would have these at QL 125. Maybe replace the Sid's Leather Armour with basic Steel Ribbed.

Of course, there would still be much better options available to players, but they wouldn't feel totally lost and confused by the massive amount of worthless crap in the shops. Does anyone remember what a mess the implant and cluster terminals used to be at launch? That issue was resolved with the Profession Implants Terminals, and a reorganization of the cluster terminals. The same fix needs to be applied to weapons and armour.
    See this is the perfect idea. I dont want perenniums and mortiig beaters being sold in the basic shops for uh like 10k credits. When you just started the game, even a weapon as simple as a gripo-com or tsakamuchi can be impossible to get (since at level 25 you need like a ql 50 rifle, which means killing level 50ish mobs....)

I'm glad I found a respected member of the community to agree with me

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Um... I'm pretty sure I never said a thing about what kind of population that I'd like to see in that thread.

{checks page 2}

Yup, nothing there.
    You are right. It wasn't you, it was Kazeran. (Vague comment how AO should appeal to a small minority of elite players, not the vast kiddy base aimed at by other games, so I think I misconstrued his post anyway.)

Please accept my apology mate. I'm lashing out so quick I don't even take the time to double check to make sure I'm flaming the right man.

Damn, this is embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Labret View Post
    Shenanigans on the new engine....
    This.
    Still waiting for a reason to come back...

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Where do you sign up for the engine beta?
    Oz.

Just follow the... well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Really? I personally passed 1100 days played a while ago, over the last 6 years. I know alot of ppl who play much more than I do too.
    6 years x 365 days/year = 2190
    So you are literally spending half of your life playing AO. For many people it is not possible because of jobs, families, school.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast