Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damage Dealers and PVM Grinding

Damage Dealers and PVM Grinding

My views on this have shifted significantly over the years but I would like a truly in-depth discussion on the matter. Damage dealing tends to be a key aspect in MMO's, but in AO more and more professions are reaching points where they have the option of doing exceptional damage. What we consider damage dealers tend to do 30% to 50% more damage than other players in most situations. This is honestly a low amount and does not allow damage dealers to form a niche to which they become necessary for that aspect in pvm. It seems to me what we then need is to give the role of damage dealer to a set group of professions, applicable primarily in pvm damage.

First is deciding how much damage the damage dealers should be doing, and what the trade-off should be. Also, the average damage ranges for everyone else should be assessed as well.

I feel 120k to 180k for tanks, debuffers, supporters and healers would be appropriate at 220. The damage dealers should be in the range of 350k to 450k DPM, so significant in the amount of damage they deal that their contribution is desired. That damage could be boosted even further with the help of support professions, making damage dealers really stand out in an encounter.

The trade-off that makes the most sense to me is greatly diminished survival. This means that a tank is not only necessary to hold the damage, but someone with taunts strong enough to hold aggro is necessary to prevent aggro from switching. AOE damages or mob damage shields would create a need for support healing and encounters could definately have debuffs which greatly weaken a damage dealer unless proper support professions are their to remove these debuffs.

There are many more improvements and aspects that can be added by making damage dealers a key niche with such a difference in possible damage.

Second is deciding which professions should take on the role of damage dealer and whether other roles should be possible.

The first obvious choice would be shades. While their damage is already exceptional it is often only through extreme measures and sacrifices that a shade can do noticeably high amounts of damage. Boosting the damage further at the expense of any supporting abilities such as init-debuffs or AAO/AAD drains seems appropriate. Full out damage focus while disregarding things that are mostly beneficial when the shade is alone. This is an example which I would expect all damage dealers to follow.

Other professions I would reccomend would be NT, Engineer, MA, soldier, agent and advy. Agents and adventurers are more-or-less going to have the option of filling any role, so the main focus should be the other four. These professions should not be tanking or filling any primary support or debuffing roles if they are to be doing exceptional amounts of damage dealing, it just eliminates the need for more players in an encounter. Soldiers may have the biggest issue with my opinion on this matter, but if they are already needed to tank then they should have the capability to hold aggro through taunting and not require excessive amounts of damage dealing. If the soldiers wish to do damage however, they must simply give up the role of tank to another player. This seems fair does it not?

Third is dealing with the issue of PVM content itself and the standard method of XP/SK/AXP grinding.

The primary source of AO leveling is through grinding content, mostly involving killing a lot of random mobs as quickly as possible. This means that the more damage you do the faster you level. While I do not mind this as an option, I think it hampers a lot of beneficial changes when this becomes the only viable way of leveling. The daily missions do offer all professions a means of steady leveling that does not focus on dealing the most damage possible, but it still falls short of standard DPM methods of leveling.

I believe leveling content should focus more on what I would call "epic leveling encounters" where they are more or less raids requiring teams just as any other raid, but the reward is large amounts of experience as opposed to loot. The reward would be larger than a daily or inferno mission reward. Having these as the prime means of leveling would help all professions if they worked under the same fundementals as a proper full team raid. Under those, for players that wish to level alone, should be questing and daily mission options. All questing should be possible for any profession, or at most require a single complementary profession to complete through the low to mid levels. There are ways to allow a tank, healer, and damage dealer to all do the same questline while having parts of their toolset make things doable in the same amount of time, therefore eliminating the reliance upon damage dealing.

For lower levels a simple grind-to-level style of pvm could still be highly viable, but the mobs should be low challenge and die quickly to any player. The heckler grind as an example is ok but we should really be moving on to other options after around level 120. The inferno missions, which are the primary source of leveling from 160 to 220 are simply a heckler grind inside an instance.

Fourth is the highly important issue of seperating PVM with PVP.

This is a very simple issue but I know it is a point people will raise. If someone is doing 450k DPM and then enters into a pvp situation, it does seem that they would be doing far too much damage to be manageable. In contrast, if we reduce player damages for non-damage dealers, we would have issues where these professions could not kill others in pvp if not handled appropriately. The solution is to simply make damage dealing toolsets which work only or at least differently against mobs than players. Detonation Matrix is a good example of a tool that accomplishes this.

These are my thoughts on the matter which I hope others can take time to read and remark on. I know it is hard for some people to imagine not only doing what seems to be abyssmal amounts of damage, but even losing further amounts of damage, but I simply ask that players consider whether they want pvm that requires everyone to do lots of damage to be bearable or pvm that is tailored to make use of every profession's toolsets to get things done.
    Last edited by Gatester; Jul 24th, 2011 at 18:58:22.

It sounds like an interesting concept. However, it would require either some hard thinking & some changes about the way that aggro works or an improvement to the taunting toolsets of the tank professions (as, if im not mistaken, taunting is getting a rather significant nerf in the rebalance).

With superior damage, nerfed taunts, and the sacrifices you are talking about in order to reach extreme levels of damage, what we will end up with is a DDer that pounds out good numbers and then gets squished because the tank couldn't hold aggro and the DDer had to sacrifice a lot of defensive ability to push out a ton of DD.

Quote Originally Posted by toastyking View Post
    It sounds like an interesting concept. However, it would require either some hard thinking & some changes about the way that aggro works or an improvement to the taunting toolsets of the tank professions (as, if im not mistaken, taunting is getting a rather significant nerf in the rebalance).

With superior damage, nerfed taunts, and the sacrifices you are talking about in order to reach extreme levels of damage, what we will end up with is a DDer that pounds out good numbers and then gets squished because the tank couldn't hold aggro and the DDer had to sacrifice a lot of defensive ability to push out a ton of DD.
    Appropriate strength in taunting for tanks would be an important issue. Even the proposed level of taunting when including perk lines would be enough to tank up to 450k DPS levels however. Healing and random agg issues from players who are not attacking or sit down causes more problems than someone doing too much damage.

450k DPM is a lot.

on my 219 engi, i'm hitting sustained 165-170k dpm in inf hards. I've outdamaged many 220 shades, and, am placing in the top spot or second spot on every single raid I've been on, which is APF's, Pande, 12man; unless my baby arrives on my lap and I have to go afk for extended periods.

When I go head to head, with a 220 shade that regularly rolls inf hards with me, I am +/-4-5% of his DPS, we're both hitting 4m+ dmg on a inf mish and the damage range is less than 200k between us.

at 220, when I can swap out a couple of armours, like DB spiritech armour, DB notum gloves for CC and change up a couple implants for burst, plus widowmaker, I expect to be consistently ODing him (not sure by how much yet, but I'd expect on the range of 8-12%)

While I understand that Inf hards are lower DPM in general than RK raids, I'm not sure by exactly how much. however, 450k dpm in inf/pande or other high AC environments, is nearly three times more damage than I'm doing.

To me, this seems excessive.

450K doesn t seem so high to me ; inferno hard missions ain't very relevant because of the pauses beetween kills.

I do believe a NT is in the 250/300k easely on a long fight against LotV for instance, and could probably do 350 if geared correctly.

A NT in massive aliumz bashing party can peak at 600k from AoE for short periods of time too, i believe.

I once recorded a MA in a 220 AI raid @ 400+ K / min too, and gotta say that was nuts.

But i don't think these kind of figures are excessive at all, and actually they are doable today.

Even tho, to support what gatester said, there is a very simple concept to make DPS matters, beside DPS war to win the loot. It is to make a mob with high active healing. For instance, takes a 6 man instance design, and make it so the boss can constantly heal 1KK DPM. But give him a relativly low HP bar. Now to beat the boss you basically have to beat this 1KK DPM figure, after which the mob go splat very quick. Can refine the concept a little, for instance a main boss with a decent HP bar (say, half Aune's bar), with 800K DPM constant heal, popping minions with low HP bar (like, 70-100kish ?) but, say, 1.2KK DPM constant heal. Bringing DPS/alpha would be mandatory to handle minions ; then whatever on top of the 800K DPS for the boss would be a bonus and speed up the kill by that much.

Imagine a team of 6 with 1KK DPM, versus a team with 1.2KK DPM, killing this 800k healing boss.

The team with 1.2KK DPM would kill the boss 2x faster, rather then just 20% faster if it was a regular boss with no healing.

When they i first tested COllector on test, i tought that was the concept, because at 1st the boss's heal bugged and it was very hardcore to beat. But i tought it was a very interesting concept for a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Djiax View Post

Even tho, to support what gatester said, there is a very simple concept to make DPS matters, beside DPS war to win the loot. It is to make a mob with high active healing. For instance, takes a 6 man instance design, and make it so the boss can constantly heal 1KK DPM. But give him a relativly low HP bar. Now to beat the boss you basically have to beat this 1KK DPM figure, after which the mob go splat very quick. Can refine the concept a little, for instance a main boss with a decent HP bar (say, half Aune's bar), with 800K DPM constant heal, popping minions with low HP bar (like, 70-100kish ?) but, say, 1.2KK DPM constant heal. Bringing DPS/alpha would be mandatory to handle minions ; then whatever on top of the 800K DPS for the boss would be a bonus and speed up the kill by that much.

Imagine a team of 6 with 1KK DPM, versus a team with 1.2KK DPM, killing this 800k healing boss.

The team with 1.2KK DPM would kill the boss 2x faster, rather then just 20% faster if it was a regular boss with no healing.

When they i first tested COllector on test, i tought that was the concept, because at 1st the boss's heal bugged and it was very hardcore to beat. But i tought it was a very interesting concept for a raid.
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=267645
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Comparing DD, even on a prof level, is difficult. Sure, u can pick 2 random toons, but player/expirience/equip makes a huge difference. My soldier for example. Good to real good in PvP, but a freaking machine in PvM DD. Regularly top 3 in any Pande raid. A shade/engie better be top geared/awake if they are gonna beat me. (To my knowledge, only shades/engies have beat me in pande). But it takes being active in the raid. Im looking forward to DD wars for top loot. No more /afk /follow. Slackers will BURN!!

Oh, and to the "But I'm GIMP! Its not FAIR" crowd. Tough. We ALL started gimp. Learn, build ur toon, get better. If u cant pee in the tall grass, stay on the porch.
    Because we said so.

imo it's ridiculous to make "DD professions" do TWICE the dmg output of others. To get levels fast you need DD, even in inf hards you don't need a doc/tank if u got a couple well equipped 220s.
    As long as leveling is all about getting as much DD as you can, making some profs do half the dmg as others would kinda make it very hard for them to get a team.

30%-50% extra damage for DD profs may not SOUND like much, but it is a huge amount.
    Nnivekccub lvl 220 Engineer
    Mongoose831 lvl 175+ leveling Agent
    Mongoose144 lvl 126 Agent
    Atheist tl4 leveling doc
    Platypus135 tl4 leveling sold

I'd go less for differentiating on DD and more for giving every prof something interesting to bring to a team. Damage output (though admittedly, they can do awesome damage) isn't the main reason the current "perfect" team setup will include a crat and a reflect totem. Damage output makes things go faster, sure, but people also like things being safer.
    Hlep gnak!

regarding the levelling instances... why not combine levelling with loot ? why can't alappa / pande / alb have decent xp from the junk mobs ?

the way APF works is great... decent (until AI missions arrived) axp and loot at the end.

just need to enable xp for the whole raid and significantly reduce the xp gained when a lot lower than the rest of the raid force (read low level leeching).

at the moment, its grind levels, then do stuff to get the gear. or use an alt or org to get the gear, then grind levels. would be a better "experience" to be able to get levels while chasing gear.

These chosen dealers of damage, is this some ability they would gain only in a raid situation or specific instances? Only when supported by the other professions? Otherwise, this is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    These chosen dealers of damage, is this some ability they would gain only in a raid situation or specific instances? Only when supported by the other professions? Otherwise, this is absurd.
    what is absurd? that DD is at that 350k-450k damage range in SL already?
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Jul 27th, 2011 at 09:29:59.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

well

your not considering the other side...
    if dd do 2-3x the dmg of non-dd, they will also gain xp at the double/triple speed, soloing.
    Do you really think anyone would want that?
    a doc would be reduced to healing only and wouldnt bother to fight- superboring, noone would like to do that.
    dd are already welcome to any party, simply for speed of killing and faster results.

maybe there are some parts where crats+something is prefered, but thats only a small part of the game mainly for farming goodies.
    so a defo no to dd dmg increasy. its good as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by battlebug123 View Post
    if dd do 2-3x the dmg of non-dd, they will also gain xp at the double/triple speed, soloing.
    But if you do 2-3x the dps but a Hiathlin slaps your ****, you need the doc or a tank to level properly. I think this idea would encourage more team play than the current method of everyone being able to tank practically everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Please developp.

Just in case it's that dumb, put boss's heal in a nano line not affected by RI if you want to design your instance that way ?

Did i win ?

RI works pretty well on the Collector.
    Because we said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnivekccub View Post
    imo it's ridiculous to make "DD professions" do TWICE the dmg output of others. To get levels fast you need DD, even in inf hards you don't need a doc/tank if u got a couple well equipped 220s.
    As long as leveling is all about getting as much DD as you can, making some profs do half the dmg as others would kinda make it very hard for them to get a team.

30%-50% extra damage for DD profs may not SOUND like much, but it is a huge amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by battlebug123 View Post
    Do you really think anyone would want that?
    a doc would be reduced to healing only and wouldnt bother to fight- superboring, noone would like to do that.
    dd are already welcome to any party, simply for speed of killing and faster results.

maybe there are some parts where crats+something is prefered, but thats only a small part of the game mainly for farming goodies.
    so a defo no to dd dmg increasy. its good as it is.
    I know it was long to read, but half the point of this thread was to address this very issue. The third point was the solution to this problem which makes senseless grinding the least effective means of leveling rather than the most effective as it is now. Raids created for the sole purpose of gaining experience would need a properly built team and be the best leveling and quests and dailies should be improved to be more effective than regular mob grinding. In fact, the only time I would suggest anyone actually needing a DD profession to level would be in an "Experience Gain" raid, which also includes tank, healer, support, debuffer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    These chosen dealers of damage, is this some ability they would gain only in a raid situation or specific instances? Only when supported by the other professions?
    Pretty much, yes. Someone doing the 450k DPM as per my example would likely be unable to solo a heckler who was 20+ levels higher because they would be giving up survival (if done as I would reccomend). Grinding out greens really quickly and with massive DD would actually be close to what a profession built for survival would do on the higher level mobs they would be capable of killing.

Not only that, but I would intend for DD to be practically pointless outside of raids/team situations anyways. Making an aspect not everyone can maximize key to leveling is a fault of AO that most other MMO's no longer suffer from. If PVM was actually challenging in AO then players could find themselves more readily able to understand the trade-off between survival and damage.

well balancing would be a lot harder then still, there is not only ONE setup for dd- they have options.
    so if you give them 50% more dmg, then some would sacrifice 10% of that to evades etc which would result in 40% more dmg AND survivability.
    so the questions is: how would you give them the boosted dmg?
    maybe with a whole suit where you cannot equip anything else,, which boosts your dmg a lot, but decreases survivability.
    then yes, that would be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Djiax View Post
    Please developp.

Just in case it's that dumb, put boss's heal in a nano line not affected by RI if you want to design your instance that way ?

Did i win ?
    heal delta
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast