Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auras and Flags

Auras and Flags

One of the most annoying parts about duelling or when you just zone with auras on, they flag you and will more or less guarantee a trip to reclaim.

I suggest that all hostile and debuffing auras should be unable to land on another player or it's pet unless both players are:
    1) Flagged.
    2) 0%-25% gas.
    3) Engaged in a duel with eachother.

This of course goes for AoE attacks as well and this is a long lived problem that AO has had over the years. I hope to see this get changed once rebalance makes it here (or earlier if possible! :P).
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

No, all in all YOU are running with offensive auras on, your choice.
    220/30 Lordlawrence
    200/2x Pampero
    Ever wondered what's like making an OP toon? 30/3 Forum
    25/3 Killergoa

Quote Originally Posted by -LL- View Post
    No, all in all YOU are running with offensive auras on, your choice.
    No. It still shouldn't flag the player and I see no reason for it to. It's obvious your only reason for saying no to this is because you enjoy griefing players that has said auras running. The only thing this system do is discourage players to use a part of their toolset in fear of being flagged in locations where they shouldn't be flagged.

Name one good reason for it to stay the way it is now.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg

Agreed. In general getting flagged should never be able to happen on accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    Agreed. In general getting flagged should never be able to happen on accident.
    they don't, turn off your offensive auras and you will be fine.

Offensive auras are an important part of some professions toolsets.
    IMO, there should be an option for whether or not you want to engage in PvP action. (Grace periods not affected by said option, of course)
    The option would have to be easily accessible.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

I dunno, I side on the whole not getting flagged unless it's intentional. Someone getting a flag and running up to someone using hostile auras or AoE nukes shouldn't get the caster flagged. Wonder how much code it would be to write up a if caster is flagged, then run it on flagged people/do damage to them (AoE nukes). If the caster isn't, then to disregard them.
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

wtb mongo not flagging me..

It is annoying having to manually cancel a nanoprogram to avoid being flagged.
    Getting flagged should be something base on an action.

Some players need to stop moaning about EVERYTHING. How hard is it to cancel your off auras. If you don't want to flag up, pay attention to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by badorde View Post
    It is annoying having to manually cancel a nanoprogram to avoid being flagged.
    Getting flagged should be something base on an action.
    well you are doing an action, though automated... you casted that nanoprogram on yourself, knowing very well it's an aura and can cause those things.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    well you are doing an action, though automated... you casted that nanoprogram on yourself, knowing very well it's an aura and can cause those things.
    Yes I casted the nano 10 min ago, so calm can land on aliums, not so scumlet camping grid can AS me before I finish mish
    Its not nubfriendly is all im saying.

nothing is nubfriendly, cause nubs refuse to learn the game... newbies (something different then nubs) will die the first times too but learn from it.

you are 100% aware how the nano functions and for how long. It's a risk that comes with it. Next thing you know people will be asking that the game auto fires your specials when available, cause they forgot to press the button.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaguar View Post
    Some players need to stop moaning about EVERYTHING. How hard is it to cancel your off auras. If you don't want to flag up, pay attention to the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    nothing is nubfriendly, cause nubs refuse to learn the game... newbies (something different then nubs) will die the first times too but learn from it.

you are 100% aware how the nano functions and for how long. It's a risk that comes with it. Next thing you know people will be asking that the game auto fires your specials when available, cause they forgot to press the button.
    I dare you both to say at least one good reason to keep it as it is now. Because right now you are just helping our cause, and we thank you for it!

Rafeg

Because removing things like the offensive auras flagging you would just help to dumb down the game even more. Some of us LIKE the fact that if you're not paying attention you can die sometimes.
    So you got ganked after being flagged by an aura? Boo-****ing-hoo. I'm sure it was just terrible for you.

Just take it as a lesson. Cancel your offensive auras in future & boom, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    I dare you both to say at least one good reason to keep it as it is now. Because right now you are just helping our cause, and we thank you for it!
    Here is one great reason :

Make off auras reset on zones, and than you'll get another bunch of unhappy crats or w/e cause they have to rebuff the auras each time they zone and omg that's just as annoying as removing them if you enter in 75%- gas.

Don't be so lazy and pay attention to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikey View Post
    Because removing things like the offensive auras flagging you would just help to dumb down the game even more. Some of us LIKE the fact that if you're not paying attention you can die sometimes.
    So you got ganked after being flagged by an aura? Boo-****ing-hoo. I'm sure it was just terrible for you.

Just take it as a lesson. Cancel your offensive auras in future & boom, problem solved.
    How exactly is fixing a broken mechanic dumbing down the game? Is the complexity in AO all about giving a few professions a huge hassle and force them to cancel buffs everytime they leave an encounter or zone? Is that what you consider intelligent design or complexity in a game?

The paying attention part should be directed for real PvP or PvM encounters, not some occurance that happens when you are in a safe zone due to something the AO development team couldn't fix 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaguar View Post
    Here is one great reason :

Make off auras reset on zones, and than you'll get another bunch of unhappy crats or w/e cause they have to rebuff the auras each time they zone and omg that's just as annoying as removing them if you enter in 75%- gas.

Don't be so lazy and pay attention to the game.
    There has been no such suggestion in this thread, this thread is focused on people getting flagged because of auras when it is unintended. Read the thread and feel free to post again after you have.
    Last edited by Rurounin; Aug 29th, 2011 at 07:40:43. Reason: Spelling

Rafeg

I don't consider it anything even close to a broken mechanic myself, so I can't agree with anything you said. If you can't figure out how to cancel an offensive aura before you go into public areas with low supression, that's your problem, not anybody elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    There has been no such suggestion in this thread, this thread is focused on people getting flagged because of auras when it is unintended. Read the thread and feel free to post again after you have.
    OH OH ... wait a minute ... let's not be presumptuous here. How do you know it's not intended that auras flag players? I never seen FC say that and it has been flagging players since day 1. Seems intended to me. If it's not, I haven't seen FC say it needs to be fixed either. Let's not make your opinion into a fundamental truth to support your argument.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    OH OH ... wait a minute ... let's not be presumptuous here. How do you know it's not intended that auras flag players? I never seen FC say that and it has been flagging players since day 1. Seems intended to me. If it's not, I haven't seen FC say it needs to be fixed either. Let's not make your opinion into a fundamental truth to support your argument.
    Sigh... he's not talking about FCs inentions smartass, he's saying the player with the offensive aura didn't intend to participate in pvp.

That being said, I'm against offensive auras not flagging people with the current system since it would mean that people with offensive auras could "pocket-debuff" flagged people without getting flagged themselves. Maybe if it's possible to change the system so the debuff doesn't land at all if the caster isn't already flagged.
    Last edited by Phargus; Aug 29th, 2011 at 15:09:16.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast