Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary Items

Quote Originally Posted by Seoin View Post
    My epeen is bigger than yours.
    Fixed

If you had understand the thread, you would have known it is not just about the Clio.

Quote Originally Posted by IonButterfly View Post
    I keep coming back to this thread to see if things have improved, I was hopeful when I saw the colour bar that showed a Funcom person had responded. Then I read it. Oh dear.

Why is it so difficult to see that those doing the work aren't getting even the slightest chance of getting the reward?
    Which monumental idiot decided that handing in 5000 items one at a time was a good idea?
    Is Gaute back?
    And I agree 5k is a bit much, but if you don't like having to hand in that many, then don't farm them or hand them in. The rider will spawn a little less often, and a few less people will end up with OH SO USEFUL MUST HAVE CLIOS.

And I agree 5k is a bit much, but if you don't like having to hand in that many, then don't farm them or hand them in. The rider will spawn a little less often, and a few less people will end up with OH SO USEFUL MUST HAVE CLIOS.
    Did you not understand? it's not about having to hand in items, it's about handing in items for someelse to always get the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Did you not understand? it's not about having to hand in items, it's about handing in items for someelse to always get the reward.
    If you aren't ok with not having a good chance of getting the reward, besides the things that drop from fanatics, then why would you keep handing in the items?

If you aren't ok with not having a good chance of getting the reward, besides the things that drop from fanatics, then why would you keep handing in the items?
    If events aren't going to be made fair for everyone, why have them?

Quote Originally Posted by IonButterfly View Post
    Why is it so difficult to see that those doing the work aren't getting even the slightest chance of getting the reward?
    This is the question i'd like to hear the answer for.

It's completely fine that you have to work for your reward. But having to work your ass off (and turning in the items ONE AT A TIME) for some zergbot to collect the rewards... that's completely NOT fine.

The people doing the WORK are not getting the reward. The crowd who can put up the best DD raidforce gets the rewards. Most of those people never collect any of the items needed to spawn the damn thing.

One thing i like in the world events in Rift is the reward system. Even if some group of higher level players comes to the same rift/event, you will still get rewards out of it as long as you contribute to the event (that means doing DD, healing people or crowd control etc, anything except just standing around).

So instead of this stupid grindfest without rewards that we have now, it should reward the people who collected the items. Maybe by just spawning the items for you (or mailing them) when the rider dies, or giving some special currency you could then use to purchase the items from some NPC. The latter might be better to still involve the "have to work (grind) for your phats" - aspect you guys at FC love so much.
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I stand by our belief and opinion that having one single, lone item that takes effort to achieve isn't a bad thing. We'll have to continue to disagree from here on that point. =)
    Kintaii, you are correct. Having that one item that is a challenge to receive (And assuming it does not go into the point shop) is not a bad thing. To have that one special (albeit ultimately useless, but fun) item can be seen as a status symbol in some way. To be able to say "I did the hard work needed to get this thing and it was fun!"

However, I'm sure I speak for many here when I say that the execution of this challenge is key, not that the challenge exists at all. And it's something those who have posted here have expressed time and again. With the 9th anniversary Event, you had to work with your org to gather hard to get items and you were all rewarded with a cool org building. The challenge was in getting the items and, in the end, everyone benefited.

The only challenge here (Aside from trying not to go mad gathering 5000 items and force feeding the Tinker one at a time [Yes, I understand that this aspect may be one of those things you said "was not perfect and There are some technical quibbles/issues that we'll look into for next time"]) seems to only be trying not to destroy a keyboard as you hammer the 'E' key faster than everyone else while battling lag and crowd control.

Give us a challenge! Make us travel around Rubi'ka gathering strange items for some cool reward! Make it so we might need the help of higher level characters/players to get some of these so lower levels can enjoy the reward! Do something that celebrates the history of a setting and a game we all love to play!

Just not this.

Not a keyboard mashing ninjalooting fest where those who work hard to try and get the rewards are outdone by those who do nothing but mash a key faster. It's like saying "Sorry son. You put in a good 40 hours of work this week. But that bum down the street got to your mailbox faster and got your check. Better luck next time."

It's really unfortunate that although FC feels this event went as planned, we players feel you've all lost touch with the playerbase for thinking this kind of event would be thought of as fun.

(Again, not bashing the reward or that you wanted a challenge to get it, just the execution itself.)

I must be sick in the head

I dont know, Im actually enjoying running around on my level 30ish toon collecting anniversary content for him AND collecting the stuff needed to help spawn the DESERT RIDER even tho i dont have a hope in leetville to get a CLIO or as i like to call it now the CLITO. I call it that because of all the attention and excitment its attracting, now that alot of us know where it is.

Its no sweat of my leet to gather the stuff, but dropping it is a bit of a drag, as its right in front of me while I level and collect stuff. So every once and a while i go and feed 4bp to the OCD Machine just so i can watch the show. I dont understand the anger and pain, hope everyone just realizes gettting the new yalm isnt the end all b all of the game.

I like all the new content, thanks for all the work FC people!

I can't figure out why everyone is so upset at the 10th anni event. The clio is the only thing that is remotely hard to get and what's so special about it? its just like a phasefront with some useless reflect, if you get one or don't get one its not going to help or hurt you at all, unless you need it to show your phat status. Complaining about not everyone being able to get one? Why does everyone want it so bad anyway? the other 20 social items are easily available to everyone.
    It is not the dang Clio that I have issue with. It is the utterly not part of the story line, poorly designed, reminds me of launch day crap, DD fest designed for the 220's screw the players that don't actually have a 220 raid that is the problem.

It shows that FC has no dang idea what the player base wants and instead is forcing this "working as intended" crap on us.

I take great issue about the story line part as well as the rudeness at the event. By gawd we have a freaking book with HUGE i mean HUGE back story and they make up a stupid mob and patchy story for the 10th birthday. That is so utter crap.

That alone screams that the team rushed the birthday event vice taking the time to design something worthy.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

I can't figure out why everyone is so upset at the 10th anni event. The clio is the only thing that is remotely hard to get and what's so special about it? its just like a phasefront with some useless reflect, if you get one or don't get one its not going to help or hurt you at all, unless you need it to show your phat status. Complaining about not everyone being able to get one? Why does everyone want it so bad anyway? the other 20 social items are easily available to everyone.
    For me at least, it was never about acquiring a Clio. It was about the event being implemented in such a way that it allowed some players to mistreat other players in unnecessarily jerkish ways. It's about the feeling that this shouldn't be what we're being encouraged to do as a community. The comparison to the 9th anniversary sauna building process someone else brought up earlier illustrates what I'm getting at rather well: last year, we were encouraged to work together with fellow players. Good times were had by all, yadda yadda. This year it seems we are instead being rewarded for trampling over each other. For many, the bad experiences connected with player behavior at the Rider raids are going to discolor what could instead have been fond memories of this year's celebration.

In the time since the content first came out I'll admit things have quietened down. I'd like to think everyone has calmed down enough that there's less overtly dickish behavior going on between players, but I haven't caught that many raids so I can't tell if it's just my optimism talking. The rest of you'll have to verify that for me, heh.

By the way, I think this is the first time I've heard of RK1 making a points bot to dominate a raid when RK2 has not done so.
    :E

I'll chime in finally and agree that the event failed. It brought out the worst in people and the best in some people, like all the hopeful lowbies that farmed gift bits only for them to go unrewarded. My suggestion is that FC just gives everyone a Clio in the mail. Take away the thing's power. And, at the same time make all the dbags who dabbled in dbaggery to get it, feel bad about themselves. This would set things right again.

If not we can take solace in knowing that the only items worth getting this year were the +20 pads and the social cloak anybody can wear. The helmet is nice too. And that the Clio will someday soon be replaced by another even more worthless epeen item and forgotten. Just like the Clito...Which is a myth. Thanks.
    On RK1: Legerdemain 220 Omni Advy - Battlestarr 220 Omni Sold - Manilow 150 Omni Keeper - Irkules 220 Omni Enf - Rancho 188-ish Omni Fixer - Legman 220 Omni Engi - Manblack 172-ish froob Omni MP - Hivvy 200 froob Omni Agent

On RK2: Kallark 150 Neut MA - Thunderballs 208-ish Neut Enf

Where can 'Superb NipponTech "Metsuki" Sight Overlay Device - Pink' be found? The Desert Rider only drops the regular ones in blue/yellow/green/red, the superb one can be changed wit a crewdriver and is also available in pink, grey, orange and purple.

I want it!

Edit: lol 450 pts in the ingame shop. No ty.
    Last edited by Marijke; Jun 29th, 2011 at 04:05:24.
    Marijke88::220|30|70 Opifex Martial Artist
    Phexuz::220|30|70 Opifex Fixer
    Doppelripp::220|30|70 Opifex Bureaucrat
    Arbitrage::220|30|70 Opifex Trader
    Truxal::220|30|70 Opifex Doctor
    Brennstab::220|30|70 Opifex Nano-Technician
    Wurstmacher::200|30|70 Opifex Shade

Proud Advisor of Insomnia Gravis
    Account created: 2005-01-13

I have to add my voice here, as I'm pretty saddened by FCs response on this.

The simple fact is the event is not fun. This should be the thing you should clearly be seeing is 'not working as intended'. Yes CC is now not as much of a problem now that the initial rush has died down - mainly because the event has now pretty much ground to a standstill unless a GM spawns it, on RK2 at least.

This year is nowhere near the fun we had last year, even with the epic wait and petitioning for replacement saunas we had to do when you messed *that* one up.
    Last edited by Sheffsammie; Jun 29th, 2011 at 05:25:29.
    Sheffsam (200/0 Agent) E - Drsheffsam (200/0 Doc) E - Sheffsammy (200/0 NT) E - Sheffie (200/0 Trader) E - Sheffix (200/0 Fixer) E
    Sheffs (220/30/70 Doc) Crit - Nabcake (220/30/70 NT) Cheap & Effective - Sheff (220/30/67 Agent) Equip Undecided
    RK2 Neutral - Grey Area

Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    If not we can take solace in knowing that the only items worth getting this year were the +20 pads and the social cloak anybody can wear. Thanks.
    Don't forget the sleeves! ^^

I fear that someone may video record the raid with some voice commentary, and it will make FC and the AO Community look very, very bad.

The last thing we need is a youtube video (and god forbid facebook/twitter links to it) out there making us all appear to be a greedy playerbase, one which most gamers avoid like the plague.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I stand by our belief and opinion that having one single, lone item that takes effort to achieve isn't a bad thing. We'll have to continue to disagree from here on that point. =)
    If you want a item that you have to work for. Make a mission or something with a boss that is adjusted to the level of the player/team/raid/ whatever, or a small quest that everyone can do.
    The only skill this mess take is a 220 and ninjalooting skills.
    The raid worked pretty well when I was over on test, but it was a good reason.
    We were only 6 players.
    I know players that has been here for years, and is nowhere close to 220.
    Would be interesting to hear what kind of effort a level 60 would have to put in to get the yalm, when you can't even go near the adds before the boss is dead.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    If you want a item that you have to work for. Make a mission or something with a boss that is adjusted to the level of the player/team/raid/ whatever, or a small quest that everyone can do.
    We were only 6 players.
    Would be interesting to hear what kind of effort a level 60 would have to put in to get the yalm, when you can't even go near the adds before the boss is dead.
    A 60 wouldn't stand a chance, my 85 decently geared but not twinked to hell and back took 2 AoE hits and died every time, never made it from beginning to end on any raid ( not that it really matters as I couldn't get into any real teams because they wouldn't even look at anyone under level 200+). Even with Means spawning one raid after another, it was the same people winning time after time after time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    We were only 6 players.
    This gets it 95% right. I was there yesterday for multiple raids in row, first with my 150 fixer, then with a 87 doc, and finally a 195 MP (my highest level char). Fixer was able to take a few booms at the raid perimeter without dying, but it still took two raids to get a chance to collect all the _fanatic_ drops. Doc also got two nukes, but survived, and withdraw far enough until the raid ended. She had more luck, iirc, and got all the fanatic items in one go, even as there was some weird disconnect in the end of the raid.

MP even got invited to a raid group and loot rolling bot, but I think that was because there were two raid groups (both 4 teams +) and they started to be desperate for any additional damage to win the phatz for their side. But again, disconnect at the end of the raid, so the chance for loot ended up theoretical.

Think about that: more than 8 teams or 50+ just highbies, many (if not most) of them still waiting for their chance, and each kill apparently drops like 6 Clios? That would have taken 10 raids to merely satisfy those highbies at the scene at the time. After each one gets their phatz, they log their alt highbies, etc.

So, as gimpeline said, if an amount of work is needed, perhaps Funcom could enlighten me/us, what and how much is the work, how a level <100 toon could get that Clio. Or even if the 150 fixer could get it (my "main").. When every single raid I've seen, there are many times more 220ies than there are Clio's to be looted. At this rate it'll be couple months before all the remaining highbies are satisfied.

It certainly does not need to be as easy as in Eve-online; there you simply choose at login screen which toon you want to "redeem" the gift(s) for, push a button and you're done. But not this "Fun(tm)"com-impossible, either.

And for those saying it is just a yalm, not a necessary item: if it does not matter for you, then do not even bother continuing in this thread; this is for those to whom it matters. But if you still decide to reply, think this before: how would you feel if you were invited into a party as one of the people who are supposed to get a present and are then said "sorry, you're too short, no gift for you." Fair/unfair? Happy/disappointed?

In this celebrations category, Funcom is really out of the map and alienated/alienating the remaining player base.

End of rant, back to leveling the doc. At this rate, I'll get the doc to 220 before all highbies have gotten their rider phatz ;P
    Bugi, level 150 fixer, general of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)
    (and plenty more of 'bugs' and 'bags')

Real issue is that this seem to pass the whole policy FC has for this type of mobs. Only other two I think are Tara and non-insta Pande, but there is other version of pande so...

Basicly, 1. 5000 is sick, 2. Largest RI takes it...

Preferable would be multiple points to spawn, 300-600 or there items to feed and then the group who give them have the rights, and ninjas could be permabanned...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Good stuff.
    Kintaii, you have disappointed me with all the stuff you been posting as replies to posters in the thread. And if your posts are representative of FC's views (I would daresay they are, right?)

WAKE UP YOUR IDEA.

I have kept quiet about the entire fiasco that's the NLD desert rider event. Up till now. I have been following this thread since Day 1. I had expected whatever's been posted to happen, and it did. "Gloriously" did.

And I have stayed far away from the Rider events since the start to not feel grieved and I guess I would have to continue that way.

That said, I love the action figurines. And would love to have a Termileetz00r (really inspired naming :P). All the social items for this 10th Anniversary are awesome imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I personally can't say that this anniversary went off like I thought it should. When I think of a 10'th year anniversary of AO, I'm thinking of people getting together to have fun and share the festivities no matter what level they are. I'm thinking that there shouldn't be any stress or disappointment. I'm thinking that getting any items should be 1% of the effort and having fun with them should be 99% of the effort.

When I envision people celebrating AO like this, I envision them just getting the social stuff they want to get from some free vendor/NPC (or easy to find mobs) and then hurrying along to actually hang out, have fun and reminisce with fellow players. The last thing I think of is people scattered around for hours every day hunting relatively rare mobs on many alts, followed by complete frustration at the big event in NLD.
    A 10th year anniversary is about reminiscing, having good times with people around you. Can be with complete strangers even. And together with these people who may or may not become friends together in this MMO, everyone should be looking forward to the next 10 years. Remember that. So, what do you want us to remember from this 10th Anniversary?

I sub multiple accounts, have gotten friends to play more or less. They turned paid, too. I was here since launch and you are making me consider quitting.

Thanks FC.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast