Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - March 18th, 2011: Pretty Pictures Of Stuff

Funcom employee Friday with(out) Means - March 18th, 2011: Pretty Pictures Of Stuff

Hey guys! Means is a little busy this week and was wanting some good ideas for today's post, so I convinced him to let me show off a few things that we're working on graphically here on the AO team to prepare for the new engine update. I should warn you - This isn't a long post today but it's a little technical, so hold onto your hats (i'm also feeling slightly uncreative so enjoy the thread title). ;P

As all of you read over the last few weeks we're still ironing out various issues with the new engine which, unfortunately, has caused a slight delay in its planned release. This is a bit of a double-edged sword in a way, because while we would really (and I mean *really*) love to get the engine out into the wild as soon as possible, this does give our talented artists MstrBstrd and Flaptoot (and the great guys over in our Beijing office) a chance to work on creating more and more new resources that are capable of taking advantage of the new engine's power. Work is progressing steadily on creating (and recreating) these assets for the game, and we figured that it'd be a good opportunity to show you guys some of the awesome stuff that our art squad has cranked out recently in preparation for the new engine.

Something I wanna note before you guys start digging into these pictures is that these are all taken in what we refer to as the "Cheetah Previewer". This is basically a plugin for 3Ds MAX that we've created which displays new models/meshes/etc in a way that fairly accurately emulates the working engine environment, all without having to put them into the game itself (something that can be a time-consuming process even under the best of conditions). In other words these pictures aren't *technically* taken from within the new engine, but very, very close to it - Getting them to display in the engine itself right now requires work from Parsed too who, at the moment, is generally better off spending his time getting code tweaks and alterations into the engine instead of inserting new shiny resources every two or three days.

Anyhoo, I'm going to sit back and mainly let the pictures talk for themselves - We've got pieces from Rome, Omni-Entertainment (clan areas are up next on the artists plate, before anyone says anything ), a mock-up scene using Borealis resources, some of the new trees and rocks, some various stuff that MstrBstrd has been working on in his spare time, and other such goodies. It's a little hard some times to tell exactly what's changed between these assets and the old ones without looking at stuff directly side-by-side, but I promise you the difference is definitely there and is very striking when you have a chance to directly compare the old vs. the new. Again, these are just raw assets shown off in a previewer - These are *not* currently in the engine, though they will be and will look pretty much like they do now (but with much, much better lighting than the previewer has, which adds a looooooooooooot).

One special thing I want to note is the last picture, nanomagemale.jpg - This picture is kinda special in that it is entirely new resources; new character head from China, new body mesh, new weapon designed by MstrBstrd, and the Pandemonium Beast armour set redone by Flaptoot in zBrush for high-detail and with normalmaps and the like turned on; all that good fun stuff. This (and the other stuff I've shown off today) *will* be in-game and is not just a mock-up; these are completed resources and assets ready for us to plug into the new engine when the time comes.

Of course not everything in the game is automagically going to look this pretty when we flip the big "New Engine" switch, mind you - It takes a lot of artist time and resources to get even the stuff that we're showing off today together, and until an artist has a chance to put time into recreating the resource/assset it won't be this shiny. We've been making great progress toward the revamp of some of our most 'commonly used' assets, though, which will help breathe a very nice new sense of life into the world of Rubi-Ka, as well as just generally look really, really cool - Hopefully you guys will be as excited with what the artists have cranked out as the rest of us are. =)

I hope everybody enjoys the pictures, and we'll see you back here next week. Cheers! =D
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

1st - oh and yes, shinies!
    Last edited by DocJones; Mar 18th, 2011 at 15:28:40.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

2nd? And forgetting something aren't we...?

tada
    packers 220 agent general of Underworld.
    xstyggax 220 mp general of Underworld.
    pakkers 220 sol member of Paradise
    Zluza 220 crat member of paradise
    Packerz 218 shade member of Paradise
    Slusa 165 doc member of Paradise
    Azulz 150 doc member of Paradise
    Sluza 118 agent member of Paradise

You forgot something.
    mp document.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

5th
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Wow wall of text and wall of pictures nice

sweeeeeeet!!!
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

10000000000000000000000000 hundred billionth!

OHHHHHH TEH SHAINIES!!
    Gustatus similis pullus.

FIRST (Page!)

Thanks for the goodies, NotMeans.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    You forgot something.
    mp document.
    Ah yeah, meant to bring this up actually - MP doc was released to the Profs this week and is going through feedback. We should hopefully (NOTE: HOPEFULLY) be able to release it to the public at some point next week. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Ah yeah, meant to bring this up actually - MP doc was released to the Profs this week and is going through feedback. We should hopefully (NOTE: HOPEFULLY) be able to release it to the public at some point next week. =)
    :< noooooooooooooooooooooo

would love more info about AS and pet change to feedback on the mp nano doc.
    Last edited by Leduc69; Mar 18th, 2011 at 15:34:01.

Leduc69 Soli MP 220/30
    Duckz Trox FIX 220/30
    Duczor Opi MA 220/25
    Theducman Nano NT 165/23
    Lazzay Soli CRAT 150/20
    Ducshot Trox TRAD 141

Chest-kicker since 2007 - http://thespartans.org

o.O ealry one. sweet stuff.

dang.. first page! (thought i was 2nd)
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Tsk. Bad NotMeans, bad!

Poor little MPs...
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

posting in a kintaii wall of text thread
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Ok Ok, many lovely images. Ty for that.... but..... where is our long awaited excel file?
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

The sooner the better the suspense is killing me!
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

I'm pretty sure the profs got his hands on it............ on last Friday....
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast