Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Friday with Means - November 25th, 2011 - Less words more screens

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    My main concern with the new engine is if it will remain backwards compatible for those with low-end graphics cards; myself being one of those people.
    I would like to be able to play with the new engine without having to spend money I don't have on a new card (actually an entirely new computer, I still use AGP)

so I was thinking, even if the engine would utilize the GPU more then it does now, perhaps they could add support for multi-core CPU renderings via threading so it would function as it would now, but utilizing the CPU in conjunction with the GPU
    They aren't asking you to buy a computer capable of beating Gary Kasparov at chess or Ken Jennings at Jeopardy. They are asking you to have a video card made in the last 5 years...and you've had 4 years to prepare.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Or you could just keep on playing the old client.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    How many of those thousand will stay once they get over the "ooh shiny" stage?
    I'm sure some hater will rub their magic ball and take their own biased, speculative answer of zero, just to prove their point.

The fact is that some volume of people will come back and some volume of those people will stay, even if it's just for one month. Some people might chalk that up as a 'huge phail' but I don't honestly think that the upgrade's primary purpose is to get players back for a second coming anyways, so that kind of failing assessment isn't meaningful. I believe that it's simply a matter of making AO a game they can continue to develop in their own studio with their own tools.

In otherwords, after the upgrade, they probably won't be supporting the current tools that enable them to continue developing AO.
    Last edited by Obtena; Dec 1st, 2011 at 21:46:22.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Semperago View Post
    Are there any screenshots of Shadowlands with the Dreamfall engine?

And why not make FWM, a fortnightly or monthly thing?

It seems like if you do it once a month it would be a bit more special, and there would be a more of a progress report. I call for The Anarchy Monthly (TAM) and at least we can get a substantial juicy update than a few screenshots here and there.
    Just don't read any FWM until the last friday of the month, there problem solved!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

If you could avoid snarking at each other in this thread, that would be nice. Take it to PMs, if you please.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Semperago View Post
    Actually you have a very strong point. I hope once the relaunch of AO occures, some nifty person starts an unofficial AO boards, like for example AOForums.com or AOFlames.com, then people can snark all they want.
    We had that, and it was quite good reading material. Until people quit AO, and there were none left to "snark"
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Better watch out. Sometimes snarks turn out to be boojums, and then you'll "softly and silently disappear."
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    They aren't asking you to buy a computer capable of beating Gary Kasparov at chess or Ken Jennings at Jeopardy. They are asking you to have a video card made in the last 5 years...and you've had 4 years to prepare.
    Actually im using this computer My uber hypercooled PC. I will be still able to run anarchy ? :O

Quote Originally Posted by drakio View Post
    Actually im using this computer My uber hypercooled PC. I will be still able to run anarchy ? :O
    You can run AO on this, though it'll run a little warm.

I predict this weeks FWuM will be a picture of a picture of the new engine, see what I did thar?!

I've got a question.

Why would you make the grass completely flat in the swamp for instance? Why can't you make it more "alive" with a natural movement? Like the video Means posted on youtube December 11th 2009?

You dont have to make the grass very long or so, just make it atleast a couple centimetres (ingame). Do you flatten the grass because of the overload of moving things on the client?
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 4th, 2012 at 18:45:48.

What do you even mean "flatthen the grass"? If you read the various other updates you'd know there's been issues with getting the floral maps to display properly and that it hasn't worked till just recently, far later than this post.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    What do you even mean "flatthen the grass"? If you read the various other updates you'd know there's been issues with getting the floral maps to display properly and that it hasn't worked till just recently, far later than this post.
    What I mean is that they have just put in a picture of grass and make it display on this ground. There is nothing sticking up, just completely flat. a pic of how the normal grass in ao looks like

I have zero experience with game devlopment or anything at all in that genre. But if we are to have a new engine it would be nice to see less "flat grass" and more sticking-out-of-ground-grass.

I tried to google grass in a game but I didn't come up with any good examples of how I'm trying to describe the image in have in my head.

Flat grass aint beautiful to watch at all.

So, you mean like everyone else does it and has done for the last 20 years of displaying grass? 3d grass is a feature. If it'll be everywhere, who knows.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    So, you mean like everyone else does it and has done for the last 20 years of displaying grass? 3d grass is a feature. If it'll be everywhere, who knows.
    That's the problem, using an 20 year old feature. Time for a change, don't you agree?

But I dunno, perhaps the technology haven't gone that far yet..?

I don't think you'll find major changes in graphical display technology coming out of a 1 man operation for porting a graphics engine to a 10 year old game of limited success.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post

I tried to google grass in a game but I didn't come up with any good examples of how I'm trying to describe the image in have in my head.

Flat grass aint beautiful to watch at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08cxbDxB_6g

I dont think that video is no longer proof of how the new engine will look like. Iiirc that was engine footage (or cinematics, non existant engine footage) from the old ogre engine which they later dumped.

I'm more than happy to be prooven wrong because I think that teaser looks beautiful.

Would be nice with a new updated graphic engine trailer

For an actual preview of how some of it might look, you could take a look at the grass in Age of Conan.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Would be nice with a new updated graphic engine trailer
    Means said there would be one.....about 2 years ago.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456