Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean-slate tower wipe at Re-balance Live Launch

Lets do it, blow up the towers, maybe some brave omni would then stick his/her head out on rk2, so I can put an AS in it! Good times, cause this would change everything o.O

Cheers.
    "Death is as big a part of life, as life it self".
    First wizard, Sword of Truth.

Macdk TL7 Equip
    Baraccus TL7
    Equip
    Raugmoss TL7
    Equip
    Maczilla TL5
    Equip
    Maczol TL4
    Equip

Trying to get the PvMers to have incentive to do Notum wars is not viable. Even if they do try some towerfields the PvP people will just blow them all away in 3 shots. Just give it up, NW is ruined.
    Proud member of New Order since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfer View Post
    Here's a better alternative:
    Controlling tower sites should have more incentive for those less inclined to do pvp. For example, side xp would also be converted to a discount for buying and selling in sided shops or something else along those lines.
    Let me tell you a story:

The clan tower PvP leaders had tried everything: Yelling at people, threatening to kick people from bots if they raided APF during "tower war time", RP arguments or plain trying to pretend they had some right to command people, blind adding people to bots followed by invite spam, and most of all: trying in every possible way to guilt people into joining as if those who had never planted a tower in their life somehow owed the PvP crowd something.

Then something happened. A new generation of PvP leadership (or maybe mostly the old leadership with new ideas) started doing hit-and-meep griefings of tower sites, poking their noses at the other side's PvPers, while at the same time not bothering too much that many people didn't seem interested in joining their efforts.

After maybe two weeks of this, and seeing my orgmates post hate tells from people who used to kill me in BS back when I was working for my VP, can you guess what happened? For the first time in my AO career, I asked to be added to the tower PvP bot. Not for material gain, guilt, or even to help my friends, but simply because what they were doing seemed like a lot of fun, and I wanted in on it.

Executive summary: Bonuses and guilt mean nothing. Marketing is everything. Make people think it'll be fun, and they'll ask to join.

(as for the side XP part, that shouldn't really be any incentive to people who can manage simple math: if you can invest 1 hour to gain a permanent 1% side XP, you need to grind XP for 100 hours to get a return on that investment. ..and I think 1% side XP per 1 hour invested in tower PvP is an unrealistically optimistic estimate, so for effective leveling, the better bet is to spend that time gaining XP. The same math should work for selling vendor trash, as you're investing potential trash farming time to gain x% side shop bonus).
    Hlep gnak!

NW is definitely for the NW crowd. I don't believe that anything can be done to entice them to participate, unless towers started giving massive advantages to PVM individually and globally.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Giving massive advantages for PvP towers is not a solution. It just compounds the problem. The problem is the huge gap of equipment levels that makes it impossible for a PvM player to not isntantly splat against a PvPer.
    Proud member of New Order since 2009.

Why NW isn't fun for me:
    * /assist.
    * Player run bots.
    * Lag.
    * Some battles takes way to long.

If there was a way to restrict bots from having anything to do with it and then limit the participant amount while removing the assist command then I'd go. Hell, bots should be banned and FC should add their own organisation chat bots (helpbot, itemsbot, recipebot can all stay of course, anything that is purely social, helpful and in no way has anything to do with pvp or loot can stay). Now that would be fun.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazmosis View Post
    Giving massive advantages for PvP towers is not a solution. It just compounds the problem. The problem is the huge gap of equipment levels that makes it impossible for a PvM player to not isntantly splat against a PvPer.
    That's not the problem at all. The gap is twinking vs. wearing a medsuit, not PVM vs. PVP players. Twinked PVM players do better than most people lead on, as well as acknowledging the fact that experience is important, perhaps moreso than any individual bit of gear of setup can give you. The fact is that you have to be well equipped and know what you are doing for any challenging content in this game, PVP or PVM. NW is no exception. To call that a problem is to say that it should be as easy as snapping your fingers to win.

If more PVM-minded people are to be enticed to do NW, more PVM-focused bonuses on towers would currently be the only way to do that, because there isn't anything else they are interested in there. Even if it was easy, no PVM player would go out to towers 'just for fun' otherwise they would do it now.
    Last edited by Obtena; Apr 18th, 2011 at 18:07:59.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbar View Post
    Let me tell you a story:

The clan tower PvP leaders had tried everything: Yelling at people, threatening to kick people from bots if they raided APF during "tower war time", RP arguments or plain trying to pretend they had some right to command people, blind adding people to bots followed by invite spam, and most of all: trying in every possible way to guilt people into joining as if those who had never planted a tower in their life somehow owed the PvP crowd something.

Then something happened. A new generation of PvP leadership (or maybe mostly the old leadership with new ideas) started doing hit-and-meep griefings of tower sites, poking their noses at the other side's PvPers, while at the same time not bothering too much that many people didn't seem interested in joining their efforts.

After maybe two weeks of this, and seeing my orgmates post hate tells from people who used to kill me in BS back when I was working for my VP, can you guess what happened? For the first time in my AO career, I asked to be added to the tower PvP bot. Not for material gain, guilt, or even to help my friends, but simply because what they were doing seemed like a lot of fun, and I wanted in on it.

Executive summary: Bonuses and guilt mean nothing. Marketing is everything. Make people think it'll be fun, and they'll ask to join.

(as for the side XP part, that shouldn't really be any incentive to people who can manage simple math: if you can invest 1 hour to gain a permanent 1% side XP, you need to grind XP for 100 hours to get a return on that investment. ..and I think 1% side XP per 1 hour invested in tower PvP is an unrealistically optimistic estimate, so for effective leveling, the better bet is to spend that time gaining XP. The same math should work for selling vendor trash, as you're investing potential trash farming time to gain x% side shop bonus).
    Sounds like rk 1 2009.

As of now, a 60 tower 300 site with ql 300 turrets and 275 conductors will drop in 30min to 50 people.

This HAS to be adjusted. Turrets and conductors have same hp as when people did 10% of the dmg we do today.

I thought it was taking 2 minutes and was more or less free to replant a field ?
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by n3oheals View Post
    Why not turn the side XP around? More towers = less side xp because you already have bonuses from the towers. Would mean more new players join the side with less towers and thus creating balance.
    this!
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12