Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 4th, 2011 - Montreal Party Registration

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I've been watching a lotta crap get spewed in here and have been relatively patient with most of it.
    Just as we've been patient with you and waited week after week after week for deadlines to be met? Not trolling, that's a serious question for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lektronik View Post
    All I was doing in my previous reply was pointing out that common sense suggests that it is hard for the whole team to get sick within a matter of days. Not impossible however, just unlikely.
    Statistical probability would place this scenario somewhere in the realm of high unlikelyhood, especially considering if I was moving to a new country I'd probably have been inoculated for whatever strains of influenza were local. I find it hard to call that ignorance, more like ... common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    Hater vs Fanboi, the Hater wins viewed from any outside observer. But, the Fanboi contingent is being pocketed.
    True story
    Last edited by Kopecz; Mar 5th, 2011 at 22:08:28.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Kintaii has good reason to feel the way he does and justly so, this flu hit him the hardest, and his 40c/104f fever and a trip to the hospital left him barely able to speak. But some of you just got to bash the FWM.

Shame on you. Do you really think any of them wanted to get sick? Do you really think they are not doing the best they can to get AO on track and closer to the balance and engine update. They ARE doing everything in their power to improve AO. There will always be things that can and do go wrong, all anyone can do is deal with them the best way they can and keep moving forward. Baby steps are better than no steps at all.

AO is 'Still Alive'. I've been playing for 6 years now and I still got a 16 page 2-do list of things I want to do in AO. I might not play 14 hours a day any more, but when I do log in I'm never short of things to do, or people to do them with.

Does the delay in the graphics engine make me like AO less? No!, Is my enjoyment of AO based on the quality of the graphics? No! The only thing that really bugged me about AO I have taken it upon myself to help 'fix' If you don't know what that is, you are not a forum regular.

I take my hat off the the AO team, they are doing good work, they all want AO to be grow and have it step back into the mainstream. I believe that AO will be here for several years to come, I think it may even outlast many other MMO's. AO has a depth of detail and customization for character building that takes it above the average mmo. AO is approaching it's 10th anniversary. and it's still being 'improved' AO listens to it's community and that's a rare thing in this mmo world.

I for one am grateful for the years of enjoyment AO has given me and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment.

Nuf said.

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

1 thing to all the haters. If you are not happy with the game, move on to another game >< But stop spewing all that crap on the forums, it's not gonna suddenly make an engine drop out of the sky.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

40C fever omg D: I wish you are better now! >.<
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    stuff about how FC can do no wrong that makes the devs sound like the conglomerate second coming of Christ
    I honestly don't understand how you all can keep justifying the fact that deadlines are never met. And before the obligatory "They never gave you set deadline dates" fanboy response let me just say that two years should have been more than enough time to fix this game. Cryptic Studios has completely revamped and relaunched Champions Online as F2P in something like 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    I honestly don't understand how you all can keep justifying the fact that deadlines are never met. And before the obligatory "They never gave you set deadline dates" fanboy response let me just say that two years should have been more than enough time to fix this game. Cryptic Studios has completely revamped and relaunched Champions Online as F2P in something like 6 months.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdnFP...eature=related

Good for them?

Champions online was launched on September 1, 2009 and has most of the launch dev team and code working with it.

Everquest had a much larger dev team working on it and it never received an engine update as massive as AO is, they just went and put out EQ2. In fact I'm having trouble finding any MMO that was built before 2004 that has had an engine update done to it. The closest thing would be RuneScape, which had RunScape HD launched in July 14, 2008.

So please if you can point to some solid info, and not your personal entitlement issue that you have with the game overhaul, then please do so.

_

End point, the whole dev team can up and quit tomorrow, Funcom could freeze the game where it currently is and you're not out a single dollar. You're not paying for the dev team to build content as the content they are working to provide is a free patch. If you started paying for some prelaunch engine booster, then you could yell all you want, but as of right now the whole balance, content and engine revamp is being given to all of us free of charge.

_

Also, for all the "Tech's a fanboi" crap I seem to be holding the dev team and funcom to a higher standard than most of you whom say this. The game is not currently where I want it to be, and I'm talking about current content not the whole planed stuff that's not even out yet. On one of my engineer's I'm pretty close to god like, I can solo anything I want to, I can tank end game content with a compliant healer and have pretty much done and seen everything. The game has no challenge to me, the NPCs are DoA, the abilities are abysmal at best, and the playerbase is beyond lacking. I havn't paid for the game since before I entered the professional program, I played it long into the program but I havn't paid for it since before then. My accounts are both all as of right now as I see no reason to continue paying for the game.

Due to my feelings of where the game was headed I entered myself for the engineer professional position, something most of the whiners were not willing to do it seems. I did everything I could while professional to make the game more alive, while most content that came out during me being prof wasn't directly designed for engineers, I tried to make sure they got something out of it. I left the program do to IRL reasons, I just didn't have time for it when I exited the program. I did not leave because I thought the program was a bust, or that the dev team could not do what they said they were going to do. I've greatly enjoyed AO during the 6+ years that I have been part of it, to the point that I've wanted to see what's going on behind the curtain. Being able to do so let me apparently see what's going on more than the average player, this also let me have an understanding of just want the dev team can and can't do. I don't support them due to random reasons, or even "Because they said so on IRC." I support things they say they can, cannot due because they have been straight forward in saying so in the past. They may say they want to try to do something but then end up not able to, that's not their fault as striving to do new things is a very important part of the development process.
    Last edited by Technogen; Mar 6th, 2011 at 05:51:09.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Good for them?

Champions online was launched on September 1, 2009 and has most of the launch dev team and code working with it.
    So I shouldn't expect any progress in almost 4 years since the announcement of a graphics upgrade? None at all? Nothing tangible on any of the proposed changes, be they graphics or balance? I say tangible as all we have at this point are vague screenies and a bunch of even vaguer numbers to look at at this point. Is that really all I'm to expect? How much patience do you expect the community to possess?

You're not paying for the dev team to build content as the content they are working to provide is a free patch. If you started paying for some prelaunch engine booster, then you could yell all you want, but as of right now the whole balance, content and engine revamp is being given to all of us free of charge.
    Oh sacred one please tell me what it is I pay a subscription to this game for? If it was all free of charge I wouldn't have to pay a monthly/semi-annual/annual fee now would I? Part of subscription fees certainly go to funding this game so yes we ARE paying the dev team to build content.

Oh sacred one please tell me what it is I pay a subscription to this game for? If it was all free of charge I wouldn't have to pay a monthly/semi-annual/annual fee now would I? Part of subscription fees certainly go to funding this game so yes we ARE paying the dev team to build content.
    You're paying for access to current content, have you not read your EULA?

The game engine, the balance patch, and the content enhancement patches are free, they are not like any of the expansions, i.e. Lost Eden. You are paying for Funcom to maintain the servers, your character data, and that's about it. If you bought the expansions then you also paid a 1 time fee for that content. You are not paying for the development of the game engine, you are not paying for the development of content patches, balance patches, or even bug patches. You are paying for the game AS IS. If Funcom put out a "Pre-order Anarchy Online Engine Update" option on your account and you spent even 1 cent on this then yes you're paying for the engine and are entitled to complain about it's progression. Until Funcom does this, which they wont since it's a free patch, you are not directly funding the engine update.

Is some of your money going to the development of the game, possibly, after creating a net income needed to maintain the systems that Funcom stated they would maintain within their contract, they are free to do with any excess money in any way they see fit. They could be spending all money past server operations on hookers and blow for all it matters, and while those two are not legal, Funcom choosing how they spend their money is.

__

While I can understand waiting for 4 years for the engine can annoy some, most have to understand that the current engine has been in the works for around a year+ and the 1st generation update was scrapped after it was near completion because it could not reach completion.

Feel free to bitch about it all you want, it's 1 not going to change anything, and 2 result in you not being taken serious by people whom understand that working with freakin old code that has no documentation by 1 to 3 people is a **** ton of work.
    Last edited by Technogen; Mar 6th, 2011 at 06:17:49.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

I can't remember a time when I actually came into FWM and enjoyed reading the whole thread. I need to just stop after I read what Means has to say, this is just upsetting.

Mmhmm, it's this kind of unending, unproductive ranting that makes me wish FWM was read only, sometimes.

I'm having trouble finding any MMO that was built before 2004 that has had an engine update done to it.
    Eve.

End point, the whole dev team can up and quit tomorrow, Funcom could freeze the game where it currently is and you're not out a single dollar. You're not paying for the dev team to build content as the content they are working to provide is a free patch. If you started paying for some prelaunch engine booster, then you could yell all you want, but as of right now the whole balance, content and engine revamp is being given to all of us free of charge.
    considering that most of the players who kept subbing/returned to AO because of the "new engine" hook are mostly gone now, and all of us that keep subbing for the current game content (which honestly is A LOT better now, than when the new engine was announced) and for the continued support (no ones gonna pay for a game that has no financial support/advertising.... explains current population actually), then i would say you hit the troll on the head.

---------------------

of course, shoulda, woulda, coulda, its all in the past now, but funcom was better off making ao2 (anarchy online universe ), what with the infinitely-expansive rebalance thats covering A LOT of the current game, combined with new engine work being done, funcom freezing the current game financially wouldnt be the worst thing ever done if a brand new shiney ao2 emerged where everyone started fresh; yeah, I would personally lose a half dozen 220s and nearly a dozen or so TL 5 and 6s, along with billions of gear, but thats what is killing this game right now. too many players with everything, and new players being scared away at how much time is required to reach the top level in this game. its become a social habitat for old vets that dream of the glory days of AO, some of whom troll these forums with vicious fanboi rhetoric because they wanna marry AO and have its kids despite its ugliness and old age, or with disgruntled hate because AO should have been what WOW is now in terms of success, but never had the suger daddy corporate funding to make it that way from the get go.

Ive had too much beer says I....

get better soon Means and Co. maybe get some poutine in ya to strengthen your immune systems
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

I have said since the start that they should just scrap AO and make AO2, there's too many code snafus in AO's code, too many exploits and all that junk. They should have moved to a standard engine that they could buy long ago. *shrug* Maybe too late, now, who knows.

get better soon Means and Co. maybe get some poutine in ya to strengthen your immune systems
    Also, I think it maybe the poutine that did it, kintaii had some not long before they got sick and he's the sickest!

<@Kintaii> L2P

Okay, I didn't really want or expect to post here anymore...but I just gotta get it off my chest. While I in no way agree with Kopecz's utter disregard for the dev team's health, here's what I feel has caused most of the uproar...

From last week's FWM...

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Next week I'll take some time to speak about some of the work going on that is NOT engine or balance related...as there is a significant amount of great stuff in the pipeline that falls outside these areas.
    So, the whole team was out sick this week, but that somehow means you suddenly can't discuss all this "great stuff" you've been working on? People being sick doesn't mean the work you've been doing has changed in any sort of way, you know what's coming "in the pipeline" regardless of who's been at work this week.

You had your subject for this week's edition all planned out based on that one comment, but you couldn't even follow through on that. Just another comment to add to the extremely long list of unfulfilled statements. Nobody was expecting new engine info, screenies, or videos this week...maybe a few were expecting MP documents for some reason, but you never said last week that they'd be done, just being worked on.

So, no pressure right? Just talk about what you've been working on other than engine and rebalance...HINT: It's the same stuff you knew you'd been working on since before everyone got sick.

/phew...Okay, I can go back in to exile now.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Rambling
    Last I checked, Means was part of the AO team as well. Maybe he was out sick too? It's quite normal to not try to make words of wisdom while being terribly ill.

Personally, I'm surprised he even posted this FWM.

AO team: Ignore these forum trolls, and get well soon!
    Last edited by Demoder; Mar 6th, 2011 at 07:27:51.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

get well soon to the AO team

why i like to play AO is
    i can go into my bathroom or kitchen or or or without a msg from the system like this
    "your connection has been disconnected because you were 30 sec (5 min) afk"
    into the most of the other games i get this.

Brampfine has played 1098 days 19 hours 10 minutes 52 seconds (don´t rant my afk`ing make it better)
    I can read every afk online tell and some funny org(bot) storrys.
    Here in AO i have my friends and they pay because they know they have not wasted their time because they know that their friends also play tomorrow.
    Other games give me a feeling as if you were in the supermarket the other people pushing shopping carts behind, and at the next day they cant remember where u are.
    Has any look how many a basic engine licenses cost, and every part too and the following costs ?
    q3 base engine 350k and every addon 50k and 25% to pay from the earned money when more than 5k users....
    and then u have to pay the dev´s to create something.......who pay this ?
    Funcom got his own engine and have nothing to pay for licenses.

and i have Time to wait

edit:
    i am happy to see sometimes old friends rejoin AO
    the most curse about the other games.
    Last edited by Brampfine; Mar 6th, 2011 at 08:24:41.

Nope. I'm not going to get involved here.

Please dont mistakes these feral nerdragers for amusing trolls, FC, and ban them

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    Hater vs Fanboi, the Hater wins viewed from any outside observer. It is a miracle the entire forums are not in state of meltdown considering how patient we are expected to be.
    Exactly. Many of us feel that we've been strung along on promises that I guess many now believe were designed for that purpose alone. Stringing us along.
    That's not fair no matter how you cut it. I'm personally one of those ppl who stayed because I wanted to help the game develop through my subscriptions.
    Now I feel I've paid for something I haved recieved and probably never will. Ofcourse I'm angry Who wouldn't be?

I don't have any technical "right" to know the status of the engine. But I do have the right to now be strung along on false promises. And no, you can't keep making up excuses into infinity. It just doesn't work anymore. At some point you have to take responsibility for what you've said and promised. And it's high time that FC does that now and produces some actual evidence that the engine does exist and what the state it is in. So that the community may form their own opinion on how long it will be before it is released. Since FC itself clearly isn't capable and/or willing to make that determination.

Not because me or others will be leaving if we don't see this, but because it's the honest and right thing to do towards your faithful customers.

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    1 thing to all the haters. If you are not happy with the game, move on to another game >< But stop spewing all that crap on the forums, it's not gonna suddenly make an engine drop out of the sky.
    Not that I can or would in any way speak for any of the "haters" (other than myself) as you so eloquently label anyone who wants to voice their opinion here. But I think that many of us would want to ask ppl like you guys, equally eloquently labeled by us haters as fanboi buttmunchers, this question: If in say 2-3 years time we are (and it doesn't seem very unlikely at all, does it?) at the exact same place as we are today. Will you still be defending the constant flow of excuses, and will you still be happily paying for something you were lead to believe you would have but never got, without complaining?

In any case I would like to recommend the Democratic People's Republic of Korea for you. I hear it's a place where there are very few complaints. In fact there is nothing but praise there. That must mean that everyone is happy and that things are running perfectly there. Especially since noone is disturbing any of the glorious leaders with pesky reminders of what was promised and said earlier, right?

Stuff
    Any relations to Bagdad Bob?
    Last edited by Noobius76; Mar 6th, 2011 at 11:57:57.

Kintaii has good reason to feel the way he does and justly so, this flu hit him the hardest, and his 40c/104f fever and a trip to the hospital left him barely able to speak. But some of you just got to bash the FWM.

Shame on you. Do you really think any of them wanted to get sick? Do you really think they are not doing the best they can to get AO on track and closer to the balance and engine update. They ARE doing everything in their power to improve AO. There will always be things that can and do go wrong, all anyone can do is deal with them the best way they can and keep moving forward. Baby steps are better than no steps at all.

AO is 'Still Alive'. I've been playing for 6 years now and I still got a 16 page 2-do list of things I want to do in AO. I might not play 14 hours a day any more, but when I do log in I'm never short of things to do, or people to do them with.

Does the delay in the graphics engine make me like AO less? No!, Is my enjoyment of AO based on the quality of the graphics? No! The only thing that really bugged me about AO I have taken it upon myself to help 'fix' If you don't know what that is, you are not a forum regular.

I take my hat off the the AO team, they are doing good work, they all want AO to be grow and have it step back into the mainstream. I believe that AO will be here for several years to come, I think it may even outlast many other MMO's. AO has a depth of detail and customization for character building that takes it above the average mmo. AO is approaching it's 10th anniversary. and it's still being 'improved' AO listens to it's community and that's a rare thing in this mmo world.

I for one am grateful for the years of enjoyment AO has given me and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment.

Nuf said.

Cheers!
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Paramedic!
    The kind that jumps in with parachutes? You just made a huge leap on my 'awesome-list'!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast