Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What happened to the RP in the MMORPG in AO?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    What the exact restrictions are on the Events ARKs I do not know, and presumably one of them can address it
    Not just a rhetorical question, and i'm being serious and genuine when I ask; Are there any actual active Event ARKs left?

but saying "ARKs should do this" and "ARKs need to do this" based on your opinion does not necessarily follow that it is going to happen based on our own policies.
    Which are? If you can answer that seriously, then you will have done more to enlighten us then anyone else can boast. It is my understanding that there was a information chokehold that was strictly enforced until Kintaii broke the quiet. Was this reinstated or have they lost all desire to communicate?
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

but saying "ARKs should do this" and "ARKs need to do this" based on your opinion does not necessarily follow that it is going to happen based on our own policies.
    Considering there is an Iron Curtain that separates any and all information regarding what ARKs can and cannot do, and why, all we can do is say what we feel they 'should' and 'need' to do.

As Bubba points out, this wall was supposed to have been coming down with the introduction of Kintaii as a GM, however, my requests for information on the absence of ARKs has always been met with a resounding silence.

One can only presume the silence is because saying nothing is better than admitting the truth of the situation, which would be that FunCom is baring the Events ARKs from Talking to the playerbase.

That of course assume that Bubba's doomsday scenario isn't true, and there are actually Event ARKs alive inside of ARK (Zombies and Devdas' little lizard don't count.)
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Not just a rhetorical question, and i'm being serious and genuine when I ask; Are there any actual active Event ARKs left?
    Yes, four of them.

Which are? If you can answer that seriously, then you will have done more to enlighten us then anyone else can boast. It is my understanding that there was a information chokehold that was strictly enforced until Kintaii broke the quiet. Was this reinstated or have they lost all desire to communicate?
    I can't actually answer that at all, being that I'm not Events, but I did pass the question onto Rainys, she said she'd try to answer it tomorrow. (Its quite late for her.)
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Yes, four of them.

And here I thought the last number I was aware of (12) was too low.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Yes, four of them.
    Rainys, Maleachi, and who else?
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Rainys, Maleachi, and who else?
    Pheats and Devdas.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    One can only presume the silence is because saying nothing is better than admitting the truth of the situation, which would be that FunCom is baring the Events ARKs from Talking to the playerbase.
    One could also presume that you shouldn't assume with partial information, as a general rule of thumb in life.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Pheats and Devdas.
    You and I must have differing ideas on what the word active means.

Also, on the subject of partial information, it is that very thing that defines the problem. We only have partial information, mostly outdated by now, due to that silence. You need activity from Events to meet the activity of the playerbase. Communication is the key to facilitate that. Without ARK Events setting a precedence in terms of world arc and progress, you won't have player awareness. You shouldn't just rattle the bushes as a show of presence, make a few claims, and then disappear. We would dearly love to know if anything became of it.

You'd likely find us a much more appreciative (and involved) lot, if things were to actually progress. TBH, I have no idea what everyone is waiting on or whats blocking up the pipeline.. but there are a ton of valuable player-side resources just waiting to be dusted off and used. It's a shameful waste to just let it all rot for nothing.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

As negative as Trousers and Bubba may sound, they are 100% correct. How can the RP Community count on ARK Events if they appear to be (please take no offense) cheap 3rd rate magicians pulling a Plushie rabbit out their hats trying to make us believe the rabbit is a real live one?

The very last great ARK Events Director was Tchu, so great there is even a dragon named after him!

He trusted us when we formed the first player-run CoT in Atlantean, he listened to us when we asked him to not only support us, but also Rimor. Radiman and Ross made appearances (and addressed us) on a regular basis when we gathered while he was in charge.

Since his departure, it seems like all the real main storyline characters were shelved. Radiman was sent into the desert, Ross "shot" and nobody knows what happened to him... his bones could be in the broom closet as far as we're concerned.

Having a few Legacy Leaders just sit at a CoT Meeting and talk once in a while a phrase or two, doesn't make an exciting RP Event.

Running events, and not telling anyone until after it happened... excludes most roleplayers.

Also as far as I'm aware Tarkhan Zora never appears in-game, the only "word" from that character is through once-in-a-blue-moon OTPC articles, and those are...well...

Editor News, 16 articles in the past year to cover all 3 factions?

The excuse was, Reporter System is down, then... "oh we didn't get those articles because of... e-mail failure, send them again." Now ARK uses gmail (I won't even go into the security holes that has) to be sure they get articles... FC stopped providing ARK with working e-mail addresses? wow...

"ARK Events Ongoing Storylines" sticky, not updated since August of last year.
    "Officially Unofficial AO/IRC OOC RP Chatbot" went online July of 2010 and in about a year died, bots were taken offline, no explanation ever given yet the thread is still sticky as if it was still ongoing?

It's just one thing after another, and the silence has not helped regain any trust whatsoever.

It seems like crazy Trousers (please bud, take it as a compliment) is trying harder than the entire Events team to get things moving.

I respect ARK as a whole. I'll always support ARK through every means at my disposal. However ARK Events... has lost my support completely and I was one of the most hardcore roleplayers in the game for many years.

Here is what I suggest, find Tchu's phone number, and ask him for advice.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Since his departure, it seems like all the real main storyline characters were shelved. Radiman was sent into the desert, Ross "shot" and nobody knows what happened to him... his bones could be in the broom closet as far as we're concerned.
    I've taken to telling roleplayers that Ross is dead. He vanished and his character was deleted and claimed by a player. "Ross" went from being the CEO of Omni-Tek to a Clan Advy on Rk2. That enough is enough grounds for me to determine that's the end we're going to see of him.

Having a few Legacy Leaders just sit at a CoT Meeting and talk once in a while a phrase or two, doesn't make an exciting RP Event.
    I proposed a large overhaul of the OAM to ARK, twice, and in both cases I was told, in politer language, "We know better than you do." Well, perhaps the gravity of the current situation might encourage a rethinking of this position.

Also as far as I'm aware Tarkhan Zora never appears in-game, the only "word" from that character is through once-in-a-blue-moon OTPC articles, and those are...well...
    To be fair, he was. I was present when he arrived on Rubi-Ka. This, along with his speech where he said where Omnis need to shoot Neutrals on sight, were the only two times I know of where he was in-game. (I obviously don't count any instance of him logging in just to attend an OAM which I think may have been 2 additional times.) If you count those, the CEO has averaged 1 login per year.

"ARK Events Ongoing Storylines" sticky, not updated since August of last year.
    "Officially Unofficial AO/IRC OOC RP Chatbot" went online July of 2010 and in about a year died, bots were taken offline, no explanation ever given yet the thread is still sticky as if it was still ongoing?
    The Bots connecting it to RK1 and RK2 are back up, but no one is in them still. This may be due to the plummeting playerbase or lack of In-game advertisement for people to know it exists.

It's just one thing after another, and the silence has not helped regain any trust whatsoever.
    Been saying this for years, literally.

Here is what I suggest, find Tchu's phone number, and ask him for advice.
    TBH, we don't need Tchu. We don't need a new Website. RK2 did fine for years after Tchu and after AO-U kicked RK2 RP to the curb and told us we were not welcome.

What the community needs is an expansion of ARK/Player communication. It needs an Events Team that is bigger than 2 people. It needs Kintaii to do more than make false promises and blaming the playerbase.

What it needs are things that won't happen. It's unfortunate, but actions speak louder than words, and we have had neither.
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    As negative as Trousers and Bubba may sound, they are 100% correct.
    There was a time when I was a pretty upstanding member of the RP community. I don't mean to sound as negative as people take me. I suppose I'm misunderstood like that. Sadly, I've been more then my fair share of patient over the years. Its been no small secret that I have lost the faith here, like so many other have. Can anyone honestly blame me?
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

This forum is starting to feel as cynical as the MP forum.

Just sayin'.
    :E

Funcom employee

Going to shut this one down - As it stands, going over the same points isn't really going to get anyone anywhere and, as I've stated before, the issues that those of you posting here see are multi-faceted and come from a variety of directions, none of which are easy to resolve in any fashion. Do I want to see movement and progress toward a better future for RPing in AO? Definitely. But at the same time this sort of conversation isn't really conducive to finding said solutions - I've already posted my thoughts on the matter and with those in mind, it would be better to see people here working toward solutions on their own end instead of simply waiting for the ARK Events department to suddenly see a large influx of new volunteers to do their bidding. There is more I want to do, and more that I feel can be done, but as with most things it revolves around time and resources. There *is* stuff incoming on the horizon that I feel will definitely help with the current situation, both from the 'official' end and from an community, "in-game" standpoint, but as I said it requires time, and are all unfortunately related to things that I cannot influence, only wait for (and, naturally, are things i cannot discuss - oh, the joys of my job ><).

If you want to roleplay then please do so - As I've said before, RP has existed in AO for years untold with and without the influence of the Events department, and can be done without a blue/green name aiding your actions. While I view it a shame and a great loss to the community to see resources such as the story section on AOU disappear, the question is whether or not this sort of removal (prompted, as stated by Windguaerd, by a lack of interest in the section) is the result of an diminished Events team or a generally diminished interest in RPing in AO. The more resources such as those which disappear, however, particularly given that roleplaying in AO *has* always been defined by its community with additional storyline support from official channels, the less interest will be generated. And while there have been tons (and i do mean tons) of story hooks introduced into the game over the last several years, seeing none of them run with or touched or otherwise even glanced at really does not bolster the development team's desire to focus more heavily in that department; in the face of a diminished Events team (something that is only influenceable by players such as yourselves, as it is a volunteer-based organization), then it is up to the community to take these things and run with them, something that we unfortunately have not seen.

As said above there are things incoming which I hope will address some of the issues in certain ways, but at the end of the day it is up to *you guys* to roleplay in AO - ARKs or otherwise, there's no "RPing scene" without others to RP with. While we're happy to help where we can and to give a framework/story to explore, ultimately (as it has always been) there is one major thing the roleplaying community will come down to and have to rely on - Themselves.

Again, closing it down as there is relatively little new in this thread to discuss.

Edit: I should note that after opening up clearance for the Events team to chat more openly with the general public, both here and via the in-game bot/IRC/etc. etc., I have not rescinded that edict - They are still allowed and have been provided with the tools and encouragment to come to the playerbase. But, with situations such as this, and a general, overall feeling of dislike and distrust toward the team (something that I view as entirely unfounded), then is it any wonder that they *don't*? I handle things like this because it is a part of my job - I receive a paycheck every couple of weeks that gives me a need to post here. They're volunteers, totally unpaid and doing it just for the love of it. Pouring your heart and soul into something only to get a constant stream of complaints and negativity for zero reward does not exactly inspire someone to wake up each morning and put their all into it.

Instead of attempting to tear down the few individuals who actually work toward aiding the RPing scene in AO for nothing but the pure joy of it, I would instead ask that you guys attempt respect, understanding, and compromise - Don't wish for those "mythical old days" as described earlier and then scream when you don't get it; as we've already discussed, those days (if they ever even really existed) are gone and not coming back. Attempting to work with the Events dept. to secure a new, better future would be more productive in the long run, and statements like "Tchu was the greatest, no one will ever be better" do nothing to aid the situation (particularly given that [while not wanting to diminish his achievements] Tchu was only as good as the people he had working with him - namely a much larger team and pool of resources both in ARK Events and at FC). Help them help you. =)
    Last edited by Kintaii; Jan 16th, 2012 at 06:25:45.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345