Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 11th, 2011: Full Steam Ahead

There is a great quest from pre SL that could be updated to help people get better armor after newbie armor gets old. Not sure if all factions have something like it but the concept is sound. I am talking about Tirbo Ratcatcher. That quest could be updated and he could be cloned to all start areas. How would I update it? 3 roller rat tails per piece of armor. The Armor would be non leveling QL25 (easy to equip) armor that was a full set with shoulder pads and back item. So in all ten pieces of armor for the price of 30 roller rat tails.

Armor would have stats similar to ql25 carb shoulders would be upgraded versions of newbie island pads and the back item would similar something like the vagabond cloak but with little less AAD and about 50 AC's. That puts it right between Vagabond and under TOTW cloaks.

Oh yeah and it should look Awesome. Just because we are level 20-30 does not mean we want to look like trailer trash toons. The armor should have that uber looking feel like the new social armors or something.

And there is a pretty easy way to adjust a an existing quest to be inline with current game structure and provide something that has good use value at low levels and can serve as good social armor later.

For those FC folks that read this. I am tired of all the new nice looking stuff being targeted at TL 7's. I quite enjoy my low level twinks and wish they had non itemstore options for awesome social armor.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

I've been around a while, and I think if I recall correctly we're on GD #5, let's see if I get this right, on order and what they did.

1 - Gaute Godadger (Classic AO & Notum Wars Booster PacK)
    2 - Marius Enge (Shadowlands Expansion)
    3 - Morten Byom (Alien Invasion Expansion)
    4 - Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison (Lost Eden Expansion)
    5 - Coln "Means" Crag (Legacy of the Xan Expansion)

I think Marius worked on NW before he was GD, Morten worked with Marius on SL, Means worked on both AI, LE expansions before he was GD.

I also remember FC making very public the "graphics update" in 2004, so we're over 6yrs overdue on that one. However, it was (pretty sure) Morten who dropped the ball by releasing a video and getting the whole world excited about it, had that not been announced we probably would have a bit larger population because I know people quit just because they got tired on waiting on the new engine.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Wasn't the 2004 update just a new texture pack? RK ground textures etc? I remember coming back from an AO break around that time and being like "Whoa, new ground!". I know that was done around that time, just not sure if thats the one you are referring to.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    I've been around a while, and I think if I recall correctly we're on GD #5, let's see if I get this right, on order and what they did.

1 - Gaute Godadger (Classic AO & Notum Wars Booster PacK)
    2 - Marius Enge (Shadowlands Expansion)

I think Marius worked on NW before he was GD, Morten worked with Marius on SL, Means worked on both AI, LE expansions before he was GD.

I also remember FC making very public the "graphics update" in 2004, so we're over 6yrs overdue on that one. However, it was (pretty sure) Morten who dropped the ball by releasing a video and getting the whole world excited about it, had that not been announced we probably would have a bit larger population because I know people quit just because they got tired on waiting on the new engine.
    Gaute was still director for the release of SL.

And I'm not aware of any graphic engine updates post-SL until the announced update from Sil, and the video they released using Ogre.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

I remember Gaute saying the famous line "There will be no camping in Shadowlands"
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Wasn't the 2004 update just a new texture pack? RK ground textures etc? I remember coming back from an AO break around that time and being like "Whoa, new ground!". I know that was done around that time, just not sure if thats the one you are referring to.
    There was indeed no "graphics update" to anything but ground textures prior to the talk of using OGRE, which was much later than 2004.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    There was indeed no "graphics update" to anything but ground textures prior to the talk of using OGRE, which was much later than 2004.
    The difference I noticed was probably just the fact that I went from a 400mHz Pentium II with a Stealth III gfx card to something almost modern for 2004 then
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I remember Gaute saying the famous line "There will be no camping in Shadowlands"
    I remember this too **points at avatar**
    Proud Member of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    Gaute was still director for the release of SL.

And I'm not aware of any graphic engine updates post-SL until the announced update from Sil, and the video they released using Ogre.
    You may be right, I think he said "graphics update" as in better textures, not a new graphics engine, my bad.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

the texture update was likely early 2005 iirc. It was implemented after i started playing, and theres no way i started before late 2004.
    Last edited by Worldofalts; Mar 16th, 2011 at 19:32:16.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

SL saw an update the graphics engine. They had to update it to support the larger SL play fields and allow for the varied terrain heights. It also improved performance on RK because they did some optimizing for the new nicer SL textures. That is the work that allowed them to do the texture update for RK. Also during all this the new GUI layout can into existence the old release time frame GUI was removed. On test server at the time it was joked the graphics engine update for SL was like a version 1.5 and not a complete version update.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

When did Bor change.. It didn't always have the.. sorta black top streets, nor street lights if iirc. I think the grass change was on or about that same time. This was post SL for sure because I started in fall 2003 and I remember Bor looking different back then.
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

There were some ground texture updates in like 2003/04, I keep forgetting when it was, but SG remembered it last time the subject came up on IRC you can find some patchnotes somewhere that say when the ground textures were updated.
    Also, things have been changed throughout the years here and there with the engine and such. Too many little changes to remember them all. I did find a post via the "your first post" thread in reet's where in 2002 I complained that AO didn't run well on anything and didn't have nice graphics. So, here we are something like 9 years later and we're in no better shape!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Pretty sure LoX was Sil's thing too, Means just took over mid way and finished it off.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
    When did Bor change.. It didn't always have the.. sorta black top streets, nor street lights if iirc. I think the grass change was on or about that same time. This was post SL for sure because I started in fall 2003 and I remember Bor looking different back then.
    iirc around the time they changed Old Athens
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Krattonomic View Post
    iirc around the time they changed Old Athens
    16.0, according to the aodevs wiki.. was when Old Athen and the newer ground textures were added to the game.

http://wiki.aodevs.com/wiki/Patch_16.0#Classic_Changes

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    16.0, according to the aodevs wiki.. was when Old Athen and the newer ground textures were added to the game.

http://wiki.aodevs.com/wiki/Patch_16.0#Classic_Changes
    Reading it, I just found 4 "fixed" stuff that still happens

# Pet command range, and the distance a master can stay away from an attacking pet has both been set to 42 meters. If you give a command to a pet that is outside of this range, you will receive a warning.
    # Pets will now clear their hatelist on /pet attack, /pet behind and /pet follow. This should allow their masters to help prevent them wandering off and trying to fight mobs you didn’t ask them to.
    # Pets no longer attack anything that has its master on its hatelist. Pets should now only go after those mobs that are actually attacking the master's team or their pets.
    # Corpses would sometimes not disappear...this has been fixed.
    LOL
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

LE launched in Dec 2006, while Sil succeeded Byom in Feb 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    Reading it, I just found 4 "fixed" stuff that still happens

Quote:
    # 1 Pet command range, and the distance a master can stay away from an attacking pet has both been set to 42 meters. If you give a command to a pet that is outside of this range, you will receive a warning.
    # 2 Pets will now clear their hatelist on /pet attack, /pet behind and /pet follow. This should allow their masters to help prevent them wandering off and trying to fight mobs you didn’t ask them to.
    # 3 Pets no longer attack anything that has its master on its hatelist. Pets should now only go after those mobs that are actually attacking the master's team or their pets.
    # 4 Corpses would sometimes not disappear...this has been fixed.

LOL
    maybe testlive pets act differently, and GM spawned mobs have different code for corpses disappearing? {edit} to make a corpse stay perminantly, one method involves looting everything from a corpse and moving out of looting range before loot window closes. no one else can loot it, but the corpse stays for quite some time too.

anyway, this post gave me a good laugh. pets are still so frakked up, its enough sometimes to make a whole team crack up in laughter when carlo/charmed pet goes on one of their suicide missions.
    Last edited by Worldofalts; Mar 17th, 2011 at 19:13:11.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline
    Pocket Bosses eliminate camping!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast