Thread: I miss newbie shuttle being shot down. AO Needs more moments like that.

I miss newbie shuttle being shot down. AO Needs more moments like that.

I miss the shuttle being shot down when I made a new character when AI first came out. Why did they ever remove that? IT WAS AWESOME! It put you right into the action as soon as you log in. Think you're safe inside that shuttle, going to your new home city? Think again, this world is at war with more then just it's self! Anyone besides me remember being inside it as the whole place shook, the radio panic, and the alarms going off? You had to swim to the beach rather then spawning there by default. At least that's how I remember it. It gave me more of a reason to want to kill the aliens. I wish it could be put back in, even if it's a opt-in only thing, though I doubt it will. Another thing I miss is the arrival tunnel / huge portal room in jobe from early beta. Those were the days. Though those things don't make/break the game, and are purely aesthetics, It really made AO stand out. More scenes like that need to be put in.
    It's bureaucracy! If ya don't like, see the complaint officer. He's that towering angry robot over there cracking his knuckles.

I remember that, but it also seems like....

1) several players were in a DARK SCREEN with no way to lighten it, nor get out of the shuttle.
    2) periodically it would lock up players systems.
    3) controls at default made this difficult and new players didnt have the knowledge to change these defaults.

I miss starting off in ROME BLUE Backyards.

My first toon started in Rome Blue. Back when people were in those backyards. I think I still have the omni t-shirt from it. Now that I think of it it was a hassle hassle trying to get out of the shuttle. There are many buildings in AO where you have to jiggle your character in the doorway and keep trying till you get in, and the shuttle's exit was a lot like that. Clan Mish agency for example.
    Last edited by Eschia; Mar 3rd, 2012 at 17:57:32.
    It's bureaucracy! If ya don't like, see the complaint officer. He's that towering angry robot over there cracking his knuckles.

Same with the Omni Mission Agency.....This is a server side issue where the character doesnt seem to cross the line to initiate a server transition. I found it easier to transition walking backwards into the doorways.

Talking Omni Mission Agency, they borked the textures so bad, that the first thing that loads is LAG, second thing is a Black and green world, then Red, then it starts to build the interior of the agency.

I doubt this, but hopefully they dont just convert some of these areas, but actually remove the background / texture fills that are not necessary.

Ah ye i remember something about shuttle crash and you had to swim a little to get to the land, i actually rised my swimming skills just for that
    Just finished setting up prefs and client crashed.

I'm still amazed that on the island, they can replace all that grass with concrete as I get to the teleport tower... oh wait it's just the texture taking 2 secs to load.

I wonder if they'll ever do something with that first pier (the second for me being the one with the first Android boss).

And I do too miss that shuttle ride. Bumpy, a bit buggy but without it, I would have left right there and then. All other games, what do you get? "pop" you're in the village, look to your left, there's the first NPC with a mark over their head. Some give an overview/intro movie but it's all too impersonal, you don't see your char most of the time.

But I won't miss the arrival hall one bit. Not enough NPCs to chat with or I missed the interesting ones.

Maybe I'll write that idea I had about how -I'd- like to get into the game after all and send then that. Hopefully it wouldn't be too complicated to implement.

I remember the shuttle ride as being a bumpy 30 second ride in a really dark room, nothing remarkable about it at all.

I'm all for bringing it back, only change it to a short cut scene of a shuttle being shot at by the aliens, then the crash landing, followed by the player emerging from the burning remains of the shuttle. What an awesome intro the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    I'm all for bringing it back, only change it to a short cut scene of a shuttle being shot at by the aliens, then the crash landing, followed by the player emerging from the burning remains of the shuttle. What an awesome intro the game!
    That sounds like a good idea. There wouldn't be a issue with the exit door not working, because it would be done automatically as part of the cut scene.

agreed, bring back arrival hall, make it lighter, maybe even offer a thank you for choosing to play AO! message! i really hope funcom ditch there current games projects and improve the GREAT one they allready have, its like call of duty to build a new one called Desert stormers, it might be a bright new game, but dont forget about the client base/customers your first game was built on, got you some $$$ and with improvements and a bit of work, by LISTENING TO PLAYERS, rather than devs who dont actually "play" improve the game, by what i said dosent mean listen to one player, it means a vast majority. kthxforlooking fc, please continue about this "rebalance" and "graphics engine" but its ingame content we need! especially a SERVER MERGE!
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

the title just made me smile
    AO does need more of that kinda stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Valour View Post
    bring back arrival hall, make it lighter, maybe even offer a thank you for choosing to play AO! message! i really hope funcom ditch there current games projects and improve the GREAT one
    Arrivalhall Online! no thanks.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!