Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 2nd, 2011 - Engine Screenshots - Tir

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    If that's your definition of an MMO then I'm pretty sure we can start to put games like Bad Company and Call of Duty into that pot as well, as you log in, lvl up, play with the same people etc..
    Well, considering the direction most MMOs are taking, the difference is starting to be really small between a MMO and `non-massive` multiplayer game.

I mean, the ´world´ is mostly a hub with PvE and PvP content inside instances. Diablo (or FPS) are not that far from that with battle.net (steam?) being the hub.

In theory, MMOs have an open world where the amount of players isn't limited. But it's often limited by technology. AO kicks players out of the tower field and, even then, the game is barely enjoyable.

AO is definitely closer to a standard multiplayer game than EVE with its 1-2k pilots wars.
    blah

I'd say that EVE is about equally unplayable however there's the fact that the world is constant in AO, while you're fighting towers in EFP, someone is lvling in Inferno and doing battle in BS or outside fighting some other tower war in a different zone. All of them can at any moment break away and travel to your location and take part in what you're doing, but it's all interconnected at all times.

In Diablo your worlds are individualy generated and allow only a limited amount of people to take part in each world, at a time, and there's no interconnection between what players in each their shard of the generated world is doing.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

They still need to sort out the sky. Otherwise its just going to look almost exactly the same, but with shadows.

Seriously. Look at the sky from the ogre engine video 3 years ago. Even with the same old textures, it made the game look incredible.
    'Fbwhitey' : 220/26 Nano NT [PvP]
    'Garnerana' : 220/22 Trox Keeper [PvM]
    'Zinc' : 220/30 Trox Doctor [PvP]
    'Whex' : 171/22 Trox Soldier

however there's the fact that the world is constant in AO, while you're fighting towers in EFP, someone is lvling in Inferno and doing battle in BS or outside fighting some other tower war in a different zone. All of them can at any moment break away and travel to your location and take part in what you're doing, but it's all interconnected at all times.
    And it's exactly the same in other games. BS and inferno missions are instances, just like a random map on a random server. The only difference is that, in AO, some actions have long term effects on the `world` (i.e.: towers). But it's quite small though and most games don't even have that.

MMO is just a bad term anyway (thank you Richard Garriott :|).
    blah

Tir4.jpg FTW
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Erthande View Post
    So when is this all coming out?

Q4, 2011?

Q1, 2012?

let me draw a timeline for you (not to scale)

X <-- now
    |
    X <-- Q1 2012
    |
    X<-- WWIII
    |
    X<-- bobby kotick driving blizzard into the ground after milking the last penny out of the last wow subscriber
    |
    X<-- pigs learn to fly
    |
    X <-- richard garriot regains sanity
    |
    X <-- first pokemon discovered.
    |
    X <-- balance/graphics update for ao comes out
    |
    X <-- end of zee world
    Last edited by CuisinartBlade; Sep 6th, 2011 at 19:21:17. Reason: cleaned up timeline

wait, pokemon are real :O NOOOOOOOOOOOO couldn't they discover it when i was younger! *puts on hat*
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by cuisinartblade View Post
    x <-- end of zee world
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Erthande View Post
    On the flip side, I hope the new engine will be out for Christmas.
    It is...what... 109 days till Christmas? Seems very unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    let me draw a timeline for you (not to scale)

X <-- now
    |
    X <-- Q1 2012
    |
    X<-- WWIII
    |
    X<-- bobby kotick driving blizzard into the ground after milking the last penny out of the last wow subscriber
    |
    X<-- pigs learn to fly
    |
    X <-- richard garriot regains sanity
    |
    X <-- first pokemon discovered.
    |
    X <-- balance/graphics update for ao comes out
    |
    X <-- end of zee world
    Your last 2 timeline entries are out of order. World ends first, then the robots that took over the planet finally finish the new engine and rebalance for AO.

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
    Your last 2 timeline entries are out of order. World ends first, then the robots that took over the planet finally finish the new engine and rebalance for AO.
    This :P

Quote Originally Posted by tzalman View Post
    I'm thinking a "1st half 2012" release on the new engine. I hope its closer than that buts what seems most logical right now. What do you all think? (Kintai and Means too)
    ppl been thinking "1st half 2011" "1st half 2010" "1st half 2009" "1st half 2008"... before

most logical is: too much work to go and way too less manpower, it will never be done.
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

What really gets me is not that people expect to get this engine done asap, but that they expect it to get done when they aren't paying for the game anymore. The way I look at it is that with everyone cancelling their account until said rebalance and engine, Funcom isn't getting the money they need to get more resources (coders, designers, etc.).

If everyone continues down this path, Funcom won't be able to make enough money to fund this project. If everyone resubscribes to the game, the population will rise so there are more people to do things with, and Funcom will generate more revenue to hire more people so they can get the engine up and running so much faster.
    Prosthetics:: 220/23/48 Doctor -Now Atrox and loving it!
    Slaveofhate:: 214/22/56 Shade -Progress (still)
    Otdude:: 150/9/35ish Soldier - Froob-to-paid
    Incellie:: 131/0/0 Meta-Physicist -Froob-to-paid

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetics View Post
    What really gets me is not that people expect to get this engine done asap, but that they expect it to get done when they aren't paying for the game anymore. The way I look at it is that with everyone cancelling their account until said rebalance and engine, Funcom isn't getting the money they need to get more resources (coders, designers, etc.).

If everyone continues down this path, Funcom won't be able to make enough money to fund this project. If everyone resubscribes to the game, the population will rise so there are more people to do things with, and Funcom will generate more revenue to hire more people so they can get the engine up and running so much faster.
    So basically, people should donate money ( stay subscribed ) to support the devs? Ain't gonna happen. They'd have a better chance just adding a "Donate" button to the launcher for the few remaining loyalist to pitch in.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetics View Post

Do you normally pay for a house before it's built? Move in when they're still tiling the floor? Engine was announced in 2007. Balance patch in 2008 or so. Back when a lotta people were playing, and I'll wager it kept a lot of players (like me) paying longer than we were wont to. Both remain incomplete without even a possible horizon to peak over when it will be done.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Do you normally pay for a house before it's built? Move in when they're still tiling the floor? Engine was announced in 2007. Balance patch in 2008 or so. Back when a lotta people were playing, and I'll wager it kept a lot of players (like me) paying longer than we were wont to. Both remain incomplete without even a possible horizon to peak over when it will be done.
    The house analogy is pretty bad, though, since you're probably not going to pay the entire bill for the craftsmen in one go.

As for the relation to videogame development, I don't know if you've been keeping up with the news lately, but that is exactly what you're doing with quite a lot of games. Some of the most succesful games these past years have been pay-to-alpha/beta and support development.

Should Funcom have something like this? Well, AO is an indie game. So, why couldn't they?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Smile

I recently came back to check out Anarchy as it was my first mmo and I have been bored to tears with the current offerings in the market place. I thought hey, its free now so why not just see what its like. Well, I have since resubbed my 3 old accounts and added a 4th. I simply love the depth of this game.

This game has so much depth on the player development side that no other game can come even close to. I am not sure why it took me so long to come back but I am so glad I did.

Anyways I plan on being back for quite some time. I am not suggesting that all with Funcom is perfect but the game is awesome. I would suggest they work on their customer service skills.

Gorg

The house analogy is pretty bad, though, since you're probably not going to pay the entire bill for the craftsmen in one go.
    The point is you buy a house finished unless you're some sort of investor and developing the land... which isn't what a typical gamer is. Anyway maybe it's a sucky analogy but pay-to-develop makes very little sense when they aren't marketing and have an attitude of game-in-terminal-decline approach to public relations.
    As for the relation to videogame development, I don't know if you've been keeping up with the news lately, but that is exactly what you're doing with quite a lot of games. Some of the most succesful games these past years have been pay-to-alpha/beta and support development.
    Yeah so minecraft etc did that but they are novel and unique in their own way. AO is only unique in that everyone else started making MMOs differently after WoW came out and no one followed in AO's path for a number of very good reasons (the neverending balance patch being the most visible sign of how difficult AO's "choice" has become for the devs). It doesn't have enough of a "hook" to be worth paying to support development - especially development of a 5-year-old graphic engine and mere "game balance" (what every MMO does anyway, supposedly). remember all the promises of LE (and then the disappointment)? This isn't even half that
    Should Funcom have something like this? Well, AO is an indie game. So, why couldn't they?
    AO is "indie" in what sense exactly? That FC fail at game development so aren't big enough to be a real game developer?
    Last edited by Chrys; Sep 9th, 2011 at 09:29:46.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

well they still getting my 5x 1 year sub a year .
    wtb engine beta ~!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast