Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 25th, 2011 - Less words more screens

guess I should taken a screenshot but conan and these pics are better than star wars graphics. In fact the quality of star graphics are below warhammers and rifts graphics. I am pretty sure after 3 months of star wars people in that game will start to look around for another sci fi game. I hope ao does nt blow it and have the engine up for people leaving star wars.

Quote Originally Posted by angryturtle View Post
    guess I should taken a screenshot but conan and these pics are better than star wars graphics. In fact the quality of star graphics are below warhammers and rifts graphics. I am pretty sure after 3 months of star wars people in that game will start to look around for another sci fi game. I hope ao does nt blow it and have the engine up for people leaving star wars.
    Hey, let's go play this other game! It's an old, buggy, broken mess with far too much grinding but the graphics are slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by angryturtle View Post
    Not the 1st I heard this.. Couple friends have been playing Star Wars and said the gfx are not all that.. Understanding it's beta, but still.. Looking at a Dec 2011 release, we should be close to finished product, eh?

Don't see why AO, even buggy, cant hang with this upcoming sci-fi genre once the update is released. I mean, how far can you take an MMORPG gfx wise? It's not like you can make a Frostbite 2.0 engines level of gfx work in a game like Starwars, TSW, AoC, or AO can you?

Keeping in mind that the subscription based game genre is about to get flooded. At the end of the day we are looking at AO, AoC, and TSW for just FC alone. Bring in to the mix WoW, EVE, Star Wars... etc etc all of a sudden you have a dozen arguably popular pay to play games. I know I can't afford to play all the ones I would like to play. Going have to pick and choose.

Seems like overkill to me..

BTW is TSW on this same engine in some way, shape, or form?
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
    we are looking at AO...
    ...popular pay to play games.
    wut.

But yes, TSW is on an this engine as well. That was one of the reasons behind switching to this engine in particular, so all of FC's games would be on the same engine and upgrades could be made to graphics on 3 games simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Hey, let's go play this other game! It's an old, buggy, broken mess with far too much grinding but the graphics are slightly better.
    What's your point?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

It wouldn't surprise me if after 6 months or so there are SWTOR players looking around for an alternative. SWTOR is a fun game, but going off from quite limited playtime, it doesn't have anything close to AO's depth of player character customization, and I'm not sure how long it would stay interesting. Also, it seems a bit more theme-park and a bit less sand-box in design than AO, which may not appeal to all players.

Pictures looks great.

Have a great vacation Means

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    wut.

But yes, TSW is on an this engine as well. That was one of the reasons behind switching to this engine in particular, so all of FC's games would be on the same engine and upgrades could be made to graphics on 3 games simultaneously.
    I said, "arguably popular"..

Thanks for the info.
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    What's your point?
    My point is that some people on these forums seem to have this ridiculous idea that the new engine will be the second coming.

My point is that some people on these forums seem to have this ridiculous idea that the new engine will be the second coming.
    Why couldn't be? Don't get me wrong here.. I'm no fanboi, but If AO is going to be running on the same engine as TSW, a large scale MMORPG slated for release in early 2012, then I would think we could possibly see as close to a second coming as we are going to get.

If you think about it, by the time FC releases the engine upgrade for AO, TSW will most likely be released. Slide AoC into the fold and FC now has an MMORPG for all genre's, Past, Present, and future. All running on the same engine and arguably modern.. At least one would hope.

If FC could bring themselves to somehow cutting a deal for those who want to pay a subscription for all 3 games then I would think there would be a decent population increase for AO.

I don't know, but this doesn't seem all that crazy complicated to me.. Hell, if the timing is right FC can pump out a Funcom 3 pack deal easy and still make cash. Buy all 3 games bundled for $70.00 or so.. Pay $50.00 a month (scaled accordingly for longer term subscriptions) for access to all 3 games, and profit! eh? Take into account micro transaction stuff and junk and it could be win win.

Getting EA involved for some marketing isn't all that big of a stretch either, they already have their greedy little fingers in TSW, right? Maybe Steam??

Anyways it's to late now.. FC is committed to re-whatever to AO so we have to run with it. I doubt it can make things worse.
    Kira "twichy" Lii

DDAC

Dont get your hopes up to ever see this engine in AO lol...

The screenies are most likely photoshopped

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
    I said, "arguably popular"..
    Then you, sir, are much better at arguments than I am. There's no way I could argue AO as even remotely close to popular.

A thousand people will probably come to check it out. Will that work as a "second coming"?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

If thousands of people will come back to AO, even for short time, just to see new engine, and accidently they will want to do "leveling" of old toons/twinks/make new ones, they all will be depressed, when they discovers, that there are only 4 spots in Ely to kite/OST
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Haha someone called AO sandbox, OK lads let us stay in the realm of the real. Or at least remotely real
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

My main concern with the new engine is if it will remain backwards compatible for those with low-end graphics cards; myself being one of those people.
    I would like to be able to play with the new engine without having to spend money I don't have on a new card (actually an entirely new computer, I still use AGP)

so I was thinking, even if the engine would utilize the GPU more then it does now, perhaps they could add support for multi-core CPU renderings via threading so it would function as it would now, but utilizing the CPU in conjunction with the GPU
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    If thousands of people will come back to AO, even for short time, just to see new engine, and accidently they will want to do "leveling" of old toons/twinks/make new ones, they all will be depressed, when they discovers, that there are only 4 spots in Ely to kite/OST
    Except hecks will be running away when gray to people.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    A thousand people will probably come to check it out. Will that work as a "second coming"?
    How many of those thousand will stay once they get over the "ooh shiny" stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Then you, sir, are much better at arguments than I am. There's no way I could argue AO as even remotely close to popular.
    Thank you. I have my moments.
    Kira "twichy" Lii

DDAC

how many of those thousand will stay once they get over the "ooh shiny" stage?
    50?
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast