Thread: The Greater Good

The Greater Good

Introduction

I haven't been doing very much in AO recently, roleplaying or otherwise. But I still love the game, the world and the story. So here's the beginning of what I have been up to. This isn't in-world roleplaying so I don't think it belongs in the Buzz forums.

This is a Prophet Without Honour-inspired fanfiction story. I want to make it clear that, although I've done a lot of research to make sure the story fits within game lore, this is very much NON-CANON. I can't stress that bit enough because I know the subject matter is bound to cause a little bit of controversy.

There are lot of gaps and ambiguity that I love about the AO story that really get the imagination going. And one big tantalising lack of information is the history of Omni-Reform director Eva Pourais and her relationship to the Unredeemed. So here's my own imagining of that story. Hope people like it. Comments are very welcome, of course.

Chapter 1
    Chapter 2
    Last edited by Redesine; Aug 16th, 2011 at 11:34:39.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Chapter 1

“Where do you turn in such difficult moments? Moments, when you feel alone, battling with your thoughts. There is a whole department whose main duty is helping employees in such troubling times. Its name is Omni-Reform."
    -Eva Pourais, May 22nd 29483 – OTPC.

Omni-1, January 10th, 29483

Her ears rang. That's all there was to the world; just a constant, almost musical tone. Nothing else, not even a sense of which way was up and which way was down. She floated on nothing, vaguely curious about what had come before.

In her mind's eye she tried to picture what had happened and immediately and clearly her memory came flooding back and reason was restored.

She opened her eyes and felt the sting of dust falling into them. Closing and wiping them as best she could with her forearm, she tried again to take in her surroundings.

It seemed to take longer than usual to regain focus but soon she realised this was because of the dust still lingering in the air. Everything was diffused, but she could see through the dust in the dim light. Her normally black suit had become light blue, coated as it was in the powder that used to be the walls of the office building. Above her she saw that a section of the ceiling had collapsed and to her right there were cracks in the wall. But otherwise the room was structurally intact. Figures were there on the floor, mostly lying; some knelt, shaking off the effects of the impact.

Eva Pourais realised she was lying on the floor.

Vulnerable.

A quick calculation. A conclusion.

She must not stay here. She must not wait for the aides to recover, nor wait for the guards to rush in.

At this point, Eva Pourais trusted no-one.

She stood carefully, testing for injuries but moving quickly. Her body was strong and she could sense nanobots already at work, repairing what little damage there was. There was this advantage; now, time to use it. No need to shake the dust off her face and hair... that could prove beneficial. And while stunned Reform workers looked on in confusion, she left the crumbling room, seeming to walk calmly at the same pace as any normal person would run for fear of their lives.

San Jose, August 7th 2014

"... So please welcome Dr. Eva Pourais!"

The presenter had a naturally confident air but a charisma that suggested his television career was at a peak here in this local studio. He clapped and stood aside as the audience joined in the applause. Eva Pourais walked to her chair from stage-left with the grace that left all eyes on her. The cameras, introduction and audience simply adding to the fact that she was usually the centre of attention.

"Dr. Pourais is a distinguished psychologist, who works with the Biomedical giant Farmatek Incorporated. And... am I reading this right?" A dramatic pause, poorly timed, "Has a Ph.D. in Fear?"

There was a titter from the audience as the last overzealous clapper calmed down.

"Oh dear," said Pourais, putting on the perfect innocent smile for the occasion, "that makes me sound terrible, doesn't it? 'Doctor Fear'?"

A more appreciative laugh.

"That was a study on the theory of terror management, so I prefer to think it was more to do with overcoming fear than causing it. Though I do try my best." She fluttered her eyelashes and pulled her limbs inwards in just the right way as to suggest that she was quite incapable of being fearful, completing the self-depreciatory quip.

More laughter and the presenter asked, "What is it that you do for Farmatek, when you're not on television, that is?"

"Well, Jim- may I call you Jim? Medical science is moving at quite a pace - and of course it is, it's driven by the desire to help people, make them feel well. The chemists and biologists (and of course physicists now, too) need people on a front line, making sure that their medicines can be released quickly and begin their good work as soon as possible. It's my job to make sure the remedies that affect the brain are performing their function correctly and having the right effect on behaviour, and that we understand the side-effects. In short I test new medicines that will help people lead a happier life."

"That's great, that's great. Now our debate tonight is of course is 'Science and Ethics'. We have our scientist and I should now introduce the other side of the panel..."

In that particular over-dramatic yet lifeless way that can only be achieved by low-ratings TV presenters, Jim beckoned Martha Hall on stage to meet with polite applause and a few hisses.

Eva Pourais smiled in welcome, receiving a face full of bitter scorn in return. However, Pourais' expression didn't falter. It was the genuine smile of someone who's day is progressing in precisely the way they had hoped.

Martha Hall was a nothing. She was the glorified secretary of a borderline-cult church that was as desperate for attention as it was for vindication of their mad, extremist views. She also happened to be the daughter of the church's founder. Every so often they managed to get a spokesperson onto local radio or a newspaper column and cause a brief flurry of antagonism and drama before fading from people's memory again.

And that's what she intends to do tonight, thought Eva Pourais. Well then, let the curtain up and the actors lose; at the final call, we shall see where the roses fall.

The first question was easy: "Is animal testing just needless cruelty?"

Eva Pourais nodded respectfully, as if to the invisible animal ambassador in the room. "This is of course a very difficult topic. Difficult for anyone, from the most academic chemist to the everyday pet-lover. You asked about cruelty in particular. Here in San Jose animal testing is very carefully regulated by the Animal Welfare Act and a manual called The Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, which are very clear on how animals should be treated. Each testing facility that I know of needs to prove that they comply to these regulations to a committee which considers any possible alternative.

"In the end, out of the countless lives that have been saved by modern medicine, many of them would not have been if it were not for the experiments and tests performed on animals. No-one wants to hurt animals, and with those careful guidelines, they can save lives with the minimum of animal suffering. So whether these ends justify the means would have to be up to you. For me personally, and based on what I've seen of lab animals, the answer is that it is neither cruel nor needless."

Applause.

Hall's turn.

"Well this should be a simple matter for everyone, really. Any fool who's picked up a book knows that man's dominion over animals is guaranteed by God. There's no debating that point." Hisses. "But yeah, on the other hand, a Godless scientist doesn't care about the ethics. The Doctor here didn't even mention the bible. And being ignorant of the real issues is just as sinful as... as sin itself. She'll be burning anyway, so what does it matter to her?"

No applause.

Eva Pourais found it hilarious that they had, in essence, agreed on the base point, but that's not how the audience would remember it. She hid her desire to laugh behind a dignified and sympathetic expression; what would have been seen as condescending were it not for the fact that her relatively tame expression was nothing when compared to the ignominy being fired from the studio audience while the camera with the light on top swept across their faces for a perfect reaction-shot.

This was going to be a piece of cake. And with good reason, really. There was just no comparing these two people on stage, there was no real conflict or real academic argument to be had between them, but that's not how the audience will see it. The TV producers had wanted drama, a tired cliché of Science vs. Religion, to create friction where there was none before. And they would succeed. They would get their drama, broadcast their sensational controversy. But what they didn't know was that they hadn't done it on their own; it was Farmatek employees who had brought Martha Hall forward. It was Eva Pourais herself who had scouted the woman out. The perfect character to create controversy out of nothing and make great TV. The perfect character to present an antithesis of Farmatek to the small minds of the station's viewers.

Eva Pourais was pleased with her choice. It was going just as she predicted.

Each question asked created more of that meaningless friction between Eva Pourais' dignified and thoughtful responses and Martha Hall's ignorant bile. The more friction, the more the audience joined together in condemnation of Martha Hall. Whereas some might have felt pity if they learned how Martha Hall had been set up, Pourais knew that she also was getting what she wanted: media attention and justification for her hatred of the the world as that hate was reflected back upon her. Hall played her part well.

When the time came, each gave a closing statement. Pourais gave a rousing speech about the benefit of science to humanity and caveats of scientific responsibility to the morals of society. It was all worthless, of course - simple rhetoric with little to reflect her own views. For her, 'benefit to humanity' had nothing to do with traditional morals. Though it was only a guess, she had her own ideas about what was in store for humanity.

As she gave her final presentation, Eva Pourais looked on at the audience - her sculpted creation - and realised then that if such careful manipulation was needed to simply present the idea of progress, then there was little hope for these people. Unless something drastic happened, humanity, she decided, was destined to die here. Soon.

Her turn finished and applause rang out again. She bowed her head appreciatively and looked at her opposition with an encouraging smile.

"Well I don't think there's much point in me saying anything. No one is willing to listen to gospel truth these days. The world is going to hell and you're all just enjoying the ride."

Great start, thought Pourais.

"But I'm bound by Jesus, as are all of you, to evangelise and spread his message - especially his warnings. You've got to wake up, San Jose. You've got to wake up, America. You've got to reject these scientists for what they are: the lying servants of Satan."

Some laughter.

"If you stray from the path, the rules that we all need to live by, then God will be vengeful. If you spread lies and deception, God will be vengeful. Why do you need these people when all you need to know is written down for you already? For medicine? Well maybe you aught to think on the Bible some when you're sick. Maybe you aught'er pray a little instead of worshipping false prophets, handing over your hard-earned dollars for sugar pills and mushroom powder. And maybe, just maybe, instead of asking what the world owes you to keep you on your carnal feet, you should ask what it is you've done that you deserve it!"

A burst of outrage from the audience.

"Maybe - Stop! - You know we all got to suffer here, don't you go thinking the world owes you, that you're special. But this is what's happening: 'Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience'... Just look at you. Look at you! You can't even accept the truth, you won't even hear it. The end of the world is coming...”

She's right there, thought Pourais.

“And you're even proud of it. Well that's what you are, sons of disobedience, daughters of this woman here." She turned to Pourais. "And you, ma'am, are obviously under the influence of a demon!"

As the typically reactive audience began their booing and condemnation, Eva Pourais found the words reverberating around her mind. Influence of a Demon. The phrase repeated itself and began to shake loose an image. The image of Him.

She knew full well how much influence He had on her, but she was amused that her subconscious mind had made the link. He wasn't exactly the typical bad-boy.
    Last edited by Redesine; Aug 16th, 2011 at 07:30:53.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

ROFL This thread is now 20% cooler.

Can you do the artwork for the next chapter too?
    Last edited by Redesine; Aug 16th, 2011 at 19:19:26. Reason: Needs to be about 20% cooler
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

"The world is going to hell and you're all just enjoying the ride."

<3 Redesine, thanks for writing and posting this, looking forward to Ch2!

Quote Originally Posted by Truthdreamer View Post
    "The world is going to hell and you're all just enjoying the ride."

<3 Redesine, thanks for writing and posting this, looking forward to Ch2!
    Thanks! Glad you liked it.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Chapter 2

"What you have seen in these or other temples aren't the Xan gods themselves. They are distorted mirror images of the Brace, made real by the corrupted imaginations and the rupture in the world."
    - Halcyon Creed

San Jose, August 13th 2014

The Farmatek campus was quiet that night.

Not that it was ever a rowdy place, but something about it appeared empty, waiting to be filled. Perhaps it was just Eva Pourais' sense of anticipation projected onto the night's atmosphere. There was the hum of an air conditioner in the next apartment that seemed to get louder as she focused on it, building to a climax but never quite getting there. Hers was still waiting for maintenance before it could hum again. Instead her window was open and there was the faint chirp of cicadas from the trees on campus. The open window didn't help, though. It was a still and humid air, waiting to break at any time.

Soon He would be here.

Eva Pourais had let herself become so infatuated with Him that the time they spent together became like a dream. She felt shamed that she could have let herself become like like this. But it was only temporary. As interesting and enlightening as the experience had been, soon she would be ready to move on and she would leave Him. There were no real and tangible ties to this man, simply a feeling to be felt... no matter how much the thought of Him not being in her life made her chest constrict and her throat burn.

When He he had ceased to be interesting, when it was time for the experiment to stop, He would be cast aside just as easily as any of the other men who had been in her life.

She paced now in the darkness of the apartment, uncharacteristically tripping over the step in the two-tiered living area. After a short time she decided that pacing was not helping and just stood, gazing out of her large window that overlooked the campus gardens, on the other side of the gravel paths and well-kept hedges stood the administration buildings. She could see a ghostly shimmering there as the fountain in the courtyard reflected the outdoor lighting.

"Eva." The voice came from behind her, warm and rich.

"Dalja, you're late, as usual."

"I'm never late. You're always early."

She turned and fell into His chest, allowing herself a satisfied sigh. They embraced for a time and Pourais felt her anxiety levels fall as her head rested on his shoulder, one hand behind his back, the other in his wavy copper hair. Time flowed around them, unmeasurable and Pourais had no idea how much had passed when Dalja spoke up again.

"I heard Drake was asking about you."

Pourais pulled away and gave him a sceptical look.

"Oh yes, let's talk about Drake tonight. How romantic."

Dalja smiled and continued.

"I think he wants to bring you in on his Five Year Plan."

Pourais was silent, looking out of the window again. She had of course guessed that they would admit her into the the very inner circles of the company soon, but the implications if she was right about them...

"Do you know why you were promoted?"

"Because you are an HR uberboss and had ulterior motives?"

"No." He grinned at her, "Well, okay. Three reasons, actually. That being the first. Second: the dark arts."

She smiled and turned back to Him. Of course she knew that.

Pourais had taken on a few 'unusual' roles for the company that she guessed He was referring to now. After having been nominally in charge of behavioural research and testing, she now headed recruitment for the Campus Counselling Service. The therapists were hand-picked by herself in such a way that made sure there wasn't anything that went through the minds of the little folk that didn't eventually reach the top of her organisational structure; to people who had actual power and could act on the issues of the employees. Mainstream counsellors would have called this practice 'unethical'. To her it was simply an efficient, centralised way of caring for the community and keeping them at peak efficiency. On top of that, she had become a media figure, representing Farmatek whenever they decided her talents could be put to good use. Her graceful and charming air coupled by an understanding of media psychology made her the perfect face for a company that needed a friendly image.

"And third: death."

"Death?"

"Yes. Or perhaps, more importantly, the lack of it. I think they will ask you to organise a new study. They will want to understand how the human mind would cope with life without death. Do you think that's something you can do?"

"Well, there aren't exactly ideal conditions or a plethora of data available, but I can think of a couple of experiments off the top of my head... Why?"

"You're the smart one here, you tell me."

She had a pretty good idea, but didn't say anything. It still sounded ridiculous to her.

"Your doctoral thesis was on the fear of dying was it not? Now the Project needs to know about the fear of living."

Pourais nodded.

"What do you think about the whole thing?" Dalja asked.

Pourais hesitated for a second before answering. "You remember I did that TV debate last week?"

"I can't be expected to remember each television appearance you've done recently, but go on."

"It was ridiculous. The whole thing was a façade. I may as well have told them that diamonds are better than horse muck. But something occurred to me then; something that I should test and verify, but something that I don't think can be ignored. This inertia we need to overcome: I'm not sure it's possible. We can only groom them so much and if we don't catch them below an age threshold then we've wasted our time. The rate of technological advancement is exponential, essentially doubling every eighteen months, yet acceptance of new technologies and ways of life falls behind. People always find it difficult to adapt to changes even if they embrace them, but eventually they just stop trying to keep up. That's a constant while the progress meme wants to accelerate. It's a terribly fragile system and not one that seems to want to naturally stabilise. Look at the things I have to do for people to trust the progress sector - we're not where they want money going, but money comes here all the same. Either the whole thing will collapse or the process will stop and humanity will stagnate, or..."

Dalja betrayed an expression of surprise. If he saw a flaw in her logic, He didn't say so. Instead he said: "You can't save them all."

A moment passed between them where Pourais felt as though he had looked inside of her.

"You won't save them all," He continued.

"That's... what I thought."

She was silent for a time, trying to remember any occasion that she had seen Dalja actually walk through a door. The air was humid and making it feel like she was breathing through a wet rag. Maybe the heat made her forget. How many nights had they spent together? Not as many as it seemed. Ten, maybe? She had become lost in His world like she always did during those nights. She couldn't hear the air conditioner or the cicadas now, she couldn't see the reflected light on the admin buildings. Instead she saw her living room as if it was thousands of years old, like she was an archaeologist entering a long-forgotten tomb. It didn't feel like this was her home, it was an ancient relic. But where was her home? With her mother in Sarajevo? But she remembered Sarajevo as it had been twenty years ago: all but in ruins.

"Your home is the future, as in the future will all of mankind return home," said Dalja.

"Yes." She could see it: a distant rock waiting for her, a hot world... or maybe it was just the apartment.

"But there are things to do in the now. The conservatives have their own plans and the time to act must be soon." Dalja's voice seemed to come from far away. "They breed humans like dogs. Dogs that will be trained to accept them as their masters. They seek to stop all progress and destroy any remnants of it. They would see an eternal Dark Age."

The thought terrified Pourais, though she was aware she wasn't considering the problem rationally. Nevertheless perspiration beaded on her forehead and her breast heaved.

"We can still stop them?" she asked.

Dalja nodded. "But the breeding program must be stopped and you must join those who will take lead of the remnants. They will need you, for the promise of progress is not enough. Humanity must want to progress."

"It can't be too soon. You still have a promise to keep."

Dalja looked saddened, which was unusual. "I promised that your mother would be first on the list of test subjects once Miller has a stable formula. I cannot, however, force Miller to keep to a schedule."

Pourais was angry at that. "You know that's the very reason I came to San Jose. The day we first met you made that promise to me. I want her back like she was before, when she could comfort me when I was depressed, when we could go shopping together, visit museums. We had only just gotten our future back, the collapse finished, the siege over... we were starting life as it should be. And then it was taken away from us."

Pourais paused and her breathing slowly steadied. Dalja didn't say anything, so she continued. "Can you even keep that promise? Are you really such a high flyer? I know nothing about you really, what about your parents? Your mother? Before Farmatek?"

"My parents..." There was a hint of amusement in Dalja's eye then. "My parents are separated. They cannot tolerate each other now and it gets worse the older they get. They were shapers once; crafters. It seemed to me that they built the very world I lived in. And they worshipped me. They still do, in a different way. But I'm like you, you know. It's because of them that I am here... at Farmatek. I think they live through me sometimes. Their influence on me is absolute, their views are mine. They even taught me some of their skills. I wasn't always a paper-pusher. Let me show you this..."

Dalja produced a ring from nowhere. It seemed to be a kind of signet ring with some insignia or emblem fixed onto the metal hoop. As she looked, Pourais didn't notice what the ring was made of since she was fixated on the emblem. It was a symmetrical pattern of raised, black shapes set into a firey ember-coloured cabochon. Neither stone, nor metal she recognised but the raised pattern reminded her of a bird.

"It was the first item I crafted. And I want you to look after this while I am gone," said Dalja.

"Gone?"

"I need to leave here for a while. Maybe you agree."

Pourais nodded while her throat began convulsing and aching. She saw the world through a layer of water and blinked, fighting to retain her trademark grace. Dalja was offering her the ring now and it sat in the palm of His hand waiting for her, just an orange smear in her eyes. She saw it for what it really was: a symbol of commitment, of devotion. A hoop that would bind her to Him even stronger than she was bound now. There was still a tie that was stronger, though. And it occurred to her that this other tie was one of guilt rather than infatuation. But perhaps there was genuine love there that she could use to release herself from this man's spell.

"There is only one thing I want from you," she said.

"Name it."

"My mother back."

"I can only promise what I can deliver. And this promise you already have."

"Then let me keep this debt over you. I do not want to owe you anything. Even this ring."

He smiled then and nodded. "You are always as stubborn as you are shrewd. This is why they need you. Join them when the time comes... We will see each other again, Eva."

She squeezed her eyes to free up her vision for one last image of this man. "Before or after-?" she started to say, but when she opened them He was gone.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Great stuff Redesine!

I have a quick question, I tried to find more information on Dalja, however what I found was, rings, armor, Unredeemed garden key quest. Is there any lore on Dalja somewhere hidden?

If my posts here are in the way, please PM me Redesine, and I will remove them so your chapters join together!

TD
    John "Truthdreamer" Milton

Thank you again!

There's not a lot of specific info about Dalja in game. I took a lot of artistic license when writing this.

Here's what I'm basing my Dalja on, though:

According to the Yuttos in Scheol, Dalja is what the Xan Clergy originally called one of their gods in the Fourth "Brace" - along with Gilthar. Their followers coexited harmoniously until the cataclysm. And afterwards the corruption of the Unredeemed in Adonis created a twisted version of Dalja whom they worshipped.

The mob itself appears in the underwater temple in Adonis after Immortal Omega Eva Pourais is killed. Apparently, Dalja isn't too happy with that. And the ring it drops has a new icon with the insignia on it:

From Prophet Without Honour, we can be pretty certain that at least one of the Unredeemed gods appeared on Earth in human form in the 20th century to manipulate humanity's progression and help bring about the rise of the Omega in the beginning of the 21st century.

Hope that's helpful.

Oh, and there's a log of the Scheol quest on the Omlety forums if you're interested but don't fancy the legwork.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Thanks for the above reply on Dalja!

Quote Originally Posted by Redesine View Post
    From Prophet Without Honour, we can be pretty certain that at least one of the Unredeemed gods appeared on Earth in human form in the 20th century to manipulate humanity's progression and help bring about the rise of the Omega in the beginning of the 21st century.
    Hope that's helpful.
    In the above quote, are you referring to Vanya?

I know this has no real relevance, and might be a bit silly to discuss, but I never got the feeling that Vanya was a "God", but more of an angel (or rather fallen angel) of the Xan, a messenger of "God" in the form of a soldier if you wish.

I am speculating wildly of course, as you said yourself "artistic license", here I come!
    • "Vanya had the calm aloofness and firm posture of a trained soldier"
    • "Vanya seemed like the kind of man who would endure torture and accept death to protect his secrets"
    • Roman referring to Vanya: "It was as though he were bigger than life, a person harbouring great mysteries... like an angel, perhaps, or a demon."
    • "And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it." - Genesis 28:12

At the end of PWH when Vanya shows up again and greets Roman was a "Sixth Sense" moment! Brilliant!

Not pressuring you, but looking forward to more!

In Sotto's Story I also have Dalja taking on a Human Form, so I support this behavior
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I know this has no real relevance, and might be a bit silly to discuss, but I never got the feeling that Vanya was a "God", but more of an angel (or rather fallen angel) of the Xan, a messenger of "God" in the form of a soldier if you wish.
    I'd agree from the human perpective. Though Vanya is a god to the Unredeemed, and was a god to the Xan (though a lesser god than the Source).

Halcyon Creed in Scheol goes on and on about it, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Creed
    The Xan believed in not one god, but many, a so called polytheistic religion. They included in their faith a supreme being who was above the numerous gods, the creator of everything. [...]

In this kind of religion, the gods are often seen as complicated, each with their own personality. They may have different needs, demands, abilities, knowledge and ways to show their favor.

The Xan religion in particular was devoted to several pairs of greater beings in union. They called each of these pairs a Brace. These two would complement, support and consume each other and work in perfect balance as an example to what the Xan aspired to be. The Brace would always be two sides of the same, without any such thing as a defined 'good' and 'evil'. [...]

They identified and marked more gods throughout time.
    Early on, the Clergy had marked the first Brace as Aban and Thrak. As the Xan developed and their numbers grew, they discovered new Braces; Enel and Shere, Ocra and Roch, Gilthar and Dalja and finally, Cama and Vanya.

What you have seen in these or other temples aren't the Xan gods themselves.
    They are distorted mirror images of the Brace, made real by the corrupted imaginations and the rupture in the world. [...]

Suffice it to say that the "Braces" you see today are not what the Xan worshipped and shouldn't be confused with them. Yes, the redeemed and the unredeemed worship them as their deities, but they are not the same.
    But yeah I personally think the suggestion in PWH is that both Unred and Red dudes have been appearing on Earth for some time and are taken to be angels/demons. I think it's possible that they manipulated religions so that when humans reached the shadowlands, they would be recognised (Kind of like in Babylon 5 ). That's just my interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    In Sotto's Story I also have Dalja taking on a Human Form, so I support this behavior
    You too! I don't remember that one. I was using Cama in Red's story but I didn't want to use the name and kept it vague.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Halcyon Creed in Scheol goes on and on about it, if you're interested.
    Yes! Very interested, I'm still processing it... If it was an inconsistency or intended.

Please forgive my ignorance though. Haven't been beyond Nascene as of yet.

This excerpt makes Vanya's status as a God even more dubious in PWH:

“God in heaven,” Roman whispered, “this is impossible.”

“To your God…perhaps,” said the thing that was Vanya.

On the surface it looked much the same as the man who’d brought him out of the Soviet Union twenty-seven thousand years ago. Beneath the tanned face and the ordinary clothes, however, there lurked something darker and older than time itself, something not human, not even close. Roman couldn’t explain how he knew that; he just did. And though the creature spoke in a human voice, spoke Russian even, the sound was of razorblades on steel:

“We have destroyed our gods, so I wouldn’t know. Nothing is impossible to us, Roma. Life is a dream, and death a rude awakening.”

The creature spread its wide arms wide and grinned an awfully toothy grin. “Welcome to the future, Comrade.”
    Last edited by Truthdreamer; Aug 21st, 2011 at 17:36:26.

You too! I don't remember that one. I was using Cama in Red's story but I didn't want to use the name and kept it vague.
    I had part of the story up for a while and then took it down. As a spoiler, Dalja is directly responsible for Sotto's demise.

Yes! Very interested, I'm still processing it... If it was an inconsistency or intended.

Please forgive my ignorance though. Haven't been beyond Nascene as of yet.
    I don't think there's an inconsistency there, myself. Just a matter of perception. Whatever he may or may not be, the Unredeemed consider him to be a god while humans saw him as an angel/demon.

I wouldn't say you're ignorant either. If you've read PWH once then you've quite possibly read it more times than most of the devs!

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I had part of the story up for a while and then took it down. As a spoiler, Dalja is directly responsible for Sotto's demise.
    Out of curiosity: was your Dalja male, too?
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Out of curiosity: was your Dalja male, too?
    Female originally. Then Foos convinced me, somehow, that Dalja was a male so I adjusted my story. I still want to believe Dalja is a female tho.

Interesting. See, the Unred in Ado seem to consider Dalja to be female:

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte Gil Enel
    So, you people want to try getting a shot at Mrs. Megalomania herself? [...] Well, you know...Dalja! That mother of all nincompoops!
    (Though I do wonder if he's actually refering to Eva there.)

Anyway I decided that he/she is above such petty things as gender when he/she goes a-manipulating.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

naw, i still believe he refers to dalja, but when the little tyke wants to spawn dalja he says something like "she sent her champion instead" & vanishes. So while mrs megalomania (dalja) is supposed to come the omega shows up instead
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

*cough* Chapter 3 *cough*

never read the book(s), and won't either can't use anything out of it ICly anyway (unless it's supposed to be played that everyone landing on RK got to study those books ICly as "historial background")

aka: i just go with what i think goes on ICly on the moment
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.