Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 4th, 2011 - Montreal Party Registration

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    omg people can't get sick at the same time!!1!
    Ok look man. Since you are not going to let this go, here is the timeline:

Feb. 24th: Thursday. Kintaii gets sick. Heads home early from work.
    Feb. 25th: Friday. Kintaii stays home. Genele starts feeling kinda rough.
    Feb. 26th/27th: Parsed & Means start feeling ill. Genele gets officially sick.
    Feb. 28th: Macro comes down ill. Parsed officially sick. Means somehow manages to avoid the majority of it. Kintaii still in bed and delirious.
    March 1st - 4th: EVERYBODY IS SICK.
    March 7th: People *still* aren't 100% fantastic but we're back at work because this is what we do.

There's your timeline. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Kintaii; Mar 7th, 2011 at 21:10:11. Reason: Date correction
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Don't let Kopecz bait you.. He could stretch this out forever. If you don't feed them they will look elsewhere for food.
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

I think someone should try "espen askeladd"'s aproach. The guy from (norwegian) folklore who had a eating contest with the trolls, and won because he cheated.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    People who got sick: Kintaii, Genele, Means, Parsed, Macrosun
    That's only 5, so my statement is still accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Funcom employee

That's only 5, so my statement is still accurate.
    That's the entirety of the team here in Montreal. That is us here in Canada at the moment. Artists are still in Oslo, Metaing and Lindelu still working remote. The statement is correct - The AO team was sick. Stop nitpicking. :P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

u all miss the point... nobody would complain about a delay because the staff is ill.

people only complain because there are delays every single week... can't remember a given timeframe that actually was true/hold/not delayed.

guess if someone would just go thru all the FWMs it would be a outstanding statistic which actually happened as announced...

that makes people go emo on forums - and i completely understand those... those few that are left that means...
    most gave up or left already... if it goes on in this pace soon there will be only "FC WE LOVE YOU! DRAW A SPIDER AND I AM HAPPY" pandaheads left...

was the same on the german servers, fanbois fought hard and won and won and won... and in the end *poof* server empty and gone.
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

That's the entirety of the team here in Montreal. That is us here in Canada at the moment. Artists are still in Oslo, Metaing and Lindelu still working remote. The statement is correct - The AO team was sick. Stop nitpicking. :P
    Well i guess that does account for the rest of the team. But really this is a /facepalm worthy admission. As you so aptly pointed out, part of the team wasn't even exposed to the flu. So where are those non-graphical, non-rebalance goodies with a coder, a content designer and artists still functional? See what we keep saying about excuses?
    Last edited by Kopecz; Mar 7th, 2011 at 20:05:34.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

btw, it's still raining in the BS daily building... that's only a flag that needs to be set.

maybe somebody should do it =)
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0 View Post
    "FC WE LOVE YOU! DRAW A SPIDER AND I AM HAPPY"
    I don't actually like spiders though. Can I ask them to keep drawing sexy social items?
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Funcom employee

Well i guess that does account for the rest of the team. But really this is a /facepalm worthy admission. As you so aptly pointed out, part of the team wasn't even exposed to the flu. So where are those non-graphical, non-rebalance goodies with a coder, a content designer and artists still functional? See what we keep saying about excuses?
    One of two people (with only a few minor exceptions) write Friday with Means - Myself, or Means. WE WERE BOTH SICK. Meaning that if both the people who coordinate and write FwM are ill, we can't interface with people across the ocean and be all "Hey guys, mind tossing me something so we can put it up in this week's thread?" This is because we were a little busy BEING SICK. We showed nothing because we were ill and didn't have the ability/time/wherewithall/mental facilities to snag stuff from everyone else across the globe. WE WERE SICK. We were too busy coughing up lungs, rolling around in bed delirious, or otherwise trying to keep ourselves from being as miserable as we were. What you got was a quickie "hey guys we're sick, sorry" note because WE WERE SICK. Just because WE WERE SICK, however, doesn't mean that stuff didn't happen with the few peeps lucky enough to be across the pond and untouched by the plague - It means that WE WERE SICK and couldn't write about it because WE WERE SICK.

Hell, I *still* haven't gotten my voice back. We're all sitting up here coughing loud enough that the QA folks behind us are both highly amused and slightly terrified for their lives. Poor Macrosun sounds like he's about to fall over and die; I can only communicate through forceful whispers, in-between hacking up the spare lungs I've managed to accumulate over the last few years. There's no /facepalm-worthyness here; there's just you being unwilling to accept the simple fact that WE WERE SICK.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Since it seems to be the popular thing, I'd like to get my own soapbox out. I apologise beforehand for this but I've got to get it out of my system.

I'm so sick of all the people passing their holier-than-thou condemnation of a group of people in this thread and it's a bit hypocritical of me to give it back, but hey, it has to be said.

This community is appalling.

The forums are in a terrible state right now and it is utterly delusional to think that traffic on the forums has increased or that the community has become more open. Exactly the opposite has happened. The number of active users has dwindled and the number of flames and personal attacks per active head is far, far higher. Exclusivity is rising constantly.

To the happy community:

The people who express concern about how FC is doing things, or would like more information about development are people who love the game, put God knows how much time, money and work into AO. They are NOT, repeat, NOT trolls and haters. They care about the game just as much as you do. That's why they complain, why they ask for more from FC.

When you tell them to GTFO if they don't like it, go play another game, attack them for being "demanding" and feeling "entitled", when you tell them what terrible people they are while in the same paragraph despairing for the state of the community and the number of trolls, it is you who are riling things up, you who are the troll (as you would define it), and it is you who are letting down the community.

The way people were treated in this thread is just awful. What the 'haters' were accused of in this thread did not even happen. In fact it happened not to the devs but to a player, one who said themselves how offended they felt. And yet a whole load of you descended here with your condemnation of them, your words of disappointment in them. It was sickening to watch and far worse than anyone at all who addressed the devs.

The way people are lynched for expressing disappointment or asking for more information is unforgivable. It creates far more negative an atmosphere than complaints, even rude ones. People are leaving the forums because they don't want to post for fear they will be attacked. Not by some evil non-human troll, but by you.

If it hasn't been over-used in this thread - Shame on you.

To FC:

FwM is a great way of keeping the community updated and no-one is asking that you stop. It's great and we thank you for it.

People are concerned about the content of the blogs, that much is obvious. You know there is a problem and you know where it comes from. It doesn't matter if it's your personal fault or not that things were slow this week. But whoever writes Fw(o)M is representing FC and the interests of AO. It is highly disappointing to the community to read so often about what didn't get done rather than what did.

But we are on your side. You want to get things done and we want to see them get done. Disappointment is normal. You must be disappointed yourselves at all the setbacks. It is not an attack on you.

People who are concerned and make complaints are not your enemies! Even if they are rude, they are not just trolls to be dismissed.

To ARK:

It's not working. Here is the evidence.

I'm sure this will change nothing. I'm sure I will be flamed and attacked for this. I'm sure I will be labelled as a hater or a troll, condemned for not being sympathetic enough with the devs. But hey, that would kind of just prove my point.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0 View Post
    u all miss the point... nobody would complain about a delay because the staff is ill.

people only complain because there are delays every single week... can't remember a given timeframe that actually was true/hold/not delayed.

guess if someone would just go thru all the FWMs it would be a outstanding statistic which actually happened as announced...

that makes people go emo on forums - and i completely understand those... those few that are left that means...
    most gave up or left already... if it goes on in this pace soon there will be only "FC WE LOVE YOU! DRAW A SPIDER AND I AM HAPPY" pandaheads left...

was the same on the german servers, fanbois fought hard and won and won and won... and in the end *poof* server empty and gone.
    This...

No one would say a thing if u delayed content cause of illness but when u delay every thing u announce ppl start doubting in "reasons" of delay and generally gets sick of ur incompetence.

Going emo rage on forums is normal thing cause that's the only way ppl can express their unsatisfaction, however pointless it is...
    Last edited by Kintaii; Mar 7th, 2011 at 20:50:23. Reason: Removed profanity
    Xarr 220/30/70 Atrox Keeper
    Xarrdas 220/30/70 Solitus Engineer
    Wrathwithin 220/26/70 Atrox Agent
    Drimarcus 220/22/60 Opifex Shade
    Mycurse 214/18/42 Solitus Soldier
    Backend 150/20/40 Opifex MA
    Leethium 200/20/60 Opifex Bureaucrat

I think a major contributing factor to the "mood" of the forums is frustration.

People are simply frustrated.

The "Haters" are frustrated with constant phony deadlines. The "Fanbois" are frustrated with having to defend FC all the time. The Mods are frustrated having to clean up the mess.

If the "Haters" didn't want this game to be great, they wouldn't bother posting and would move on to another game. If the "Fanbois" ... well they obviously want the game to be great but the "Haters" think they give FC too much slack. The poor Mods are caught in the middle.

Everyone is frustrated because there is a major lack of accountability going on right now. The "Fanbois" think the "Haters" need to be accountable for their behavior, and they are right. The "Haters" think FC should be accountable to some higher source that gets them to make deadlines. The Mods think everyone should be accountable to act like human beings.

How do we solve it? Everyone starts showing some accountability.

I suppose I would have to throw my hat in the ring with the "Haters", because I'm getting frustrated with the missed "deadlines". I wish FC would throw us a few gestures that show they recognize that. Come on, Means used to apologize for the missed deadlines. Check the old FWMs. Now? We get silence.

At the same time, we "Haters" need to chill out.

Also, the "Fanbois" need to get off the "Haters" backs. Everyone should be entitled to express their satisfaction, or dissatisfaction, with the progress of development without you all pouncing on us like rabid monkeys.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    I think a major contributing factor to the "mood" of the forums is frustration.

The "Haters" are frustrated with constant phony deadlines. The "Fanbois" are frustrated with having to defend FC all the time. The Mods are frustrated having to clean up the mess.

If the "Haters" didn't want this game to be great, they wouldn't bother posting and would move on to another game. If the "Fanbois" ... well they obviously want the game to be great but the "Haters" think they give FC too much slack. The poor Mods are caught in the middle.

Everyone is frustrated because there is a major lack of accountability going on right now. The "Fanbois" think the "Haters" need to be accountable for their behavior, and they are right. The "Haters" think FC should be accountable to some higher source that gets them to make deadlines. The Mods think everyone should be accountable to act like human beings.

How do we solve it? Everyone starts showing some accountability.

I suppose I would have to throw my hat in the ring with the "Haters", because I'm getting frustrated with the missed "deadlines". I wish FC would throw us a few gestures that show they recognize that. Come on, Means used to apologize for the missed deadlines. Check the old FWMs. Now? We get silence.

At the same time, we "Haters" need to chill out.

Also, the "Fanbois" need to get off the "Haters" backs. Everyone should be entitled to express their satisfaction, or dissatisfaction, with the progress of development without you all pouncing on us like rabid monkeys.
    So much this. Except that I'm not in the ring of the "haters" so much as I'd be in the ring with the "mods."

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    People are simply frustrated. x4
    Agreed.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Feb. 29th: EVERYBODY IS SICK.
    Yeah.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    Yeah.
    Feb. 29th, March 1st, same difference. ;P Told you guys I wasn't 100% yet. ><
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Feb. 29th, March 1st, same difference. ;P Told you guys I wasn't 100% yet. ><
    I don't suppose there's any chance that, if Means or you are up for it, an update could be posted earlier than Friday this week about the other "non-graphics non-rebalance stuff" that Means said he was planning on talking about? Just curious

Yes I realize I could just wait until this Friday, but I'd really like to hear some news
    Last edited by LyrLazarus; Mar 7th, 2011 at 21:48:22.

Means, Kintaii, and the crew, should all get t-shirts with the "Still Alive" logo printed on them, and post piccies on the forums to let us know they're all getting better.

It would be a great way to sign off on all the flu rubbish, and allow us to focus on more important things.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Redesine View Post
    ***ENTIRE COMMENT***
    This has to be the best comment of the whole thread! Sums it up very nicely. Pure awesome.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast