Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 4th, 2011 - Montreal Party Registration

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    I remember one flu I had, even living in the same region my entire life (don't forget that strains mutate based on many things, environment included so the flu in Norway is different then in Quebec; thus their immune system is not prepared to fight it) that had me either by a toilet or a bed for an entire week. Not all flu is the kind you get where you get to skip school and sit and watch tv all day, some of them are vomiting every time you think of eating something and draining what little energy your malnourished body still has.
    Man, thats not a flu, at least not what I undestand about flu. Maybe the flu and the "strong flu" have the same name in english ;x I apologize if thats the case.

Btw...
    "Weak Flu"[en] = Resfriado[pt] = Annoying sneezes.
    Flu[en] = Gripe[pt] = Annoying sneezes, cough and lil feeling of "I dont wanna eat"
    "Strong Flu"[en] = Virose[pt] = Strong flu, have many variations. Fever, Muscle pain, Diarrhe, Vomiting... or any combination of things above.

If all of you devs with gimped immunity armor got the strong flu, then <3 get better!

EDIT: @SultryVoltron They prolly got the flu inside the airplane.
    Last edited by lainbr; Mar 5th, 2011 at 16:53:49. Reason: Anarrina didnt saw teh apologize :x dun hate me
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    Man, thats not a flu, at least not what I undestand about flu. Maybe the flu and the "strong flu" have the same name in english ;x I apologize if thats the case.

Btw...
    Flu[en] = Gripe[pt] = Annoying sneezes, cough and lil feeling of "I dont wanna eat"
    "Strong Flu"[en] = Virose[pt] = Strong flu, have many variations. Fever, Muscle pain, Diarrhe, Vomiting... or any combination of things above.

If all of you devs with gimped immunity armor got the strong flu, then <3 get better!

Generally, anything that doesn't put you in bed for a week, is a cold. Though I know some people like to over play the word flu for a bad cold.

No clue how bad the dev team had it, so I'm not going to comment :P

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    You have no idea of the FC employee's work arrangements with their employer and if they are fulfilling those expectations. Your post is 100% ignorance.
    I don't have to have insider knowledge. I just have a real-world expectation, being an employee and having employees of what is expected. If my manager didn't show up to work for a week or if AN ENTIRE STAFF CAUGHT SOME VIRULENT VIRUS STRAIN I'd want a damn good explanation for why work wasn't completed. Can you imagine a retail store shutting its doors for a week? Customers' would take their business elsewhere. Oh wait! That's what's happening here! OMG coincidence?!!

Perhaps nano documents aren't on FC corporate's list of things needing to be accomplished, but it's damn sure on the customers'.

Still the question remains:
    Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    How does an entire dev team all come down with the flu in the same week?

Do you guys have regular sessions of coughing on eachother to ensure yourselves the maximum amount of infection?
    The answer is that they don't. Plain and simple. Or else someone is still in the office to accomplish SOMETHING. As we have NOTHING it's just an excuse.

@The Fanboys:
    Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    They are all in the same work area and transfered from another location to where they are now, it makes sense that it would infect them all.
    Listen to this guy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    When I get the flu my boss sends me home so I don't infect everyone else. When you go into work sick then every one else gets sick, and nothing gets done.
    My boss would STILL expect me to show up for work and if I was really infectious send my ass home. It's something called personal responsibility, something the dev team seems to be lacking.
    Last edited by Kopecz; Mar 5th, 2011 at 01:44:28.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

@Kopecz Your boss is a bad boss. 90% of bosses accept a phonecall, unless the person tends to lie a way to much and the boss noticed it.

And... about deadlines:
    You got a work to be done in day X, but you got some kind of problem (personal problems, a strong disease) and didnt managed to finish it in day X, but you did.... lets say.... 50% of the work.
    A good boss will answer: "Okay, try to finish it the quickiest you can and tell ppl we needed to delay it a bit"
    A bad boss will fire you, ever if you are an exemplar worker and just had a problem.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    I don't have to have insider knowledge. I just have a real-world expectation, being an employee and having employees of what is expected. If my manager didn't show up to work for a week or if AN ENTIRE STAFF CAUGHT SOME VIRULENT VIRUS STRAIN I'd want a damn good explanation for why work wasn't completed. Can you imagine a retail store shutting its doors for a week? Customers' would take their business elsewhere. Oh wait! That's what's happening here! OMG coincidence?!!

Perhaps nano documents aren't on FC corporate's list of things needing to be accomplished, but it's damn sure on the customers'.

Still the question remains:

The answer is that they don't. Plain and simple. Or else someone is still in the office to accomplish SOMETHING. As we have NOTHING it's just an excuse.

My boss would STILL expect me to show up for work and if I was really infectious send my ass home. It's something called personal responsibility, something the dev team seems to be lacking.
    Hehehehehe I laughed a bit on this post. I was about to post something of this sort when I realize two things;namely,
    A) I was recently sick myself with some sort of flu and it sucked.
    B) Moaning about how AO needs the dev team the size of WoW's won't make it any more of a probability.

At heart, everyone who attacks Kopec needs to realize what we all want is a massive influx of money into Funcom's coffers and a friendly exec who decides to invest heavily into an awesomely reworked AO 2.

In the meantime, I hope Means and Co. all get better soon! Because being sick, even with basically just a cold, sucks big time. Especially in the winter.

I guess Kopecz boss is a doctor since he can tell if someone is really infectious.

Usually whenpeople get a flu shot, it's typically for the strain that is likely to be spreading at that time. Even then, it's not a definitive guarentee you won't get it just that if you do receive it, the symptoms would be less. If the FC crew didn't get inoculated for the local strain before arriving, then they're more likely to receive it than those that have.

A virus like the flu is relatively easy to spread. I remember a few years back my entire office was shut down because everyone had the caught the Norwalk virus. I was off on the weekend when people that had it were supposedly in the office but on Monday I arrived and went home shortly after that feeling so miserable for the next few days that I didn't know when I was going to get better. So the people don't even have to be in the office at the time, just have to spread to contamination to surfaces that people will use (door knobs, desks, etc).
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Waldgeist View Post
    it ceased to be funny after 1st 1. It can be deutche ya knaw.
    -outdated-
    Belven 220/19 fix < kinda retired
    Ishtardiya 220/24 crat < main dd setup
    Maryska 215/9 sold < boooooooring
    Yarpen 213/8 eng < ts hoe
    Trammy 165/3 nt < kiter
    Mangolia 167/6 nano enf
    Katchem 72/0 neut shade < phun, one day, i guess
    Zuoo 99/x neut doc

no longer playing

My personal favourite:
    if you know a delay is coming: announce it
    If the person in charge of the document staying home Tuesday because of flu, it already -there- is predictable that a delay is coming as flu generally lasts a week.
    It doesn't need to be time-consuming task either, as it is only needed when an announced/promised deadline is being delayed.

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

We used to get the flu vaccine on the same day. All of us. So we would all be sick (but we still worked) on the same days and all be over it roughly about the same time.
    Waiting for a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc View Post
    I guess Kopecz boss is a doctor since he can tell if someone is really infectious.
    Hey! Running a fever is a sure sign you're infectious. Didn't need a doctorate for that one. Oh yeah, coughing is another sign that you're probably infectious. Gee wonder how many years I had to go to school to learn that

It's not that I don't feel sympathy for those suffering from illness, but this sort of thing seems to happen with a certain regularity with this team. It's never just one person doing one thing; the entire dev team is sick, the entire dev team is on vacation, the entire dev teams' kids have a soccer game, etc ad nauseum. This was kind of the last straw of excuses for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    if you know a delay is coming: announce it
    If the person in charge of the document staying home Tuesday because of flu, it already -there- is predictable that a delay is coming as flu generally lasts a week.
    Special Tuesday With Vhab: "Kintaii and Genele are sick this week. MP document moved back to a later date, but the artists are still in the building and working hard on new textures to be revealed Friday." would be nice to see instead of waiting for the excuses on Friday.

I got a flu for 4 days till now. No work skip, no study skip. ;o Its just annoying. I cant ever imagine if ppl stay home due flu here, nobody would go work for half year!
    Then you don't have influenza, sorry. Its not something you can flub off as nothing. Either you have a cold, or you have gastroenteritis, but you don't have the flu.

Also, stop accusing anyone of lying, stop sniping at each other. Expression disappointment or disagreement is acceptable, but the vitriolic flaming around here is way over the top. Do not make me come back here and have to clean this up again.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 5th, 2011 at 09:59:40.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Btw...
    This is a cold.

This is also a cold.

"Strong Flu"[en] = Virose[pt] = Strong flu, have many variations.
    Not really

Fever, Muscle pain,
    + severe cough, respiratory distress, malaise, sore throat, headache, {possible hypoxia, exacerbation of asthma, potentially pneumonia.}

This is influenza

Diarrhe, Vomiting...
    maybe or maybe not fever and muscle pain, dehydration, etc.

This is gastroenteritis.

or any combination of things above.
    Not entirely. Influenza MAY cause some nausea and vomiting, although this is most common with children, without the rest of the influenza symptoms, its gastroenteritis.

Influenza doesn't incubate that long. However, they don't have the proper antibodies to fight what's in Montreal right now... so they're all much more likely to get sick at the same time and in a similar fashion. (although proper handwashing and sanitizing do help). Why do you think half the athletes in the Olympic Village get sick every two years? A bunch of young, healthy people from all corners of the world mingling and sharing their... germs. That they aren't all used to.. so they all get sick.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    if AN ENTIRE STAFF CAUGHT SOME VIRULENT VIRUS STRAIN I'd want a damn good explanation for why work wasn't completed.
    Isn't that a pretty good explanation?

The work isn't completed because the entire staff is sick.

Who else should be doing the work then? Some other department?
    Then what about their work? Who does that?

It's not like they can magically get someone else to do the work when someone's down with the flu.

AO's team is the most dedicated and motivated team I've ever met.
    I'm willing to bet half of em were still trying the force out some work while sick at home.

It's unfortunate people consider Means' status updates lies.
    He simply shares what's going on and keeps you updated every week.
    This honesty is hard to find in many other development teams.

But it's your own loss either way, getting worked up and emoraging every week.
    It won't make things go faster or slower and it won't magically change the facts.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Mar 5th, 2011 at 10:11:21.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Isn't that a pretty good explanation?

The work isn't completed because the entire staff is sick.
    Not necessarily. There was no indication of this illness on the previous FwM and plans were made for the following week as if all was normal. Even considering that they moved to another country (which could weaken their immune system), it is highly unlikely that every person would get infected in the period of a few days time. It is more likely that the team would all get sick over the period of 2-3 weeks, not days.

Oh, and by the way...I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever caught Ana playing politics with his moderation skills.

Tis' funny, even if the effort is moot.

But it's your own loss either way, getting worked up and emoraging every week.
    It won't make things go faster or slower and it won't magically change the facts.
    Dont underestimate the power of a good venting..

Fanboi vs Hater

Round 2

Fight!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Influenza is the name of the virus that causes the "flu". Anybody infected by this virus can be said to have the "flu" in technical terms. In english language countries it is usual to refer to mild symptoms of an influenza infection as a "cold" while more severe situations are called a "flu".

The influenza virus has many different strains and generates new strains very often. This is because some segments of its DNA are higly unstable and mutate often.

Due to the existence of many strains, with local variations, people will react differently to an infection. People can be totally immune and show no symptoms, for people with healthy immune systems and infected with strains that they where previously infected with. They can have a light cold if they have a "not so good" immune system or are infected with a strain that is very similar to another they where previously infected with. Or they can be very sick (and in extreme cases die) if the virus is very different or they have a badly compromised immune system (AIDS patients or the "spanish flu" as examples).

This originates higly complex infection patterns. But almost always when people move to a new area in a group (or when a new strain appears in an area) the pattern is for people to get infected over time and having different degrees of severity of the symptoms, resulting in that even in a small group some people will get sick much earlier then others, and some will recover faster then the rest.

OTOH it is important to not confuse the "flu" with bacterial infections that can follow. A simple method to distinguish them is temperature and sputum color. If temperature is very high (+/- 41 C) and sputum is clear then its likely a viral infection. If the temperature is low (37,4-40 C) and the sputum is colored (yellow, green, white hard spots, brownish and with small blood stains) its more likely to be a bacterial infection.

The treatment of an influenza infection is relatively simple and is symptomatic (treatment of the symptoms not of the disease). I recommend (as a layman) to use paracetamol and ibuprofen in turn every 4 hours to reduce inflammation and pain and some medication that helps with the removal of the accumulated sputum on the nose and troath areas. ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO CORRECT DOSAGE. Hot and nutritive meals and intense sweating (the virus is more sensitive to high temperature then humans) also help a lot. OFC IN SEVERE CASES ALWAYS CONSULT A QUALIFIED DOCTOR.
    Bacterial infections require the use of antibiotics that should always (IE ALWAYS) be prescribed by a doctor.

In case of doubt or further clarification, please consult your local, qualified, medical staff.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lektronik View Post
    Not necessarily. There was no indication of this illness on the previous FwM and plans were made for the following week as if all was normal. Even considering that they moved to another country (which could weaken their immune system), it is highly unlikely that every person would get infected in the period of a few days time. It is more likely that the team would all get sick over the period of 2-3 weeks, not days.
    Sorry, I forgot everyone on this forum is a doctor with such excellent diagnostic ability they can determine the well being of the entire team based on a weekly post.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy View Post
    Dont underestimate the power of a good venting..
    Fair enough
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Fanboi vs Hater

Round 2

Fight!
    I had Haters taking the first half of the round, but Fanbois came back strong in the last half. Unfortunately, I expect this fight to be stopped soon.

Sorry, I forgot everyone on this forum is a doctor with such excellent diagnostic ability they can determine the well being of the entire team based on a weekly post.
    A new game on Reet's perhaps, guess the virulent disease?
    Liamboru 220 Engineer - Brianboru 220 Soldier - Padraigboru 150 Soldier - Tadghboru 60 Engineer - Cormacboru 15 Engineer
    ...and ofc, the army of buff hoes
    ------------------------------------
    PvPDood: Hey, come back and duel me again, I hardly ever get to fight a gimp like you! - Get a /tell like that and it sort of makes you want to evaluate what you thought was a twink!

Walker
    : Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy!
    Texas Ranger
    : I don't even know what that means, but I love it!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast