Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Removal of Nano Delta

Temporary Removal of Nano Delta

We are at a point where the discussions on a particular issue are hitting an impassible wall. Clearly, the devs are attempting to make nano pool management an important aspect of pvm and pvp. Currently it is the stark opposite, where the occasions that a profession has difficulty maintaining nano are exceedingly rare. This makes the task of concieving AO under mechanics that cause frequent and sometimes immediate loss of nano pool, and therefore a lack of casting, quite difficult. I personally have a conception of AO under a constant risk of running out of nano and having a strong dependence on professions that can replenish those pools quickly, but many would argue that it would still be far from as important as healing, tanking, damage dealing, or debuffing.

I understand the difficulty in thinking such a simple task as healing nano could be as important as healing someone's health, but I believe that nano-regain professions will be a necessity in the future. If this is a true assertion and follows what FC devs are intending, then it would help the discussions progress exceedingly well if more people could be convinced to share this perception of need.

My proposition is hopefully simple and certainly a strong one. For a period of time remove the effects of Nano Delta so that players do not naturally regain nano over time. Players would be able to use sit kits, they could use first-aid, they could perk genius or use other regen items, but natural Nano Delta regen would be gone. I believe the removal of Nano Delta for a time could adequately replicate the effects the largely increased nano costs would have in the game environment.

The aim here is not to make AO unplayable for a time. In fact, what I would expect to happen is a growing desire to invite traders, MP's, NT's, and keepers into teams. This could only be a good thing for those nano-regain professions, but at the same time a lot of players would begin to experience the uneasiness of frequently being without nano.

If making nano-regain professions pivotal to the pvp and pvm environments is your goal FC, then this is my suggestion to convey those feelings onto all players and hopefully quell the debate about how useful a profession will be.

Um, perhaps the approach is to mess with these things in test first? Is the proposal based on a fear they are released to live without proper testing?
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Honestly it makes me wonder if mana is going to be around in MMO's in general. I fail to see why its a valid tactic in the world where most new games have many different mechanics in play other than "your mana will eventually run out after using X abilities"

Look at Rage/Energy/any of the class abilities in Warhammer, etc. Id say replace it with something entirely different or class specific rather than making it, essentially, far more annoying a mechanics considering almost every class ability any class has... reliant on nano. Suddenly being able to do less 'stuff' that makes that class, that class, is rather annoying at absolute best.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Um, perhaps the approach is to mess with these things in test first? Is the proposal based on a fear they are released to live without proper testing?
    The point of the proposal is to determine whether or not nano-regen professions will in fact be a necessary part of team structures or not. Setting Nano Delta intervals to 1000 seconds would accomplish this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    The point of the proposal is to determine whether or not nano-regen professions will in fact be a necessary part of team structures or not. Setting Nano Delta intervals to 1000 seconds would accomplish this.
    If you cut off a stream of almost 100-150 nano/sec, no sh*t you're gonna need people to regenerate nano
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Sounds reasonable, inconvenience everyone that plays to test a theory.

yay for making Improved soothing calm useless Oo /sarcasm off

for my crat i would run out of nano really really quick if nanodelta would be removed. This would make my nano toolset useless, except the small first aid
    stims i can use which doesn't nearly give enough nano for living without nanodelta..

but tbh, i could ofcourse put IP in nanopool again which is IPR'ed for other things ^^
    Last edited by Kuyt; May 5th, 2011 at 03:11:37.
    NO U

Cap cost at -20% until rebalance, and dim down the amount of -cost given by items and nanos, is what you're trying to get at.

Quote Originally Posted by Notnotnotnod View Post
    Cap cost at -20% until rebalance, and dim down the amount of -cost given by items and nanos, is what you're trying to get at.
    nm hater

cap players hp to 10k.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; May 5th, 2011 at 13:41:50.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Well... capped nano delta for all classes and breeds always seemed like a strange decision, since it defeats the purpose of having nano in the first place (at least at the current amount gained) if you can't run out within a reasonable time.

Lowering the actual gain significantly and give everybody 2 sec ticks regardless of level would probably work. Then perhaps people would bother IP Nano Pool again, a sink that generally favors "non-caster" classes due to the amount saved by not IP it.
    I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    Sounds reasonable, inconvenience everyone that plays to test a theory.
    It would not inconvenience everyone. For those that it does become an inconvenience, they could always team one of the nano regen professions.

Rather ridiculous idea.

First off, the changes will feature higher nanocosts, not a removal of the only nano regain some (most) professions have. The two are entirely different.
    Secondly, why on earth use the live server to test one aspect of the rebalance without the other parts? You might as well ask for FC to temporarily remove triples or AS from the game. It's useless unless it's part of the overall rebalance.

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    nm hater

cap players hp to 10k.
    I wasn't saying I agree or disagree, I was saying that would more make the results he's looking for.

But, capping player health at 10%, and.

No thanx. There are plenty of options to run out of nano quite quickly if you don't necessarily have some tools or ND implants to remedy that problem. Not everyone has insane amounts of ND to begin with and still need to use sitting kits when they run out of nano, this is especially true for atrox soldiers even at 220 with alpha symbiants.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have a specialized setup for lets say crits or dmg, and don't try to balance everything else, you are going to run out of nano at some point. Most of my toons are like that, and even the 220 enf that uses a ND implant and CPU upgrade runs out of nano eventually, granted it doesn't happen in 5 nanos or even 20, but for any fight longer than 5 mins, you do have to monitor your nano pool. Same goes for docs who are already going to lose some healing and will have to deal with higher nanocosts.

Granted that dealing with nanocost and pool size has become a lot easier since people started equipping intelligent symbs and using LE/LoX items, but it's not like nano management is a non-issue these days, especially when you are not "finished" with your toon at 220/30. Low level toons or twinks who rely on nanos for anything are constantly battling the nano pool because of ip constraints.

So basically, I wouldn't change anything at the moment. Might need to look into it after the rebalancing, but who knows whats going to happen with that.

It would not inconvenience everyone. For those that it does become an inconvenience, they could always team one of the nano regen professions.
    Yes that is fine minus the fact that the most common such profession is probably more inclined to nuke hecklers all day with an OST while getting paid than to risk an actual team setup where death is likely and the pay sucks.

I don't play at TL7. If your intent is to help people see the value in varied professions and get some of these professions off of LFT then I understand.

Good idea. If a character is in fight heal delta and nano delta should be Zero. On the other hand, being out of fight the regain rate should be way higher.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Quote Originally Posted by crattey View Post
    First off, the changes will feature higher nanocosts, not a removal of the only nano regain some (most) professions have. The two are entirely different.
    The point would be making people run out of nano, I think you will agree that crats will certainly do so post-balancing

Quote Originally Posted by crattey View Post
    Secondly, why on earth use the live server to test one aspect of the rebalance without the other parts? You might as well ask for FC to temporarily remove triples or AS from the game. It's useless unless it's part of the overall rebalance.
    Getting what you want from a thread is not always from getting what you asked for in a thread.

no wai, there wouldnt be long duels then :/
    Forever yours. Otmoz.

Duel/solo stats can be faked. Side xp cant be. TL7 nw for life

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    Honestly it makes me wonder if mana is going to be around in MMO's in general.
    Mana as a cost-pool of ability x most likely will stay in MMOs.
    the color of the bar representing the amount of mana and mana regain methods can alter, but concept most likely stays.
    may the regain method be based on character stats, static % per timed interval or based on damade done and taken, you cant cast 20 mana spell with 10 mana on pool without regaining some more first :P
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; May 6th, 2011 at 14:14:34.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast