Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fan art: high-detail female opifex model

Quote Originally Posted by Miru View Post
    Alright guys, I took the feedback to heart and repainted the Opi.

Bear with me, my monitors have different settings and she looked too dark on one and too pale on another, and I tried reaching a middle ground here.
    I really like the opifex. she looks a bit wet and sweaty, it's sexy! I think it's true that those in game are generally a bit more pale, but I like these (in my quote) much more! They have enough paleness/greyness/blue-tintish to be rather opifex-like, but are not too pale to make them less attractive.
    Last edited by Edta; Oct 18th, 2011 at 03:51:13.
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

Quote Originally Posted by Edta View Post
    but are not too pale to make them less attractive.
    Some of us happen to like marmoreal skin
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Wow... Those are some nice skins..... *Paying 1bil to figure out how to script them into my visual folder :P *

Right, I shouldn't even show this at such an early stage but I've worked on this a few days straight and feel comfortable enough to share.
    Going off the feedback from people, this should be closer to the 'real' image of opifexes. My updated, modernised take on the classic profession statue Fixer.

This is still badly WIP and lacking several parts I will add as I finish lower layers. The boots are entirely placeholder. I will make this into a fully textured realtime in-game ready model.

Face:
    Last edited by Miru; Oct 18th, 2011 at 22:19:18.

weird that thighs are that much wider than shoulders.
    might be just an illusion created by that pose or padding in pants :/

looks damn nice nevertheless
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Oct 19th, 2011 at 03:01:59.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

lovely, very much cyber punk. <3
    = Clan Storm Meatshield =

Oddgrim - lvl220 AI:30|LE:70-Enforcer |- Teh Bat-trox! : Equipment
    Kilmeister -lvl220 AI:23|LE:70-Soldier |- Cannonfodder! : Equipment
    Art gallery
    Ao wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    weird that thighs are that much wider than shoulders.
    might be just an illusion created by that pose or padding in pants :/
    While I'm going to add more volume to the jacket shoulders, yes, the model pose makes them look bigger than they are since the legs are slightly spread and the thighs have been modeled quite muscular, on par with the ingame Opifex model. The muscularity is very prominent in side view.

Texture test. I love working with Zbrush.

that looks awsome. the pose on the left seems a tad off, something about the upper cheekbones possibly being a little high, and the jaw/chin maybe being a tad wide (comparing to the current AO model), but who am I to judge, yours looks more realistic, and the middle pose is quite amazing. wish you were on the design team for the new engine stuff, looks hawt
    Last edited by SoapTarder; Oct 20th, 2011 at 19:57:58. Reason: just adding a thought to what i said
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Eyes still seem a tad large, looks good otherwise.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Miru View Post
    Texture test. I love working with Zbrush.

Like this so far best.

Really good to hear, we're on the right track then.

Hair.

no atrox love?

=(

ps.

Funcom... hire this person

Quote Originally Posted by Xkeeper View Post
    no atrox love?

=(

ps.

Funcom... hire this person
    Trox got enough love its time for opis spot in the limelight

Troxes might get love once this is done. Selfish blatant favoritism on my part, I love sci-fi girls wearing cool stuff and opis are total crack for me. And I love the aesthetics associated with fixers.

AO just manages to appeal to me on so many levels, I have to compensate for my bitterness over FC moving out of Oslo and out of my relative reach (Helsinki is a lot closer to Oslo than Montreal :/ ), destroying my secret dreams of working for them one day.
    Last edited by Miru; Oct 21st, 2011 at 08:59:31.

Looks good.

If you're trying to do a complete recreation of the one in the image you are still lacking something with the "hair" though. The old one looks more like the what ever they are that the hair hangs from are somehow impaling the "hair", and there's more than one spike thingie.
    The Red Brotherhood

Much love for the Opi looks you've got going there. Especially the headshots.
    I'm actually Ophiuchus // Cynic092 but Forum accounts are fickle, fleeting things...

Are we there yet?

Bombqueen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Looks good.

If you're trying to do a complete recreation of the one in the image you are still lacking something with the "hair" though. The old one looks more like the what ever they are that the hair hangs from are somehow impaling the "hair", and there's more than one spike thingie.
    No, I'm not going for a completely accurate recreation. I'm trying to reach a level of realism and reappropriate whatever feels illogical or impossible to occur in an organic being. The hair thing was a tricky choice since in the original model it looks like a piece of fake hair just suspended on the spike, with another one going.. Into the hair? I don't even know. So I wanted to make it into real hair growing out of the character's head, tied into ponytails. I might add some spikes to the head though. But no, I'm not going for a 100% faithful interpretation.
    These are 10+ year old models and they could get away with a lot of inconsistencies simply because a low detail level and low polycount reduce the expectation of realism in the model work. With this level of realism you have to balance between some people accusing you of being too unrealistic and some people calling it too realistic for the original work.
    The sculpting process also requires you to really consider the structure of what you're making. I guess you can sum up my approach here as trying to make it sensible and believable but cool and visually interesting. I'm also considering the viewpoint of a new player coming into the game and seeing the models. They're more likely to think 'Why is there a spike going through her hair and another disappearing into it?' than 'Why is her hair on ponytails?'
    I still do appreciate all the feedback I'm getting for these, I'm taking all of it into account.
    Last edited by Miru; Oct 21st, 2011 at 11:35:36.

If I might be so bold, then I think that's a rather weird point to work from for the following reason: They're not organic being as you and I know them. It's 30000 years from now, on a different planet, where bodies are disposable, you can create things out of thin air, and just by the point we're at now with people doing body modification in the name of style, then consider they cyberpunk look of AO. It's a posthuman world, thinking in terms of human is not how you get to the wild and outrageous design of spikes going from the head through hair.

Yes, it might be your version, but it's very much Not an AO version because of this limitation you impose upon your creativity that the original designers of AO did not have. New players asking "Why is there a spike going into her hair, how does that work?" is a far more interesting question than the non-question of "oh, ponytails".
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Oct 21st, 2011 at 13:19:08.
    The Red Brotherhood

It's a fair point. I've gotten a huge lot of feedback for this (which is an awesome thing! people care!) and I'll definitely consider it as I iterate and work the model further. Nothing is set in stone. As I said it's a tough balance to find and I try to make grounded decisions I can back up, but now that I'm really sitting down with it and putting effort into it, I want it to be as good as I'm ever able to take it.

I'll be doing some more adjustments to the face (thanks to some brilliant feedback again) and take a look at the spike thing, see what I can come up with that maintains the original feel. I've had some non-AO players give me very opposite feedback about taking the spike route, I've experimented with it and considered it but I'll look at it again. It's very challenging to work off someone else's established visual approach but this is a great learning experience for me as a 3D artist. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Miru; Oct 21st, 2011 at 13:22:57.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast