Thread: I'm completely lost.

I'm completely lost.

I tried this game once before like maybe 2 or 3 years ago I'm not sure. I tried as a free player at first but I figured I may as well get the full game with all the goodies and a subscription. I played for a few days but I just could never seem to get anywhere. I ran around lost most of the time killing random mobs. The game is just really really big and even more confusing. Also I talked to someone and he said you can't get anywhere really without nano something or other and that a new player can't afford them so you are basically screwed. I decided to quit.

Fast forward to today. I get an email from Funcom offering 30 days of free gametime. I figure why not. I don't have anything to play until next month when Skyrim comes out so I figure I'd give the game another go. I am currently waiting for the download to finish and I figured I'd see if anyone had any advice, tips, anything at all that could help a newb. I just want something fun to play and I know this game could be fun if I could just get the darn hang of it.

Do all the quests on the newbie island http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=437480

Then since you seem to have SL, do all the ones there, too. Can get some more gear and good exp.

Roll Omni.
    If you need money, find a Mission Terminal, click the down arrow for more options, set the slider to Money/Credits.
    Loot Everything, buy Backpacks.
    Loot Everything, sell at Omni shops, they pay more.
    revel in the fact you're Omni and have things like Soap and indoor plumbing in your apartment.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Screw quests. Run screaming through various locations. Get lost. Die alot. Ask for random suggestions on OOC. Randomly take some suggestions. Insult with gusto.

Here's what i usually do with my own alts though. On the starter island i do just enough quests to get a full suit of leveling armor and shoulder pad (most of these quests can be done right next to eachother since they're kill and return, you just level up to 5 wacking random things then get the quests from the guy next to the wompa - he gives you armor). Once you have the armor you pick a side, any side, and get the little square things from your side's vendor that make your armor side specific, now it levels with you and provides good protection. Buy your nanos at the machine behind the vendor dude near the whompas. Make sure to wack enough aliens on the starter island to get level 2 (ai level 2). If you wack the mobs in the middle you'll get some great weapons but you wont be able to use them unless they're melee until you get off the starter island to get ammo.

Once you're off the starter island you'll be in a city - rome if you're OT, West Athens if you're Clan, Borealis if you decided to stay neut. Every one of these cities have subways. Find your city's subway, run in there and get the leveling memory and the beggar's cloak (+35 add all def is awesome for a lowbie, the -10 str is usually a worthwhile sacrifice, remember to take it off when you do things like put in implants).

Put in prefab implants. You buy them in the lowbie shops. "Where can I buy prefab implants?" is a qood question to ask in OOC when you get lost [you will get lost, learn to say things like "I'm new, please lead me"].

Alright, you're probably about level 12 now. You got your cloak, starter implants, some ncu (get ncu for the belt that you got when you did the first quest at the starter island). You're ready to dip your toe in SL. Find the Jobe whompa. In funcom's infinite wisdom, they named the access portal to the Shadowlands "Jobe Whompa". They did many other things with SL that will entertain you.

The first is they quadrupled the exp for most outdoor mobs (compared to the same level RK mobs) so if you want to level a lowbie it's a great place to be.
    Last edited by If6Was9; Oct 25th, 2011 at 05:48:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Read a proper startup guide here in the forums or on www.ao-universe.com or. Or ask someone in PM what to do. People will always tell your stupid things like "you can't do anything with out this because it's what the consensus of dumbasses say" where it's possible to do ANYTHING in AO and still have a decent time and make a decent character.

You can basically screw around with any build you care for, there's noone says you have to do what the starter help stuff says or that you have to do what some archetype thing says.

Join IRC at irc.funcom.com and join #anarchyonline where we're a bunch of people sitting around most of the day more than happy to help out newbies, way better than those random people in OOC that do nothing but flame and shout at eachother over ridiculous problems.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Or.....ask around and find a decent Org that will provide you with a constant stream of advice and assistance with your character. be aware though, that a lot of orgs in anarchy online are more inclined to just accept anyone in order to swell their numbers.
    so spend some time looking for a decent org. these are generally the ones that will take the time to interview you, in order to find out exactly what content you have experience of, the status of your character in terms ability,level and equipment.
    make sure you ask about the status of the org also, many are "dying" and do very little group based activities due to a low player base, or simply inactivity.
    an interview works both ways and you will be wanting to get the best possible play time you can. games should be fun to play, and never a constant struggle.