Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RE: Ancient Novictum Refiner = NoDrop

Question: Why change it at all?

I would not mind a bit more information about this.

However, I can think of two possible reasons:
    1. To stop the sale of an item that originally may have been intended only acquired by quests, or by camping an NPC. I can hardly understand that this has been a major problem, justifying the introduction of a new moneysink.
    2. To lower the threshold of the pocket boss tradeskilling world a notch.

In both cases, I assume that FC still wants the player to pay a little for it. 1 hour gametime in Jobe Scientists Quest (http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?...&link=2&id=270) if you are newbie or low on creds, alternatively 10-15m for a player who is actively working with pocket boss tradeskilling, both seem like a reasonable price for me, considering that PBs make a significant income for many players, myself included.

Given that there is a mechanism in the game that computes a mathematical relationship between retail price and resale price in shops, it will be pretty obvious, at least in my little world, that it will be absolutely necessary to make the item nodrop. If I am not mistaken, this very mechanism has caused problems before, hence FC's attempt to avoid something similar in this case.

The chance that froob tradeskillers accidentally had the item on the wrong toon was probably fairly minimal. This should be possible to correct through a petition.
    Proctorial 220/30/70 Crat setup
    Freedonnadd 220/30/70 MA setup
    Patentia 220/30/70 Engi setup

Raidwipe 220/30/70 Doc
    ····crat··cratcrat···········crat·····cratcratcrat
    ·crat·····crat···crat······cratcrat·······crat
    crat······cratcrat·······crat····crat·····crat
    ·crat·····crat··crat····crat·crat·crat····crat
    ····crat··crat····crat··crat······crat····crat

--------------- ··· The One Profession ··· ------------------
    Oh no! A crat sprung! It's crawling with crats! You failed disarming the crat!
    MassDestruct 200/20 NT · Goonish 60 Enfo saved on newbie island o.o

Also I don't think its possible for them to set the resale value of things independently.

An item will have its value stat (as seen in databases) and then shops use this in their calculations as to how much it will sell and buy it for, raising its value to make the store sell it for more would result in a higher sell price thats linked, and I doubt they'd go and change all the mechanics for 1 item.

Or at least that how I make it out to be.

Xyphos says

Value Cr 1

to

Value Cr 21,000,000

Yeah I'd say they changed it! No way for them to separate buy price mechanics from sell price mechanics probably. Should have been left at 1 cred tho, no way this item is ever going to be a viable 'credsink', useless annoying change IMO.
    Rosss / Rawdeal

My AO YouTube vids

The Red Brotherhood My home and family!

I don't get this either. How were we supposed to 'exploit' this tool's new value in shop? It was unique, which means that even if we KNEW about the incoming value change we would've been only able to get one of them for each toon to sell. Which would've been stupid since we probably need a few of these to make the pb's anyway. And we didn't know about the incoming value change any more than we knew about it going nodrop.

Thanks for this stupid change, i too have a couple of ANR's stuck on my froob bank toons.

One more nail to the coffin. Not too many missing anymore...
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    We are aware of this issue and we will address it. Though we have other credit issues doesn't mean we should introduce another one.
    Are there any plans to introduce more consistent ways to earn credits for the entire level span?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    I don't get this either. How were we supposed to 'exploit' this tool's new value in shop? It was unique, which means that even if we KNEW about the incoming value change we would've been only able to get one of them for each toon to sell.............
    I think the reason might be that they where afraid that people would redo the short quest and sell the ANR's. However to stop that form being exploited, make it paying accounts (aka SL or full) only, and doable only once.

This way people would maximum be able to make 60mill (very "ish" as i have no clue what they actually would sell for, but i think this would be maximum) per account.

The only way to get around this that i can think of is if people would make a char, do this quest, then sell the ANR and reroll the char again.

This could in turn be fixed by slapping a level rec on the quest making it not worth the money/time.

Thumbs down

I got a headache from reading this discussion even.

Why fix something that aint broken.

Why fiddle with something so INSIGNIFICANT to the game.

Why make a quick fix for a unforseen problem, that causes more headache for players than what existed before patch.

Why, why, why.......

Just leave it as it was?

Why spend time discussing something so silly and pointless even, is this really how devs spend their working hours?

I hope the TSW devs know their priorities better.
    Arcticangel 220 adv
    Arctica 220 soldier
    Labbetuss 220 engi
    Glacier 220 crat
    Mullophys 213 MP
    ---------------------------------
    General of Ragnarok

the quest isn't repeatable, afaik, unless theres a glitch somewhere that we're not aware of.

also, the effort one would go through to keep rolling new toons, in order to make a few mil is insanely inefficient. walking into a static dungeon and killing mobs for 20 mins will earn far more credits from the pearls, then the many hours of time it would take to get a new toon to Scheol and do first leg of scientist quest.

farming refiners before patch, to sell to shop after patch, is again such a waste of time to earn credits. I honestly hadn't considered it.

- why was the price on them raised to begin with?
    - why was the next step taken to make them noderp, instead of just scrapping the idea of raising their value?
    - why weren't they just removed from yuttos altogether?

these are legit questions that have alot of players concerned. really, who is making these decisions? I will likely never have to buy a refiner, so this post isn't out of rage or anything, just out of confusion.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

really, who is making these decisions?
    probably the same ones that put the new Kits in game, made them OP, then realized they were OP, and instead of making them less OP, added the req that noone in the team can be in combat...
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    probably the same ones that put the new Kits in game, made them OP, then realized they were OP, and instead of making them less OP, added the req that noone in the team can be in combat...
    If only that stopped people from lift hopping, sitting at the other side, and instantly using it when the person chasing them crosses through. Makes it pretty difficult to kill anyone who hugs lifts that you can't alpha or stun.

Suggestion:
    Add Unique tag back, remove it from rotation and change it to way you pay it by giving NPC the 10 or 15M, price back to 1.

I don't belive this would have been a real issue anyway. Unique tag would have meant very limited amount of them, and just being able to buy in the first place...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotric View Post
    Also I don't think its possible for them to set the resale value of things independently.
    I'm betting that if they wanted to, they could. A lot of people don't seem to realize how lazy Funcom actually is when it comes to their games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    One more nail to the coffin. Not too many missing anymore...
    Agreed. FC needs to realize that their game is dying (and before the fanboys come in with "wah wah people have been saying that since 2001", yes, they have, but when has it been any more true than now? Go log on and tell me how many people you see. Then think about how much it actually costs to run these servers and pay these developers - it costs more than they're making from the game) and stop making dumb choices. I still have my account paid, but I'm contemplating canceling that and never giving FC money again. I've tried AoC, basically once FC realized they couldn't kill WoW they moved onto their next big project, TSW, and left AoC to rot. It seems to get slightly more than minimal developer support (since I'd say that AO gets less).

Actually FC do know the game is dying, but obviously cannot say it for commercial reasons. But a commercial product that has had no marketing buzz of any kind (whether viral, paid, or promotional) for several years is a sure sign of the company considering it retired. Or a completely incompetent management, but I doubt it's that.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    We had to make the item nodrop because the price had been increased. So to prevent a lot of money being generated in to the economy, the easiest solution was to make it nodrop. That way people wouldn't be able to farm these items before the patch to make money off of them. Also the ancient novictum refiner is used for pocket-boss tradeskills. Froob characters cannot kill these pocket-bosses.

If this is a huge issue, we can add the item in a store on RK.

Sorry for the inconvenience this have caused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    There's apparently also a "easy quest" to obtain the item.
    I am not sure where or who is the source for the comment that there is an 'easy quest' to get a novictum refiner ...

The only quest I found was the Scientist quest-line in Scheol. That quest is way beyond NOT EASY!! I just did it in a team with lvl 115ish toons. It took us 5 hours just to go thru the quest far enough to get the novictum refiner and we needed outside help for the Voidlings ... that is rediculous. Having the refiner in shops for 18m is also not a good alternative.

If the refiners are going to stay a Nodrop Quest Item then there needs to be a short quest either in Nanscence or Ely to get the refiner. After all it is required for pb's found in all SL playfields and for the key quests beginning with Scheol.

No way am I ever doing the Scheol quest again ...

Colrain

note the ", i think it was sarcasm
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Actually, the exact quote is "Ancient Novictum Refiner can now be bought from the Yutto Tools vendors. It is pricey when purchased directly from the Yuttos but may also be obtained for free from a short quest." - Taken from the 18.4.8 Patch Notes.

I still don't know what quest they're refering to, though. Anyone checked if the yuttos have new dialog options?
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

^^ I think the definition of short here falls adequately in line with how the developers generally perceive time with their schedule. Soon
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

So we get answers on some misc thing about how increased purchase price means increase sale price - but we get nothing on the actually important questions like why was it messed with in the first place?
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

I tried talking with the Yuttos for the 'short quest' but no luck ...

If there is a new quest somewhere that is in fact 'short' I have not found it ...

Colrain

Quote Originally Posted by Colrain View Post
    I tried talking with the Yuttos for the 'short quest' but no luck ...

If there is a new quest somewhere that is in fact 'short' I have not found it ...

Colrain
    Well if the Dev's have their "220 only" glasses on (like it seems they nowadays always have), the Scheol quest is pretty short to the point where you get the tool. That is, if you are 220 and you know the quest by memory after doing it several times on other alts. So with those exceptions it is relatively "short".

However i still don't see ANY sense or intelligence behind this idiotic change. It was fine before. Charging multiple millions for a tool that is REQUIRED to play the game (unless you buy all your stuff, and creds) is stupid. Plain and simple. And you need symbiants (or atleast the head symb) before you get to scheol. And there's pocket bosses even in nascense. How is a low level toon, doing the nasc pockets going to get the millions of credits for the tool? They certainly can't do the scheol quest for it.

Or are we missing some new quest that is in nascense and is actually a short quest?
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast