Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weapon balance?

Quote Originally Posted by fortorn View Post
    STOP ENDGAME CONTENT. I want starting encounters and mid-game encounters that are valid and fun. This game suffers from a high degree of freedom to move... but most of the world to move in is not worth exploring.
    Dead endgame = dead game. I'll agree to focusing more on leveling content, though, AS LONG AS such encounters (a) are not more profitable than endgame ones, and (b) does not introduce items that are going to be desirable to players already long past it.

IE: No more Sector 10s.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Oct 22nd, 2011 at 01:00:52.
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by MajorOutage View Post
    Dead endgame = dead game. I'll agree to focusing more on leveling content, though, AS LONG AS such encounters (a) are not more profitable than endgame ones, and (b) does not introduce items that are going to be desirable to players already long past it.

Totally agree on both counts.

Good post by OP.

When at first CoH weapons were introduced, everyone were happy. It was counterstrike for Perennium weapons. But, as I have stated it before - melee users had greater adventage then ranged. Be it TOTW (frost/desolator) or further, CoH weapons. Bad thing is that they do insane dmg everywhere (my lvl 75 enf does dmg around 1-2k/hit even in SL, but not Ely hecks of course). and they are only weapon choce for froobs till 200. This is blind curve. Also, they are nice addidion in PvP (Chiropetra for example) from lvl 60 to 150 and sometimes at 170. I wouldn't say they need to go, but some adjustemen in speed would be welcome.

Another story is about starup guns and shop guns. They were and are uber junk. Often they have mixed skills, very low damage and making new player unable to solo yellow mobs in reasonable time. But most are touched soldiers - trust me in that, I have rolled like 15 soldiers and always suffered by FA requirements on weapons and Implant design+lack of FA buff at low level. This force to use burst and sometimes fling, which - with low dmg - is worse combo imho.

From the other side adding new, more powerful weapons for lowbies will END in same way like those from CoH/ToTW or SL Perennium's. So, I think best way to rework this is to change current weapons, by increasing dmg by 15-20 on each weapon from light infantry/artillery (SMG's, Pistols, 1he, 1hb) and by 30-40 in heavy infantry/artillery (2hb,2he, Assault rifles, Melee energy, Range Energy).

Adding new weapon will be same as all "upgrades" of loot table - it will end, that players will use only one weapon till they can get Coh Weapon... ect,. Story will be the same.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Galilei View Post
    One such weapon in-game is Enhanced Queen Blade - it has massive damage but is difficult to cap in speed. Not an useful weapon since it has 1200 attack rating cap and it's slow even when capped the attack/recharge speeds. If this weapon and other similar weapons were tweaked/added, then we might see some different builds...
    Precisely, weapons like Punishment Rod deserve to be revisited for some tweaks.

Also, I stand by my point that nerfing is not the solution but simply creating other alternatives for players in terms of weapons they can acquire during their levelling. They don't need to be better than CoH weapons, they just need to come as an alternative to them or as temporary solutions until you can get one of them CoH weapons.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Are level 60 froobs actually able to get on coh weapons now? I could be wrong but I thought it was only possible with expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorOutage View Post

Which is where funcom has already run into a problem, endgame was reached 5 years ago with AI and Shadowlands, everything since then has still been max 300 QL and 'around' the same stats, all they have done is added items to fill in slots that used to be garbage.

If you want real end game content you either have to scale new content to new gear or have instances actually require a certain amount of gearing in order to accomplish them. Beast, LoX, Dreads, everything can be done with 2-3 people - how is this end game?

I wanted to post the quote but I can't seem to find it - funcom would never implement what the end game actually needs because then people would have to play the game instead of sitting on IRC drinking coffee for a $10 a month chat program.
    Grenadearchy Online
    Takun - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Crit Monster - Overlord of Mortar Kombat
    Grenades - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Leveling Monster - Advisor of Mortar Kombat

Grenade Infos
    Pure DPS - [Setup] - 1701 Fling to cap Sloth - 1% crit is equal to ~28+ damage
    Agg/Def: 100% - 1440 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 150 Ranged Init to cap Sloth
    Agg/Def: 0% - 2640 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 1650 Ranged Init to cap Sloth

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Are level 60 froobs actually able to get on coh weapons now? I could be wrong but I thought it was only possible with expansions.
    At least Panther and Chiroptera are possible to wear on level 60 froobs.
    [220/30/70] Fixer, [199/24] Shade, [150/20] Trader, [150/19] Crat, [136] Fixer, [71/6]Agent, [60/6]Enforcer + bunch of other alts

Quote Originally Posted by Takun View Post
    Which is where funcom has already run into a problem, endgame was reached 5 years ago with AI and Shadowlands, everything since then has still been max 300 QL and 'around' the same stats, all they have done is added items to fill in slots that used to be garbage.

If you want real end game content you either have to scale new content to new gear or have instances actually require a certain amount of gearing in order to accomplish them. Beast, LoX, Dreads, everything can be done with 2-3 people - how is this end game?

I wanted to post the quote but I can't seem to find it - funcom would never implement what the end game actually needs because then people would have to play the game instead of sitting on IRC drinking coffee for a $10 a month chat program.
    Sadly true. Maybe when the rebalance and engine upg...

Ah, who am I kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    I helped a friend back in late 2005/early 2006 getting a Panther on his 60 froob trox enfo, and even back then it wasn't something new. Nowadays you can put Howlets on level 60 froobs.

As we know there's thousands of different weapons in AO but only a small fraction of them is found useful for actual combat. When 80%-90% of weapons are useless junk, then something has gone wrong in the design process [...]
    That is if you assume that all these weapons were actually meant to be used as such, which I doubt. There is a lot of loot which is clearly designed as junk to be sold to shops (or left rotting in the corpses). That aside, more variety on useful weapons would be most welcome.

Something is also wrong when a player (froob) starts using his end game weapon at level 60. He'll have to use the same weapon for the next 140 levels without any real weapon choices - this is one of the boring things in this game, why bother to level up when there's nothing left to achieve?
    It's not the very same weapon, but I know where you are aiming at. 2he also offers some choices later on, depending on what you are looking for. I levelled with ITDs on my froob enfo and use the very same ones since level 117 ... But nothing left to achieve on a froob enfo? Tank Ian Warr in a froob only raid maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotric View Post
    It needs to be moved from this idea that unless you can cap everything about it (weapon speed in full def, special speeds etc) that its no good.
    I could write a wall of text here with all the experiences I made in that regard while levelling my froob soldier, but I wont. Instead, I just say: Yes, please!

I totally agree with that, that's why I choose on my return a Engie and no other prof

Beside Tradeskilling (Crafting) which is for me a important part of an MMO, as Engie you have constant access to new and better fitted "weapons".

One reason why I left AO in the past is that you have problems to find an nearly equal weapon for the level. so you get to point where the mobs make more damage than you can take and thats frustating if you cant change the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Takun View Post
    everything since then has still been max 300 QL and 'around' the same stats.
    AOs QL300 means nothing.
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=269194 and http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=269901
    same QL and so different stats.

other games has tables where item is converted to item-points based on its QL and stats costs those points, 1 health = 0.2 itempoints, 0.1 crit = 3 item-points, 1 add min damage = 2 itempoints and so on. and then points are distributed so that there isnt any left.

better item QL would mean higher stats, but not in AO for some reason :/

noticed my examples are armors and not weapons, but same method applies, AOs item QL and stats are picked at random without any relation between them.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Dec 30th, 2011 at 13:27:51.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

You're right about QLs being meaningless but his point about item stagnation still stands. Most of the endgame items added in the last few years have fallen into one of three categories: items for slots that previously had no real endgame item (DB/Alb bracers), items that are useful for twinking or are situational sidegrades to established endgame items (DB armour), and items that upgrade old endgame items (Xan upgrades, etc).
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    The problem with SoM is that people can get their higher level friends to kill everything they need in there for it, which ruins the instance and makes it just a hoop to jump through instead of an interesting challenge. The content itself is pretty good, though it's a bit linear and lacking some storyline.
    Pfff... how wrong.. I wonder how you come to this conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Which point was she wrong on?

I think SoM is a cool place, but that robe is really all I ever need, and the cave is so long, and i can team my 220. Pretty much sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    It's not wrong ... I do it all the time and I do see the ability for a 220 to blitz gear for lowbies as a problem. I don't see how that is an intended method to complete the dungeon given the level of the mobs.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    It's not wrong ... I do it all the time and I do see the ability for a 220 to blitz gear for lowbies as a problem. I don't see how that is an intended method to complete the dungeon given the level of the mobs.
    I don't really see beacon warping level 20s to the corpse of the guy at the end "completing" a dungeon. This is the preferred method, certainly this wasn't intended.
    Waiting for a cure.

I agree, which is why I was perplexed when I was being told how wrong I was when reaching the same conclusion you are.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12